Is it soccer game or soccer match? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 00:35
Alicia

Please help me all you soccer fans! I need to know if the proper english term for a soccer event is a game or match?? Please help a girl out! Thank you! -Alicia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 03:49
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Hi Alicia, first, welcome to our forum

The term "match" originated from England and is used widely in the U.K., continental Europe, Africa and Asia while the word "game" seems to be the catch-all for any sport played in the U.S. And if I am not mistaken, Canadians and South Americans also prefer the word "game." Although my beloved Argentine players will never tell you that soccer is a game, it is their life-blood

Hope that's useful.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 04:35
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Hi Alicia!

Soccer terminology can be confusing. Here in Canada, as Bonita pointed out, game is the more common term. But with increased exposure to English soccer on TV, many fans are taking to using the British terms, as a kind of mark of sophistication. So it's not unusual to hear someone say, "What was the final score in the match?" and receive a reply such as "Two-nil".

One that used to confuse me was the British use of the word tie to mean a match or game, as in "Saturday's FA Cup tie between Rovers and United was postponed because of a frozen pitch." To a Canadian, tie means what the English call a draw - that is, an even score between the teams. And a pitch is where you play horseshoes!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 16:16
Alicia

Thanks for your help! Any more opinions?
-alicia

[Edited by Alicia on 18-01-2001 at 17:23]
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 16:28
International

Call it a match... you'll sound more authentic!

Also a pet-peeve I have as a goalkeeper... please don't ever call that position goaltender! It is goalkeeper. You've never seen a goalie coming out for a cross yelling "TENDER, TENDER'S BALL!!", right!? Hockey has goaltenders.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 16:50
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Benfica; Portugal
See, Alicia. It depends whether it's women or men playing. For instance, if it's women and it's raining, it can be called "mud wrestling", too. In this case the field (or, Pitch) would be called "ring".

See the difference?

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 17:09
International

Uh oh. Don't scare Alicia outta here Pila!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 17:11
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

That was my "mild" post. Originally, I was gonna call it "wet t-shirt contest".

Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2001, 17:45
XT Consultants
International

Pila and Freddie,

Stay around guys, you won't regret watching the Philadelphia Charge's Liu Ailing and Kelly Smith tackle Mia Hamm in a match against her DC team once WUSA kicks off in April.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2001, 18:19
International

OK, I'll tiptoe in with some opinions about the women's game:

I remember seeing all the press a couple months ago when US beat Brasil about how noble and stoic Hamm was to take the beating she took only to pick herself up after each wack and go on without complaint or retaliation. She was touted as a role model for sportsmanship.

BS. If you are getting pounded and the ref is doing nothing to protect you then you are a chump and a sucker if you don't retaliate. Someone needed to step up and crunch the hacks on the other side. It is a hard, tough game and if you don't want to give the licks back I say stay home and bake cookies. Man or Woman.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2001, 23:02
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
I don't know if you've noticed, but they tend to give out red cards for retaliation offences. I don't think Hamm would be doing anyone a favour by that course of action.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2001, 00:43
XT Consultants
International

Giglio's point is well taken.

That said, I think there is just too much hype in the press--American press in particular--about female soccer players. We are good (yeah ) but journalists want to tone it down. Why? Sex sells. So we ended up with "This is my game this is my future watch me play" as a slogan for the 1999 WWC. Yeah, women endure. But we are better than Arena and/or his Men's Team.

Btw Freddie, I play in an all male team. And Gustav, our Chilean defender makes the best cookies.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2001, 14:37
International

Giglio, I've played the game for 30 years and counting... I have a pretty good grip on the rules.

Hamm would be doing herself a favor to retaliate. Pele was one of the nastiest guys when he had to be. All the pounding he took he gave right back. You don't turn aroung and wack the guy who wacked you immediately... what you do is wait at least 10 minutes and when your target is on the ball you go for the ball and do your damage to the player at the same time... then whisper something in his ear regarding his mother's sexual habits. Take your yellow card and keep playing.

Bonita, the Women have no competition save for Brazil, China and Norway. And if the US Men played the US Women with the Men playing for real what do you think the score would be? I gaurantee it would be at least 10-0 to the Men... at least. But don't misinterpret... I say all the power to women and girls who want to play and opportunities for them should be unlimited. Title IX sucks though!

And Peruvians are the best cooks!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2001, 02:20
XT Consultants
International

Freddie my friend, the Men's Team has been around for donkeys years and the Womens just got started. Yeah, the night's still young.

I agree with you about Title IX. Now I look at things from a different perspective ever since learning the painful truth that our Supreme Court coud override popular decisions. But on a lighter note, there are gifted female players and that's that. I don't think it's probable, but if there is a match between the genders, I'd love to see it on your turf, the RFK Btw congratulatins to DC United, a good beginning.

The trick to "getting only yellows and playing on" sounds nice on paper. In reality it always backfires. Remember Kluivert in the World Cup? And look at Marcus Camby last week, he was just two paces to nirvana when ...

Peruvians make good cooks? There is an even better Latin gourmand. Batigol hunts, prepares, cooks and parties Too bad I stop eating much red meat these days.

Forza calcio.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2001, 13:25
International

Well, I must admit I am blustering a bit about the retaliation issue. The real key is to be alert and aware to avoid the cheapshots. And you can get someone's attention with a clean tackle as well.

I have a teammate who played some pro and he maintains an incredible fitness level and a first class professional approach... I was breathing fire after a bad tackle on me in a game last year and he reminded me that the best way to retaliate is to help stick the ball in their net and stop them from doing the same to us. Walk off the field a winner. Also, he never speaks one word to an opponent on the pitch, another good idea.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2001, 20:42
Teka

Well, Bonita and Freddie, is it"game" or "match"?LOL
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2001, 21:22
International

When two football sides meet to contest each other under the official rules of the 'game' of soccer, then that contest is called a 'Match'.

When you go to the practice field and follow the coaches orders and drill and run and drill and run and drill and run as hard as you can and scrimmage if he lets you, then that is called 'Training'

When you get 8 players together no matter the weather for a 4 on 4 contest on a little patch of ground with no ref and small goals, then that contest is called a 'Scrap'.

When you go outside by yourself with a ball and spend two hours doing some stretching, sprints, calisthenics, and skill work, then that is called 'Dedication'.

When you are done with any of the above and you go for a beer and you feel great because you've fought hard and the blood and adrenaline has been coursing through your body, and you hook up with a good looking member of the opposite sex for a little of the horizontal tango, then that is called 'The Greatest Feeling on Earth'
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2001, 02:03
XT Consultants
International

HORIZONTAL TANGO ?!?!

Now I know why I am a dedicated Argie.

Freddie, allow me to steal this for my "Once Upon a Time" forum at www.laziomaniaforums.com
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2001, 16:10
International

Fine, if we can say "may I post with credit to the author" instead of "can I steal"

If any revenue flows from it I am sure you will divert the stream my way.. with your 5 percent broker's commission deducted upfront, of course!

[Edited by Freddie on 24-01-2001 at 17:23]
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2001, 16:27
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yo, Freddie!

I have some constructive comments on your new web site:

It sucks!

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in