LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2006, 16:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Official South Africa NT thread: Bafana Bafana

South Africa make six changes to squad for Zambia match
Reuters in Johannesburg

South Africa on Thursday named uncapped striker Nathan Paulse in their 20-man squad for next month's African Nations Cup qualifier against Zambia in Lusaka.

Caretaker coach Pitso Mosimane, in charge of his last match before the arrival of Brazilian Carlos Alberto Parreira, made six changes to the squad that drew 0-0 at home with Congo earlier this month at the start of the qualifying campaign for the 2008 Nations Cup finals.

Back in the squad are defenders George Mofokeng and Siphiwe Mkhonza and the midfield trio of Mlungisi Gumbi, Siphiwe Tshabalala and Benedict Vilakazi.

Paulse, from Ajax Cape Town, is the only uncapped player in the side

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Rowen Fernandez (Kaizer Chiefs), Calvin Marlin (Mamelodi Sundowns)

Defenders: Bradley Carnell (Karlsruhe, Germany), Ricardo Katza (SuperSport United), Siphiwe Mkhonza (Kaizer Chiefs), George Mofokeng (Ajax Cape Town), Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers, England), Nasief Morris (Panathinaikos, Greece), Cyril Nzama (Kaizer Chiefs)

Midfielders: Mlungisi Gumbi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Siyabonga Nkosi (Kaizer Chiefs), Steven Pienaar (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Gert Schalkwyk (Kaizer Chiefs), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan, Russia), Dillon Sheppard (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Free State Stars), Benedict Vilakazi (Orlando Pirates)

Strikers: Siyabonga Nomvete (Aalborg BK, Denmark), Nathan Paulse (Ajax Cape Town), Glen Salmon (FC Groningen, Netherlands).

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 16:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Parreira still optimistic about South Africa

by Mark Gleeson in Lusaka
Reuters

Carlos Alberto Parreira said on Saturday he was still optimistic over taking charge of South Africa even though he faces the possibility of starting the job next year with this new side in a precarious position.

The Brazilian said the challenge of leading the team at the 2010 World Cup finals filled him with optimism but conceded there was concern about the country's chances of qualifying for the 2008 African Nations Cup finals.

After being held to a draw at home in their first qualifier last month, South Africa now face the possibility of going five points behind main rivals Zambia if they lose in their crunch Group 11 game in Lusaka on Sunday.

Parreira, who is in Lusaka to watch the game ahead of taking over the South Africa post in mid-January, said the country faced a massive challenge if they were to be competitive at the 2010 finals, which they will be hosting.

"I am still optimistic and still positive for my work which starts next year. But we have to work a lot in South Africa on creating the right infra-structure and organisation.

"We won't reach the heights we want to if good ground work is not laid down," he said in an interview.

Parreira said he would not be involved in preparations for Sunday's game in Lusaka, preferring only to observe.

"But I'm picking up a lot about the players, about the culture, about the behaviour.

"When I do get involved, then I'll really be involved. I don't believe in doing a half job. It has been a good idea to just come and watch and to see what kind of foundation we need."

Parreira's first game in charge will be a Nations Cup qualifier in Chad in March but by then South Africa face the possibility of being considerably behind in their group standings, if the lose on Sunday.

Only the winner of the 12 qualifying groups plus the three best second-placed finishers qualify for the 16-team Nations Cup finals in Ghana in 2008.

Parreira led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title and also took charge of them at this year's tournament in Germany.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2006, 19:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Mokoena goal gives South Africa victory in Zambia

by Mark Gleeson in Lusaka
Reuters

Captain Aaron Mokoena scored with a first half header to hand South Africa a morale-boosting 1-0 win away against Zambia in their African Nations Cup qualifier on Sunday.

The defender, restored to the captaincy, rose to head home a free kick from Delron Buckley in the 28th minute.

The result was the first home defeat in Lusaka in more than two decades for the Zambians in Nations Cup qualifiers.

World Cup 2010 hosts South Africa, watched by future coach Carlos Alberto Parreira, revived their chances in the qualifiers for the 2008 finals in Ghana after a surprise draw at home in their first qualifier last month.

Mokoena's goal was his first in 58 international appearances and came as a timely lift for South Africa, whose poor run of recent form has seen them slip dramatically in the FIFA rankings.

The visitors missed several other chances for a more convincing victory but also had goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez to thank for securing the points.

Fernandez made a point blank stop two minutes from the end to deny Zambia's striker Collins Mbesuma.

Zambia produced a late flurry in search of an equaliser against their tired opponents on a hot afternoon but failed to breach a tight defence.

South Africa squandered two chances through left winger Simphiwe Tshabalala and twice saw Zambian goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene deny MacBeth Sibya, the Russian-based midfielder restored to the South African side after a two-year absence.

"It was a good game for South Africa, we really needed this one," said Mokoena.

"It was a big thrill to score. I had to show people I deserved to play in the national team," he added in a reference to missing the Nations Cup finals in Egypt earlier this year.

Nelson Mandela

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2006, 15:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South Africa go to London in search of bigger crowds

Reuters in Johannesburg

South Africa are to play a friendly international against African champions Egypt in London next month because they believe they will attract a bigger crowd than if they played at home.

South African Football Association chief executive officer Raymond Hack told Johannesburg's Star newspaper on Tuesday the match had been scheduled for Nov. 15.

"It's a decision we took based on what happened in our last match against Congo when we attracted about 6000 fans," the newspaper quoted him as saying. "We can do better in London."

A long running dip in form has seen attendance at home games decline but South Africa have also played just one of their 10 internationals this year at home.

Hack's statement will reinforce concerns over ticket sales for the 2010 World Cup finals, given generally low attendances for all forms of football in the country.

Hack did not gives details of the venue for the match, but several internationals African sides in recent years have been played at Brentford's Griffin Park and at Loftus Road, home of Queen's Park Rangers.

Nelson Mandela
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2006, 01:57
Rising Star

What a great solution! You're hosting the World Cup in 4 years and because not enough people come out at home, you decide to move the game to England??? How about a 'marketing campaign'?? Sometimes I wonder what these African FA's are on.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2007, 00:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South Africa's Mokoena relishing Scotland battle
AFP in Aberdeen
August 21, 2007

South Africa captain Aaron Mokoena said Tuesday he loves a British-style physical contest on the pitch and reckons his experience in England will serve him well against Scotland.

The Blackburn Rovers defender is set to lead out Bafana Bafana against the Scots at Pittodrie here on Wednesday in a warm-up game for both sides.

"I think it will be a very physical game against Scotland because the Scottish and English leagues are similar," he said.

"I enjoy the physical part of the game and it has gone well for me in English football. I enjoy battling, it's part of my game."

Mokoena, 26, added he would love to play for Glasgow giants Celtic and Rangers in the future should he get the chance.

"I haven't had the chance to go to Scotland but I would love to go to two teams -- Celtic or Rangers. I would love to play for either of them.

"Both sides are certainly the top teams in Scotland and I'm certain they could do well in England or playing against English clubs. You never know if it will happen in the future.

"I am happy at Blackburn now but you can never tell what will happen," he added.

Scotland are preparing for a 2008 European Championship qualifying double-header against Lithuania in Glasgow on September 8, and then away to France four days later.

Meanwhile 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa are looking for a morale-boosting victory ahead of their final African Nations Cup qualifier at home to Zambia on September 8.

"We need to play these types of games," former Ajax defender Mokoena said.

"Scotland play with a lot of tempo but we are very good on the ball, very quick and so it will be a very interesting game. We have a great respect for Scotland but it is a great chance for us and we will go out there and enjoy ourselves.

"It is an exciting time for us and we look forward to it."

Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2007, 23:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South African international dies in car accident
Reuters in Johannesburg

South African international midfielder Gift Leremi was killed in a car accident late on Monday, his club officials and police said on Tuesday.

Leremi, 22, had just returned from Cameroon where he played for South African champions Mamelodi Sundowns in an African Confederation Cup match at the weekend.

He joined Sundowns during the off-season after spending five seasons at Orlando Pirates.

Leremi, who had scored twice since his move to Sundowns, won four caps for South Africa, the last two years ago at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the U.S.

Nelson Mandela
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2007, 12:36
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
South Africa will most probably play a friendly in Skopje vs Macedonia on 13.10.2007.

r any south africans on XT?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2007, 13:29
JD
Legend

im a south african!
and i think i saw one more floating around somewhere on xt
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old October 19th, 2007, 18:27
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal,Inter
hey
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2007, 15:01 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South Africa lose to USA

South Africa lost the Nelson Mandela Challenge for the third year in a row after a lone goal from Steve Cherundolo secured a 1-0 victory for USA.

Right back Cherundolo, who plays for German side Hanover 96, struck from a tight angle in the 28th minute at Ellis Park.

South Africa, who will host the 2010 World Cup, did most of the running in the second half but were unable to prise open the visiting team's defence.

Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira asked for patience from the fans of South Africa, who have won only one of their last seven internationals.

"I'm happy with the pressing in the second half and the way we created chances," Parreira said afterwards.

"This is all part of the learning process but it was still disappointing to lose the game."

source: BBC football

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2007, 23:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Parreira: Winning is always good

Friday 9 November 2007
in FIFA.com

Carlos Alberto Parreira is one of the most experienced coaches in the history of the FIFA World Cup™, taking four countries to the finals. He has also, of course, won its prized trophy with Brazil in 1994, along with the 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup.

However, now sat in the South Africa hot-seat, Parreira faces arguably his biggest challenge to date: guiding an expectant host nation at the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Initial evidence that Parreira is on the right track came in the form of the nation's first title in five years - the COSAFA Cup - and their qualification for the CAF Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana.

In the final of the COSAFA Cup, South Africa met Zambia, whom they had lost out to in the race to progress to Ghana 2008 as group winners, but this time the result left the Bafana Bafana smiling. FIFA.com caught up with Parreira to discuss this triumph and his hopes for South Africa.

FIFA.com: Carlos Alberto, you have just won the COSAFA Cup - you must be excited about this?
Carlos Alberto Parreira: It is always good to win. But this can't just happen, first you must be structured, you must have a plan and you must work for it. This is what we tried to implement.

What are the fundamental changes you would like to implement?
Any change in life is very difficult to implement, to change the philosophy of play. South Africa should be playing possession football, like Brazil. They told us that South Africans don't like this type of football so I was pleased to see the Mamelodi Sundowns and Kaizer Chiefs match. Sundowns lost a player, but they won 2-1. They were keeping possession and the crowd was happy and cheering so such play does excite the crowd.

Many of South Africa's established players may arguably be too old to play in 2010. Do you have plans to find new players?
The COSAFA Cup gave us the opportunity to see new faces in the country. In Brazil, when we have young players, they are 19 or 20 when they play in the Brazilian national team. In South Africa, they are 23, 24 or 25- they mature too late. In Brazil, a player is already established at 25. The COSAFA team was young different faces and it is very important to win, especially against Zambia. The better team should have won, and they did. Winning gives you confidence and salso now the younger players will fight for positions in the national team. These next games are going to help us decide how to change and who to pick for the African Cup of Nations.

What are your aims for the African Cup of Nations?
In the African Cup of Nations, South Africa is the only team to have qualified to play in the World Cup. All other teams will fight - if you remember Cameroon and Nigeria did not play in the past World Cup. The other teams must play good and qualify, so our target is not only to win, but also to prepare the team for the World Cup.

This is the big picture, you must always see the big picture and the big picture for us is the World Cup. Preperation for the World Cup is the most important thing and we will also need the will to win.

What do you think is necessary for a successful national team?
We need these leagues for the younger players. You look at Ronaldinho, who was five when he started playing at a club, Ronaldo was seven. And in eight or ten years, they were playing in the national team. You need to encourage local players from a young age to make a movement, this why youth teams are so important. If you look at Zico, Falcao, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, they all started in the U-15 national team. Maybe the only one who did not is Pele, because he was 16 when he played for the senior team. That is how life works, you make a movement towards something. You go to elementary school, then high school, then university, the same with football.

South Africa have dropped on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. Does this concern you?
I am not worried about dropping five points, because we are playing Scotland and Italy. We must play highly competitive games and gain the experience. I get asked why play so many European teams, but in the World Cup 15 teams come from Europe, and I have never seen two African teams in the same group. If anything, they (the African teams) meet in the round of 16. We also play African teams every two years in the African Cup of Nations, and then there is also the qualifications. These are all wonderful opportunities for preparations for 2010.

How do you think the team performed so far?
I am happy with the first half of the Italy game, and I am happy with the Scotland games. It is important to see the progress and see how to improve. We have trust in Bryce Moon, Bennett Chenene and Moneeb Joseph are very consistent during the COSAFA Cup. Teko Modise is a great hope.

What is your plan for the South African national team?
For the first two years, we scout as many players as possible and playing many friendlies, COSAFA Cup and the African Cup of Nations. Our plan is that we have two years to see the players. So far we have seen 77 players and there are still about ten to 12 that still need the opportunity to play. It is a slow process. National coaches do not get to see the players every day, so it takes a bit longer. You don't how good a player is, until you play him in a national team. Ademir da Guia was the top goal scorer for Palmeiras but when he played in the national team in the 1974 World Cup, he could not play.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2007, 23:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Modise the hero as South Africa triumph
AFP in Durban
November 20, 2007

Rising star Teko Modise scored twice late in the first half as South Africa beat Canada 2-0 in a friendly international on Tuesday.

The diminutive Orlando Pirates midfielder curled the ball into the roof of the net after 39 mintues and converted a stoppage-time penalty after captain Paul Stalteri fouled Thembinkosi 'Terror' Fanteni.

Tottenham Hotspur defender Stalteri was sent off 11 minutes from full-time by the Malawian referee after a second caution at a warm and humid Absa Stadium in the Indian Ocean city.

It was the first win by 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa this year against non-African opposition after holding Uruguay and losing to Bolivia, Scotland, Italy and the United States.

The sight of the ball hitting the net twice was especially pleasant for Bafana Bafana (The Boys) coach Carlos Parreira from Brazil after his team managed just three goals in the previous eight matches.

And success was achieved with a virtual B team including only two of the Europe-based contingent, goalkeeper Rowan Fernandez and midfielder Lance Davids.

Canada, ranked above South Africa in the world, failed to score for the first time in 10 matches this year as they suffered only their third loss.

South Africa were quick out of the blocks amd came close to scoring several times before Modise broke the deadlock with a shot from outside the penalty area that gave Lars Hirschfeld no chance.

And after a long delay as Stalteri protested his innocence over a collision with Fanteni, the goalkeeper dived the wrong way while Modise tucked the ball into the other corner.

Bafana Bafana continued to press in the secon half and Hirschfeld reacted quickly to push away a Davids drive while Julian de Guzman tested Fernandez in a rare Canadian attack.

Fernandez did well to foil veteran Canadian Tomas Radzinski, sticking out his left foot to prevent a goal after the Greece-based midfielder burst through.

South Africa have won five internationals, drawn four and lost five this year under Parreira, coach of the 1994 Brazil World Cup-winning team, and complete their programme with a non-cap game against Lesotho next Tuesday.

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2007, 16:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
How do you guys rate SuperSport Uniteds Kermit Erasmus ?

We have a partnership with Supersport Utd. so he's been training with us, Feyenoord, for the last 3 months. Expectation is that he'll be signed in the summer by us when he's 18 and eligible to play in the eredivisie. Been compared to Rooney and Romario cos of the explosiveness in his game. Hope he's good

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2008, 12:55 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Brazilian Parreira to quit South Africa

Brazilian World Cup winner Carlos Alberto Parreira will announce his resignation as coach of South Africa, football federation officials said on Sunday.

Parreira will meet with the federation’s executive committee to explain he is being forced to end his tenure after just 16 months because of the poor health of his wife.

“It is a tragedy that no one foresaw and is very difficult for all concerned,” an official told Reuters.

Johannesburg’s Sunday Times reported his wife Leila was suffering from cancer. Parreira is expected to announce his resignation at a media briefing on Monday.

Parreira, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 1994, had been tasked with preparing South Africa’s side for the 2010 World Cup, which the country is hosting.

Despie indifferent results over the last year, he was widely regarded as being on the right track for success.

COMPETITIVE TEAM

Anxious to put together a competitive team for the tournament, South Africa had engaged Parreira in a blaze of publicity in mid-2006.

He only formally took up the job at the start of 2007, when he was appointed as the country’s 14th coach in 15 years.

His high salary was an immediate causer of controversy but the Brazilian slowly won over a sceptical media, experimenting with line-ups and uncovering talented players.

In an interview with Reuters during January’s African Nations Cup, Parreira said he found trying to build a South Africa team from scratch more rewarding than his previous job coaching Brazil at the 2006 World Cup.

Officials said South Africa hoped to find another high profile Brazilian coach and wanted Parreira’s long-time assistant, Julio Leal, to stay with the team.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2008, 00:09
Hexacampeão
Premier Player

Teams: Flamengo and Seleção
Flamengo's head coach Joel Santana will take over for Parreira as South Africa's head coach.

Quote:
Quem veste a camisa do Flamengo tem que saber onde está e qual o peso que isso representa. É um clube de tradição, acostumado a conquistar títulos.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2008, 00:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengão86 View Post
Flamengo's head coach Joel Santana will take over for Parreira as South Africa's head coach.
Seriously? Well that is a surprise. I was expecting some no named gloryhunter to do it. I hope he does well.

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South Africa turn to Santana’s clipboard
by Brian Homewood in Reuters

Hosts South Africa are set to place their 2010 World Cup fortunes, and possibly those of the tournament’s success, in the hands of a Brazilian journeyman coach and his trusted clipboard.

Joel Santana, 59, appeared to be reaching the end of what, until now, had been a typical career for a Brazilian coach in which he has won trophies and been sacked by a succession of clubs, only to keep coming back for more.

Yet, despite having no experience with a national side and only a couple of brief stints with clubs in the Middle East and Japan, Santana has been given the chance to coach the host nation of the first World Cup to be played on African soil.

On Monday, Santana’s club Flamengo said that he had agreed terms to replace compatriot Carlos Alberto Parreira, who quit the ‘Bafana Bafana’ for personal reasons. The decision has still to be confirmed by the South Africa Football Association (SAFA).

The coach is known for his down-to-earth style and his trademark clipboard, which he has faithfully stood by in an age when many fellow coaches have turned to laptop computers.

Describing the offer as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, he was typically modest on Monday.

“I’m happy that I’m being recognised outside Brazil. It shows that my work is not all that bad,” he said.

Santana is a veteran survivor of the topsy-turvy world of Brazilian coaching where success, though wildly celebrated, is quickly forgotten.

He has had a remarkable four stints with both Flamengo and Fluminense and three with their Rio de Janeiro rivals Vasco da Gama.

Santana has also coached Botafogo, Bahia, Vitoria, Coritiba, Corinthians, Guarani and Internacional.

He has won the Carioca (Rio de Janeiro state) championship with Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo and Vasco, plus the Brazilian championship and Copa Mercosur with Vasco.

FOUR SACKINGS

But he has also experienced the other side of the coin and is no stranger to the sack.

Between 2003 and 2004, he was fired by four clubs, lasting five games at Guarani and 16 in a subsequent spell at Internacional.

But in 2005, he bounced back to save Flamengo from relegation and returned to the same club two years later, where he led them from 15th place in the Brazilian championship to a top-four finish and a place in the South American Libertadores Cup.

Most commentators agreed that the sum of Flamengo’s team was greater than its parts, a quality which may have attracted the South Africans.

Santana will again have limited resources at his disposal, yet South Africa are seen as needing to perform well in 2010 to maintain local enthusiasm for the tournament.

But, after four spells with a club who claim to have 25 million fans and boast one of the most fickle followings anywhere, pressure is something that Santana is more than used to coping with.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2008, 21:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

South Africa win Cosafa Cup
in BBC Football

South Africa won their third Cosafa Senior Challenge Cup title by beating Mozambique 2-1 in the final on Sunday in the South African town of Bushbuckridge.

Marcellino Fransch scored in each half, with Mozambique's Gerson Txuma finding a consolation goal in second-half stoppage time.

South Africa won the tournament using a squad of players mostly from their second division, while most of the other teams fielded their strongest-possible sides.

The victory means that South Africa have won the Cosafa Cup three times, as have Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2008, 17:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Santana recalls Booth for Bafana
in BBC Football

Former South Africa Olympic captain Matthew Booth has been recalled to the Bafana Bafana squad for their crucial 2010 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Nigeria.

Booth, who plays in Russia for Krylya Sovetov, last played for the full national side three years ago.

He replaces Aaron Mokoena, who misses the game against the Super Eagles through suspension.

Also in the squad is Mbulelo Mabizela, who last played for South Africa in 2006.

Last year he served a six-month ban after testing positive for cannabis.

Bafana Bafana coach Joel Santana has acknowledged the precarious position of his side in their bid to reach the Africa Cup of Nations finals in Angola in 2010.

"We are fighting to qualify for the final round in Angola," he said.

South Africa have just four points from their four matches so far.

"We have tried to balance the team by bringing in a lot of experience in this selection, as this is going to be a very difficult game (against Nigeria)," Santana said.

"May I add that a win against Nigeria will not mean we should get carried away.

"It is a game which is as important as the one against Equatorial Guinea, because we must not lose sight of the bigger picture which is the 2010 World Cup."

After naming his line-up, Santana was forced to make one change.

Goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez is still injured and has been replaced by Moeneeb Josephs, who was in the squad for the friendly against Australia last week.

South Africa have asked for a second opinion through Fernandez's club in Germany, as they are allowed to do under Fifa rules.

Siboniso Gaxa is another player who has been called in to the squad, having last turned out for the national side two years ago.

Midfielder Lebohang Mothibantwa is the only uncapped member of the squad.

Goalkeepers:
Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates)

Defenders:
Siboniso Gaxa and Mbulelo Mabizela (Mamelodi Sundowns), Matthew Booth (Krylya Sovetov/RUS), Bradley Carnell (Karlsruhe/GER), Bevan Fransman (Maccabi Netanya/ISR), Bongani Khumalo (SuperSport Utd), Innocent Mdledle (Orlando Pirates), Bryce Moon (Panathinaikos/GRE), Nasief Morris (Recreativo de Huelva/ESP)

Midfielders:
Thulasizwe Mbuyane, Teko Modise and Lebogang Mothibantwa (all Orlando Pirates), Lance Davids (Djurgårdens/SWE), Kagiso Dikgacoi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Surprise Moriri (Mamelodi Sundowns) Siyabonga Nkosi (Arminia Bielefeld/GER), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan/RUS), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs), Lefa Tsutsulupa (Moroka Swallows)

Strikers:
Benni McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers/ENG), Subusiso Zuma (Mamelodi Sundowns)

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in