Now a word from your moderator: happy to greet you - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Why do you think there are so few posts in this Forum?
I do not know this Forum existed until I run into it by chance 2 9.09%
It is difficult to find the Womens Soccer Forum 0 0%
There is a lack of interest in Womens Soccer in general 13 59.09%
The topics here do not interest me 4 18.18%
None of the above, see my explanation in the following post(s) 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2000, 03:20 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Hi there, I just wanted to introduce myself and, hopefully, learn more about you.

I live in New York City and have been a soccer fan since I was 7. I also play the sport whenever I am not working on my doctoral projects. My position is DM.

Over the next several weeks I will be posting a series of polls and/or topics so that we can find out more about each other and things we want to discuss.

Here is the first poll ... and thanks in advance for your participation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old October 14th, 2000, 01:09 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

For those who had voted that "there is a lack of interest in Women's Soocer," will you be more specific -- like, what would you want to see here to spark some interets in this Forum?

Please leave your comments.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old October 17th, 2000, 07:17
International

Well, actually I prefer to watch the men playing. It's just more exciting. When we have a women's league in the US, I think it will be easier to spark people's interest. I am very supportive of women's soccer, but I must be honest and say I don't know that much about women's soccer (just like I don't know that much about MSL--other than a few Metrostars games I don't watch it very often). It just lacks something. Maybe it's just the excitement and passion. All I know about women's soccer is my own experience and that‘s not very relevant here.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2000, 03:04 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

I know what you mean. I like watching the men play too and who would want to miss Batistuta's bullet-goals or Almeyda running shirtless on the pitch?

That said, I also think women's soccer may be the next wave of trendy sports. It is played with more speed, more space and a lot more attacking. If they cut out some of the long passes and retain more Latin style footwork, it will be almost perfect.

When we mention "Women's Soccer" we often think about the U.S. Women Team. That's not fair. Norway worked hard for years and they finally beat the U.S. for the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics. China was the host of the first Women's World Cup in 91. Sissi, the Brazilian striker trained with the guys from the National Team. And Italy--whose star player Carolina Moratti became coach of a male Serie B club--was so negligent of their women's team that the players have to hold full time jobs to make ends make.

The first time I first saw a women's soccer match, it was difficult to concentrate. There were indeed something strange ... Later on, I realized that was my prejudice at work. I do have one thing about the U.S. Team. It is their publicity department. Remember that obnoxious slogan for the 99 World Cup? "This is my game, this is my future, watch me play"

Having said that, I would see any U.S. women's matches, be it the NT, a college game or a league game next year. (Especially when I heard that players like Sun Wen, Gao Hung, Liu Ailing may be recruited.) I won't say the same for the MLS (and if Lothar Mattheaus stays one more season I will begin to lose interest in the MetroStars).

Over the next several weeks I will post some player-related topics. Till then, do feel free to add new posts to this Forum.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2000, 13:10
Legend

Well, Bonita many huge congrats from me I think it's absolutely super that the Womens forum has a moderator, who will try and liven this place up Really, it is great news, and i think it's obvious to you, you'll have a diffcult time making his place come to life Womens Soccer is still a very young sport, not many care for it Nevertheless it's really nice to see you trying to make a difference - I wish you the best of luck!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2000, 04:11 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

Thanx Labas !!! Now I can practice the zen of one hand clapping ... Seriously, I believe there are many of us who want to learn more about this Forum and, hopefully, revive it !!

All we need is patience and more posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old October 22nd, 2000, 04:25
Premier Player

Bonita! A writer in New York City? Me, too! (Honestly.)

OK, enough small talk. To answer your question: I didn't even know this forum existed, and I never thought to look for it. I only found it because you posted the last message before I logged on tonight, so your name was at the top of the list on the opening page. I was drawn to it because I'm a Brazil freak, and "bonita" means "pretty" or "beautiful" in Brazilian Portuguese.

Another reason I never thought to look into the female forum: The United States' dominance is ruining the sport by making it boring and predictable. I mean, why should I watch the Brazilian women tackle the U.S. women when I KNOW the U.S. women will win? Look, even though the Brazilian MEN dominate their side of the sport, almost all their games are competitive. There are very few walkovers.

You want another reason? I'll be honest: Outside of the U.S. and Italian women, most of the women I've seen playing football are not very attractive. I know this shouldn't be a reason to watch sports (after all, I don't think any of the men are attractive, yet I watch them every chance I get), but it is a reason.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old October 23rd, 2000, 02:19 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

falcao, really, are you also a writer? Or are you also from NYC? Or a bit of both?

I am glad you came to this Forum by chance, and thanks for your vote. IMO, the U.S. dominance in Women's Soccer may be waning. Their players are too old and there are internal problems vis a vis coaching, etc. With the formation of a professional league next April, there will be serious competitions from abroad.

Brasil played beautifully in the Sydney Olympics against the U.S., they lost because of a controversial goal. But Brasil did not continue to vie for third place ... too bad.

However, this is not a good reason to shun Women's Soccer. In Men's Soccer there are at least half a dozen so-called "dominating teams," but hey, why are we still watching the underachievers?

As for your "second reason," well, looks are everything !! And why is Gabriel Batistuta the most attractive man on earth? Because he scores !! For the same reason, there are no words to describe the beauty of a Sun Wen header, or a Pretinha freekick. And, of course, that golden goal scored by Norway's Dagny Mellgren that broke the U.S. Women's heart was the sweetest !! BTW with few exceptions I think people who play soccer--including the lads in the Argentine NT--are naturally attractive (or, if you prefer, "muito bonita, muito bonito".)

Keep posting.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2000, 08:01
Premier Player

Bonita, I'm both, just like you: a writer AND a New Yorker.

Well, all I can do is agree with you that the U.S. women's game is in decline. Most of the top players (Foudy, Hamm, Chastain) are in their late 20s or early 30s. Chastain is 32. The recent issue of Sports Illustrated for Women has a story (or at least a few paragraphs) about the topic, but I haven't read it yet. There's a great picture along with the words, showing the somber women's team lined up to collect silver medals.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2002, 21:45
mfa
Premier Player

Teams: F.C.PORTO / Gil Vicente F.C.
Like this:
Women's soccer is at the level we all know, but European women's soccer is way worse than that.I refuse to even talk about women's soccer in my country. So, as far as I can talk, it has no coverage, so it's quite difficult to develop knowledge about it, enough to participate in a forum.In the US, it's going better, but I'm not living there...
Of course men's soccer is played at another level, and physical charatheristics would be enough to explain that.But if women's soccer had just more coverage, I know I'd be as interested as in men's soccer and this forum would rule as rule all the others.

div

25-Ricardo Fernandes ...27/06/2003 12/07/2003 14/07/2003 ... ... ...FCP

Hey O'Neill, take a break will ya
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2002, 09:35
Nap
Rising Star

Teams: Earthquakes, CyberRays, USA men/women
Quote:
Originally posted by falcao
Bonita, I'm both, just like you: a writer AND a New Yorker.

Well, all I can do is agree with you that the U.S. women's game is in decline. Most of the top players (Foudy, Hamm, Chastain) are in their late 20s or early 30s. Chastain is 32. (edit) There's a great picture along with the words, showing the somber women's team lined up to collect silver medals.
I would have to differ on that. The issue isn't their game being in decline, but rather has everyone else caught up to them?

While yes, the core of the players are getting older, the US women needs to find younger talent to take the place of the old guard. If they don't expect the rest of the world to catch up to them and for superpower teams like China and Norway to surpass the USA. While right now it's merely the US, Norway, China, Brazil, and Germany, more nations, especially from the European sector, could catch up to the elite teams.

Of course, the sex appeal factor is going to play in, especially in trying to cater to the 18-55 crowd. The kids already think of them as heroines--it's trying to convince the mainstream.

And the men's and women's game are two different planes, but if the men and the ladies want to play, I'd say why not? Everyone should have an opportunity.

Nap

San Jose--the footy capital of the US!
fan of the global game...
My Picks: Aimercat's Page and The Quakes Fan Page
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2002, 23:36
Star Player

To be honest, women soccer is very refreshing and exciting.

Refreshing because it has this almost "amateurish" aproach to it. I am not saying this in a bad way. What I mean is that the women resort to fewer gamesmanship than the men. They always attack or try to win. Hardly ever you see them holding out for a tie. You will never see women's team defend a 1 goal lead, they always try to score more goals. It is truly refreshing.

Because of this effort to create opportunities and win the games. It makes it very exciting IMO.

Obviously there differences with the men game but women IMO have their own attraction and it's good see it progresing.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2002, 00:54
Nap
Rising Star

As the league progresses the quality of play will improve. I prefer the men's game, but the women's style of play is the strategy in its purest form.

The best word of advice is to take the kids to both the men's and women's games.

Instant offence makes the game go round.

Nap

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2002, 02:55 Thread Starter
XT Consultants
International

My! How this thread has evolved.

As discussed elsewhere in this forum, the physical differences between the genders determine also our games. I play regularly in a co-ed team in lower Manhattan and can safely point out the folowing observation from my own experience.

While men prefer space [hence long passes, etc.], women actually play their best in opposite situations. In *tight* areas, we can play up our footwork and tactics. I prefer indoor soccer for this reason, although indoor games Are much tougher and really doesn't classified as *that gentle game on grass.*

Anyway, thanks for your contribution! I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has brought out the enthrusiasts in mfa and Gabemar

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - Almogàver
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2002, 23:00
Premier Player

Ive been reading this Forum ocasionally, and I posted once.
In my country womens soccer gets little attention by the media, so I dont know much about whats going on.
I use this forum for information, thats how I found out about the Algarve tournament
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2002, 23:31
Nap
Rising Star

The Algarve Cup has always been a prestigious tourney. I would suspect the fans would know about this, but in a place where the men's game is obviously getting media attention we have to look thick and thin as to where to find info.

I've always considered standard (outdoor) and indoor soccer to be distinct contrasts of each other. Indoor soccer is pinball with the boards. Futsal is a smaller scale of the standard game. Strategy is way different on how the game is played indoors.

It was an anomoly to see the women when they had their indoor tour. Entertaining, yes! Soccer, no.

Still, if the women did another indoor tour, I would attend, although the WUSA games are much better to sell to everyone.

Nap

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2002, 17:16
Premier Player

Trust me : Womens soccer gets NO attention in Portugal.
I remember once the Womens NT had an important qualification game for the world or european cup (not sure anymore) and a daily sports papper gives it 10 lines , but they did a full page about a 2nd division of the Destritais ( I dont know any division lower than that) Team.
Not a big incentive to the female players is it?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2002, 09:55
Nap
Rising Star

Their only incentive would be to either qualify for the Women's World Cup or to play in the WUSA, but again the attention is pale in comparison to the men.

It's a good thing that word of mouth keeps the game going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in