Match Report

Match report (CP)

Match Report (AP)

Match Report

Match Report (CSA)

Our Xtratime poll voters correctly predicted the winner:
Canada 3
China 2

Last edited by Jeff; October 4th, 2003 at 17:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
This was more like the Canadian team I had been expecting to show up at the World Cup. It was hard-hitting, physical soccer. Not pretty, but fast.

Hooper's goal was a beauty, but the real star of the match was goalkeeper Taryn Swiatek. She came into the tournament with six international caps at the senior level, and has played the last three of Canada's matches at the WWC - two of them clean sheets.

Her performance against China was flawless. Always perfectly positioned, very quick to react, absolutely fearless, and cool as ice, Swiatek has to be a leading candidate for the World Cup all-star team.

Canada had far less possession time than China, but that's just because of the difference in playing styles - China relies on stringing short passes together, while Canada plays more of an aerial attack. I thought Canada was full value for the win, although China could well have won the match had it not been for Swiatek.

This wouldn't be the World Cup, of course, without god-awful refereeing. And this match had plenty of that, thanks to the vivid imagination of American referee Kari Seitz. Neither China nor Canada thought much of her calls, as evidenced by the fact that each team had a player cautioned for dissent.

Now Canada is headed for a climactic confrontation with either USA or Germany (again!), depending on the outcome of the semifinals.

Last edited by Jeff; October 3rd, 2003 at 07:04.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2003, 15:52
Star Player
International

Teams: Romania
Good game from our girls.
I agree with you Jeff, this is the typical Canadian women's game that is quite effective and which we did not relly see in the first games of this WC.
Hooper played outstanding, a true leader, and a fighter! Lang and Swiatek were also excellent.
However, we were also lucky that the Chinese women cannot score. I think they are the best in women's soccer at movint the ball around and passing with great accuracy. However, their finnishing is disastrous!!! I don't know if it is a mental thing or the pressure, but the Chinese goalscoaring was horrible in this WC.
Germany and US look very good, and I am very glad we do not have to play them next, because I don't think we could win against them in the semis...
I'm glad we are playing Sweden. They are good, but we have a chance against them and if we win, we'll be in the finals!!! And hopefully by then, the Germans or the Americans would have picked up some additional injuries and who knowd we might have a chance for a draw, and with Swiatek's present form, we could win on penlaties...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2003, 18:35 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Heh, heh. Let's take one fantasy at a time.

Mine is a penalty shootout win against Sweden.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2003, 20:29
Star Player
International

Teams: Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Heh, heh. Let's take one fantasy at a time.
I know, I got a little carried away...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old October 3rd, 2003, 23:17
Rising Star

Teams: San Diego WFC, Toppserien & Team Norge
Even Pellerud

Thanks to Canada's great victory over China I at least still have one Norwegian that I can root for up at the Home Depot Center next weekend.

Interesting that two players who used to start on top for Canada, Burtini & Hooper, were both playing defense last night. I thought Silvana did a respectable job especially considering that she had to come in on such short notice because of the injury to Isabelle Morneau.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2003, 01:24
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC (goodison Pk. Heaven on Earth)
I knew canada was going to win this I just thought that I would see a better performance from them. They came out and played the first 15 minuets of this match brilliantly. Then shortly after that Canada decided to give up that style of pressure and attacking football and sit back on there 1-0 lead. I thought Canada could have played the full 90 of pressure nad attack against China, Canada has the women to do that nad china was the best team to do it against, as they werent going to score if you gave it to them on the 6 yard box. Could have boosted there confidence even Higher for the Sweden match.

I do know one thing if Canada plays Sweden the way they did China they will lose. They will have to come out hard and pressure them on attack as well in defence in order to get a good result.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2003, 06:53
Star Player

jeff and gloryhunter sound like the commentator from the match. i dont know what game you all watched but in the game i watched canada was absolutely dominated by the chinese. i forced myself to watch the match and at one point even wanted to turn off the sound because of the clueless commentator. i guess she never heard of the concept of impartiality? a commentator isnt supposed to be so ridiculously biased as she was. every call against canada was a 'horrible call' and she even said that the women could be proud because they all played great. they were all horrible, even kara lang did nothing. i guess you can say the defence was good but thats about it.

like paulmay says we played well in the first fifteen minutes and after that it was all china and i mean all china. we looked like a serie c2 side against a serie a side. when we got the ball we almost immediately lost it or just sent it upfield aimlessly. ive probably seen about a dozen games of the team which might less than you guys have, but this was the worst performance ive seen and it wasnt the real canada that showed up.

this is the type of game you win once or maybe twice out of ten times. if we play like this in the semis we can forget about winning.

i have to say again it was agonizing watching this game.

CAMPIONI D'ITALIA!! CAMPIONI D'ITALIA!!

Milan Associazione Calcio 1899
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2003, 12:40
Premier Player

Teams: Widzew, Poland
Dude, every call WAS terrible. I remember Hooper getting called for a header. And about domination. China passing the ball around for 80 minutes isn't domination. Their final balls were atrocious, they didn't even have that many chances. Their best was a cross the forwards missed a header on the far post and a couple fizzed wide. Canada had just as many good chances.

Woo.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2003, 16:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Funny, Luigi V., the person I was watching the telecast with kept saying, "Why is she being so negative?", because Helen Stoumbos was occasionally stepping out of her accustomed role as Designated-Cheerleader-in-charge-of-reminding-us-how-old-Kara-Lang-is to actually point out how bad Canada's handling of the Chinese was.

I agree with you that Canada's style of football sucks. It works against some teams, like Australia and Argentina - and even China in this case, but a really good team like USA or Germany will kick our ass. Even Pellerud's tactical sense is ridiculous, and the team is incapable of playing for possession.

And like I said, China would have won but for the heroics of our 'keeper.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2003, 18:33
Star Player

no every call was not a bad one dominik but that wasnt the point i was making. the commentator shouldnt be saying that every call was a bad one. its fine that she wouldnt be completely impartial but when calling a game you should make an effort. look at hockey for instance, when bob cole calls a canada game while hes obviously supporting canada, he calls the game in an impartial manner.

i agree that chinas final balls were atrocious but at least they got themselves into the position to look for final balls. we just lost it when we got it or gave it away. i know were capable of better than that. we might not be the top team in the world but were certainly better than we showed.

jeff i dont know if shes the same commentator from all the games ive seen but she probably is because im sure theyve all been on rogers sportsnet. i dont remember hearing her say that our handling of china was bad. but it wouldnt surprise me if she said that and then turned around and said that they could all be proud of their performance, she seemed clueless enough to do it.

i guess well see how we do against sweden tomorrow and a better performance is a must.

CAMPIONI D'ITALIA!! CAMPIONI D'ITALIA!!

Milan Associazione Calcio 1899
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old October 5th, 2003, 17:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

It is the same woman.

I don't agree that impartiality means you never criticize the referee. That ref deserved a lot of criticism for her calls against both sides, and the commentators were right to do so. They didn't say every call was a bad one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in