Premier Player

African Nations Cup - [Group A]

Group Standings[P][W][D][L][GF][GA][GD][PTS]:

Egypt [3] - [2] - [1] - [0] - [6] - [1] - [+5] - [7]
I.Coast [3] - [2] - [0] - [1] - [4] - [4] - [0] - [6]
Morocco [3] - [0] - [2] - [1] - [0] - [1] - [-1] - [2]
Libya [3] - [0] - [1] - [2] - [1] - [5] - [-4] - [1]

Group Fixtures/Results:

1/20/2006 19:00 Egypt 3 - 0 Libya - Cairo Std.
17' Mido
22' Trieka
78' A.Hassan

1/21/2006 14:00 Morocco 0 - 1 I.Coast - Cairo Std.
38' Drogba

1/24/2006 17:15 Libya 1 - 2 I.Coast - Cairo Std.
10' Drogba
41' Khames
74' Y.Toure

1/24/2006 20:00 Egypt 0 - 0 Morocco - Cairo Std.

1/28/2006 19:00 Egypt 3 - 1 I.Coast - Cairo Std.
8' Motab
43' A.Kone
61' Trieka
70' Motab

1/28/2006 19:00 Libya 0 - 0 Morocco - Cairo Milit. Std.

Last edited by Ahlawy; January 29th, 2006 at 05:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 03:51 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Pharaohs Teach Libya A Lesson
Cairo - January 20, 2006

Egypt got their 2006 MTN Africa Cup of Nations campaign off to a flyer on Friday, thrashing ten-man Libya in front of a passionate home crowd at the Cairo international stadium.

The 3-0 final scoreline was an accurate reflection of Egypt’s dominance, the Pharaohs far superior to their North African rivals in all departments.

Hassan Shehata’s side attacked Libya from the first whistle and sent their fans into ecstasy with two goals in a five minute period midway through the first half.

On 17 minutes, Mohamed Abdelwahed’s cross was headed home by Tottenham Hotspur striker Ahmed ‘Mido’ Hossam, left unmarked at the far post.

Mohamed Barakat, Mohamed Aboutrika and Ahmed Hassan were in total control of the midfield battle, with Libya badly missing star player Tarek Tayeb.

And Egypt doubled their lead on 22 minutes when Mido flicked on and the impressive Amr Zaki was hauled down by Libyan defender Younes Shibani. Aboutrika stepped up and curled a glorious free kick past Libyan ‘keeper Luis De Agusitini.

Libya did have the odd chance, Shibani blasting a free kick just over and Omar Daoud forcing a good save from Esam Al Hadari.

But Egypt could also have been further ahead at the break, were it not for some woeful offside decisions from the match officials.

After the break, the Pharaohs took their feet off the gas, but were still able to add one more goal to their tally.

On 75 minutes, poor judgement by Agustini allowed Barakat to steal in behind him and the Libyan ‘keeper hauled sown the Al Ahly star in the area.

Referee Lassina Pare, who in general showed quite unbelievable leniency, had no option but to show Agustini a second yellow card.

Substitute ‘keeper Muftah Ghzalla saved Mido’s spot kick, but to his dismay, Ahmed Hassan slammed in the rebound.

Tayeb came on in the second half, but could do little to save Libya from their plight.

Egypt’s veteran striker Hossam Hassan, meanwhile, remained on the bench throughout the ninety minutes.

MTN Man of the Match: Mohamed Shawky (Egypt - Ahly)

mtnfootball.com

Last edited by Ahlawy; January 21st, 2006 at 04:04.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 07:01
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
I have wtached the first game, was a good one though Libya is not as really as they make themselves to seem! They are a joke to be honest and I expect them to be the cake walk for the rest of the group teams.

Abu Treka's goal was simply beautiful and Mido's header as well. Egypt has to develope to beat the rest of the teams of the group though.

Vamos Argentina!

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 13:02 Thread Starter
Premier Player

HT: Morocco 0 - 1 I.Coast
38' Drogba

Not the best of matches. Morocco wasted two huge opportunities through Hadji and Chammakh. IC seem to rely on fast counter attacks and they got a pk from one of them.

Stadium also very empty, mainly due to the game's timing.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 13:28
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Morocco are dominating play, but they look toothless. They're missing Zairi.

66th minute: 1-0

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 13:57
Legend

Really disappointing from Maghreb - they dominated, had more shots on goal and more corners but as HiJazzey said, they looked toothless. I was hoping for much more from them

Out beyond ideas
of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Rumi

All I possess in the presence of death
is pride and fury
Mahmoud Darwish
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 13:58
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
FT CIV 1-0 MOR

The Ivorians are very lucky, they were awful today, but Morocco were just impotent at the front.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 14:02 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Undeserevd 3 pts for IC. Played a more defensive game and relied fully on counters. No possession. Morocco very upsetting in the third half of the field. Some wasted chances but most attacks incomplete.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 14:06
International

i guess after this match its IC and either egypt or morocco who will advance to the next round

depends on egypt vs morocco game...the winner of this game will march on to the second round ( it seems ) as i dont think libya will do anything against IC or morocco

the next game will be so tough .....the only accepted result is a win isa

Summer wishlist [/U]
-CR/Kaka/Ribery
-Villa
-Xabi will go to Real Madrid
-Agger
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 14:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Drogba came off with an injury btw.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 15:59
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
I missed the game. I can only watch the first half of the DR Congo game if I am lucky. It is always very stressful to fit such an important tournament into your daily ritual isn't it.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 20:08 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Drogba Sees Elephants Home
Cairo - January 21, 2006

A cooly-taken if controversial first half penalty from captain Didier Drogba gave Cote D’Ivoire victory over Morocco in their MTN Africa Cup of Nations Group A clash at Cairo International Stadium on Saturday.

This was, in truth, an awful game, with few opportunities for either side, though the Atlas Lions will rue Youssef Hadji’s glaring miss just ten minutes before Drogba struck, and will feel they had enough play to get at least a point.

Both side’s looked lethargic from the start with build-up slow and ideas few.

The Ivoirans seemed to want to punt everything at Chelsea striker Drogba, a tactic which just didn’t work with the experienced Noureddine Naybet looking as assured as ever.

Drogba did nearly score, however, on 25 minutes, when Kanga Akale’s shot was parried by Morocco goalkeeper Tarek Jamouni.

Drogba headed the rebound towards goal, but Naybet cleared off the line.

Three minutes later, Morocco really should have scored when Hadji found himself with acres of space inside the Ivorian penalty area.

Inexplicably, however, he dragged his shot wide.

And on 38 minutes Cote D’Ivoire took the lead.

Nantes’ Emerse Fae, making his first start for his country, broke down the right and finally found a decent pass to release Drogba.

The powerful striker went down under the challenge of Hoalid Regragui.

The contact seemed minimal to say the least, but South African referee Jerome Damon pointed to the spot.

Drogba brushed himself off to power the spot kick into the corner of the net.

Marouane Chamakh did trouble Ivoiran ‘keeper Jean-Jacques Tizie with a header, but there was little else of note in the first half And the second half continued the tedium of the first.

Morocco got a series of dangerous crosses into the box, but no one ever looked like getting on the end of them.

Hadji did think momentarily he had scored on 73 minutes but the ‘goal’ was ruled out for offside.

Cote D’Ivoire seemed happy with their only goal and even pulled off Drogba on the hour mark.

Both sides, however, will surely have to improve drastically if they are to make a serious impact on the competition.

MTN Man of the Match: Jean-Jacques Tizie (I.Coast - Taraji)

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 21:40
World Class Player

Teams: FC Barcelona
Didn't see the game but i must say that i'm a bit disappointed after hearing that we missed 2 huge opportunities.
Now it's more complicated but the equation is simple: we must beat Egypt and Lybia. Any slip up automatically means being out from the competition
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 21:51
International

Quote:
Now it's more complicated but the equation is simple: we must beat Egypt and Lybia. Any slip up automatically means being out from the competition
to beat egypt in cairo stadium...infront of the huge crowd attending the game is a hard task to achieve but ofcourse possible + a draw still gives u a chance ....maybe we lose to cotdivoire which i doubt ...for libya u'll surley isa beat them

as for the morocco vs cotdivoire thing ...the game was utterly awful and boring .besides, morocco were better ....yusef hadji missed 2 real goals ...cotdivoire display wasnt that gr8 ....cameroon can beat them with ease imo

not to mention the fact , that IC's penalty isnt correct ....drogba fell inside the penalty area but the foul was made before the penalty area's line

Summer wishlist [/U]
-CR/Kaka/Ribery
-Villa
-Xabi will go to Real Madrid
-Agger

Last edited by Raulito; January 21st, 2006 at 21:59.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 22:03
Amr
Rising Star

Well, during WC 2002 Qualifications, we had Morocco, and then Cairo stadium usually held 100 000 fans, however we still failed to beat Morocco then, although wasting alot of chances.

We gotta hope the stadium is gonne be full again on Tuesday and we grab the 3 points and secure qualification before facing IC
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 23:25
World Class Player

IC's penalty was a shame.. No where near inside the box.

The game in itself was very boring. I expected something more entertaining but a fairer result should have been 0-0.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2006, 23:44 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Agree. The worst game out of the 4 so far eventhough one would have thought it to be the most exciting. With this performance shwon by both teams, I think an Egyptian side pumped up by home crowd can top the group.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2006, 00:06
DAR
Premier Player

Teams: Morocco NT, Dutch NT, Juventus
from what i've seen in the IC/morocco match was this:

A-the penalty was absolutely bogus we got screwed by the ref big time

B-IC can't expect to cause a sensation in the WC playing like that...

as for the african contingent going to germany this summer sadly it won't be good for africa...angola aren't good enough to compete with iran, mexico, or portugal, and the togolese team is already split and this rift between keshi and adebayor could extend to germany of the bad blood continues

this african cup of nations should provide a clear picture for the audience and other coaches involved in the world cup regarding the calibur of certain african teams whom they will compete with..sadly i think only tunisia can compete out of th ebunch this time around

Marouane Chamakh is the truth..hold it down in bordeaux
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:02
World Class Player

Teams: FC Barcelona
I consider Tunisia as an average team. Anyone who watched them during the WCQ know that they are nothing special.
In NO WAY they're going to do something in the WC.Maybe they can beat SA but Spain and Ukraine are out of their reach.

As for our next game i'm rather sceptical.To beat Egypt in their own turf in front of a huge crowd would a miracle.
Hopefully we'll beat Egypt then Egypt beat IC and both Morocco and Egypt go through to the next round. It would the ideal ( no very realistic though)
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:30 Thread Starter
Premier Player

That would make the standings 6 pts for each of the three and zero for Libya.

As akward as it is, this is very possible to happen. Basically the next match-up day for this group (tuesday) will decide it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in