Variety of Questions - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 03:50 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: Liverpool
Variety of Questions

I'm a guy who love watching soccer, and at this old age of 15 and 2/3, I'm going to decide to try out for my school team. I have some natural atrributes as being tall(6 feet), and very fast. I'm lets say pretty muscular, not to bulging but not weak. I've done alot of training by myself, and have some questions. Thing such as how to do low fast shots, and how to do some good dribbling moves, (when I play recreational I usually played winger or forward), and finally if any of you have seen the real Milan Baros play, you see he runs with his head down. I do the exact same thing, is there anyway to stop this. All tips will be greatly appreciated.

Baros + Morientes
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 10:38
World Class Player

If you search for previous threads in this forum you will find many answers to you questions.

And look up alot until you touch the ball basically and be comfortable with the ball
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old July 29th, 2004, 15:50
Rising Star

Teams: Bolton Wanderers, FC Barcelona & Brazil NT
I'll try and help ...

Low, Hard Shots - When taking the shot, hit the middle of the ball with your laces, remembering to keep your knee over the ball. Practice against a hard surface to get the hang of it.

Good Dribbling Moves - I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I guess for 1v1 situations you're talking about. I can't really explain it you, but if you go into the Video Clips section in XT, look for 'Showboat' videos. Those have a bunch of great moves you can mimic by great 1v1 players (Ibrahimovic, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc.)

So good they named him twice. Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha is considered to be one of the most skilled players that the English Premier League has to offer. With his dazzling tricks, blazing speed, and rocket of a shot, he is a deadly presence on the pitch. Captaining both club and country by his "lead by example" type of play, any club would be more than eager to sign the Nigerian wizard.

[I]"Th

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 03:36 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea one more, like I see many players with awesome finishing moves. How do they nutmeg the keeper. evertyime i see it, it looks so immpossible.

Baros + Morientes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 04:11
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Baros
Yea one more, like I see many players with awesome finishing moves. How do they nutmeg the keeper. evertyime i see it, it looks so immpossible.

Well thats the problem right there, belive it is possible and be composed infront of goal.

Obviously practice alot so you have to think less about the technique and the technique becomes automatic when deciding how you are going to finishing off a move.

Confidence and Composure is the key though.

Last edited by Faisal; August 4th, 2004 at 15:16.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 18:11
BANNED!
Star Player

Nutmegging the keeper is anything but impossible...believe .

When a keeper comes out, Milan, he has to spread out as wide as he can to try to keep you from going around him. Most keepers will also crouch a little so their hands are low enough to the ground that the player can't roll it past them. When an average height goalkeeper (6ft) comes out, if he is doing what I mentioned above (Which is what almost all goalkeepers do) then his legs will be something like 2 feet apart. This is tons of room for a player to slide the ball through, as the keeper won't be able to shut his legs quickly enough to stop the shot.

It's all about remaining composed in the situation.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 20:02 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hmm, yea your right, but what if the keeper doesn't rushout. Also where should you hit the ball, the middle or bottom?

Baros + Morientes
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 22:39
Rising Star

Teams: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Baros
Hmm, yea your right, but what if the keeper doesn't rushout. Also where should you hit the ball, the middle or bottom?
If the keeper decides not to come out then he is a fool. Most all good keepers know that they have to come out when an opposing player gets a set distance from the goal. If the keeper doesn't come out on you then get as close as you can and punish his mistake. The goal is twenty-four feet wide, if he wants to have any chance of saving the shot he will come out.

When you ask about where to hit the ball what type of shot are you talking about taking?

Sometimes finding you is like trying to smell the color nine.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 23:51
BANNED!
Star Player

I guess one v one. I would say middle, as most breakaways you want to keep the ball low, and if you hit on the bottom you generally put lift on the ball.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 02:50
Rising Star

It is easier to send the ball to the lower corners and much more effective when in a 1v1 situation. Putting the ball high in really not needed and you run the risik of pulling a Beckham and skying it.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 17:20 Thread Starter
Rookie

Lol, yea thanks for all the help. Its really helping my game out.

Baros + Morientes
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 18:26
Rising Star

No problem, glad that I could be of assistance

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2004, 02:17 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea some new problems have been developing. First of all My first touch and control is totally crap. I canm't seem to properly trap a ball, and when a fast pass is coming towards me i always miss the ball, any help on that aspect? And one problem that has alwaqys been reoccuring is that my head is down ALOT, I can't seem to remember to pull it up. Any help on that? Finally I want to hit fast, high, and Hard shots, moving or dead ball. My shots always seem to go so slow, but they are high. Is there any special technique for that. All tips will be vastly appeciated.

Baros + Morientes
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:08
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
trapping and first touch is all dependant on being comfortable with the ball. it takes time to develop this feeling. i'd suggest that you stick to basics and try not to folllow int eh footsteps of milan baros so much. if you watch any liverpool this season you'll know what crap first touch he has. frankly i think you haven't picked the best striker to model yourself after but since you ask we'll all help you.

if u've noticed, balls bounce off baros like he is a wall. i'm guessing u do the same.
if u're going to control a low, ground, fast ground pass, you know a few things. first the ball will have a lot of pace. second see the path of the ball. then you'll need to know how to control it. now if u want it to stop at ur feet without flying away, using the side of ur foot would be ideal.

how to achieve this. well u know how to pass with the side of ur foot? what i do is the same thing, lift ur foot and have the side flat and lifted off the ground a bit. that way when the ball reaches u, u've got a space between ur cleats and the turf. what that does is the top of ur foot (arch area-side) stops the ball at a high point in teh ball, and bleeds the pace on the ball and absorbs the momentum. u'll find that ur arch is almost a perfect fit. if u had ur foot just there, it'd hit the foot, no pace would be absorbed and the ball would rebound. simple physics. this takes a lot of practice. be patient. you've still got a lot of time, u're a young lad. play with the trapping, practice against a wall. it's helpful. take a ball, get a brick wall with grass surrounding it. keep side footing ur pass into the wall with a lot of power, and then trap. it's terribly simple.

good luck, hope this helps

alm:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2004, 02:12
Winter is Coming.
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool F.C, TFC, BVB
on ur head problem. what i try to do is look up before i recieve the ball and look for teammates. look down a bit to control the ball, make a run, and look up again. it's all habits. i'd suggest u get some rec time in and practice lookin up. or make yourself do pushups or some form of punishment for everytime u're wrong.

try doing some individual training. go to the field and dribble by urself, looking up at all times. i think if u do that religiously you'd probably fix ur habit.

alm:
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2004, 16:49 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow , thanks It really helped especially the trapping bit.

Baros + Morientes
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2004, 18:36
Rising Star

One main thing to remember is that you practice how your will play. If you practice bad habbits then they will follow you into a game.

Good way to learn to pick your head up is to get another person and just pass the ball back and fourth but after you pass you move. It goes something like this....Trap....Pass...Move...have your mate do the same thing. this will make it so that you have to pick up your head to find him to make the pass

Hope that helps

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2004, 04:02 Thread Starter
Rookie

How about kicking hard and high?

Baros + Morientes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in