CAF Champions League 2006 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 00:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
CAF Champions League 2006

The 10th CAF Champions League 2006

The premier club championship in Africa commenced in 1997, succeeding the African Cup of Champions Clubs (1964-96). It is open to all CAF-affiliated National League Champions and the Cup holder.

The competition comprises a maximum of 64 teams with 12 countries also entering the runner-up of their league championship. Selection of the 12 countries is based on those with the best results in the clubs competitions in the previous five years.

The last eight teams are divided into two groups with the group winners and runners-up qualifying for the semi-finals.

The 8 teams who are knocked out from the Last 16 stage of the Champions League are then integrated into the Confederation Cup and play, in a direct elimination round after a drawing of lots, against the last eight in the Confederation Cup.

This is how the Final Group Round is looking like at the moment:

Final Group Round

Group A

Round 1
15 Jul CS Sfaxien 1-0 Al Ahly
16 Jul JS Kabylie 1-0 Asante Kotoko

Round 2
29 Jul Asante Kotoko 4-2 CS Sfaxien
29 Jul Al Ahly 2-0 JS Kabylie

Round 3
13 Aug JS Kabylie 0-1 CS Sfaxien
13 Aug Asante Kotoko 0-0 Al Ahly

Group A Table
1.CS Sfaxien (Tunisia) ....3G 2W 0D 1L 4-4 6P
2.Asante Kotoko (Ghana) 3G 1W 1D 1L 4-3 4P
3.Al Ahly (Egypt) ...........3G 1W 1D 1L 2-1 4P
4.JS Kabylie (Algeria) .....3G 1W 0D 2L 1-3 3P

Next round:
25 Aug Al Ahly v Asante Kotoko
26 Aug CS Sfaxien v JS Kabylie

Group B

Round 1
16 Jul Hearts of Oak 0-2 Enyimba
18 Jul Orlando Pirates 1-1 ASEC Abidjan

Round 2
30 Jul ASEC Abidjan 3-0 Hearts of Oak
30 Jul Enyimba 1-1 Orlando Pirates

Round 3
12 Aug Orlando Pirates 0-0 Hearts of Oak
13 Aug ASEC Abidjan 3-0 Enyimba

Group B Table
1.ASEC Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire) ..3G 2W 1D 0L 7-1 7P
2.Enyimba (Nigeria) .................3G 2W 1D 1L 3-4 4P
3.Orlando Pirates (South Africa) 3G 0W 3D 0L 2-2 3P
4.Hearts of Oak (Ghana) ..........3G 0W 1D 2L 0-5 1P

Next round:
26 Aug Hearts of Oak v Orlando Pirates
27 Aug Enyimba v ASEC Abidjan

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2006, 15:31
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Nice opening post Filipe. I wish there would be more images available from those games. With a bit of luck the only thing that is shown is the final.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 03:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Al Ahly | F.C. Internazionale | AZ
I reccomend www.mtnfootball.com , excellent site.

ما أخذ بالقوة لا يسترد إلا بالقوة
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

now thats three rants lol

i love u bro. yr good people

Juventus were relegated to Serie B along with their reputation.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46733

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 05:58
Rising Star

Well there's lots of coverage on the individual websites of the teams. I mean for example Al Ahly has 4-5 websites plus a couple Egyptian websites that has stuff related to them. CS Sfax as well has its own site plus Tunisie-Foot. JSK same thing with its own site and DZFoot. I'm sure there's tons of stuff on all those sites.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 18:44
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarks
Well there's lots of coverage on the individual websites of the teams. I mean for example Al Ahly has 4-5 websites plus a couple Egyptian websites that has stuff related to them. CS Sfax as well has its own site plus Tunisie-Foot. JSK same thing with its own site and DZFoot. I'm sure there's tons of stuff on all those sites.
Yeah, but I meant live coverage or summaries actually.

Thanks anyway for your tips.

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 02:57
Rising Star

Ahhhh ... well if you have SopCast (which can be downloaded for free) some of the games are broadcasted on a channel called ESS-Power TV or something like that. Its set up by the fans of Tunisian side Etoile Du Sahel so they play all the Group B games plus CS Sfax games in Group A. So you can watch 3 out of 4 games every round.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 10:03
Legend

Quote:
Ahhhh ... well if you have SopCast (which can be downloaded for free) some of the games are broadcasted on a channel called ESS-Power TV or something like that. Its set up by the fans of Tunisian side Etoile Du Sahel so they play all the Group B games plus CS Sfax games in Group A. So you can watch 3 out of 4 games every round.
What is this SopCast? Is it easy to work with? Doesn't it harm my computer or infect it with some kind of spyware rubbish?

I might d/l it then.

post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 16:45
Rising Star

Its like PPStream and PPLive and TVU Player and all these knew programs that play TV channels mostly from Asia (now they're expanding the channel list). I've been using different ones for a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I dont think it harms the computer (haven't heard anyone complain) and most are easy use (the only hard ones are the ones that are in Chinese but there are even ways around that). I definitely suggest you get it and get PPStream as well. You can watch so much football, its amazing. Right now I'm watching Chelsea-Man City and the Man United-Fulham was on as well in the morning.
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 17:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Its like PPStream and PPLive and TVU Player and all these knew programs that play TV channels mostly from Asia (now they're expanding the channel list). I've been using different ones for a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I dont think it harms the computer (haven't heard anyone complain) and most are easy use (the only hard ones are the ones that are in Chinese but there are even ways around that). I definitely suggest you get it and get PPStream as well. You can watch so much football, its amazing. Right now I'm watching Chelsea-Man City and the Man United-Fulham was on as well in the morning.
do you happen to know what's the minimum connection speed necessary to watch those?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 20:29
Legend

Good stuff Tony. I'll give it a try in the near future.

post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2006, 01:41
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
do you happen to know what's the minimum connection speed necessary to watch those?
Not sure but I would avoid them if you're on dial-up. Its constant streaming video so a high-speed connection is a must I would think.
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2006, 14:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Here's the Final Group Round after last week's round of games:

Final Group Round

Group A

Round 4
25 Aug: Al Ahly 4-0 Asante Kotoko
26 Aug: CS Sfaxien 2-0 JS Kabylie

Group A Table
1. CS Sfaxien (Tunisia) .....4G 3W 0D 1L 6-4 9P
2. Al Ahly (Egypt) ............4G 2W 1D 1L 6-1 7P
2. Asante Kotoko (Ghana) ..4G 1W 1D 2L 4-7 4P
4. JS Kabylie (Algeria) ........4G 1W 0D 3L 1-5 3P

Next round:
9 Sep: Asante Kotoko - JS Kabylie
9 Sep: Al-Ahly - CS Sfaxien

Group B

Round 4
26 Aug: Hearts of Oak 0-1 Orlando Pirates
27 Aug: Enyimba 0-0 ASEC Abidjan

Group B Table
1. ASEC Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire) ....4G 2W 2D 0L 7-1 8P
2. Orlando Pirates (South Africa) ..4G 1W 3D 0L 3-2 6P
3. Enyimba (Nigeria) ...................4G 1W 2D 1L 3-4 5P
4. Hearts of Oak (Ghana) ............4G 0W 1D 3L 0-6 1P

Next round:
10 Sep: Enyimba - Hearts of Oak
10 Sep: ASEC Abidjan - Orlando Pirates

Nelson Mandela

Last edited by Filipe Reis; September 2nd, 2006 at 14:53.
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 02:09
Rising Star

I think its safe to say that CS Sfax and Al Ahly will qualify from Group A.

Group B is a little bit closer with 3 teams still in it (Hearts of Oak look like they're out as well). However, with Enyimba hosting Hearts and ASEC hosting Orlando Pirates, I'm guessing that ASEC will assure their qualification and the last round of games will determine who goes through between Enyimba and Orlando.
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 04:01
Rising Star

Both Group A games will be played tomorrow. I'm not even sure what to expect in terms of results but I think both home teams will win.
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 19:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Duah scores twice as Kotoko beat Kabylie 2-1
Reuters in Obuasi

Ghana international Nana Arhin Duah scored twice as Asante Kotoko beat JS Kabylie 2-1 on Saturday to keep alive their hopes of a place in the African Champions League semi-finals.

Kotoko came back after conceding a third-minute goal to Hamza Yacef, only the second scored by the Algerians in the group phase of the competition.

Defeat for Kabylie ended their hopes of progress to the final four, although they did have several good opportunities to come away with a rare away win from the group A match.

Yacef's slight touch to a cross from Nassim Hamlaoui looped over the Kotoko goalkeeper Eric Nii Bah, who had misjudged his timing off the goal line, as the small home crowd were silenced early on.

Arhin Duah served notice of his potential with a volley in front of goal which JS Kabylie's Algeria international goalkeeper Lounes Gaouaoui brilliantly turned around for a corner in the 35th minute.

But four minutes later, an expertly-taken free kick from Arhin Duah, delivered from just outside JSK's penalty area, curled into the top corner giving Gaouaoui no chance.

Kotoko's captain Edmund Owusu-Ansah went wide with a good chance just after the break and a minute later Cheikh Oumar Dabo's diving header almost restored JSK's lead.

Yacef then ballooned a shot over the top after Dabo had drawn the Kotoko keeper off his line and played the ball back into the path of his team mate.

Arhin Duah made sure of the three points as he swivelled and punished a defensive error from close in after the Algerian visitors had failed to clear a cross from substitute Aziz Ansah.

Kotoko play their final match away at CS Sfaxien of Tunisia next Sunday. JS Kabylie host holders Al Ahli of Egypt in their last Group A game, also next Sunday.

Nelson Mandela
post #16 of 126 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2006, 22:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Holders Al Ahli into African Champions League semi-final
Reuters in Cairo

Holders Al Ahli of Egypt became the first team to book a place in the African Champions League semi-finals after holding on for a 2-1 win over CS Sfaxien of Tunisia in Cairo on Saturday.

The win took Al Ahli to 10 points at the top of the Group A standings and still left the Tunisians needing a single point to join them in the final four.

It proved an emotive night for Al Ahli, playing their first game since the death of Egyptian international Mohamed Abdelwahab on their training ground nine days ago.

There were tears after Mohamed Aboutrika opened the scoring in the 29th minute.

Angola international Flavio headed home a cross from Osama Hosni which allowed Al Ahli to double their lead 10 minutes later.

Sfaxien reduced the deficit five minutes from time and the Tunisians almost snatched a draw in stoppage time.

Sfaxien need just one point from their last Group A match at home to Asante Kotoko of Ghana next Sunday.

Earlier on Saturday, Kotoko had kept themselves in contention with a 2-1 home win over JS Kabylie of Algeria, the bottom-placed team in the group.

Kotoko were forced to come from behind after conceding a third minute goal but two strikes from Ghana international Nana Arhin Duah ensured the win.

On Sunday, ASEC Abidjan of the Ivory Coast can make sure of top spot in Group B, and a semi-finals place, if they win at home to South Africa's Orlando Pirates.

Nelson Mandela
post #17 of 126 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2006, 19:47
Star Player

Teams: North London Reds
Where is this information taken from? Because I want to know which Senegalese teams are in the preliminary rounds.
post #18 of 126 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2006, 22:32 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

These are the scores and tables of the Final Group Round after this weekend's matches:

Final Group Round

Group A

Round 5
9 Sep: Asante Kotoko 2-1 JS Kabylie
9 Sep: Al-Ahly 2-1 CS Sfaxien

Group A Table
1. Al Ahly (Egypt) ...........5G 3W 1D 1L 8-2 10P Qualified for Semis
2. CS Sfaxien (Tunisia) .....5G 3W 0D 2L 7-6 9P
3. Asante Kotoko (Ghana) ..5G 2W 1D 2L 6-8 7P
4. JS Kabylie (Algeria) ........5G 1W 0D 4L 2-7 3P

Next round:
17 Sep: JS Kabylie - Al-Ahly
17 Sep: CS Sfaxien - Asante Kotoko

Group B

Round 5
10 Sep: Enyimba 1-0 Hearts of Oak
10 Sep: ASEC Abidjan 4-0 Orlando Pirates

Group B Table
1. ASEC Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire) ....5G 3W 2D 0L 11-1 11P Qualified for Semis
2. Enyimba (Nigeria) ...................5G 2W 2D 1L 4-4 8P
3. Orlando Pirates (South Africa) ..5G 1W 3D 1L 3-6 6P
4. Hearts of Oak (Ghana) ............5G 0W 1D 4L 0-7 1P

Next round:
16 Sep: Hearts of Oak - ASEC Abidjan
16 Sep: Orlando Pirates - Enyimba

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 126 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2006, 22:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

As expected before this weekend's games Al-Ahly in Group A and ASEC Abidjan in Group B won their matches and qualified for the Semi-finals.

Next weekend the last round will decide the other two spots ad things look different in both groups.

In Group A the Tunisian side of CS Sfaxien will go through if they win or draw against the Ghanaians of Asante Kotoko at home, but if the visitors win they will be the ones to go through.

In Group B the South Africans of Orlando Pirates will have to forget about today's crushing defeat in Côte d'Ivoire against ASEC and win the game against the Nigerians of Enyimba or else it will be the visiting team to play the semi-final match.

My prediction: Sfaxien and Enyimba to go through.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 126 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2006, 23:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarnino
Where is this information taken from? Because I want to know which Senegalese teams are in the preliminary rounds.
The two Senegalese sides that participated in this year's Champions League were Port Autonome and Diaraf Dakar.

These were their results:

Round 1
Port Autonome beat AS Douanes (Togo) 0-0 (away) and 3-2 (home)
Diaraf Dakar beat LPRC POilers (Liberia) 0-0 (away) and 3-2 (home)

Round 2
Port Autonome beat USM Alger (Algeria) 2-1 (home) and 2-3 (away)
Diaraf Dakar lost to Enyimba (Nigeria) 0-0 (home) and 0-2 (away)

Round 3
Port Autonome lost to ASEC Abidjan (Côte d'Ivoire) 1-0 (home) and 0-6 (away)

You can check these results at this link:http://www.sportscheduler.co.sz/caf_...ons_league.htm

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in