This forum needs to be spiced up! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 09:51 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
This forum needs to be spiced up!

Dear fellow African football fans,

I've been thinking for a while why this forum is not very active and I actually can't figure it out. Looking around XT, there are quite a few Africans and African football fans. Also, a lot of non-Africans are interested in African football for several reasons including Africans playing in Europe. Still, this forum hardly gets 1 post a day. I'd love to see this changing, but I can't do it on my own of course.

How do you lot see this improving? I might have a few suggestions:

Maybe more country threads? Closing the Nigerian forum to get it back to the African forum? More active FM's? More polls? More topics and discussions based on news articles, like from the excellent BBC site?

Let me know what you lot think about it, because a great football continent like Africa, warrants a better forum too!

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 14:36
Rookie

Sure you are right, the forum needs to be resuscitated with African flavour. Where are the people? Let's come out and debate issues.
Lunga,in South Africa
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 14:38
Rookie

Get up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam and eve
Sure you are right, the forum needs to be resuscitated with African flavour. Where are the people? Let's come out and debate issues.
Lunga,in South Africa
Proudly South African

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2006, 15:25
Rising Star

Prince you are so right.
I joined and posted a lot on African footie. I found there was very little discussion, so I went elsewhere

The ANC was not hotly discussed here and the WC was even less so. We just need more people posting and things will get back to normal.

Merging the Naija forum with one would be a start. Come on guys, post!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:52
World Class Player

Ah.. the eternal problem of the African forum. You can try, but I doubt you'll succeed.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:27 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame_Toronto
Prince you are so right.
I joined and posted a lot on African footie. I found there was very little discussion, so I went elsewhere

The ANC was not hotly discussed here and the WC was even less so. We just need more people posting and things will get back to normal.

Merging the Naija forum with one would be a start. Come on guys, post!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the reply, I agree with what you say. If more people feel like me, why can't we start working on it then? There are many African football fans on XT as a few years ago imo. I noticed a few new South Africans here for instance.

Kwame, I agree that the Nigeria forum should be closed and that it should be merged with this one. There is hardly a reason not to do it imo. And I would like it if you would post more, since your posts are always very informative.

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:27 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabry
Ah.. the eternal problem of the African forum. You can try, but I doubt you'll succeed.
Why Sabry?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:34
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, Liverpool FC, Israeli NT
There are many African fans online, but most of them prefer to use internal forums. I frequent two very popular boards, Nigerian & Ghanian and the activity there is very big, they just rather post in their own forums so the potential exists you just need to find a way to attract users, like a new African football website (I'm pretty sure there used to be one here) connected with Xtratime.

"Stop and stare...I think I'm moving but I go nowhere...."

:dielaugh:Beitar Jerusalem:dielaugh:

- Israeli Double Winners! League and State Cup Winners 2007/2008!

- 2006/2007 League Champions!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2006, 22:14
Rising Star

at least the ANC qualifers begin soon enough in September
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 00:35
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince-O
Why Sabry?
There is no interest in generic African football. Everyone is just focused on their own teams/players, unlike Europe were rivalry even between clubs from different countries is rich.

You'll find separate forums for Nigerian soccer, Egyptian soccer, Moroccan soccer, Algerian soccer, etc.. But its hard enough to attact people to post about African soccer in general.

I tried for a few years. I created African-soccer.net (not sure if you ever visited it) which lasted for 2-3 years. It used to get 100 visitors a day on average, but that wasnt enough for the site to go on.

I created a forum there and we had a few good discussions, but most of the time people ended up fighting (I can't say it wasn't funny though) rather than discussing anything meaningful.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 02:57
Abz
African WC haha
International

Teams: The Arsenal
Well it may help if prince O you become the forum manager for African football. You are obviously passionate about it

Merging the 2 is a great idea.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 04:02
World Class Player

Teams: Internazionale
Agreed. I really would like to see this forum much more active because I have gained a soft spot and interest in the Ivory Coast because I admire a few of their players.

Aruna Dindane, Yaya Toure, Didier Zokora, Didier Drogba, Kolo Toure, all just so fantastic! Knowing more about the current and future of such a country that is french speaking (which I understand, talk, read) would be fantastic.

Nulla impossibile per questa Inter
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2006, 12:23 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabry
There is no interest in generic African football. Everyone is just focused on their own teams/players, unlike Europe were rivalry even between clubs from different countries is rich.

You'll find separate forums for Nigerian soccer, Egyptian soccer, Moroccan soccer, Algerian soccer, etc.. But its hard enough to attact people to post about African soccer in general.

I tried for a few years. I created African-soccer.net (not sure if you ever visited it) which lasted for 2-3 years. It used to get 100 visitors a day on average, but that wasnt enough for the site to go on.

I created a forum there and we had a few good discussions, but most of the time people ended up fighting (I can't say it wasn't funny though) rather than discussing anything meaningful.
Now you say it, I suddenly remember that website. I believe I visited it a few times, when I was just around at XT. I believe what you say is true, since you obviously have experience with it.

It would be nice here at XT though, to have just a bit more activity coming from the users that are already here. There are forums that only have 2 or 3 regulars, but are still pretty busy. We are maybe with 10 people already and most of us are openminded about all African teams, not just their own team.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2006, 15:28
Rising Star

I used to post here all the time but like most of you have now realized this place is pretty dead.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2006, 18:22 Thread Starter
Legend

So, you are more than welcome to give it another try.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2006, 19:01
Rising Star

Oh I'll be around, its just some forums are not really worth posting on and right now this board is one of them. When its just the same 4-5 posters posting all the time, there isn't much to discuss. Hopefully the upcoming season will be better.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:38 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarks
Oh I'll be around, its just some forums are not really worth posting on and right now this board is one of them. When its just the same 4-5 posters posting all the time, there isn't much to discuss. Hopefully the upcoming season will be better.
I see what you mean. Problem though is that I am unable to follow everything like some other posters here. I cannot follow African ChL for instance. The only thing I can get a hold on are performances by Africans in Europe actually.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2006, 00:56
Rising Star

Teams: JS Kabylia, Tottenham Hotspur
OK fellas, we're ready to - ahem - rock this place!

*packs bags ready to go on vacation*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in