Who watch Golden Cup? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2000, 04:39 Thread Starter
Premier Player

OK, if we like to talk about Women Football, we must find a subjust and not leave this board empty.
So how about Golden Cup? The final is coming, USA vs Brazil.
Pity that China were kicked out by penalty shoot-out...

Any comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2000, 05:35
International

OK… you confused me there. The final was July 3rd… the US won ……
This is an article about the final,

U.S. women win Gold Cup over Brazil
FOXBORO, Massachusetts, July 3 (Reuters) - Tiffeny Milbrett's brilliant strike in the 44th minute proved the difference as the U.S. women's national team beat Brazil 1-0 to win the CONCACAF Gold Cup title on Monday at Foxboro Stadium.
Milbrett's goal, a sizzling left-footed volley from 12 meters, came off a pinpoint pass from Mia Hamm to lift the world champions, who dominated Brazil in a fast-paced, physical match played before a vocal crowd of 20,123.
``She (Milbrett) is explosive with the ball at her feet,'' said U.S. forward Hamm. ``The goals she scores are very thoughtful goals, she just looks at the keeper and picks her target.''
The goal was the 76th of Milbrett's 147-match career and came only six days after the United States and Brazil drew 0-0 in first-round play of the inaugural eight-nation tournament.
Hamm, playing more of a midfield role for the Americans, set up the strike with a perfect pass that Milbrett one-timed past goalkeeper Andreia into the left side of the net
The U.S. nearly doubled its lead a minute later when Hamm headed the ball to Kristine Lilly, who headed wide to the right from six meters.
Brazil's had a pair of first-half chances with Katia DaSilva and Sissi coming close and Sissi again threatening early in second half.
Sissi sent a 28-meter shot off the crossbar in the seventh minute, while a cross from Deva was volleyed over the bar from 18 meters by DaSilva at 28 minutes.
Brazil was content to play a close-marking game for most of the proceedings while looking for a quick counter attack.
The visitors nearly grabbed an equaliser in the 59th minute when Cidinha put Sissi through on the right side only to have goalkeeper Siri Mullinix save with a sprawling slide at the top of the goal box.
``The U.S. has some very good players who know where to be at the right time,'' said Brazil coach Jose Duarte. ``We respect the U.S. team very much.''
At 85 minutes, Rosana drilled an 18-meter shot just over the bar as the home crowd heaved a collective sigh of relief.
``This is by no means where we want to be,'' said Milbrett. ``We're going to use this (victory) as a springboard for Germany and hopefully use it to take us into Sydney.''
The U.S. embarks on a five-game tour of Europe on July 19 with matches in Germany and Norway as pre-Olympic warm-ups.

In the third-place Gold Cup match, China beat Canada 2-1.
The Chinese got the game-winner in the 73rd minute when Haiyan Qui knocked in a loose ball from eight meters after goalkeeper Nicole Wright misplayed a high ball in the area after colliding with a defender.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2000, 01:02
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
It'll be interesting to see what happens when they play on foreign soil. They've only events staged in the US. I like the fact they play open attacking football, but I really get sick of the hype. The USA only likes winners and the women's team wins. I like the team but I hate all the crap that goes along with them. Something that always bugged me was when Italy lost to Brazil in the scoreless draw in 94 (it went to penalties) the media made fun of soccer. The penalty shootout was a joke, stupid etc.. However, when the USA beat China in a scoreless draw that went to penalties, the shootout was the most exciting thing anyone had ever seen. It was just so hypocritical. Just because the USA won another trophy, the penalty shootout which was such a joke suddenly became the most amazing thing. Brandi Chastain became a national celebrity for scoring a penalty kick. You're supposed to make penalties!

Anyhow, I don't fault the team for their fame. I think it's good for women's sports and especially younger girls. They need role models and something to encourage them to play sports with real competitive fire. I teach PE, among other things, and to be honest, most girls don't like to compete. They don't like that sort of attention. The USA team is good because they are very competitive and also seen as feminine. What still gets me going (obviously), is how full of crap Americans are about soccer. If a bunch of foriegners play it then it sucks and is open to intense ridicule. However, if a bunch Americans win something then it is the greatest game ever created. What Crap!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2000, 16:49
Rookie

I think the US womens team is way better than the mens team. The main reason the US womens soccer team is so strong is because in general the people in the US respect womens sports more then they do in other countries. But soccer is still not so popular in the US because they dont have respect for soccer in general. They think of it as a threat to their "american sports".

[Edited by Inter Fan on 11-07-2000 at 17:59]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2000, 07:39 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Sorry LadyEagle, I got way too outdate here

Yeah, it's cool that US won it (not China though)

And yes, the US men team is too weak, they should ask FIFA to let their women team play in WC2002, actually

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in