TO Boot or NOT to Boot - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2004, 00:49 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Inter Milan
TO Boot or NOT to Boot

Ok, i've seen enough threads about soccer cleats/boots, it's time to put all the questions to rest: what's the best boot, what's it like, what's the most suitable boot for FW, DF, MF?

Im my short soccer life, i have had oppertunities to try out different brands and I am sure that most of the xtratimers do too. So, LET'S compile all of the boots that we have worn AND give a brief explaination of the advantages, disadvantages, and personal input in these cleats so that we would know what cleats to look for when we purchase different brands.

Go to http://tinychat.com/xtratimeorg, pw: inter, for chat room during Inter games!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2004, 00:59
Premier Player

Teams: Barcelona
Puma Kings are the def of the best boot ever made

When Talking To A Girl Take Notes From Mufyn

i L L punisha (10:55:50 PM): and you have the cutest little white girl ass

U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old June 24th, 2004, 04:03
BANNED!
Star Player

Ever get the feeling of de ja vu? Crazy. Best boot ever though?

Adidas Predator (Entire line)

I would say this is the best boot made, because it's so imaginative, and it's shaped boots for the future. What Adidas does, apart from the Vapour, is usually copied, and this all started with the first Predator in...'94? Ingenious thinking to create a boot to add swerve to shots.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2004, 04:04 Thread Starter
Legend

i have a few written down but i didn't have time to post. I will get them up later and share with you guys.

Go to http://tinychat.com/xtratimeorg, pw: inter, for chat room during Inter games!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2004, 20:56
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
The first proper boots I ever had were the first ever Adidas Predators they were amazing.. I remember how much spin they added to my shot! Unfortunately I grew out of them after a month. They were a little uncomfortable but for striking a ball they were amazing.

Thankfully 4 months later Adidas sent me a free pair as I was playing for Fulham youths and they try to sweet you up when your young incase your really good

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2004, 21:09
Premier Player

Teams: Italia, Juventus
I am also very partial to the Adidas predators

If I ever had to try a different boot (besides Adidas) it would probably be Diadora, or maybe the Lotto Zhero- which is the lightest boot made (I think the Adidas F50's may be the same weight)

FORZA ITALIA !!!!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2004, 22:32
BANNED!
Star Player

Errrr Vapor is still the lightest, at 7.1 ounces. Zhero is 8 or something like that. F50 is 10.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2004, 00:51
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
But the F50 has no laces.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 01:41 Thread Starter
Legend

These are the ones Iíve worn:

My first
Puma I actually forgot their exact model

These were the old kind when i was just starting to play soccer. They actually gave me pain in the beginning because they were nevertheless the new cleats. I donít remember too much about them. They didn't offer special touches, or acceleration.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 01:42 Thread Starter
Legend

Joma Morientes

These are possibly the most comfortable cleats Iíve ever worn even comparing to the new ones i have. The surface (i think it might be kangaroo) is very thick but soft.
The thickness provided great protection and the softness of the outer surface make controlling the ball a bit easier than the pumas but not the Nikes. Shooting the ball was a bit easier because the tongue is somehow attached downward so basically you do not have to worry about the shoe laces getting untied or anything that would get in the way of the foot.
There are several lining on the surface of the boots (on the sides) and they are suppose to help passing the ball, but they don't really do much; I donít feel my passing has improved by this.

One of the weird things Iíve first noticed was after you wear them and you stared at them, they seem to be pointing inward. The structure of the boot was made so that your feet are basically point a bit inward. I still donít' understand this reason and they don't seem to have much effect on the overall comfort and performance.
Another thing is that your feet actually feel a little longer than they really is.

The cleats on the bottom are circular and so you can actually feel it when you wear the shoe in extensive amount of time, nothing really dramatic though. The sole is very comfortable, even though there wasn't any "AIR" on the bottom, there is a good amount of thickness and so your sole won't feel tired. The cushioning is made very well, i was impressed but this. The problem was that with all this construction, the shoe becomes a little heavier than the others.

Several things: i've had these for about 3-4 years in rotation with my other cleats and i almost wear them in every competitive games. I've been stepped on numerous occasions and yet the skin seems to be in find condition. The stitching and the quality of the skin seem to age very well.

One of the concerns I find is that the cushioning seems to be wearing out. Nothing very visible, but I feel some pain in my toe area which leads me to thing that the frontal area is wearing out. This hadn't been a problem until of late so it's nothing really life threatening.

The shoe laces are standard sneaker type and they demonstrate; they are tough and firm.

I would recommend these for pure strikers: very comfortable even in sprints, good touches, good strike zone of the foot

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 01:43 Thread Starter
Legend

Nike Air Zoom Total 90 II

First of all, the surface of the boots are a lot poorer than the Jomas; the skin is actually very hard and slippery. The hardness of the surface allowed me to strike the ball harder and overall, I felt 'safe' in the 90s.

The best feature is definitely the side shoelace. Basically without the shoelace in the way, it was a lot easier to bring the ball down in the air. In situations such as a high ball coming down, the shoe allows me to complete control whether i were to 1. Clear the ball with a power kick 2. Bring down the ball gracefully. With this large space on the shoe, you can be certain that the ball will go where you want when it strikes you on the foot.

I usually use these in practice when i juggle the ball. Just to know where the ball should strike in the air. The linings and the skin are in also good with age (I have to admit that i donít wear them very often). The 2nd benefit is that these boots give you great one touches; it gives you power, and accuracy in your one touches. The linings on the surface also do not do much.

The cleats on the bottom are Ďlinearí; I find this more comfortable for my sole in long periods of time. They are very firm on the ground and overall this pair provides a lot of protection in its tough surface.

They are probably the heaviest of my experienced.

I would recommend these to defenders: control air ball, great for one touches--getting out of tight situations quickly and tough for defenders to make rough tackles--will not collapse on you!

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 01:47 Thread Starter
Legend

i also have Mania, Mercurial Vapor FG, and Puma Shudoh GCI FG

I just got the Shudoh and haven't really broken them in yet, i'll let you guys know. But the first impression is that they are kinda heavy.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 02:01
BANNED!
Star Player

Excellent discriptions, I've wondered about a few of these. I've never worn Joma, so I was curious as to how well they worked. While I have had Manias and such, my favourite ever boot, and the boot I had the best experience with was the FILA Reyna Vista. Kangaroo, light, thin for great touch, and good stud allignment allowed good traction. I've never worn any other FILA boots though. Anybody else have any experiences with Fila boots and can describe them?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2004, 21:34 Thread Starter
Legend

i'm going to write more later, but does anyone know about the lottos? or diadoras?

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2004, 14:46
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
adidas are my favorite type of boot as of right now but the nike t90s just seem so apealing to me but i love my dx3's they provide me wit comfort the only thing is that i find that adidas started breaking after a year the bottom of the shoe starts coming off from the sole/cleat part on the bottom. and the lacing on my dx3's broke and the boot shrinks and becomes tight on your foot width wise which is why i will probably try a different boot next year

im back for the first time
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2004, 00:26
BANNED!
Star Player

So essentially Adidas are brilliant except for the fact that they fall apart and stop working and you are switching boots? I am curious about the Lotto Zhero right now. That seems like a good boot, but I haven't gotten to wear it, so I was wondering. Any help would be appreciated!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2004, 04:01
Rookie

Teams: manchester united and benfica
guys can you give me your experiences with the nike vapors ? because im thinking of either buying the nike air zoom 2 or the nike vapor but i got to make the decision fast.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2004, 14:26
Rising Star

Teams: Bolton Wanderers, FC Barcelona & Brazil NT
Vapours are a bitch to break in (at least they were for me). I had the worst heel blisters so I had to tape them before each game. Once you finally break them in, they're a really good boot. Extremely light, which is great for sprinting if you're a winger/forward.

Couldn't tell you anything about the new Air Zooms ... but I heard they're a decent boot ...

But like others said: doesn't matter what boots you're wearing; it's what is inside your boots that count.

So good they named him twice. Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha is considered to be one of the most skilled players that the English Premier League has to offer. With his dazzling tricks, blazing speed, and rocket of a shot, he is a deadly presence on the pitch. Captaining both club and country by his "lead by example" type of play, any club would be more than eager to sign the Nigerian wizard.

[I]"Th
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2004, 17:46 Thread Starter
Legend

i haven't had the time or the energy to break into my vapors. I know they are real light but comfort is zero imo.

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2004, 00:59
Rookie

Teams: manchester united and benfica
So you guys think I should get the Air zooms 2's since the vapors arent comfortable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in