My 5 a side team - Xtratime Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2004, 23:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
My 5 a side team

I thought I'd be interesting and keep a sort of diary thing for the team I am in. It might be interesting for you, we'll see.

Me and a few friends decided on the spur of the moment to enter a 5 a side football league at the JJB Soccerdome in Trafford, Manchester. This was cos we all finished school and are going to separate colleges next year and wanted to keep in touch. As it was my idea, I am the manager and organise it all.

So I phoned up the Soccerdome, and they told me we had to go on a waiting list. They then phoned back the next day telling me that we could join immediately. They asked what division we wanted to enter. There are 6 divisions (Prem, Divs 1-5), and we were given the option of Prem, Div 1 or Div 2. Well we opted for Division 2, as we didn't want to be out of our depth. Instead, when we arrived, we found we were in Division 1.

This was because a team dropped out of Division 1. As it was halfway through the season, we were to take over from them, and recieve their resuls. Unfortunately, with 10 games played so far (in a 10 team league), we found ourselves bottom on 0 points. Its no wonder they dropped out. I phoned round, and got some mates. As we're all 16 and in an open age league, full of men, one mate decided it would be best to get some adults, so he got his brothers and some of his mates.

So heres the team so far.

Daniel Green (Me): Goalkeeper. I'd describe myself as an excellent shot stopper, and good at one on ones. 5 a side suits my goalkeeping, as I am not too good at coming off my line in 11 a side, but in 5 a side the box is small anyway. I have good reactions too, and my team mates so far have told me I am doing a great job. I do occasionally make mistakes though, and that affects my confidence.

John Pop: He won players' player of the year at my 11 a side team, and is an awesome defender. Hes not strong looking, but is strong in the tackle, effective and has great energy.

Joe Wharfe: Defender or Striker, he can play anywhere really. Built like a mountain and has the strength to back it. He is a decent finisher, and a good tackler. His main strength is that unlike others he won't get pushed around by grown men.

Joe Ryan: Plays mainly as a striker, but gets back well. He is skinny, but can hold up the ball well, and is a deadly finisher. He can also cover in net when I go on holiday.

Joe Stockton: When I first encountered him, playing against him in primary school (before I met him in secondary school), I was amazed at his pace and finishing. He hasn't improved too much though unfortunately, and has become more defencive. He can still take a man on well and shows a good first touch. As he is a bit weak we will play him up front, but he can drop back too.

Greg: Hadn't even played football this time last year, so not the best of players. Lacks technique and natural talent, but does try hard. I don't mean to sound mean, but he is not too useful. He is a decent tackler though.

Jarv: One of Joe Ryan's brothers' mates. Hes in his 20s and offers us some physical presence that 16 year olds lack in a mans game. He is a tricky player and difficult to get the ball off, as well as having a decent shot.

Ant: Joe Ryan's brother, and is a defender, but finishes like a striker. He is strong and capable in possession, and also gives us presence as hes in his 20s.

Ged: A tough, no-nonsense defender who is strong in the tackle. Joe Ryan's brother as well, and in his 20s. He is physical, which we lack against huge strikers.

So thats the team. I know it has 9 players, but not everyone can make it every week, and in the intense heat (its like a greenhouse effect there), subs are needed. Fortunately they're roll on roll off.

The rules are standard 5 a side. Its not allowed above the height of the boards (about 4' or something), can't shoot in area, keeper not allowed out of area, stand centimetres in front of free kicks.

So the first day of reckoning came and we were due to play "The Gladiators". They were second in the league. The players who arrived that day were: Me, Greg, Joe Ryan, Joe Wharfe, Ged, Jarv, and someone called Kev who played for a one off. He is another of Joe's brothers' mates.

Well in our first match, we struggled to assure ourselves, but found ourselves a goal up. We then scored another, and couldn't believe it, as we were pinned into our own half. We conceded one, but scored another to take it to 3-1. Unfortunately I then made two mistakes to take it to 3-3 at half time, although I did play decent enough to amend the mistakes, including a double save which nobody expected, as their striker even put his hands up to celebrate as I pulled it off. We then hit the bar, and hit the bar again, with the ball bouncing on or over the line, but the ref waved play on. Eventually we lost 10-5, as we fell apart in the second half as we were absolutely knackered. Their fitness showed, and with 3 players who none of us had even me before, we didn't work that well. 10-5 was an unfair result in my opinion, and they had a lucky goal which hit both posts and went in, and if those mistakes were cut, plus those shots which hit the bar, it could have been 7-7 really. However, 10-5 was how it ended, with Kev scoring 4 and jarv scoring the other. I was disappointed with my performance, but only cos of the mistakes, cos I played pretty good otherwise. Its a shame Kev was only there for that game, cos he was the best player on the pitch.

So to today (sunday). This time, we were absolutely bricking it, as we were due to play the Steelers, who had a record of Played 11, won 11. We were expecting a hammering. This week the players who showed were Me, Jarv, Joe R, Joe W, Joe S, John Pop and Ant. We didn't have as many men, and it was a hot summer day, so the heat was intense. We started well, but midway through the half conceded a goal as their striker found space and beat me with a one on one. We then equalised however, as Ant got forward and hit a shot into the bottom corner past the keeper. They then forced a free-kick, and despite standing in front of the ball, their taker played it back to their best player who wouldn't stop shooting howitzers, who hit a shot I was incapable of getting to, such was the power. However, we then forced a free kick, and it was layed out on the right to jarv who hit a shit that squirmed over the keepers diving body and into the net, just about. We deserved to get back in it, as we had been the better side in the half, and they didn't look like they had won every game. In the second half, we continued our good performance, and deservedly took the lead as Ant hit a wonderful goal, turning inside and curling a shot into the top corner past a helpless keeper. However, it was then lost in defence, and they had a simple shot that I couldn't stop. At 3-3, with minutes left both sides had chances, with Ant hitting the bar, and Greg missing an easy chance, as did Jarv, whilst I did my best to stop their star player from adding to his tally. Then it all changed. The ball was lost in midfield, and our exhausted players tried to get back, but they doubled up on John Pop, who couldn't deal with both, and they played a ball forward to their striker. Unable to come out of my area, I went to the line and narrowed the angle as much as possible, but their striker found space, as there was still distance between us. It finished a few seconds later, and we lost 4-3.

At the end though, they knew they had a lucky escape, and when talking at the end of the match, they acted like we were the better team, saying it was a good performance and we were unlucky. Everyone played well and were heroes, but we unfortunately lost. I was told byt everyone I was awesome today, and its no wonder I am said to be a good keeper, which was pleasing. Despite losing, we were proud, and will take confidence that we gave the best team a good run for their money.

Unfortunately, with 6 games left we are bottom on 0 points (stupid drop outs!) Having played 12, lost 12 (we've only played 2 of those matches though, against the top 2 sides). We are staring itno the face of relegation, as we are 6 points behind 9th. I think it is only one team relegated, as there are only 10 teams in the league, but if it is 2 teams, we're screwed as we're 12 points off 8th place. We can survive, and if we play like that definately will. We entered too late IMO, but can still survive. If we don't, I'm sure we'll get promotion, and we didn't even wanna be in Div 1, but were forced to. If we do survive, I am confident we can challenge in Div 1 next season. This season is not really too important, but next season will be.

~ The Green ne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:46
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
good thread TGO, indepth and detailed. I wonder how long it took you to write that.

Unlucky for you guys to recieve their results, but at least you are playing with good players, it can only be good for you. You can't improve if you play with your own level for too long. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

alm:
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:20
Rising Star

im thinking of entering a similiar thin g here problem is subscription cost 100 thousan pesos

kind of like 35 dollars

COLOMBIA

The most beautiful country in the world with the best league

ONCE CALDAS
Winner of the Copa Libertadore

America De Cali
Team I love

Deportivo Cali
the runners up (source of colombian talent)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:35
Rising Star

you need better strikers

you have mostly defensive player i woul cut a team of defensive players that play midfield attack as well so you can go 3 on defense and switch to 2-3 on attack at a pin drop

maybe something like

------green-------
--pop-----ged---
----wharfe------
stockton---------

obviously a second team could be

-----green----
--ant----jarve-
----greg------
--------ryan--

eitherway i would reccomend a more defensive possesion styled play with counter attacks when possible but space to move to a quick defense a good defensive/creative midfield is essential here and if you dont have one find one/buy one / train one try to get someone whos latin in that are to give you a little bit of style only thing i can say is practice makes perfect make a logo get shirts find supporters find players willing to play for you and buy/contract other ones

your in for little or for big

relegation isnt to bad especially wen you went to a close one try to play more practice matches and friendlies set up a day maybe friday and play a couple of friendlies work on increasing your stamina and talent get your sqaud fit up remember to try playing a non intensive wamr up friendly the day before you play a game

thats all i can say for right now..

COLOMBIA

The most beautiful country in the world with the best league

ONCE CALDAS
Winner of the Copa Libertadore

America De Cali
Team I love

Deportivo Cali
the runners up (source of colombian talent)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 16:19
BANNED!
Star Player

Wow! I wish I got to be in such a detailed league. That's something I've wanted for a long time, because I love the relegation and promotion of the PRemiership etc., and would love to play it out.

Green, if you did like that against the top 2, then you stand a great chance of surviving with 6 games to play. You probably need to win 4, draw 1, and lose 1 for 13 points, which will almost surely propel you into 9th and keep you from relegation.

Haha, very neat. You're in a relegation race just like your favourite team was Green.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2004, 21:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

STFU! We're better than City!

lol. I'm glad of the response I got, and will keep it updated. It is fun, and I still think we can stay up. I'd say our Ideal team is:

----Me
Pop----Ged
-----Ant
----Jarv

Jarv is able to create, but we still seem unable to find space. Only jarv has played in a proper 5 a side team before, so we need to adapt and work out ways of finding space. I'll post next week's report on Sunday, as thats when we play.

Thanks for the encouragement. I costs £20 entry fee and £29 a week, which split between us is very reasonable.

~ The Green ne
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2004, 19:40
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
I've won about 9 or 10 5 a side tournament sin my short career best way to play is simply..

One out and out wide man on the right.. always use as the outlet.

One man in defence... with a defensive midfielder who can cover and drop back. One offensive midfielder.. and one striker.

Don't play long balls it's not suited for 5 a side.. patient build up is the way to play as not only will you keep possestion bt you'll tire the other team out.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2004, 02:31
Legend

Teams: Arsenal & Sydney FC
with my 5 aside games, i found that long passe are hard. i just dont know why. maybe less people? however i always play short balls along the floor. try to keep your possesion, and its also important i believe to use your goalie as an "extra" person. so make him come out the box a little, and make him join in the passes. just dont lose the ball otherwise you'll be a laughing stock. its all about man advatage, if you can use goalie well, you have a extra player almost.

i also have one defender ALWAYS just staying back, in these 5 games the field isnt big, so counter attacks are quick and they dont have to run much. that one defender has to be superb, normally its me. have to read the plays well and go in for the tackle and make sure you get the ball since normally its 1v2 or 1v3.

one striker is enough. i would look at a 1-1-2-1 formation. one striker is enough. make sure he has good technical skills.

Missing the old crew: GarethUK. Wakky, Steph!, Chris, Jern :depress:
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2004, 23:54
BANNED!
Star Player

Yeah, use your keeper as a sweeper-like positition. Goals are too small for any "Beckham-esque" lobs to happen unless it's inch perfect, and the extra man you supply when trying to pass it out of the back (Very important) is vital.

On my 5-a-side team, we play a 2-1-2, with the two defenders having to be really really quick, so they can get back quickly on the rapid counter attacks that occur. They usually push up a bit, so we have more passing options.

The midfielder (me) has to be very fit, with good linking skills and a cool head, as they have to run the entire midfield, and are the only link between the defense and the strikers.

Up top, there's usually one more withdrawn striker, who sucks the other defender everywhere, then another who stays on the shoulder of the last defender, like Mike Owen. If you have a quick guy there, you can link some passes together then play a quick through ball (Usually on the floor) and he has a one-on-one with the keeper.

Out of curiosity...how big are your five per side fields that you all play on?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2004, 00:51
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
In my experience, when you play 5-a-side you can't play with a midfielder. Basically you play with 2 attacking players and 2 defensive players - you can't play 2-1-1 because you can't afford to have the striker as passenger when you're defending and have the midfielder running round like a headless chicken (he'll be nakered after 5mins). So play with 2 attackers who track back as and when necessary i.e. when 1 tracks back the other stays up and has a breather and vice versa, or if one of the defenders is caught out of position they both track back.

Look at how Ice Hockey teams line up - because that's more similar to 5-a-side than 11-a-side footbal.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2004, 01:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately keepers cannot come out of their areas, as I have frustratingly found out. I will however keep the outfield ideas in mind. We always keep one man back, but prefer to just counter attack and have two forward and one in support just behind, as we like to keep 2 back in case of counters. We play DMS tomorrow, who I think are just one place above us, so we're expecting a win. I'll report it in the night. John Pop is on holiday, and I have yet to get hold of Joe Wharfe. We'll have to see how it goes. The squad is: Me, Joe R, Joe S, Ged, Ant, Jarv, Greg and maybe Joe W.

~ The Green ne
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2004, 21:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well we lost to DMS 7-5, after being 3-0 up. We were simply not good enough. Pop, Stockton and Ged couldn't make it, so Gaz and MJ, two of Joe's friends played instead. Greg was poor, and cost us goals. Jarv had a stormer, scoring a hatrick, with Ant and Joe grabbing one each. I was told I was our only player who played well by Ant, and their defender said I was Man of the Match, but I felt I was poor. WE didn't play like we did last week, and I think its cos we had a few new players. The team we played were 7th I think, so we are running out of time. We'll just have to see. I am now away for two games, but if I find out the results will post them when I am back.

~ The Green ne
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 04:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well since I've been away we've lost two, I dunno the scores. I am playing today (sunday), so wish me luck.

~ The Green ne
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2004, 20:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Well we've played now and recorded our first win at the sixth attempt. We beat the team in 9th 10-5. The team was me, joe ryan, jarv, ant, ged, pop and a rugby player called tony. He cannot play football and turns on the ball like a tank. However he is strong and a decent tackler. He is a good defender, simply enough, which is good enough for us. He is exceptionally strong, and will add steel.

Anyway, we outclassed them. The way we passed it around seemed like we had an extra man, and it was beautiful football. We scored some decent goals from passing manoeuvres, and if we played like that could win a few more. I played alright, but was a bit rusty (I only arrived in the country at midnight sunday, so was playing only 18 hours later. I managed to make a few decent saves but was slow down to two goals, but got better as the game went on.

So at the moment we are 3 points behind Base 5, and need 4 points to go ahead. I don't know how many go down. If it is 1, we could survive, but we're 12 points behind 8th, so if its two, we're doomed. If it is two, BAse 5 are down too thanks to us. The bottom is like this:
------------------P-----W---D-----L----Pts
Base 5 -----------16----2---0-----14----6
Real la Tasca (Us)-16----1---0-----15----3

So we can survive, but it will be difficult. If it wasn't for that team we replaced (we also took their name cos we couldn't think of one), being so shit, we'd be alright. Our goal difference is grossly inferior, so a win wouldn't be enough.

Also I have noticed we're adapting to 5 a side each week. Standing in front of free kicks, movement, shorter passes and positioning is better, and runs are creating space. WE look better as a team, and could do well next season, wherever we end up. WE have two games left, so lets find out. The season just goes right on to the next one btw.

~ The Green ne
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2004, 00:38
BANNED!
Star Player

Can I ask, how big is the pitch you're playing on? Just so I can get a better idea of how your play goes.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Its hard to define really. I'd say its length is less than the width of a full size pitch. Maybe its 40 yards long. Its still fairly big. 3 of them line up by their touchlines would make a full sized pitch in length I'd say.

~ The Green ne
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 21:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Today we played against "The Players", currently 5th in the table. We were a bit excited about the match, as we had won the previous one. We found out at the front desk that 3 teams get relegated!! That means we stood no chance of staying up realistically! We also registered for next season, so we're gonna carry on come what may in Division 2.

Anyway, Greg is no longer playing for us, and Joe Wharfe has broken his toe, so they were ruled out. John Popowycz played for a team in the morning, and said he would not be fit enough to play, and Tony who played the two previous games ghad played Rugby in the morning, so also couldn't make it. This meant we had to recruit Kev, who scored 4 in the first game, but was only playing as a favour cos we needed players, returned, as did Joe Stockton for only his second game of the season.

So we started well, going 5-0 up quickly before conceding one, but immediately scoring another a few minutes later. We failed to score for a while, leaving it 6-1 at half time. Not too bad eh? We were playing well and passing fluidly, seeming to have finally adapted to the style of play in 5 a side football. We continued to dominate for the second half, and it ended up 11-3, to record our second successive win! It put us up to 9th, ahead of base 5, as our goal difference is now superior to theirs by nearly 30 goals! We've scored 22 goals in the last two games (it was 11-5, according to the score sheet on the bulletin board, not 10-5, as I reported. This took our goal difference from -79 to -57, with Base 5 going from -75 to -86. I don't know their result this week, but I expect them to have lost.

I played well, or so I am told, making some decent saves. One where I had to stop Joe Ryan from scoring an own goal by making a good reflex save. I also did a decent dribble, as Kev lost it in the area, the ball came to me, and I had to take it round the striker, staying my area. Its just like Rene Higuita!

Joe Ryan made some very good runs and harried well, and the runs created space, as well as scoring 2 goals. Jarv scored a hatrick, and when he came off for a few minutes, we missed his penetrating dribbles. Ant made some good tackles, and scored an excellent goal, nutmegging the defender with a back heel before finishing off, plus he scored another. Ged scored 1 and was a rock at the back. Kev ran the game, and was good, scoring 2. Stockton was amazing, seemingly all over the place, and showed great strength to disprove my doubts about him in a mans game.

So we played well yet again. We have one more match this season, and cannot move up, but can move down, although I doubt we will. Base 5 haven't won a game in 7 now, and even if they do win, I think we might win the way we've been playing! The bottom looks like this:

----------------P---W--D--L---GD--Pts
9 Real la Tasca 17 2 0 15 -57 6
Base 5 17 2 0 15 -86 6

I feel next season we will get promoted, as we're playing well now having adapted, and 3 go up, plus we'll be playing teams not good enough for Division 1. I feel the squad should now be:

Me, Joe R, Joe S, Pop, Ant, Jarv, Ged, Joe W(when he recovers)

That leaves 8. We like to have 7 on a match day, which is enough to rotate the team to keep energy levels up, and allows for absences. If we lose two players, we can always call on Tony, and maybe Kev if he'll play.

COME ON! TWO WINS IN A ROW! TOO LATE THOUGH!

~ The Green ne
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2004, 22:11
BANNED!
Star Player

Haha, glad to hear you're doing well.

It sounds as if on your day you could even compete with the top sides in the division if you're beating the number 5 side by such an unreasonable margin.

Good luck in Division 2. Or is it Division 1? Or is it the Championship?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2004, 00:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Haha. It goes like this: Prem, Div 1, Div 2, etc until Div 5.

Anyway, Its not that unreasonable, the games are always high scoring. Our lowest was 4-2.

~ The Green ne
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2004, 00:36
BANNED!
Star Player

Well an 8 goal margin is still a large scoreline. What are the goal dimensions?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in