African Cup of Nations 2013, South Africa 19 Jan-10 Feb

Group A: South Africa, Cape Verde, Morocco, Angola
Group B: Ghana, DR Congo, Niger, Mali
Group C: Zambia, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Burkina Faso
Group D: Ivory Coast, Togo, Tunisia, Algeria

First game:

South Africa - Cape Verde

First game: January 19

No real group of deaths. Group A I think will be the most entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2012, 04:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
groups are pretty balanced, Group D is probably the most tight but CIV should have no problems. Ghana will be happy with their group but Congo DR has an interesting squad on paper. South Africa got a tricky group but who knows which Morocco will show up Interesting to see how Zambia do, they almost didn't even qualify for this, but they got a decent enough group as well.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2012, 16:00
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Group A: South Africa, Cape Verde, Morocco, Angola
tough luck

but whatever, maybe the euphoria of being there first time helps, at least this is the first time that I care about that Afrika Kupa.

Força Tubarőes Azuis

hopefully my man Stopira will be in the squad

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2012, 15:45
YBC
Legend

No Guinea!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2012, 15:49
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
tough luck

but whatever, maybe the euphoria of being there first time helps, at least this is the first time that I care about that Afrika Kupa.

Força Tubarőes Azuis

hopefully my man Stopira will be in the squad

Best of luck to the Cabo's. I know they'll have full support here in Rotterdam.

Also hoping Zambia and Morocco do well.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2012, 19:04
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krle View Post

Best of luck to the Cabo's. I know they'll have full support here in Rotterdam.

Also hoping Zambia and Morocco do well.
Rotterdam

are there many Zambians too?

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2012, 19:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Nah lol
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old November 24th, 2012, 19:29
YBC
Legend

Zambia should be good at footie
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2012, 03:49
Xtratime Elite

Cabo Verde >>>>>>>>>> Zambia :hopeful:

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2012, 15:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

the AFCON winners will be placed in Group B of the Confederations Cup draw with Spain, Uruguay & surprise qualifiers Tahiti
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2012, 21:20
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Adebayor has quit the Togo national team for now as he is unhappy with the team not being paid bonus money from the Togo FA
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 15:35
YBC
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
Cabo Verde >>>>>>>>>> Zambia :hopeful:
I love both

Anyway, predictions people?

I think the CIV squad will, as is a trend, reach the final but I also think Angola may have something in store.

Probable:

Group A:

South Africa
Angola

Group B:

Ghana
Mali

Group C:

Zambia
Nigeria

Group D:

Cote D'Ivoire
Togo

Quarters:

Zambia, Ivory Coast, Mali and South Africa will win

Zambia - Mali

South Africa - Ivory Coast

Final:

Ivory Coast - Mali

Latest news around the grounds:

Africa Cup of Nations 2013: Togo confirm Adebayor squad inclusion

The president of Togo's football federation says he intervened to include Emmanuel Adebayor in the country's Africa Cup of Nations squad.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 15:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

A: Morocco, South Africa
B: Ghana, Mali
C: Nigeria, Zambia
D: Ivory Coast, Tunisia

QF
Morocco def. Mali
Ivory Coast def. Zambia
Nigeria def. Tunisia
Ghana def. South Africa

SF
Ivory Coast def. Morocco
Nigeria def. Ghana

F
Ivory Coast def. Nigeria

I am going with Nigeria making a good run, I don't think Zambia can match the run they had last year. Not sure what to think about Ghana, they have done well in the prep matches scoring a lot of goals but I'm not as high on them as I was in the past 2-3 years.

You never know with this tournament, there is usually one major surprise team and one team who is an absolute bust. I was very uncertain with picking Mali or Congo DR in Group B and either Tunisia/Algeria in Group D. If Morocco play to their potential they should win Group A but they are such underachievers in recent years
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 15:57
YBC
Legend

What happened to Egypt? They won it 09 10 and 11 then just didn't even qualify
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 19:53
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
New stars waiting to shine in Africa
in fifa.com

The 2013 CAF Africa Cup of Nations comes just one year after the last finals because of a switch in the future dates and it means there is a familiar look about many of the players chosen to compete in the tournament in South Africa. But, as is always the case, there will be some new stars to look out for, and this edition promises to unveil potential new heroes for fanatical African fans to enthuse over. FIFA.com profiles the new young stars to look out for at the CAN.

Christian Atsu (Ghana)
Ghana have produced more than their fair share of teenage prodigies in recent times and the 20-year-old from Porto is the latest off their fabled production line. The winger is already a sensation in Portugal where comparisons are being made with Lionel Messi, perhaps a little prematurely, but flattering nevertheless. He enjoys the left side of the attack and could be the man to watch out for replacing Andre Ayew and possibly cementing a starting line-up berth for the Black Stars. Originally from Kasoa in southern Ghana, he was picked up early by Porto, who have nurtured him through their youth ranks and on loan to Rio Ave last season.

Faouzi Ghoulam (Algeria)
The 21-year-old defender has had stellar league campaign with St Etienne this season and is the latest French-born player to be persuaded to Algeria’s cause – after playing at youth level for France. He was selected to the Algeria squad for the tournament without winning a cap and will go into the finals with little international experience but plenty of exposure to some of the top strikers in France. He will also be closely watched as the transfer speculation around the left back has been quiet vociferous. Both his parents come from Algeria and sporting genes run deep in the family because his elder brother Nabil ran for France at the World Cross Country Championships.

Abdelhamid El Kaoutari (Morocco)
It is hard to expect 2013 will be better than last year for the 22-year-old defender, who won Ligue 1 with home town club Montpellier and went to the Olympic Games in London with Morocco’s under-23 side. El Kaoutari is a product of the French provincial club, who won a first-ever French championship last season, and came through their famous youth system to forge a place in the starting line-up while still a teenager. He played at the UEFA U-19 Championships in 2009 for France but then switched his allegiance to the country of his parent’s birth and won his first cap 18 months ago.

Ryan Mendes (Cape Verde Islands)
After several seasons impressing with his pace and ability to run at opposing defenders in Ligue 2, Mendes moved in July to Lille and a chance to play in the top flight of French football. It has been a heady time for the winger from the tiny island of Fogo, whose path to club football in Europe came after being spotted in a youth tournament. He was just 18 when he played in the event at Le Havre and found himself being chased by scouts and agents. He signed for Le Havre but not before having a talk with a representative of Portugal’s Benfica, who are the best supported side in the Cape Verde. Three seasons at Le Havre made his reputation before Lille coach Rudi Garcia snapped him up. Mendes was the top scorer for the Blue Sharks in AFCON qualifiers.

Abdelkader Oueslati (Tunisia)
The 21-year-old winger won his first cap in the decisive qualifying game for the 2013 Nations Cup finals, impressing enough to earn a place in the squad for the tournament in South Africa. Born in France, he has come through the ranks at Atletico Madrid where he played first with the B team before being promoted to the first squad this season where he made his debut in August against Levante, before suffering a fracture that sidelined him for two months. In Spain, he is known simply as ‘Kader’ and is being tipped as a name for the future.

Thulani Serero (South Africa)
The diminutive 22-year-old midfielder is just back from a groin injury that has stymied his season so far. He moved to Ajax Amsterdam in mid-2011 after being voted the best player in the South African Premier Soccer League. But his first season in the Dutch league saw him get limited playing time as he struggled with adaptation, form and injury. The new campaign began brightly however as he got among the goals early only to suffer another setback. Coach Gordon Igesund is taking a gamble on his fitness but insists Serero is a viable and valuable option, even if operating at “60 per-cent of his potential”. He has eight caps, but only one in a competitive international.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 19:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

It's funny to read the bit about Atsu being "nurtured by Porto since early age". The guy arrived at the age of 19 to Porto and they are making it look like he was there since he was a child.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 20:05
YBC
Legend

Emmanuel Mbola and Stoppila Sunzu too?
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 20:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBlueCoke View Post
Emmanuel Mbola and Stoppila Sunzu too?
Mbola is there since last season which means he arrived at the age of 18. I've never heard about the other one.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2013, 20:22
YBC
Legend

Read my post in the Premier League + National team etc thread about the Stopzilla Sunzu. The man wanted by Arsenal and Reading from Zambia

I mean Mbola is another talent to look out for I would presume, he is at Porto
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2013, 19:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/podcas...iew-ed-aarons/

Short interview previewing the African Cup of Nations with an African football correspondent working with the English media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in