ZAMBIA vs SUDAN

QF2 - Malabo (EQG) - 20:00 CET
IVORY COAST vs EQUATORIAL GUINEA

Sunday, 5 February 2012

QF3 - Libreville (GAB) - 17:00 CET
GABON vs MALI

QF4 - Franceville (GAB) - 20:00 CET
GHANA vs TUNISIA

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2012, 22:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Ghana and Ivory Coast are in different halves of the draw so they can only meet in the final or the third place match

Zambia/Sudan vs. Ghana/Tunisia
Ivory Coast/Equatorial Guinea vs. Gabon/Mali

Ivory Coast should make the final, no excuses for them, even if they can face Gabon in the SF in Gabon. Ghana have a trickier route to the finals, Tunisia can cause problems and Zambia are no pushovers (I expect Zambia to go through against Sudan)
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2012, 22:05 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Ivory Coast and Zambia are clear favourites for me in these QFs. Gabon and Ghana should also go through but Tunisia will be hard to beat.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zambia in the final against CIV.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 00:24
Star Player

A fine quarter final draw. The toughest one to call is the Ghana-Tunisia match-up. Both potential tournament winner's but it will be good news to the rest of the team's as only one progresses. Zambia may be favorites against Sudan but it will be a closer one imo. Ivory coast on paper have the easiest route to the semi's if not the final's. Gabon vs Mali will also be a tight affair but I'm predicting a Gabon win here as I see at least one of the host's making to the final four.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 00:47
0-1, Huth.
International

Zambia v Sudan

I've developed a soft spot for Sudan, due to the fact that they play some decent tidy stuff and all their players play locally in the domestic Sudanese league. They held their own against sides who have Euro based players. Admirable. That said, I think Zambia will be too strong for them. Zambia are more direct and have more fire power up front.

Equatorial Guinea v Ivory Coast

The end of the road for Equatorial Guinea really. Ivory Coast have sleep walked through the group stages without getting into second gear. Another 2-0 comfortable win for Ivory Coast.

Gabon v Mali

I know very little about Mali cos I've been busy whenever Mali have played - just sheer coincidence. Gabon are a solid side though. They have a decent midfield + that Neymar wannabe up front who's a pretty good player. I think Gabon will go through. The home crowd will give them an extra 20% incentive.

Ghana v Tunisia

Biggest tie of the round. Ghana are the favourites, but Tunisia are no pushovers. Tunisia outplayed Gabon but couldn't find the net. Ghana should go through here, but they can't sleep walk this game like they've done in the group stages. Tunisia are not a joke.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 14:58
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Ghana didn't impress me at all so far and I can see them getting beaten by Tunisia, but if they beat Tunisia I think they can reach the finals as I think they're stronger than Sudan or Zambia.

Sudan are the surprise of the tournament for me, didn't know them at all with only players from their domestic league, but they're not bad at all! Agree with Jibril in this case.

As for the host nations, Gabon could certainly beat Mali, their match versus Morocco was the best I've seen in the tournament in terms of sensation and attitude. After Sudan I'm really surprised with them although perhaps it's not that surprising with the crowd behind them.

About Equatorial Guinea, as host nation I like it for them to advance, but I recently discovered just two players are born in that country. The other players, a part of them probably of Eq. Guinean descent, are born in the following countries.
Spain - 10
Cameroon - 5
Equatorial Guinea - 2
Ivory Coast - 2
Brazil - 1
Colombia - 1
Liberia - 1
Nigeria - 1
That for me explains their performances, didn't realise that before... still they're to weak to beat Ivory Coast I think.

I'm looking forward to these matches!
Biggest favourite for me is Ivory Coast, followed by Tunisia, Ghana and Gabon.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 16:08
0-1, Huth.
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
About Equatorial Guinea, as host nation I like it for them to advance, but I recently discovered just two players are born in that country. The other players, a part of them probably of Eq. Guinean descent, are born in the following countries.
Spain - 10
Cameroon - 5
Equatorial Guinea - 2
Ivory Coast - 2
Brazil - 1
Colombia - 1
Liberia - 1
Nigeria - 1
That for me explains their performances, didn't realise that before... still they're to weak to beat Ivory Coast I think.

I'm looking forward to these matches!
Biggest favourite for me is Ivory Coast, followed by Tunisia, Ghana and Gabon.
Only two players? Didn't realise that. Equatorial Guinea have a population of about 700.000 people so I guess they have recruit mercenaries to become half decent.

And to be fair, Morocco also have dozens of players born in Europe.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2012, 16:15
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
According to my info the national football association has got only 2290 registered members, and just 22 official clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibril View Post
And to be fair, Morocco also have dozens of players born in Europe.
That's true, but I'm sure all of their players are of Moroccan descent, not sure about the Equatorial Guinean players, certainly some of them, but some others...
Just start with their goalkeeper Danilo for example, he's born in Brazil and only played for Brazilian teams. According to wiki, this is why he plays for Eq. Guinea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Danilo is naturalized Equatoguinean since 2006, when Antônio Dumas (Brazilian coach who naturalized Brazilian footballers for Togo and Equatorial Guinea) was the coach of the Equatorial Guinea national football team. Since that time, Danilo has been consolidated in the goal of his new home.
However, I can understand these players, the president pays the team a million dollar for every win on this tournament...
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:26
BANNED!
International

Tunisia, Sudan, Gabon, and Ivory Coast to go through here.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 16:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Zambia lead 1:0, total control from them
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 16:17 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Zambia opens the score against Sudan at 15' after a great header by the defender Sunzu following a freekick.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 16:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Zambia deservedly leading 1-0 at HT

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 17:01
Star Player

1-0 for Zambia at half time. I'm quite impressed with Zambia's passing and a fine header by Sunzu to give the Chipolopolo the lead. Sudan haven't played bad, they had at least a couple of chances late in the second half but missed their oppportunities. Should be an interesting second half...
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 17:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

2:0, Katongo missed the penalty but tapped in the rebound. Sudan are also down to 10 men as the defender who committed the penalty was already on a yellow. Zambia really on cruise control, although Sudan played slightly better in the second half
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 17:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Zambia makes the 2-0 by Katongo in the sequence of a penalty which was first saved by the keeper. A sudanese player was sent off with a second yellow so it looks like Zambia, as expected, will go through here.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 17:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

3-0 to Zambia. Game over.

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 17:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

ZAMBIA 3-0 Sudan - FT

Clear supremacy from the Zambians and I go on thinking that they do have chances to reach the final.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 18:05
Star Player

Zambia into the semi's. The Zambian's were slacking intially in the second half, but a fabulous run by Sinkala I think that earned a well deserved penalty. Katongo scores on the rebound and that pretty much deflated the Sudanese. Zambia's attack are very enterprising, showed fine passing sequeces and with pace to boot. Sudan's keeper, Akram did well though he deserved a red card for that cheeky kick to the Zambian forward when they both collided.

All in all, Sudan should hold their head's high, a fine tournament it was from them and hopefully thing's get better for the game in Sudan.

I will prolly be unable to follow the CIV- EQG game but I can't see the Ivorian's not cruising into the semi's, I guess we'll find out...
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 18:57
BANNED!
International

Zambia are a much better side than I personally thought they'd be in this competition. They've finally developed some good consistency in performances. Good to see from them, fantastic run in this cup and something to build on ahead of the World Cup qualifiers for sure.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2012, 19:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ivory Coast finally scores with Drogba taking very well advantage of a gift by the EQG defence.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in