South Korea 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:19 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
WWC - Group "B" Poll

Two teams will advance to the Quarterfinals from Group B.

You get two votes.

Last edited by Jeff; September 19th, 2003 at 05:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:22
lili pot de colle

dooh!
that is our group?!
we have no chance, have we?:depress:
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:24
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
I hope and believe that Norway will make it through, and I believe Brazil is our biggest competitor, it is a tough group though, France has a good team, and South Korea might make an upset.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:27
lili pot de colle

i have seen norway play, it's a good squad, don't remember if we beat them last match, i think so, but no sure.
as for brazil, i do not want imagine
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:30
Legend

Brazil is a huge football nation for men, although the National team is beatable by most top 20 teams in the World, they often seem to end as the winner, and the club teams of course are great, but not as good as the best in Europe. they are great at football though, no doubt about it. Do not confuse them with the women though Lili. The Brazilian football women are a rising force, but no where near the world power the mens national team is. Norway, although having a much smaller population, is much more recognised as a Women's football team, defending Olympic champions and all.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:38
lili pot de colle

well, i have seen brazil play against USA once, they go a good striker, i don't remember her name, a black one with long hair.

do you remember what was the last match between france and norway? i remember we beat a nordic team, but i don't remember if it was norway.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:49
Legend

20. march 2003 Norway - France 1-0 Algarve Algarve Cup
9. may 2002 Norway - France 3-1 Halden WC-qual
13. october 2001 France- Norway 0-3 Cannes WC-qual
25. june 2001 Norway- France 3-0 Ulm, Germany European Championships
17. february 2001 France- Norway 0-0 Bonneuil Sur Marne (Fra) Privat

These are the last five times we met, four wins for Norway, and one draw. Goal difference: Norway 10-1 France

Last edited by Orange; July 17th, 2003 at 21:52.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2003, 21:52
lili pot de colle

hmm...
we gonna have a hard time then
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2003, 07:44
Rising Star

Teams: Manchester United & Norway
Dagny's Hattricks

Quote:
Originally posted by Orange

9. may 2002 Norway - France 3-1 Halden WC-qual
As I recall, Dagny Mellgren had a hattrick in this match and Pichon scored the only goal for France. Dagny's club team the Boston Breakers just played Pichon's club team the Philadelphia Charge last Sunday and Dagny had another hattrick in Boston's 3-1 victory.

France is very good, but I think that Norway and Brazil will advance out of Group B.

"I have a feeling sometimes when I think it is going to be my night." Ole Gunnar SolskjŠr, May 26, 1999 in Barcelona after scoring the winning goal in the UEFA Champions League Final.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2003, 08:12
Premier Player

Teams: Widzew, Poland
Quote:
Originally posted by lili pot de colle
well, i have seen brazil play against USA once, they go a good striker, i don't remember her name, a black one with long hair.

do you remember what was the last match between france and norway? i remember we beat a nordic team, but i don't remember if it was norway.
Brazil's star strike ris out for 7 months, dunno if it's the one you're talking about thoguh!

Woo.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2003, 20:24
lili pot de colle

i think her name is sissi, she is black with long hair.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2003, 20:58
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by lili pot de colle
i think her name is sissi, she is black with long hair.
No, Sissi either shaves her head or cuts it extremely short and her skin color is not very dark. Katia is the Brazilian striker who is very black with long hair. Katia was the top goalscorer in the WUSA last season and she just won the ESPY award on ESPN a few days ago for being the top women's soccer player in the world.

"I have a feeling sometimes when I think it is going to be my night." Ole Gunnar SolskjŠr, May 26, 1999 in Barcelona after scoring the winning goal in the UEFA Champions League Final.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2003, 21:01
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Domino
Brazil's star strike ris out for 7 months, dunno if it's the one you're talking about thoguh!
Pretinha who is Katia's teammate on the Brazilian team and on the San Jose CyberRays WUSA club tore her ACL last Sunday in a friendly match against the U.S. and will likely be out for around 5-7 months.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2003, 14:02
Rising Star

I believe Norway will win this group. Brazil may have a (very) slight edge over France, but voted for the latter.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2003, 18:06
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Norway should be on top BUT you will see South Korea try to unsettle the Nords' glory

Riise in as Norway announce team

source: fifaworldcup.com

Norway coach ┼ge Steen named a cocktail of young and old players Monday when he announced his squad for the FIFA Womenĺs World Cup USA 2003.

Steen named 10 players with Olympic and FIFA Womenĺs World Cup experience to his team, and also selected 10 relatively untried players. Leading the pack is the U.S.-based WUSA quartet of Unni Lehn, Dagny Mellgren, Anita Rapp and Hege Riise. Also returning to the national fold is goalkeeper Bente Nordby, who retired briefly in 2002.

ôI think we will be very strong up front,ö Steen said. ôWe have Dagny who has a lot of goals for the national team and Marianne Pettersen is back. In them we have two very strong strikers.ö

Mellgren, who plays for the Boston Breakers in the WUSA, has amassed an impreccive 37 goals in 70 internationals. She struck net 14 times to lead Boston in scoring this year. Even though she broke into football as a flank midfielder, she said she always thought of herself as a striker.

ôI think I was always a goal scorer but now I am in a position where I get to score more,ö Mellgren said. ôWe have some great players on this team.ö

complete story
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/03/en/030908/1/6bu.html

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - AlmogÓver
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2003, 19:16
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Brazil and Norway.

Didja know that Ronaldo's wife, Milene, is on Brazil's NT?

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2003, 21:32
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
XT Consultants
International

Teams: FC Barcelona
Hello Garrincha

Yes, Milene IS currently training with the NT but according to today's NY Times, Coach Paulo Gonšalves has not yet picked his 20 players for the tournament.

One item - perhaps of interest to those who notice such details - Milene holds the record for juggling a soccer ball: 55,187 touches in 9 hours 6 minutes ...

.. while the rest of us are not very happy about the possibility of NOT seeing Sissi in WWC2003

For me, football is irrationality, tribal, passionate... - AlmogÓver
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2003, 20:58
Rising Star

Teams: San Diego WFC, Toppserien & Team Norge
Norway vs. Brazil

Quote:
Originally posted by Orange
Brazil is a huge football nation for men, although the National team is beatable by most top 20 teams in the World, they often seem to end as the winner, and the club teams of course are great, but not as good as the best in Europe. they are great at football though, no doubt about it. Do not confuse them with the women though Lili. The Brazilian football women are a rising force, but no where near the world power the mens national team is. Norway, although having a much smaller population, is much more recognised as a Women's football team, defending Olympic champions and all.
Does anyone know what Norway's all-time record has been against Brazil in women's soccer? I know that the Norwegian men have never lost to Brazil , but the last time I recall the Norwegian women playing against Brazil, they lost the third place match of WC '99 on PKs after Bente Nordby kept the Brazilians from scoring a oal during regulation and two overtime periods.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2003, 22:57
Rising Star

Teams: San Diego WFC, Toppserien & Team Norge
Milene Made Brazil's WC Roster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonita
Hello Garrincha

Yes, Milene IS currently training with the NT but according to today's NY Times, Coach Paulo Gonšalves has not yet picked his 20 players for the tournament.

One item - perhaps of interest to those who notice such details - Milene holds the record for juggling a soccer ball: 55,187 touches in 9 hours 6 minutes ...

.. while the rest of us are not very happy about the possibility of NOT seeing Sissi in WWC2003
Milene ended up being named to Brazil's WC roster and will wear #20.

Complete USA 2003 squad lists announced

Interesting to note too that Brazil has the team with the youngest average age at 22 years 2 months and the U.S. is the oldest with an average age of 28. I didn't take the time to do any calculations for the average age of the Norwegian squad, but in contrast to the U.S., Norway only has four players on their roster older than 28 years old and half of their roster is 25 years old or younger.
l
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2003, 03:21 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
Re: Norway vs. Brazil

Quote:
Originally posted by nordby1
Does anyone know what Norway's all-time record has been against Brazil in women's soccer?
Code:
06/03/88  Brazil  2  Norway  1  Unoff Wrld Cup  China 
06/10/88  Norway  2  Brazil  1  Unoff Wrld Cup  China
07/21/96  Norway  2  Brazil  2  Olympic Games    USA
08/01/96  Norway  2  Brazil  0  Olympic Games    USA
07/10/99  Brazil* 0  Norway  0  World Cup        USA
*Brazil won on PK's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in