Official Cameroon Thread: Indomitable Lions - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2007, 01:54 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Official Cameroon Thread: Indomitable Lions

Portsmouth complete Lauren deal

Portsmouth have signed Arsenal defender Lauren on a two-and-a-half year deal.

The Cameroon player, who turns 30 on Friday, has joined for an undisclosed fee following six-and-a-half years at the Gunners.

"Lauren is an outstanding player. He is a great athlete and professional, very strong and quick, too," Pompey boss Harry Redknapp told the club website.

"I'm delighted he's decided to join us over a whole host of clubs that were after him."

Lauren, who missed the whole of 2006 after knee surgery, had not played for Arsenal this season.

The versatile player fell down the pecking order this campaign, with Emmanuel Eboue and Justin Hoyte picked ahead of him in the first-team reckoning.

He joined Arsenal for £7.2m from Mallorca in 2000 and made 241 appearances for the north London side.

Lauren added: "This is a great move for me.

"Portsmouth are having a great season and are pushing for a place in Europe and I aim to be playing my part in that challenge.

"I have been very impressed with the club's plans for the future, both on and off the pitch, and this was why I chose to come to Fratton Park.

"It will also be good to once again to team up with former Arsenal team-mates Sol Campbell and Kanu."

Portsmouth's new signing will go straight into the squad to face Charlton on Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2007, 22:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Celtic sign up Cameroon defender

Celtic have signed Cameroon full-back Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe on a six-month loan from French club Rennes.

The Scottish champions also have the option to sign the 28-year-old permanently for a further two years.

Perrier-Doumbe told Celtic's website: "I know that they are a massive club with a great history and support.

"It means a lot to me to be joining a club which not only is doing well in the league but is still involved in the Champions League."

BBC Sport understands that Celtic will pay the French club £400,000.

Perrier-Doumbe trained with his new team-mates on Tuesday, but the transfer was held up by the need for international clearance.

Celtic are looking to strengthen their defence after injuries to Bobo Balde, Gary Caldwell and Mark Wilson.

Perrier-Doumbe is not cup-tied for the Champions League, unlike recent signing Steven Pressley.

"He can play at both left-back and right-back and he is a strong, powerful defender," said agent Willie McKay when the player began a two-day trial with Celtic on 12 January.

"He is an experienced player who has played at two World Cups with Cameroon and he has been unlucky this season with injury.

"He almost joined Middlesbrough last summer before he picked up an injury."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2007, 16:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Which Lions Against Togo ?
The moral of the team is put to question following the imbroglio between the coach and football authorities.

The national football team, the Indomitable Lions will resume action tomorrow, after three months of inactivity, when they face the Eagles of Togo in Lome for a friendly encounter during the second FIFA period for the year reserved for friendly matches. Though Cameroon beat Togo 3-0 during the last African Cup of Nations in Egypt, repeating this exploit is not a foregone conclusion given that so much water has flown beneath the bridge ever since this encounter took place.

Togo left the African Cup of Nations to play the World Cup in Germany and must have gathered experience from the expedition. Cameroon, on her part, though having won convincing victories against Rwanda and Equatorial Guinea by an identical score of 3-0, in the eliminatory round of the African Cup of Nations in Ghana 2008, the atmosphere within the squad is far from being serene

following the imbroglio between the head coach, Arie Haan and football authorities in Cameroon.

The idea of the match was rejected by the Dutchman who felt players won’t be able to rejoin their clubs in time after the encounter. The coach whose job is now in the balance, had preferred a high profile match against Cote d’Ivoire in France or a French selection. However, FECAFOOT officials preferred the match with Togo, which they say is going to give some money to the federation which is in financial difficulties. The match is said to fetch Cameroon some 33million francs, 50 percent of which will go to the players and 40 percent to the federation to compensate travelling expenses.

With the conflict now open between Arie Haan and FECAFOOT authorities, the moral of the team is put to question when they meet in Lome-Togo. That is, if Arie Haan finally makes the trip to Togo. the Lions were to camp on Monday in France before the onward journey to Togo yesterday.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2007, 06:00
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Inter Milan president: New signings would be stupid
tribalfooball.com - February 19, 2007

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has played down reports of a move for one of Barcelona's big three - Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o or Leo Messi.
"If Barcelona are to sell one of them - that will be a decision they must make," said Moratti.
"Do you want to know who our big signing will be this year?

"Adriano.

"Now that he is focused, he will return to be the devastating player that we remember.

"Look, I find it stupid to be thinking about reinforcing this great squad. Not only that, it could be dangerous, because a new arrival could easily upset the morale and balance inside the dressing room."

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2007, 20:42 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Atouba out for three weeks

Cameroon international defender Thimothee Atouba will out of action for three weeks because on injury.

The 25-year-old, who plays for German side Hamburg, tore a ligament during his side's 4-2 defeat by rivals Stuttgart last week.

A thorough examination has revealed that he will need three weeks to recover.

"I hope to be back as soon as possible," Atouba said.

Atouba's absence is a blow for 13th-placed Hamburg, who are battling to beat the drop.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2007, 22:42
Rising Star

i started to support camerron from 1990, i was 7 years old when they eliminated from the quarter-final of world cup 90
i think cameroon after winning african title in 2002 and eliminated from the 1st round in world cup 2002 did not do their best
they failed in winning african title 2004 and 2006 (I attended all the matches of them in 2006)
they failed to qualify to the world cup 2006 although they had a home-away victories against cote d'ivoire 2-0 & 3-2 but they lost 2-3 in egypt and drew 1-1 in yaunde and drew 1-1 with sudan

after 90 generation who win african titles in 84 and 88, cameroon passed a black period
they came 4th in acn 92 and eliminated from acn 94 qualification and from the 1st round in acn 96 and lost 1-6 from russia in world cup 94

after that, they produced a nes generation started to play in world cup 98
now, they need a new generation to be back to be no 1 in africa again
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2007, 06:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Artur Jorge on shortlist to return as Cameroon coach
by Tansa Musa for Reuters in Yaoundé

Artur Jorge, who quit as Cameroon coach after the team's quarter-final exit at the 2006 African Nations Cup, has been shortlisted to return to the job for next year's tournament, a soccer federation source said on Wednesday.

Artur Jorge, from Portugal, was one of five coaches shortlisted on Tuesday by a commission set up by the central African country's sports ministry and soccer federation FECAFOOT, an aide to FECAFOOT president Mohamed Iya told Reuters.

The list also includes Frenchmen Philippe Troussier and Jean-Pierre Papin and Germany's Otto Pfister, who led West African minnows Togo to their first World Cup last year.

The shortlist will be passed to Sports Minister Augustin Edzoa for a final decision.

"It was not an easy job for the commission because they had to go through 76 applications from 21 countries across the globe," said the aide, who did not wish to be identified.

The Indomitable Lions, keen to revisit the glory days of Roger Milla who led the side to the World Cup quarter finals in 1990, have already qualified for the 2008 African Nations Cup in Ghana under caretaker coach Jules Nyongha.

FECAFOOT resisted pressure from the public and national team players including Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o, who had joined calls for Nyongha to be made a permanent appointment.

They have been without a permanent coach since Dutchman Arie Haan quit in February after six months and just two matches.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2007, 12:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Cameroon name Pfister as coach
Reuters in Yaoundé

Otto Pfister, the German who led Togo in their chaotic World Cup debut last year, has been named Cameroon manager, state radio reported on Friday.

Pfister, who has been coaching Sudanese club side Al Merreikh, was appointed in a decree signed by Sports Minister Augustin Edzoa, the report said.

Cameroon, Africa's second-highest ranked team in the FIFA standings, have been managed by caretaker Jules Nyongha.

He was put in charge after Dutchman Arie Haan quit in February following a contractual dispute with the soccer authorities after six months and just two matches in the job.

Pfister will take Cameroon to the African Nations Cup finals in Ghana starting in January. Their quarter-final exit from the 2006 tournament led Portugal's Artur Jorge to quit as coach.

The German has had success at club level in Africa, winning the continent's Cup Winners' Cup with Egyptian side Zamalek.

On the international scene, Pfister led Togo to a surprise place at last year's World Cup in Germany where they went out at the group stage having lost all their matches after the players went on strike over the payment of their cash bonuses.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old December 18th, 2007, 09:46
Star Player

Teams: Romania
NT Friendly for March 26th?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2008, 03:40
Premier Player

Teams: Canada, Ireland, Tottenham Hotspur, FC Brasov
Congratulations to Cameroon for their showing in the Cup of Nations this year. I was hoping they would win it all, but I'm happy with their performance.

I became a fan of theirs in 2002 during the World Cup, and try to follow the Indomitable Lions whenever I can.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2008, 11:19
Star Player

Teams: United, Atletico
Yeah Cameroon i thought were the dark horses for the tournament. Well Done Guys
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old December 16th, 2011, 21:14
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Cameroon ban captain Eto’o for 15 matches
in AFP, 16.12.2011

Cameroon banned reigning African Footballer of the Year Samuel Eto'o for 15 matches Friday after a players' strike forced a friendly fixture in Algeria last month to be cancelled.

The surprisingly harsh punishment was meted out by the Cameroon Football Federation (FECAFOOT) disciplinary committee and reported on the website of the governing body.

National team striker and captain Eto'o has been voted African Footballer of the Year a record four times and has represented the Cameroonian 'Indomitable Lions' for more than a decade.

But the Russia-based striker has frequently disagreed with officials—especially on money issues—and took the brunt of the blame when a strike prevented the Algeria match going ahead.

Cameroon had beaten Sudan and drawn with hosts Morocco in a four-nation Marrakech tournament and were due to wrap up a hectic friendlies schedule against Algeria.

Eto'o and his team-mates claimed they were not paid money due to them by FECAFOOT and the fixture had to be canned with Algeria claiming one million dollars compensation for lost revenue.

The star has two weeks to appeal the ban which would rule him out of a 2013 Africa Cup of Nations tie in Guinea Bissau on February 29 next year and 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Democratic Republic of Congo and Libya in June.

Vice-captain Eyong Enoh, who plays for Dutch club Ajax Amsterdam, was given a two-match ban for his role in a strike which caused huge embarrassment for Cameroon football.

Tottenham Hotspur defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto, another footballer involved in endless disputes with the Cameroonian authorities, received a 2,000-dollar fine for not honouring a call-up to the Marrakech tournament.

Eto'o, who played for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan before joining Anzhi Makhachkala last August for a reported world record salary, and Enoh attended a FECAFOOT disciplinary hearing last Monday.

Rumours spread soon after that Eto'o faced a seven-match suspension from a national team struggling to maintain its status as one of the best on the continent.

More than doubling the ban to 15 matches is sure to trigger outrage among supporters with Eto'o seen as the team catalyst despite proving an unsuccessful skipper since replacing veteran defender Rigobert Song two years ago.

Cameroon lost all three pool matches in one of the weaker 2010 World Cup first round mini-leagues and were the first country eliminated from the tournament in South Africa.

More disappointment followed in the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with the Indomitable Lions finishing a distant second behind Senegal and not reaching the finals for the first time in 18 years.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in