Temporarily end of WUSA?? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 10:48 Thread Starter
Player
Rising Star

Teams: Vitesse
temporarely end of WUSA??

hey Bonita, good to see ya back

i just read on a dutch site that they've decided to at least temporarely stop the WUSA league, mainly due to a lagg of sponsors??

anymore news on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 13:48
Rising Star

Teams: San Diego WFC, Toppserien & Team Norge
Re: temporarely end of WUSA??

Quote:
Originally posted by dutchy
hey Bonita, good to see ya back

i just read on a dutch site that they've decided to at least temporarely stop the WUSA league, mainly due to a lagg of sponsors??

anymore news on that?
The WUSA, the top women's soccer league in the world did in fact shut down yesterday. I think it would take a small miracle for the league to be in operation at all next year, but there still is the hope that new sponsors and investors will be found and that there could be another professional women's soccer league in place again by 2005.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 13:51 Thread Starter
Player
Rising Star

just when you think women's soccer is on its way upwards...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 13:58
Rising Star

WUSA's end not a shock for Spirit

Here's the link to an article I just read in the San Diego Union-Tribune:

WUSA's end not a shock for Spirit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 14:24
Rising Star

Women's soccer league suspends operations

Here's the link to another article I just read at the Fox Sports World site:

Women's soccer league suspends operations
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2003, 14:44
Rising Star

Two More Articles

Here are the links to two more article in the Boston Globe and the New York Times (you need to do a brief registration to read the Times article):

Problems were sizable

Great Sport Defeated by Bad Bottom Line
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2003, 00:51
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Good to *see* you too, dutchy and nordby1

September 15th is the saddest day in the history of US women's soccer. I only hope that nordby1 is right by predicting that a professional league will make a come back in (or before) 2005.

As mentioned in the New York Times, one dim hope of reviving WUSA would be for more financially endowed leagues to take it under their wings; namely, the Major League Soccer.

In just three brief seasons, WUSA has provided domestic and international talents the opportunity and pride to take part in a game that used to be ridiculed and jeered. It is just not fair for it to suffer such an untimely death.

Thank you, WUSA I hope you Will return with all your glories!

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - AlmogÓver
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old September 17th, 2003, 01:03
Rising Star

Links to Two More Articles

Thanks for the nice comments Bonita. Here's are the links to two more articles I just read:

Garciaparra angered over WUSA demise

Epitaph For a Dream
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2003, 16:59
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
That's really sad for Woman soccer, it was so popular in the US and it's league was the only professional in the world. What can we expect now? a new started women league after the wc or that the American players all goes to play in Europe?

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2003, 23:16
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
Americans will not go to play in Europe. There's no money in it, and the game doesn't draw any bigger crowds there than it does in the USA.

No, I think we are in for a few more years of semi-pro W-League play before someone tries to restart a women's pro league.

The whole WUSA experience confirms what I have always said, that if you can't get your sport shown on mainstream TV, it will not succeed. That goes for men as well as women.

TV is the gold standard by which sports are measured. More people watch sports on TV than go to actual games. If it's not on TV it's not considered important. If it's on digital cable or tape delay or relegated to off-hours in the schedule, it will be regarded as of marginal interest by the vast majority, and advertisers will not be interested either.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2003, 10:34
Premier Player

Teams: Real Madrid Y La Liga
the comments on chinese media think its a good time to take to host the biggest woman football league in the world.

china has woman league but it doesnt market well which rely on the sponsers and tv relay.i dont think the team players have big earning.

the ambition doesnt mean bright future.

When the matador plunges his sword into the bull at the end of a bullfight and the bull dies immediately.

Instead of the glory --- we all know what happened.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2003, 15:27
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
So good to *see* you here, Laoer!

Perhaps you can tell us more about China's professional women's leagues? It is a very sad, but real, fact that Big Names draw (both attendance and Tv sponsors) thus ensuring the longevitiy of pro soccer. Look at Real Madrid, they made a fortune in the summer tour of China/Tokyo/Hong Kong/Thailand, along with an entourage of merchants ranging from investors to the media to peddlers selling Beck and Ronnie lollipops outside the stadium!

Makes one weeps. 2008, WUSA?

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - AlmogÓver
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2003, 10:07
Xtratime Allstar
World Class Player

Teams: Gli Azzurri and AC Milan.
The Swedish women league is pretty good, but i don't have the money. The Italian wanted to sign the best players in Sweden and they would get better wages there but they refused cause the Swedish is still musch stronger. Personally i wouldn't be surprised if Germany, Italy or England will son start a professional women league in Europe, they have the money it seems and their Nt's are getting better and better, i too think the interest is getting bigger and bigger. And now when the WUSA is finnished i'm sure the players prefer playing in Europe then in American amateur teams withour audience, top games or money?

"I think my greatest ambition in life is to pass on to others what I know"

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine"

"The best revenge is massive success"

Frank Sinatra

"There are as many opinions as there are experts"

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:44 Thread Starter
Player
Rising Star

England's Fulham actually had a professional women's team, but also that team went from fully-pro to semi-pro about a year(?) back.
The German women do get paid, but i'm not sure if it's fully-pro...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2003, 00:24
Forum Manager
Star Player

New hope for women's soccer
WUSA officials working on new ideas to revive professional league
By BARRY WILNER - Associated Press
Dec. 11, 2003

The WUSA could return in a smaller version next year and as a full league in 2005.

The women's soccer league, which folded in September, might come back in 2004 with a handful of festivals featuring the top players, according to WUSA commissioner Tony DiCicco. That would be followed by the revival of the league the following year, provided there is enough sponsorship backing.

A meeting to discuss a potential business plan will be held today, he said.

"We're looking at all our options, pounding the sponsorship pavement," DiCicco said Wednesday. "We're pretty optimistic, but time will tell.

"Looking at options for '04, we're really looking to do less, but keep the brand name alive and out there in the public. We can put collected revenues toward an '05 full season that would be back to an '03 level."

League organizers say domestic and international sponsors have approached them about reviving the WUSA, which had eight teams for its three seasons. As much as $40 million in sponsorship funding might be needed to bring back the WUSA.

So current plans call for seeking sponsor money to launch a full-fledged league in 2005. Meanwhile, perhaps three or four festivals would be staged next spring and summer, and they could be used in preparation for the Athens Olympics.

A revival of the full WUSA next year probably doesn't make sense because so many national teams will be training for the Olympics.

"We're talking to a lot of communities about these festivals," said DiCicco, who coached the United States to the World Cup title in 1999. "We're talking to both cities that had WUSA teams and to other communities."

This year's Women's World Cup was moved to the United States from China because of SARS. Some of the profits from that tournament could be committed by FIFA, soccer's world governing body, or by U.S. Soccer, to the WUSA. That is another avenue WUSA officials hope could help in the league's revival.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old February 8th, 2004, 00:23
Forum Manager
Star Player

WUSA to stage four-team tournaments in June, wants top players

Source: Canadian Press
February 04, 2004

As many as three soccer tournaments will be organized in June by the WUSA, which folded last year but hopes to relaunch in 2005.

U.S. national team stars Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain and Abby Wambach will play in the four-team June tournaments. "We're pleased to have all of the U.S. national team players competing in the WUSA Soccer Festivals," said Tony DiCicco, who served as WUSA commissioner and is co-chairman of the committee to relaunch the league.

No sites have been determined, although the eight WUSA cities expressed interest: Atlanta; Boston; Cary, N.C.; Hempstead, N.Y.; Philadelphia; San Diego; San Jose, Calif.; and Washington.

Also interested in hosting the events are Rochester, N.Y.; Minneapolis/St. Paul; Carson, Calif.; Chicago; Denver; Columbus, Ohio; Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Cincinnati; Cleveland; and Hampton Roads, Va.
Venues will be announced by the end of February.

"The response has been fantastic," said Joe Cummings, DiCicco's committee co-chairman. "The feedback we've received from these markets is one of many reasons why we're excited about the future of the WUSA."

DiCicco said top international players will play in the June games, while several college seniors could participate.

Canadians in WUSA included Ottawa's Charmaine Hooper and Vancouver's Sharolta Nonen (Atlanta), Calgary's Christine Latham (San Diego), Karina Leblanc of Maple Ridge, B.C. (Boston) and Edmonton's Breanna Boyd (Carolina).

LeBlanc, Boyd, Hooper and Nonen all played for the world team in the 2003 WUSA all-star game.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in