ACN 2008: Group A (GHA, GUI, NAM, MOR) - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who will advance from Group A?
Ghana 29 76.32%
Guinea 1 2.63%
Namibia 1 2.63%
Morocco 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 18:51 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
ACN 2008: Group A (GHA, GUI, NAM, MOR)

In Group A we find:

Ghana
Guinea
Namibia
Morocco

Fixtures:
20/01/08: Ghana v Guinea, Accra

21/01/08: Namibia v Morocco, Accra

24/01/08: Guinea v Morocco, Accra
24/01/08: Ghana v Namibia, Accra

28/01/08: Ghana v Morocco, Accra
28/01/08: Guinea v Namibia, Sekondi

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 18:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ghana and Morocco should be making it through IMO even though Guinea can make things a bit tricky for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrix
zoric man, do you have like 5 screens in your room streaming 7 channels while simultaneously following 10 livescore websites?

p
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRiS_ThE_BuLLetDoDgeR View Post
ZORIC!!!

Feeling depressed about Kosovo? We still have ZORIC!!!

When someone asks for the most famous Serbian exports, you answer "Slivovica, Tesla i ZORIC!!!"
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2008, 23:20
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
I can only vote on one.

Ghana & Morocco dude.

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 12:35 Thread Starter
Legend

Damn, you are right. It's been so long I last made a poll. I don't know how to fix it actually.

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2008, 17:16
JESTER OF SORTS
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Dortmund, Leverkusen
I officially voted for Morocco because I knew others would vote Ghana.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2008, 21:16
Imperium Romanum
Star Player

Teams: Constantinople Football Team 550AD
Ghana all the way...
My favourite players in the tournament are in one team:
Appiah (Sp?)
Asamoah (He was in Udinese last I checked. No idea where he's at now)
Essien

Prediction:

Ghana
Morocco
Guinea
Namibia

If there is going to be an upset, then I can see Guinnea knocking out Morocco. Just a hunch......

Now my helmet's on, you can't tell me I'm not in space
With the National Guard United States Enterprise
Diplomat of swing with aliens at my feet
Coming down the rampart through beam on the street

~ Kool Keith
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2008, 23:51
Soldier of Fortune
Rising Star

Teams: Jagiellonia, Pakhtakor, Vicenza
If only Boussoufa could play, Morocco could be a surprise of the tournament. Without him, I predict Ghana to be an easy winner of this group.

To try to understand a poem is like touching a rose with innumerable thorns. To try to feel a poem is to lovingly hold a rose without a single thorn.

(Sri Chinmoy)
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2008, 14:38
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vami
If only Boussoufa could play, Morocco could be a surprise of the tournament. Without him, I predict Ghana to be an easy winner of this group.
Boussoufa is fit to play He'll propably start Saturday in our cup game

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2008, 07:37
Rookie

Guinea have recently played well.
Morocco are always under achieving and with the games being play in Ghana I think they may struggle.
Ghana and Guinea to go through
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2008, 17:58
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Guinea drop defender Constant from Nations Cup squad
by Samb Saliou in Reuters

Guinea have replaced French-born defender Kevin Constant with Mamadou Dioulde Bah in their squad for the African Nations Cup finals.

The Guinea Football Federation said the Toulouse defender had not been given permission by FIFA to play for the country in the upcoming tournament in Ghana.

"FIFA have told us he does not qualify to play in this competition," Fode Capi Camara, secretary general of the Guinea Football Federation, told Reuters.

"With the permission of the player we sent a dossier to FIFA to prove the Guinean origins of his mother to allow him to play for the national team. Unfortunately this investigation will not been completed in time."

The 20-year-old Constant has already been capped by the west Africans in a friendly match against Senegal in October.

Replacement Bah is from French club Racing Strasbourg but has yet to make a first team appearance. The 19-year-old is also uncapped at international level.

Guinea play hosts Ghana in the opening game of the Nations Cup in Accra on Jan. 20.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 11:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Guinea crush sleepy Sudan in Nations Cup warm-up

Guinea thrashed Sudan 6-0 in the most one-sided warm-up so far for the African Nations Cup in Ghana later this month.

Souleymane Youla from French Ligue 1 strugglers Lille struck four goals and Ukraine-based fellow striker Ismael Bangoura and midfielder Victor Correa from French lower league club Cherbourg scored once each in the southern city.

Sudan, who return to the biennial Nations Cup this month after a 32-year absence, have fared poorly here in friendlies, crashing 5-2 to Belgian club Genk before a 2-0 defeat by a virtual second-string Nigeria team.

But coach Mohamed Abdallah, a national hero after the Sudanese 'Desert Hawks' topped a qualifying group ahead of 2004 champions Tunisia, was not concerned by the latest hiding.

"We have been playing a friendly match every two days and my players are tired. These results are not a true reflection of the team that will perform in Ghana," he stressed.

Guinean joy at winning their sole warm-up was diluted by the loss from the squad of defender Kevin Constant of French club Toulouse as world body FIFA has not yet established that his mother was born in the west Africa country.

Another Ligue 1 defender, uncapped teenager Mamadou Bah of Strasbourg, replaces France-born Constant as Guinea prepare for Group A clashes against former champions Ghana and Morocco and minnows Namibia.

Sudan, whose last appearance was at the 1976 Nations Cup in Ethiopia, are in Group C with defending champions Egypt, four-time title holders Cameroon and twice runners-up Zambia.

source: AFP

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 12:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

GHANA

Nations Cup finals facts and figures

PAST RECORD

* Winners: 1963, 1965, 1978, 1982

* Runners-up: 1968, 1970, 1992

* As co-hosts of the 2000 finals they were disappointed to be knocked out at home in the quarter-finals. In 2004 they did not qualify for the finals, edged out by Rwanda in the one of the biggest upsets in Nations Cup history and two years ago failed to make it out of the first round group phase.

RECENT FORM
* Ghana have played 11 matches under Claude Leroy since October 2006, with six wins, three draws and two losses. A 5-0 defeat in Saudi Arabia in September caused a few ripples but wins over Togo and Benin in November's mini tournament in Accra have put expectation for a Nations Cup success back up at fever pitch.

COACH
* Claude Leroy, 59, came into replace the Serbian Ratomir Dujkovic after the 2006 World Cup finals.

* Leroy has already tasted success at the African Nations Cup finals with Cameroon in 1988.

* French-born Leroy is an institution in African football. He was the coach of the Democratic Republic of Congo at the last edition in Egypt breaking the record for the most matches coached at the Nations Cup finals.

* Leroy also coached Cameroon to the 1986 final in Egypt and Senegal to a semi-final place in 1990 and quarter-final place in 1992.

LEADING PLAYER
* Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has been nominated for a third successive year as one of the five finalists for the African Footballer of the Year award. he was third in 2005 and 2006.

OTHER
* Ghana's midfield with Essien, Stephen Appiah and Sulley Muntari is regarded as one of Africa's best and Italian-based striker Asamoah Gyan continues to show promise.

* Central defender John Mensah's performances in France with Stade Rennes have earned him the nickname 'The Rock".

* Ghana are likely to use off the bench the 17-year-old Dede Ayew, son of European Cup winner Abedi Pele.

source: reuters

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 12:04
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

GUINEA

Nations Cup finals fact and figures

PAST RECORD

* Runners-up: 1976

* Guinea will be competing in their ninth Nations Cup finals tournament since they first started participating in the qualifiers in 1963

* Guinea's 'Syli Nationale' were quarter-finalists at the last two editions of the tournament in Tunisia in 2004 and Egypt two years ago.

RECENT FORM
* Guinea have risen to third place among African country's in the FIFA world rankings, placed at 33. They began their Nations Cup qualifiers slowly with a single point from two matches but bounced back to easily win the group.

COACH
* Veteran French coach Robert Nouzaret returns to the Nations Cup finals tournament 10 years since his only previous exploit at the continental championship.

* Nouzaret led Ivory Coast to a place in the quarter-finals in the 1998 edition in Burkina Faso, where they lost after a goalless draw to eventual winners Egypt on penalties in the last eight.

* The 64-year-old Nouzaret has since had another spell in charge of the Elephants and took over as coach of Guinea at the start of the year, reviving their fortunes as they came from bottom place in the qualifying group to top the standings and qualify for Ghana.

LEADING PLAYER
* Captain Pascal Feinduono is the midfield pivot around whom the team revolves. He was on the shopping list of several major clubs in the off-season but settled for an extension of his contract at St Etienne.

OTHER
*Ismael Bangoura's goalscoring form with Le Mans in France's Ligue 1 saw him earn a lucrative move to Ukraine's Dynamo Kiev, where he competed in the UEFA Champions League this season.

* Fode Mansare, a striker with French club Toulouse, is the attacking foil to Feinduono's intelligent passing.

* Guinea have been running their eye over a host of teenage talent uncovered among French and Belgian clubs, mostly French-born but of Guinea origin.

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 12:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

NAMIBIA

PAST RECORD

* Namibia participate in the finals for only the second time, a decade after their debut at the 1998 finals in Burkina Faso.

* Namibia conceded 11 goals in their last finals appearance but also added an element of excitement with seven goals, a record for a debutant.

* The southern African country has only been independent since 1990 and first entered the qualifiers for the 1994 finals in Tunisia.

RECENT FORM
* Namibia were surprise qualifiers with virtually the last kick of their preliminary campaign, but have sought to put in some hastily-arranged preparation since. They have lost in friendlies in Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Tunisia recently. Overall in 2007, Namibia were beaten in seven of their 12 international outings.

COACH
* The 55-year-old Dutchman Arie Schans is an emergency appointment for Namibia, after Ben Bamfuchile quit in early December.

* Schans was going to be an adviser to Zambian-born Bamfuchile, who has been ill in recent months.

* Schans has travelled extensively from his roots at provincial club GVVV Veenendaal, working in Bhutan, Mozambique, China and Japan since.

LEADING PLAYER
* Colin Benjamin, 29, has been playing in the Namibian side for the last decade and is the only player from the country on the books of a major club in Europe. Injury has curtailed his appearances for Hamburg over the last year but he is expected to be fit to lead his country at the finals.

OTHER
* Namibia can call upon a large contingent of players from clubs in neighbouring Angola and South Africa, the most exciting of which is pocket battleship-like striker Meraai Swartbooi.

* Striker Henrico Botes will miss the finals with a serious knee injury.

* Goalkeeper Abiel Mbaha is legally deaf but uses a hearing aid to help in the matches.

Nelson Mandela
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2008, 12:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

MOROCCO

PAST RECORD

* Winners: 1976

* Runners-up: 2004

* In three of the last four Nations Cup finals, Morocco have qualified but then failed to get past the first round. In 2004 they unexpectedly progressed to the final where they lost narrowly to hosts Tunisia at Rades.

RECENT FORM
* Morocco qualified easily for the finals past group opponents Malawi and Zimbabwe but then fired coach Mohamed Fakhir, hiring Frenchman Henri Michel to take over in September. He has since won two of four games in charge and drew 2-2 with France in a Paris friendly in November.

COACH
* Henri Michel is a veteran of the continent's coaching circuit and participates in his fourth African Nations Cup finals. The 60-year-old signed for a second spell with Morocco in September.

* He took the Ivory Coast to the runners-up berth at the last finals in 2006 but before that, had lost two jobs because of poor performances at the tournament.

* Disappointing results at the tournament in Mali in 2002 saw Michel fired by Tunisia just months before he was supposed to take them to the World Cup finals in Japan. Morocco sacked him after at the 2000 Nations Cup finals.

LEADING PLAYER
* Girondins Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh again carries the hopes of his country into the tournament, at a time when his own career needs a major boost.

OTHER
* Injury is likely to deprive Morocco of the services of the Anderlecht midfielder Mbarak Boussoufa, one of several Dutch-born players in the squad.

* Tarek Sektioui's performances for Porto in the UEFA Champions League have won him a recall to the Morocco squad and he responded with a goal against the French in their friendly against at the Stade de France in November.

* Morocco have long had a problem in the goalkeeping department and the tenure of recent first choice Tarek Jarmouni seems to have been brought to end as Michel shuffles the side around.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 119 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2008, 08:22
Premier Player

Teams: Bosna / Manchester C / Fenerbahçe
i think Morocco and Ghana will go threw here

" Blue Moon, You saw me standing alone
Whitout a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own "
post #17 of 119 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2008, 20:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ghana need to hit the ground running - Le Roy

In Claude Le Roy Ghana have a coach who comes with an impressive African Nations Cup record with the 2008 edition starting here on Sunday the experienced Frenchman's sixth Cup.

The 59-year-old guided Cameroon to the title 20 years ago and as well as the Indomitable Lions he has managed Senegal and two years ago the Democratic Republic of Congo.

With his Black Stars' squad peppered with stars from Europe's major clubs Le Roy and his men are out to fulfil a nation's dream, starting with three points against Guinea in the opening match.

"We're favourites because we're hosting the competition. A lot of teams are here with a huge potential and that's why for us it'll be a big help to get the fans behind us.

"But sometimes it's up to the players to get the supporters backing them."

As coaches go Le Roy is an example of the laidback variety, and he dismissed the notion that his team would suffer stage fright at the prospect of living with their favourites' tag.

"We're not afraid, we're happy, no nerves - it's only a game."

Le Roy was flanked at the eve of match press conference at the team's hotel in Accra by Michael Essien, the Chelsea midfielder who has become even more central to the team in the absence of injured captain Stephen Appiah.

Essien said he was revelling in being back home.

"It's good to be back in Ghana, I feel really proud to be wearing my country's shirt. The reception when we all arrived at the airport was fantastic."

For Le Roy, under whom Ghana have lost only two of their 11 international friendly matches, Appiah's absence means he's had too tinker with his game plan.

"Sure with Stephen out it means I as coach have to find a new balance. But I'm fortunate, I have a lot of players who can bring something to the national team.

"I have a lot of possibilities."

Local predictions for Sunday's opener suggest Ghana are going to run away with it, prompting Le Roy to attempt to tone down expectations.

"Talk of us winning 3-0 is disrespectful - what we want are the three points.

"Guinea are a skilful football team. They've got some of the best players in the French league. It's a well balanced side and we know it will be very complicated.

"They have players who can create problems, like Pascal Feindouno, but it's important we get a win on the table."

source: AFP

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 119 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2008, 21:02
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ghana's Ayew bids to follow in father's footsteps

Young Ghana talent Dede Ayew hopes to emulate his father, former African Footballer of the Year Abedi Pele, and help Ghana win the African Nations Cup.

Ayew, who made his league debut at French club Olympique Marseille this season, is expected to start when Ghana host Guinea in the tournament's opening match in Accra.

At 18, Ayew has a chance to mirror the first major achievement of his father, who was a 17-year-old prodigy when Ghana last won the Nations Cup in 1982.

"I think we can do something great for this country in this tournament," the junior Ayew said on Friday as the Black Stars put their final touches together for the Sunday's game.

"I would obviously want to achieve the same as my father did. We are taking it all very seriously. As hosts we know we have to get off to a good start and to qualify for the next round."

He added: "Guinea have a great team and we know Sunday's match will be difficult but we have the fighting spirit and the people behind us to go on and do great things at this tournament."

Ayew won the first of his four caps last year but all his appearances for Ghana have come as a substitute. The absence of injured captain Stephen Appiah in midfield means Ayew is likely to earn promotion to coach Claude Le Roy's starting line-up.

"We had all the opportunity to prepare properly in Dubai where we had a good training camp, which was great to build our team spirit," said Ayew.

"At the moment it has all gone off very well and if it continues like this we can go very far."

Despite his tender years and the pressure of carrying a famous family name, Ayew shrugged off the burden of expectation on the tournament hosts.

"I don't think we players feel the pressure as much as our coach," he said. "We know what we have to do, go out on the pitch and do what we know best."

Abedi Pele was a three-time African Footballer of the Year, helped Marseille win the European Cup and captained Italian Serie A club Torino.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 119 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2008, 12:06 Thread Starter
Legend

OK guys, today is the day. In 5 hours time the tournament will kick off with possible potential winners, favourites and hosts Ghana taking on the underdogs from Guinea. What can we expect from this game? I think that Ghana will be looking to make their mark right away. It will be interesting to see how they will fare without Appiah. Also, I think they lack offensive firepower, which will cost them dearly in this tournament.

My prediction:
1-1

post #20 of 119 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2008, 13:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince-O
OK guys, today is the day. In 5 hours time the tournament will kick off with possible potential winners, favourites and hosts Ghana taking on the underdogs from Guinea. What can we expect from this game? I think that Ghana will be looking to make their mark right away. It will be interesting to see how they will fare without Appiah. Also, I think they lack offensive firepower, which will cost them dearly in this tournament.

My prediction:
1-1
This is a tough one to predict. A lot of expectations are on the home boys but there's also many people betting on Guinea as the main dark horses of this tournament. I believe in Ghana but I think they will not have an easy one.

My prediction:
1-0

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in