Did you enjoy the ANC more than the WC? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 09:47 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
Did you enjoy the ANC more than the WC?

I'm interested in what you think about it.

During the ANC I witnessed some criticism on European (Dutch) websites about the tournament. The atmosphere was supposed to be dull, the teams lacked quality and the games were boring. Now I enjoyed the ANC very much. I've seen great games between the top countries, but also surprise packages like DR Congo who played freeflowing football. The atmosphere was alright too, although you cannot expect the amount of spectators as you see during the WC for obvious reasons. Especially the Egypt games were being played in an atmosphere you hardly see in Europe. All in all I enjoyed the tournament a lot.

The World Cup however was completely different. Although the fans were great, the football however was often below par. Many boring games, many tactical chess games and hardly any surprises. I get the impression that people will just rate World Cup and European Cup games over ANC games because of a biased European view, because a person in his right mind can never simply say that the ANC was weak and the WC was great. Both have its ups and downs imo.

What are your impressions on this matter? Which tournament did you enjoy more and why?

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 15:42
Rookie

Teams: Senegal NT, France NT
I was not able to watch most of the matches in the African Nations Cup however comparing the matches I watched from both tournament, I enjoyed the ANC more. There were some games in the WC that were really good but for the most part, the goal scoring was low and there was really nothing exciting that happened during the world.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2006, 18:31 Thread Starter
Legend

I agree that there were many non-exiting games at this WC.

Welcome to XT btw Diini. I hope to see you around often. And keep an eye on this forum

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 19:25
Rising Star

The refereering/cheating/diving in the WC ruined it for me.
Next time I hear someone complain about African refs

I was more excited about ANC games.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2006, 19:44 Thread Starter
Legend

Yeah, funnily enough the European refs made the biggest mistakes during this tournament. Enough with the argument that Africans and Asians should stay home.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2006, 13:24
Rookie

Teams: Barca
I'm a big fan of ANC, but WC is WC. And there were plenty of dull games at the ANC as well. No matter how much I like the African Cup of Nations, you just can't compare the quality here.

www.dailysoccer.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2006, 15:24
Rising Star

I told everyone I knew, the World Cup is boring. Teams are too conservative and players are hyped up way too much. The result is very dull football. Even the supporters are pretty boring when you consider the madness that you see at the African Cup. At the World Cup, I saw 2 games where flares were lit and the commentators were all over that and the organizers 'investigated' the events. I mean, come on, its flares for crying out loud. They want to take all the fun out of the World Cup, make it a family event ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in