Foreign coaches for African NTs - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 16:57 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Foreign coaches for African NTs

Kenya - Bernard Lama
Cameroun - Franco Baresi + Angelo Colombo (this dude was the coach of an U-11 team, I kid you not!!!!)

WTF. Both are surprising as well as shocking. KFF could not find a capable Kenyan to handle it's NT and went to an unproven former France GK.
Cameroun - the less said the better. Winfried Schaeffer, Artur Jorge and now this!!!!

And now the BBC reports that Zambia is looking for a "foreign coach" with the departure of Kalusha Bwalya.
Ghana is also looking for a coach after Duya's exit. I am scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 22:11
Rising Star

Carlos Alberto Parreira has been offered the South African job.

Is Nigeria still looking for a manager?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 12:30
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
No, Nigeria is still with Augustine Eguavoen. Who is not a bad manager in my opinion. He should at least get the chance until the next African Nations Cup and then we still have 2 years to change coaches before the world cup. Stephen Keshi comes to mind then.

Those 2 in Kwame's message are really surprising indeed. I was shocked to read it actually. I'm very dissapointed actually in Cameroun. The indomitable lions are supposed to be the top team of Africa and then they go with an unproven newcomer like Baresi. No offense to him, great legacy as a player but for a nation like Cameroun you would expect a top name.

Lama - Kenya, looks surprising too and is basically the same story as Cameroun. The only difference is that Kenya is not a top side. They can afford to take a shot in the dark with an unproven coach. If they qualify for a big tournament it is only a positive surprise. I saw an interview with Lama and he looks pretty motivated and he aims high. He wants Kenya to play at the next WC.

Parreira should stay home imo. He has done weakly with Brazil during the last WC. Not only did they go out way too early, but they were also playing very weakly. They can get a better coach. Maybe Hiddink after he has played Euro 2008 with Russia..

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 10:09
Legend

German coach Otto Pfister has renewed his contract for 2 years more as Togo coach. :frown:

Egypt coach Hassan Shehata has also renewed his contract for 2 more years.

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 10:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince-O
Parreira should stay home imo. He has done weakly with Brazil during the last WC. Not only did they go out way too early, but they were also playing very weakly. They can get a better coach. Maybe Hiddink after he has played Euro 2008 with Russia..
I think Parreira is not a bad choice and although he was one of the main responsibles for the bad run of Brazil at this World Cup there is a huge difference between what is expected from a coach of "O Escrete canarinho" or the one of a team like South Africa.
Hiddink is over-rated and that will be proven when you see what will happen to Russia in the qualifiers for Euro 2008.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Nelson Mandela
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 11:51
Rookie

Teams: Senegal NT, France NT
Hiring foriegn coaches sends out the wrong message to young aspiring local coaches.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2006, 15:17
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
I think Parreira is not a bad choice and although he was one of the main responsibles for the bad run of Brazil at this World Cup there is a huge difference between what is expected from a coach of "O Escrete canarinho" or the one of a team like South Africa.
Well, the expectancy will be huge in 2010. South Africa should at least make it past the group stage and a QF would be massive. The host nation always has it all to prove. I think that expectancies for all African countries must be higher in our home tournament in 2010. I think that the coming WC will be the one Africa needs to narrow the gap to Europe and South America.

Quote:
Hiddink is over-rated and that will be proven when you see what will happen to Russia in the qualifiers for Euro 2008.
No way he is overrated imo. He has done great things in Korea and Australia, while he made PSV the dominant force in the Dutch league again. This man is a great peoples-manager and he always manages to get the maximum out of everybody. I think that's why he's very succesful.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2006, 01:37
Rising Star

This happened a few months ago, but Gabon are now managed by Alain Giresse, who replaced none other than the great Jairzinho.

I guess Pele was unavailable?
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old July 28th, 2006, 15:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Well, the expectancy will be huge in 2010. South Africa should at least make it past the group stage and a QF would be massive. The host nation always has it all to prove. I think that expectancies for all African countries must be higher in our home tournament in 2010. I think that the coming WC will be the one Africa needs to narrow the gap to Europe and South America.
Yes, I am very much aware of the high expectations that South Africans have regarding their NT and especially when they will be organising the whole thing but that doesn't mean that people are demanding SA to reach the semis or even the QFs.
I believe, and I wish, because I am a true fan of African football, that African countries will do well in the coming World Cup but the gap between Africa and Europe/South America cannot be narrowed just because the World Cup will be in African soil.
There is a lot of work to be done and to be honest it is not by having low rate unemployed European managers taking care of your NTs that the gap will be less wide.

Quote:
No way he is overrated imo. He has done great things in Korea and Australia, while he made PSV the dominant force in the Dutch league again. This man is a great peoples-manager and he always manages to get the maximum out of everybody. I think that's why he's very succesful.
I don't deny that he is a good manager but I just think people give him more credit than what he really deserves. We better not talk about the way South Korea reached those semis 4 years ago because there is no need for it now but I feel that it's not because of his magic fingers that Australia did so well in this WC.
Besides he cheats with the taxes so he can't be trusted.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Nelson Mandela
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2006, 12:31
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe Reis
Yes, I am very much aware of the high expectations that South Africans have regarding their NT and especially when they will be organising the whole thing but that doesn't mean that people are demanding SA to reach the semis or even the QFs.
I believe, and I wish, because I am a true fan of African football, that African countries will do well in the coming World Cup but the gap between Africa and Europe/South America cannot be narrowed just because the World Cup will be in African soil.
There is a lot of work to be done and to be honest it is not by having low rate unemployed European managers taking care of your NTs that the gap will be less wide.
You are right that because the WC is on African soil, the gap won't be narrowed immediately. But this fact might give African football a boost, and make FA's more eager to put in a good performance. This goes especially for South Africa. As the host nation, you always have the pressure on you and the backing of the crowd. I can't see SA reach the semis or something, but I think that the South African FA will take matters very seriously and will try to prepare to the fullest for the coming WC. That's why we can and should expect something from them.

Quote:
I don't deny that he is a good manager but I just think people give him more credit than what he really deserves. We better not talk about the way South Korea reached those semis 4 years ago because there is no need for it now but I feel that it's not because of his magic fingers that Australia did so well in this WC.
Besides he cheats with the taxes so he can't be trusted.
Well I think it is the fact that he brings the best out of players. He is a great peoples-manager and also he is tactically good. Maybe Korea was a bit lucky, but that does not take away that the players played their hearts out during that WC. And also Australia, I feel that Guus has given the country the last push towards professionalism and the players the last push towards believe in themselves. If it wasn't for a stupid dive by Grosso, the Aussies might have been in the QF!

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old August 15th, 2006, 12:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Parreira's South African mission hits trouble: reports
AFP
August 12, 2006

Rio de Janeiro (AFP) - South Africa's hopes of tempting Brazil's former World Cup winning coach Carlos Alberto Parreira to take over their national team have hit trouble, media reports claimed.

O Globo television said that negotiations have stalled over the exact nature of Parreira's reponsibilties.

"Carlos Alberto Parreira will not manage the South African team," reported the Panorama Deprtivo.

"The idea of South African officials was to take a coach to occupy the most important function - the technical organisation of the 2010 World Cup.

"The Brazilian will not sign a contract for such a post and will not go to Johannesburg as planned next week."

But O Globo added that the talks could restart if the South African Football Federation made a new proposal.

Sources have also said that Parreira has been linked to the coaching vacancy with the United States as well as with Brazilian club side Fluminense.

It was reported just two weeks ago that Parreira had agreed a deal to take charge of the 2010 World Cup hosts.

Parreira, who resigned as Brazil coach following the team's disappointing quarter-finals exit at the hands of France at the World Cup in Germany, is expected to be in Johannesburg in the next two weeks.

The veteran coach guided Brazil to glory at USA 94 and has coached Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia at other World Cups.

Nelson Mandela
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old August 17th, 2006, 03:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Parreira signs contract to coach South Africa
in Associated Press
August 16, 2006

Carlos Alberto Parreira officially accepted the coaching position for South Africa, which will host the 2010 World Cup.

Parreira, who resigned as Brazil's coach after the team's disappointing World Cup performance, signed a four-year contract Wednesday after final details were agreed with the South African Football Association.

Parreira, 63, will begin coaching the South Africans in February.

"I wanted to spend more time with my family and they understood that," Parreira said.

He will become the nation's 14th coach since it returned to international competition 14 years ago.

South Africa, the 1998 African Cup champion, qualified for the 1998 and 2002 World Cups, but finished third in its qualifying group for 2006, five points behind qualifier Ghana.

Parreira led Brazil to its fourth world title in the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Nelson Mandela
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 18:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Haan takes charge of Cameroon
AFP
August 18, 2006

Dutchman Arie Haan was named as the new coach of Cameroon charged with reviving the fortunes of the Indomitable Lions who failed to reach the World Cup finals.

Haan, 57, spent his playing career with Ajax Amsterdam, Anderlecht, Standard Liege and PSV Eindhoven and was capped 35 times.

The appointment of Haan was announced on national radio by sports minister Philippe Mbarga Mboa who added that Theo de Jong will be assistant coach with Jules Frederic Nyonga and Thomas Nkono also joining the coaching staff.

Former tennis player Yannick Noah was also added to the backroom staff as an advisor to the national team.

Haan takes over from Portugal's Artur Jorge who resigned in March, a month after Cameroon had been knocked out of the African Nations Cup at the semi-final stage.

Nelson Mandela
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 18:42
Legend

NOOOOOO!

Terrible coach if you ask me. Nothing special and always digging money in the third world. This is not good news.

EDIT: But what happened to Baresi/Colombo then?

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2006, 21:55
Star Player

Teams: North London Reds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diini
Hiring foriegn coaches sends out the wrong message to young aspiring local coaches.

You could say that. Personally I think it's a mix and match thing. Abdoulaye Sarr done a good job in January in the ANC 2006 but still didn't stay on as coach and we got a foreign coach. Personally Nationality or not it's the guy who can make the best team. If Only Metsu was still with the lions of Teranga...
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2006, 14:13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan
Carlos Alberto Parreira has been offered the South African job.

Is Nigeria still looking for a manager?
he failed with brazil who had better players, we are in for a disaster again SAFA just can't stop fuking us up
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2006, 15:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros
he failed with brazil who had better players, we are in for a disaster again SAFA just can't stop fuking us up
he failed with Brazil in 2006 but was World Champion in 1994...who's the real Parreira then?

Nelson Mandela
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2006, 15:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Former World Cup winner Kohler new Ivory Coast coach
Reuters

Former West Germany defender Juergen Kohler has been named Ivory Coast's new coach, charged with getting the team to the 2008 African Nations Cup finals, the Ivorian football federation said on Wednesday.

Kohler, who made 105 international appearances, winning the World Cup in 1990, succeeds Frenchman Henri Michel, who quit after taking the team to the World Cup finals in June.

Kohler, who has signed a two-year contract with the Elephants, was sacked as coach of MSV Duisburg in April.

Nelson Mandela
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2006, 15:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

German great Kohler turns down Ivory Coast job
AFP

West Germany's 1990 World Cup winner Jurgen Kohler has turned down the chance to become the new manager of the Ivory Coast.

Kohler, capped 105 times for his country, was approached about guiding the nation, who crashed out at the group stage at the World Cup, to the 2008 African Cup of Nations, but declined the offer.

"The Ivory Coast has better players than Bayern Munich but I have turned the offer down as I would rather work as a club coach. I need the daily involvement," Kohler said in Kicker magazine.

The 40-year-old Kohler is a free agent after being sacked by German side MSV Duisburg in April after less than four months in charge.

Nelson Mandela
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2006, 19:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Nigeria to seek foreign coach, must pay Eguavoen
Reuters in Lagos

Nigeria will seek a foreign coach for its national football team, but first it must pay nine months' salary owing to the present incumbent, the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) said on Tuesday.

Austin Eguavoen took over as coach of the Super Eagles last year, but has spent most of his tenure unpaid and unsure of his job amid a feud between the sports ministry and the NFA.

He took the team to third place in the African Nations Cup in Egypt in February, but they failed to qualify for this year's World Cup in Germany.

On Saturday, Nigeria beat Niger 2-0 in their first match of the qualifying round for the 2008 African Nations Cup in Ghana.

"The Minister of Sports has directed that a foreign coach should be sought," said NFA spokesman Robinson Okosun.

Eguavoen, who heard about the directive just before Saturday's match, said: "We are here today; we've not been paid for nine months and nobody is talking about it, but instead the country is talking about a foreign coach."

"This is our country. We are trying to salvage the situation and we haven't made noise about it, and some people are still not satisfied. It's a pity. We don't get encouraged in this way. Our salary is poor yet we are owed upward of nine months."

Okosun said the ministry and the NFA were now working better together since the head of the NFA was replaced last month, and that Eguavoen's salary would now be paid.

"We didn't have a board for nine months, but now the problems are over and we expect to move ahead," Okosun said.

Nelson Mandela

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in