Cabinda, 20:30 CET
Côte d'Ivoire 2-3 Algeria (AET)

Monday 25/1

Benguela, 17:00 CET
Egypt vs Cameroon

Lubango, 20:30 CET
Nigeria vs Zambia

---

Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Egypt and Zambia to go through, imho.

ما أخذ بالقوة لا يسترد إلا بالقوة
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

now thats three rants lol

i love u bro. yr good people

Juventus were relegated to Serie B along with their reputation.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46733

Last edited by Filipe Reis; January 25th, 2010 at 09:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:25
Xtratime Legend

If Côte d'Ivoire can't win this ACN then they never will...
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2010, 18:25
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
They're chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 00:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Al Ahly | F.C. Internazionale | AZ
Lions out for Egyptian 'revenge'

Cameroon midfielder Geremi says his team will seek revenge against champions Egypt in the quarter-finals of the Africa Cup of Nations.

The two meet in the last eight on Monday in a repeat of the 2008 final, when the Pharoahs came out on top to clam their second title in a row.

"I would say it is a big revenge [match], because we have a lot of things against them," Geremi said.

Monday's game is the first between the two since the final two years ago.

And the Newcastle man admits his team need to up their game before taking on a confident Egyptian side who have won all their games in Angola.

"I cannot say that so far we have shown that we're a great team," he told BBC Sport.

"But we still believe that we can do a lot of things in this tournament.

"In the second game [against Zambia] we were lucky, but I think we will learn from the mistakes and try to correct them in the next game."

Cameroon edged through after a tight 2-2 draw with Tunisia and a 3-2 win over Zambia, after losing their opening game 1-0 to Gabon.

Geremi was an unused substitute in Thursday's final group game, but will be hoping for a return to coach Paul Le Guen's plans on Monday.

Meanwhile, Egypt striker Mohamed Zidan says that Egypt are fully focused on overcoming Cameroon as they seek their third continental title in a row and seventh overall.

"Now there is no joke any more," he said.

"We are coming to the serious part of the tournament.

"We are all very focused. You win or you lose everything. We are very excited and we are looking forward to the next round."

Quote:
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:28
World Class Player

Teams: Torino
I like Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, and Egypt to advance for sure - Ghana could beat the hosts defintiely, but I think losing Essien could be a problem for them.. Nigeria and Zambia could be a tossup, obviously the Super Eagles are better on paper, but I think Zambia are a really motivated team and could spring a surprise.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE GRANATA!

NWO BABY
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
I feel that Angola and Ivory Coast are clear favourites for Sunday's QFs but all is open for Monday's matches. I am still not totally convinced about Egypt and I can see Cameroon beating them. Even more open is the last QF as Zambia can pull up a surprising semi-finals spot.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Cameroon are our bitches. And this current crop of players is meh, anyway. Not impressed by them at all, even in 2008 I wasn't impressed eventhough they reached the final.

2-0, Zidan and Met'eb.

P.S. Not that it matters much, Filipe, but why add 'ANC 2010' to the thread title when the thread is present in the umm.. ANC 2010 forum? Kinda weird.

Quote:

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri4life View Post
P.S. Not that it matters much, Filipe, but why add 'ANC 2010' to the thread title when the thread is present in the umm.. ANC 2010 forum? Kinda weird.
Actually this is not ANC 2010's forum, it's the African Football forum. In the future, a thread named Quarter-finals would be a bit lost in space.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 14:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

A decent article about ANC Goalkeeping from Jonathon Wilson

Quote:
Three-quarters of the way through Cameroon's second match in the group stages of the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, they seemed to be on their way out. Having lost their opener to Gabon, they trailed Zambia 1-0 and seemed devoid of ideas on how to break them down. Geremi slung in a typically uninspired cross from the right. Kennedy Mweene, the Zambia goalkeeper, started to come for it, checked, came again, got his feet in a terrible tangle, and finally sprawled on the ball, only for it to squirm under him and inside the post.

In a tournament of atrocious goalkeeping, that was probably the worst moment, yet Mweene is a keeper of pedigree, having been named goalkeeper of the year in the South African Premier League in 2009.

Of 53 goals scored in the group stage, 23 could be attributed to a greater or lesser extent to goalkeeper error. It is difficult to envisage much of an improvement between now and the summer, so goalkeeping ability, or lack of it, could be a massive handicap for the six African teams at the World Cup finals.

There have been some real howlers here in Angola. The host nation, for instance, seemed to be cruising to victory in the opening game when Carlos Fernandes dropped a cross and allowed Seydou Keita to begin Mali's fightback from four goals down. In the same group, Algeria's Faouzi Chaouchi was responsible for two of Malawi's goals in his side's 3-0 defeat, fumbling a cross and smacking a clearance straight into a forward.

It is not just that some of the goalkeeping has been bad; a lot of it has been unfathomably eccentric. Late in Mozambique's draw with Benin, for instance, Rafael came for an overhit through ball, gathered comfortably, and then attempted to flip over. Misjudging it badly, he landed on his neck, injuring himself and sending the ball squirting loose. He was lucky it did not cost a goal.

"You see a lot of mistakes," says the former Nigeria goalkeeper Idah Peterside. "You saw the game where the Mozambique goalkeeper tried to act funny. These things are long gone in football. We did that 20 years ago, but now the game is more technical."

This means that sides with a good goalkeeper have a huge advantage – and it may yet be significant that Ivory Coast's greatest weakness is their keeper, Boubacar Barry of KSC Lokeren. "I think [Essam] El-Hadary is the best in the tournament," says Ahmed Hassan, Egypt's captain, of his side's keeper, who has been instrumental in the Pharoahs' successes in the past two Cups of Nations. "He is strong and secure and that gives us lots of confidence."

El-Hadary has barely been tested so far in Angola, so survives with his *reputation intact, as does *Cameroon's Carlos Kameni of *Espanyol. He has had his wobbles, but Kameni appears to be the only African keeper going to the World Cup who looks up to the task.

A new book on African football, The Feet of the *Chameleon, sets out the theory why Cameroon has traditionally produced good goalkeepers. Claude Le Roy, who has as much experience of coaching in Africa as any European, tells of going into the Bassa region of central-*southern Africa and discovering a game that involved two boys facing each other across a courtyard. One would head a ball and try to hit the roof of his opponent's house; the other would jump to try to save it. But Le Roy tells the book's author, Ian Hawkey, that even in Cameroon, goalkeeping lags behind that of the rest of the world.

"Look at the conditions. The pitches are covered in stones and broken bottles, or they're hard as concrete. Nobody wants to dive around and train on this."

Cameroon aside, there is no great tradition on which young keepers can draw, a point made by Gabon's Didier Ovono, who has so far been the best goalkeeper in the Cup of Nations. "It's about the mentality," he says. "In Africa they don't give a lot of work to the goalkeeper. When you go abroad you must have the technique to play there. If you do not, you cannot.

"Overseas they start at eight years old to play goalkeeper. In Africa you must start outfield, and you go in goal later, when you are 12, 13. It's difficult because we don't have good goalkeeper coaches."

The 27-year-old was a midfielder who converted to play in goal aged 12, and showed enough promise for his government to pay for him to attend Thomas Nkono's academy in Barcelona. Nkono played in two World Cups for Cameroon (1982 and 1990) and was in the squad for USA 94. "I stayed one year to get technique," Ovono says. "Nkono told me everything I know in football. After, when I was 18, I started in El Salvador." He moved on to Georgia where he won a league title with Dinamo Tbilisi, and is now a regular for Le Mans in France's top division.

Peterside speaks similarly of going in goal in his teens because it was his best chance of getting into the side. Tellingly, his heroes were not African, but Gianluca Pagliuca of Italy and Sergio Goycochea of Argentina. "A lot of people want to score goals and have the glamour and the money," he says, before explaining his theory that African keepers cannot secure the moves to Europe they need to progress because so few African keepers have *succeeded before, so clubs are unwilling to take a chance.

"Everybody wants the new Michael Essien," says Tom Vernon, Manchester United's scout in Africa, who runs an academy in Ghana. "So other positions don't get a look-in."

That may be so, but on the evidence of the past fortnight, their suspicion appears justified. And so the cycle of underachievement keeps on turning.

The most common excuse for goalkeepers has been the ball, which is of global concern given it is the same Adidas Jabulani model that will be used at the World Cup. "It is a very fast ball and because of this, it is often very difficult to judge its flight," Nigeria's Vincent Enyeama says.

Ovono agrees. "All the goalkeepers are talking about it. It doesn't have just one trajectory, it moves a lot. When they shoot it strong, you cannot follow the ball. You saw that against Tunisia. The ball came like this [mimes ball moving straight] and at the last moment, it moves. So you have to wait for the last moment."

Watch out, then, for more howlers in South Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 16:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Angola 0-1 Ghana at HT

Very intensive first half of this first QF match. Ghana started with more composure and ended up scoring a nice goal by Asamoah Gyan at 16'. Since then it was all Angola who had 2-3 very good chances including a sitter by Manucho and a great save by Kingson.

Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 18:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Angola have been eliminated, sadly.

I only watched the 2nd half, they failed to create anything aside from a header in the 72nd minute which Manucho failed to head on target. Not enough pressure on the Ghanian goal.

Quote:

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 18:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Angola 0-1 Ghana FT

If this score would have been predicted before the start of this tournament perhaps there wouldn't be too many people surprised with it but after we'd seen so far in the tournament from both sides and even from what happened today on the pitch it's somehow surprising to see Angola leave the tournament so soon.

The hosts dominated most of the match but their inability to convert the few clear goal chances they've created (Manucho was particularly guilty of that today) and their lack of punch were the main reasons for their blank against a very well organised Ghanaian defense.

If the Black Stars come up with this type of performance again in the Semi Finals they may even go further than what was expected from them after so many of their first team players couldn't make it for this tournament.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 18:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Nice long pass by K. Asamoah, btw. An Udinese player assists an ex-Udinese player.

Quote:

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 21:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Ivory Coast 10 minutes away from elimination

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 22:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Told you they were chokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 23:01
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ivory Coast 2-3 Algeria (AET)
[Salomon Kalou 4’, Kader Keita 89’; Karim Matmour 40’, Madjid Bougherra 90'+2’, Hameur Bouazza 93’]

Shame I missed this one as it looks like it was a classic...

Foxes Dump Elephants Out Of Nations Cup
in MTN Football, 24.01.2010

Algeria played their best football at the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations in Angola on Sunday evening as they eliminated pre-tournament favourites Côte d'Ivoire in an action-packed quarterfinal in Cabinda.

Victory over the The Elephants sent ‘The Desert Foxes’ into the semifinal of the Nations Cup for the first time since 1990 and the fifth time in their history.

It took just four minutes for this thrilling encounter to come to life and it was Salomon Kalou who struck to give the Ivorians the lead, but five minutes before half time Algeria were level when Karim Matmour struck the equaliser.

The game's real drama happened in the final minutes of the second half, as on 89 minutes Kader Keita spectacularly shot the Ivorians in front again. Algeria drew level in stoppage time when Madjid Bougherra headed a second goal for the Desert Foxes.

Two minutes into extra time and Hameur Bouazza scored the fifth goal of the match, another headed goal as he was on the end of Karim Ziani’s cross from the left.

The Elephants were on the march early on when just four minutes in Yaya Toure attempted a cheeky back heel to get Kalou clear on the edge of the Algerian penalty area. Halliche blocked his initial effort, but the ball came back to Toure and he shot for goal.

Toure’s strike took a wicked deflection off Yazid Mansouri and the ball fell invitingly into the path of Kalou, who drove the ball goalwards and beat Chaouchi at his near post from 12 yards.

On the half-hour mark Belhadj went on another marauding run down the wing and sent in a dangerous looking ball towards goal. Boubacar Barry ran off his goal line and dived forward to smother the ball at the feet of Algerian strikers Saif Ghezzal and Karim Matmour.

Algeria kept up the pressure on the Ivorians and they were rewarded for their efforts as Mansouri sent in a looping ball from the halfway line which fell to Matmour. He moved got the ball past the lunging Tiote and quickly turned facing the goal, hitting the ball ferociously from 16 yards past Barry.

Algeria were creating the more clear-cut chances at the start of the second half, as was the case in the 55th minute when Mourad Meghni demonstrated his playmaking abilities as he threw up a long looping pass to Matmour from the halfway line. Matmour in turn made contact with the ball, but sent his volley from a few yards from goal over the crossbar.

The play moved to the other end of the field and in the 57th minute it was the Ivorians turn to be on the attack. Didier Drogba dispossessed Bougherra of the ball and got Kalou clear on goal. With the goal in his sights, Kalou tried to curl the ball round Chaouchi, but missed the target by a matter of inches.

Matmour had the opportunity to score a second goal on 68 minutes as he created a route to goal by dispossessing Ivorian defender Souleymane Bamba, who hesitated when clearing his lines, and stormed into the Ivorian penalty-area before shooting for goal. Barry waited for Matmour to let fly at goal before diving at full-stretch to his left to block the ball.

Kader Keita, seconds after entering the field as a substitute for Cote d'Ivoire, played a perfectball to split the Algerian back line and had teammate Gervinho clear on goal. But the top striker from Ligue 1 in France hit the ball and sent it over Chaouchi’s goal.

In the final minute of regulation time, Keita picked up a loose ball and crashed the ball with a thunderous left foot drive from 25 meters into the top right corner of Chaouchi’s goal to send the Ivorian fans into delirium.

As they celebrated, Algeria fought back and Bougherra was on the end of a long ball from the left, heading the ball downwards past Barry in the first minute of referee’s optional time. Bamba must take blame as he allowed Bougherra to roam in the danger area unchecked.

Algeria hit the Ivorians early on in extra time and took the lead for the first time in the match in the 92nd minute. Ziani floated the ball from the left towards goal and it travelled all the way to the back where his teammate Bouazza was on hand to head the ball past Barry.

Once again it was poor marking from Bamba which lead to the Ivorians conceding a goal.

In the 98th minute, Drogba muscled himself clear of the Algerian defence and went for goal unleashing a powerful shot from around 20 yards, but Chaouchi was up to the challenge and dived to his left to parry the ball down.

Kolo Toure scored what looked like a legitimate goal in optional time at the end of the game but the referees' assistant wrongly ruled that he was in an off side position when he took possession of the ball. It was not to be Cote d'Ivoire's night.

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 23:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Told you they were chokers.

bullshit, linesman denied a 100% correct goal for ivory coast...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 23:40
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
True, Kolo Toure btw, for the Green one.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2010, 23:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

So both the hosts and tournament favorites got knocked out.

I guess the holders are next in this crazy tournament..

Quote:

post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2010, 10:02
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri4life View Post
So both the hosts and tournament favorites got knocked out.

I guess the holders are next in this crazy tournament..

only if the Ref intervenes to help others like they did with the algerians...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in