New Trend In North African Football - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2006, 05:09 Thread Starter
Rising Star

New Trend In North African Football

There's a new trend somewhat emerging in North African clubs (from Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia). With the large immigrant population of these countries in Europe, a lot of these clubs are now signing European-born players of North African origin. Do you think this will have a positive or negative impact on the game? It makes the leagues a lot more credible by having players who have been formed in some of the worlds best leagues. On the flip side, though, it takes away opportunities from local players. What are your thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2006, 11:51
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal,Inter
Intresting .. Its definatly Africas way of getting back whats hers ...

But Its a good thing I guess in some ways .. Not all African players can make it overseas and be stars ..theres a lot USEFULL/decent players out there and who dont get oppurtunities ..

So I gues as long as the players are worth it , then lets use them ..(if not naturalise them)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2006, 13:23
Rookie

The point here also is.... these players are from the countries in question often don't forget... they may well have relatives etc in the country so I am not even entirely sure if it should be viewed as 'taking away' opportunities from anyone. Mark Boussafa for example of Anderlecht was born in Holland but insisted on playing for Morocco... these are not exactly 'foreign' players... it is a bit more complex than that.

When Portugal had its colonies... many white players of Portuguese origin were born in say Angola... like Jose Aguas... they still represented Portugal with pride and identified with Portugal despite initially playing in the Angolan/Mozambique league.. I know this concept is complicated by the fact at that time there were not really any national teams for Angola/Mozambique but it should help illustrate my point.

Someone born to parents of one country in a different country is not classically a 'foreigner' and will largely not be treated as such especially when it comes to good footballers!!!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:36
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
I think it is a good trend, as long as those players add something to the African leagues. If not, they do take away opportunities indeed from the locals. What worries me though, is the fact that players who move from European to African leagues, might not be good enough to play in the European leagues and are therefore second rate --> not a great addition to the African leagues.

Do you have examples Tony?

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2006, 14:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Well my team USM Alger has recently signed two French-Algerian players who played in Ligue 2: Malek Ait-Alia (Laval) and Kamel Ramdani (Gueugnon). MC Alger last year signed Ismael Bouzid (who played at FC Metz) and Fodil Hadjadj (FC Nantes). Bouzid has now left to play with FC Kaiserslautern. ES Setif last year signed Karim Benounes (who was formed at Lille before playing with Olstykke in Denmark). After a season in Algeria he's now left to play in Portugal with Gil Vicente. Same thing in Tunisia as well. Esperence signed Wissem El Bekri from Ligue 2 club Chateauroux. Club Africain signed French-Algerian Foued Bouguerra from FC Nantes and French-Tunisian Helmi Loussaief from Monaco's junior ranks. I'm sure there's more examples in Tunisia and Morocco as well.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2006, 17:37
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Alright, quite a few examples I see. How do you feel about it, since it has happened at your own team as well?

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2006, 18:59 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I think in the short-term its a good solution for the clubs. They get good players that have had proper professional training at major clubs. In the long term I dont think it will help the clubs or the domestic league because teams could rely on it too much and neglect their own junior ranks. Let's face it, the best way to advance a club is from the bottom up, meaning you have to invest in the junior players and you have to form players capable of cracking the first team in the future. Also, its not cheap to get some of these players since they're used to playing in Europe and getting paid more money, so it could put a lot of teams in the red. We'll see how it works out though. Most of the players they've gotten in the past were Div 3 and Div 4 players who would last 1-2 seasons max.

PS. I just heard today that Wydad Casablanca have signed a French-Algerian player that played with FC Metz.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2006, 00:52
Rising Star

Teams: JS Kabylia, Tottenham Hotspur
I don't agree at all Tony. These players add absolutely bugger all to the local game. The few that have taken the plunge in Algeria have shown they are not up to even the lowly Algerian-league standards.

I do concur on other points. What we need is a bottom-up approach to developing the game from junior level. The coaches and especially club chairmen in Algeria have ruined the game for years. I mean youth academy and development are alien concepts. What we're left with is this trend towards paying hefty prices for the services of established players - more a case of "seasoned players - and these foreign imports from insgnificant French hamlets languishing in the 5th tier of their league.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 08:34
Premier Player

Teams: Arsenal,Inter
well if U put it that way , then it really is short term solution and surely will harm grassroots developemnt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in