FIFA 2006 POTY - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old October 13th, 2006, 04:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
FIFA 2006 POTY

The following twenty women (in alphabetical order) are in contention for the title of FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year 2006:

Laura Georges (France), Duan Han (China PR), Laura Kalmari (Finland), Kristine Lilly (USA), Renate Lingor (Germany), Xiaoxu Ma (China PR), Marta (Brazil), Malin Moström (Sweden), Monica Ocampo (Mexico), Cathrine Paaske Sørensen (Denmark), Kum Suk Ri (Korea DPR), Silke Rottenberg (Germany), Cheryl Salisbury (Australia), Lotta Schelin (Sweden), Christine Sinclair (Canada), Kelly Smith (England), Sandrine Soubeyrand (France), Ingvild Stensland (Norway), Cynthia Uwak (Nigeria), Abby Wambach (USA).

The winners of the player of the year award will be announced at the 16th FIFA World Player Gala at the Zurich Opera House on December 18th. The Committee for Women’s Football and the FIFA Women’s World Cup, in conjunction with women’s football experts from other FIFA committees, came up with the above nominations.

I guess it's Marta's year this time.

Last year's thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2006, 20:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Umeå's Marta chases world crown
Wednesday, 29 November 2006
in uefa.com

Having finished third in 2004 and second last year, the Umeå IK forward Marta will hope to go one better when the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year is named on 18 December in Zurich. The Brazilian is on a three-player shortlist along with German international Renate Lingor and United States striker Kristine Lilly.

Final run
The 20-year-old Marta scored seven goals in as many games as Umeå reached the final of the UEFA Women's Cup earlier this month, including a double in each leg of the semi-final against Norway's Kolbotn IL as the Swedish champions romped to an 11-1 aggregate success. Kolbotn had ended 1. FFC Frankfurt's challenge in the previous round, although Lingor, 31, had played a starring role as they won the trophy in 2006, as she had in the inaugural final in 2002. Lilly, 35, is a veteran of 317 caps and 116 goals. Nine European players on the original list of 20 players failed to make the shortlist.

--------------------------------

Boa sorte Marta! You surely deserve it

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2006, 23:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Brazil's Marta wins FIFA women's player of the year award
AFP in Zurich
December 18, 2006

Brazilian international Marta won the FIFA Women's World Player of the Year award.

Marta, 20, was making her third consecutive appearance at the award cermony in Zurich, despite her youth, after helping Brazil win silver at the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004.

The Brazilian striker headed US veteran Kristine Lilly, 35, who passed the 300 national caps mark this year -- a record for any player -- and Germany's midfielder Renate Lingor.

Marta plays for Swedish club Umeå, because the game in Brazil has yet to reach professional status for women.

"I play in the national team, but you must take into account that in Brazil you have people who know how to run a team, but there is not much interest in women's football," Marta said shortly before the award ceremony.

"Perhaps the CBF (federation) should speak to the clubs about forming a league in Brazil," she added.

-----------------------------------

Finally! PARABÉNS MARTA!!!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2006, 11:13
Rookie

Teams: I dont support teams, teams support me
I hate to say I told you so, but I did. Like I always do. Marta = world class.

I have arrived. The end of the puny place you call home is near. Surrender to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in