Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Match Reports: North Korea v. USA

Anybody see this match?

Please write us a report.

Match Report

Match Report

Last edited by Jeff; September 28th, 2003 at 23:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 20:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Hamm, Foudy, Parlow, and Chastain are all out of the starting lineup for this match.

I guess Heinrichs has decided to rest some of her players, since only a loss to North Korea by six goals or more could deny her team a spot in the QF's.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 21:45
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC (goodison Pk. Heaven on Earth)
The first half is over and the US are up 1-0 off a phantom penelty. Not that it hurt the Koreans, as the US scored on the corner but for some reason the ref called a penelty that if missed would have cost the US a good goal.

Korea is out playing the US and you can see they miss there starters, who I feel we might see Hamm and Bodoxx back in there if Korea still manage to have time of possesion.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 22:05
Star Player

Foudy in for Lilly and Pays dividens as the US goes 2-0 early in the second half. Womback has been replaced by Mcmillan.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 22:21
Star Player

McMillan is in for a few minuets and gets an assist in Reddicks 2nd goal. Sweden is advancing now. US 3 NK 0 in the 71st minuet. and more bad news for N korea Hamm is warming up on the side line.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 23:11 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

The match was interesting, but very one-sided. The outcome was never in doubt.

I only wish they could have dispensed with the cult of personality.

No, I'm not referring to President-for-life Kim Jong Il of North Korea. I'm talking about Mia Hamm.

ABC television, the official host broadcaster, took the opportunity at every stoppage of play to zoom in with the Mia-cam on Hamm, sitting on the team bench, to show her reactions to the play on the field. They even gave us lingering close-ups of her fiancé in the crowd (some pro baseball player).

The ABC announcers breathlessly reassured the anxious home fans at least three times in the first two minutes of the second half that their supreme goddess Mia Hamm was expected to come on as a sub sometime during the match.

Due, I'm sure, to some horrible mixup on the part of April Heinrichs, Hamm never made it into the game.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 23:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

:continue rant:

Then those airhead commentators in the studio after the match actually said that Canada's qualifying for the quarter-finals in Group C was a surprise!

What were they expecting? Japan?

The fact is, it would have been a major upset if Canada didn't qualify from Group C. Everyone had been predicting for weeks that Canada would finish second in Group C - apparently ABC didn't get the memo.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2003, 23:29 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

s:

Oh, yeah. And they can send those crummy Brazilian referees back home ASAP, thank you very much.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2003, 21:54
Star Player

Actually our lady Queen has been great for the sport and she has been a role model for Womens Football. As from the signs around the ground many have come just to see her play. And yes there are 10 other players out there who have given the US thier rank. But when you talk about the US natl team Mias name will always be linked with it so the media will play that up whenever they can.
Now you and I both know that Football takes a back seat to every other sport in the US and Canada. So any attention that it gets so the game comes off the footnotes on the bottom of the News page to full back page headlines cant hurt.

Yes the commentators are idiots, They were the same idiots in the last mens WC as well, But I gave up on complaining about the Idiot Commentators, and take Solis in one thing. I now get to watch the game Live and Commercial free on TV. And since most TVs have an anti Idiot button with them, I use it Often. (its called the Mute Button) I no longer find the need to point out how stupid and ignorant the sportscaster can be.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2003, 06:30 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULMAY
Actually our lady Queen has been great for the sport and she has been a role model for Womens Football. As from the signs around the ground many have come just to see her play. And yes there are 10 other players out there who have given the US thier rank. But when you talk about the US natl team Mias name will always be linked with it so the media will play that up whenever they can.
Now you and I both know that Football takes a back seat to every other sport in the US and Canada. So any attention that it gets so the game comes off the footnotes on the bottom of the News page to full back page headlines cant hurt.
I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's bizarre for the media (abetted by WUSA and the US Soccer Federation) to try to make it all about Mia.

Why this constant compulsion to manufacture heroes, to turn team sports into vehicles for individual stars? Why does product marketing have to dictate how sports are presented and reported on TV?

The latest example is the article in the FIFA WWC website (written by Americans, of course), where they give us the jaw-dropping news that the USA actually managed to defeat North Korea even without Mia Hamm in the lineup! Gosh, who'd-a-thunk-it?

I just think it's insulting to the other members of the team. Mia's great, but she doesn't carry the team on her back. She's not even the best player.

And what happens to the team when Mia retires? Will thousands of little girls stop cheering for them because there's no Mia Hamm to scream for?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old September 30th, 2003, 20:40
Star Player

It is true that they tend to make a heroe out of one player in a team sport, but that is the way it has been done in the US. Before Basketball was that popular the Irvings, Birds, Majics and last Jordans made Basketball the game it has become.
Hockey which was languishing in obscurity till the Hulls, Gretsky and so on. Turned Hokey into a household sport.
Unfortunately that is the way sports are built in this country around one special player. When one retires there is another to hold the tourch. The American Soccer fed is no different. They have seen the success of other sports marketing under one player they have decided the same route to take. Unfortunately in the MLS they havent found that one player. They had hoped it would be Donovan but that hasnt come about. With the WUSA they had Mia. And for the few years they road her name yet she alone couldnt keep the league afloat, Sadly.
Wether we like that or not the American culture is based on the lone hero.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in