Xtratime Community banner

San Diego Spirit News

868 views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  Freddie 
#1 ·
Source: Women Soccer News - 27 January, 2001

San Diego will host the first-ever WUSA Spring Training from March 22-31 at the ARCO U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California. All eight WUSA teams will be at the OTC for 10 days of training and pre-season matches. The teams will arrive in San Diego on March 21st and commence training the next day, playing games against each other on four match days. The U.S. Under-21 and Under-19 Women's National Teams will also participate in matches against the WUSA teams, meaning that 200 of the top female players in the United States will be in training.

The WUSA teams may divide into split squads to maximize the game action for all the players. The WUSA coaches should have close to their final squads picked by the time they arrive in San Diego, with the final roster of 20 due into the league office on April 2nd.

Six fields will be utilized at the OTC for WUSA Spring Training, as the teams will use the four regular soccer fields in addition to two high-quality pitches at the archery range.

All teams will return to their respective cities on April 1 and the first season kicks off on April 14 as the CyberRays visit the Freedom at Washington D.C.'s RFK Stadium. The other six teams will open their seasons the following weekend with two games on April 21 and the Spirit opener on April 22 vs. the Philadelphia Charge at the University of San Diego's Torero Stadium (7 p.m. kickoff)

Here's the San Diego Spirit's schedule for the brand new season:

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/wusa_refs/wusa_sandiego.html#jan25spirit :cool:

See less See more
#4 ·
Big thanks for the schedules giglio :star:

So any plans to hop across da border to see Charmaine H?

Come April I will see Gao Hong first, then Sun Wen, then Kelly Smith, then ...

:D

#8 ·
giglio,

I thought you can always edit your own post :confused:

Freddie,

Perhaps it is because you can't fit into a "chick's soocer t-shirt"? Sorry, but you can try sticking your pony tail through one of those "chick's baseball caps." :D

#9 ·
Bonita said:
I thought you can always edit your own post :confused:
So did I, but when I tried I got the following message:

The admisitrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 1440 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.:sob: (the smiley wasn't part of the message, that was me)

#10 ·
giglio, I found this in the moderators' forum.

Can I edit my own posts?
Registered users can edit their posts while only moderators, community managers and the administrator can delete topics and posts. Therefore you need to ask one with the ability to delete posts to do it for you if you need it done. You can edit your post up to 24 hours after you have posted it, which means that if you post something you have one day to change your mind and edit it or it stays as it was posted. It is both to prevent people making topics incomprehensible by editing things out, but also to avoid people going back on their word or trying to escape punishment for what they posted. To edit your posts, just click the edit/delete icon by your post.

When you make modifications to your posts, a note will appear at the bottom of the post telling other users that you have edited your post. Moderators and administrators can also edit your messages and because we believe that such actions should be held accountable post will equally be marked in those cases.
I guess that's that. But if you do need to edit your information after it was posted for 24 hours, PM me and I'd be more than happy to help out. :cool:

#12 ·
IT MAY BE A PLAN ...

but it's never pre-meditated :D

Anyway here's the latest news on the San Diego Spirit and Atlanta Beat. Looks like an exciting friendly. Let me know what you think. :)

Source: womensoccer.com

San Diego Spirit and Atlanta Beat,the two Cox Communications owned teams, will meet and play in the very first ever WUSA game. The exhibition game will be played on March 11th 2001, in El Paso, Texas and is being sponsored in-part by KFOX-TV El Paso/Las Cruces.

San Diego Spirit players
Arkenberg, Traci Forward Height 5-8 Born 2/15/76 in Torrance, California
Babel, Jen
Defender Height 5-4 Born 10/31/78 in Bellflower, California
Bengtsson, Kristin
Midfielder Height 5-7 Born 1/12/70 in Gothenburg, Sweden
Boxx, Shannon
Midfielder Height 5-8 Born 6/7/77 in Fontana, California
Brown, Kara
Defender Height 5-3 Born 10/26/77 in Farmington,Connecticut
Fan Yunjie
Defender Height 5-5 Born 4/29/72 in Henan, China
Fawcett,Joy
Defender Height 5-5 Born 2/8/68 in Inglewood, California
Foudy, Julie
Midfielder Height 5-6 Born 1/23/71 in San Diego, California
Karlsson, Ulrika
Goalkeeper Height 5-9 Born 10/14/70 in Osterfarnebo, Sweden
Kester, Sherill
Midfielder Height 5-3 Born 3/7/78 in High Point, N.Carolina
Koleski, Tara
Forward Height 5-2 Born 7/20/77 in Phoenix, Arizona
MacMillan,Shannon
Midfielder Height 5-5 Born 10/7/74 in Syosset, New York
Mascaro, Jen
Midfielder Height 5-6 Born 5/25/78 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Montoya, Erin
Midfielder Height 5-3 Born 4/30/75 in Freemont, California
Oceguera, Gina
Defender Height 5-7 Born 9/4/77 in Mountainview, California
Pagliarulo, Jaime
Goalkeeper Height 5-7 Born 7/20/76 in Hershey, Pa.
Pickup, Kim
Defender Height 5-9 Born 3/4/78 in Van Nuys, California
Ribaudo, Melissa
Defender Height 5-3 Born 5/13/75 in Castro Valley, California
Sharpsteen,Trudi Midfielder Height 5-5 Born 11/5/64 in Los Angeles, California
Tiejten, Margaret
Midfielder Height 5-9 Born 7/14/77 in Mineola, New York
Wyscinsky, Missy
Forward Height 5-5 Born 5/26/78 in Woodbridge, California

Atlanta Beat players
Sun Wen, Forward
Kylie Bivens, Defender
Sharlota Nonen, Defender
Marci Miller, Midfielder
Nancy Augustyniak, Defender
Kerry Gragg, Midfielder
Lisa Krzykowski, Midfielder
Julie Augustyniak, Defender
Charmaine Hooper, Forward
Briana Scurry, Goalkeeper
Melanie Wilson, Goalkeeper
Kelly Cagle, Midfielder/Forward
Mary Pitera, Defender
Emily Burt, Forward
Bryn Blalack, Forward
Kimberly Engesser, Forward
Dayna Smith, Defender
Maite Zabala, Goalkeeper
Melissa Roth, Forward
Nicole Lamb, Midfielder
Laurie Black, Defender

Unfortunately I seem to have more Spirit info than those of the Beat. If you have updates please add to this, thanks!

:cool:

[Edited by Bonita on 05-02-2001 at 02:46]

#13 ·
Bonita, you're scaring me! :eek: :stress:

Although your Atlanta roster looks up-to-the-minute (it includes the four new players drafted on Feb. 4), certain names are conspicuously absent:
Cindy Parlow
Homare Sawa
Nikki Serlenga

What happened to them? :dazed: :(

The Atlanta Beat website has a team roster which has not yet been updated to add the four new draftees (who are the last four listed in your post above).

BTW, your San Diego roster does not include the four new draftees Karissa Hampton, Sara Streufert, Holly Broome, and Erica Strey.

[Edited by giglio on 05-02-2001 at 23:34]

#14 ·
Hey giglio, what's scaring you? My snail-moving information source on WUSA teams or the communique from Moderators Haven? ;)

Well on the Spirit and Beat, I will try to piece together news clips here and there; hopefully by end of March we will finally have a real update. :rolleyes:

Now, about the mods' opinion on editing posts within 24 hours - all I can say is, geez giglio, Rome ( and Lazio and Firenze )is not built in one day !!

:D

#16 ·
What scared me?

The omission of the three aforesaid players from what was obviously an up-to-the-minute current roster gave me heart palpitations, until I could verify on the team website that they hadn't been sent down to the W-League - or worse, sold to New York. :D
Freddie, whatever it is, it's not enough.

#17 ·
giglio,

We in New York would love to take Sawa and Parlow; and while we're at it, I will take Sun Wen anytime ;)

What do you say if we work together sometimes to put in order a comprehensive WUSA team-by-team player guide? Say, in the next several weeks when we both have time?

posted by Freddie
So what kind of money are the players going to be paid for their services?
Freddie,

Not much I am afraid. Sadly, one of the December drafts, a well known international, was sold for less than the cost of a Pentium unit. :rolleyes:

Unlike the mens world, our road is not paved with gold and diamond but that has not taken the will power out of the womens game.

:cool:

#19 ·
NOW WHY DID THE WORLD SKIP A FEW BEATS !?!? ... :D

No hair jokes? But that color !! It's ten times better than Lalas' and more delicious I bet ;)

What happened between the late 1970s and now?

#22 ·
THAT NAME RINGS A BELL

Well Freddie, the L.A. Galaxy beat the Chinese NT 3-1 yesterday (in China). There's a pic of Lalas tackling the opposition's star forward Zhang Yu-ning.

Geez, since when did Alexei get so bloated?! :lala: Maybe it's time he's actually becoming a better player?

Dunno. But you should consider joining us here for updates once WUSA kicks off. ;)

#23 ·
Lalas is a fat *******! Ha! Leave him in China!

The Freedom has a couple double-headers scheduled with DC United this season... maybe I'll go early and get two hours extra beer guzzling time. By the second half of the United game I should be ready for a knife fight with a Salvadoran!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.