The African Nations Cup - Egypt 2006 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 04:58 Thread Starter
Premier Player

The African Nations Cup - Egypt 2006

Ok im starting to feel the tense already with 24 days until kick-off. Big tournament this year no doubt, alot of big names up in there playing for the trophy. Those who missed out on Germany 2006 like Cameroon, Morocco, Nigeria, and Senegal are surely gonna play like beasts to make-up. Those new comers like Angola, Togo, IC, and re-awakening Ghana are surely gonna have lots to prove and lots to play for. Of course add to that hosts Egypt, and holders Tunisia, gives us a very big competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 15:19
Rising Star

I expect this tournament to be the best yet. I count only 3 minnows (Guinea, Zimbabwe and Libya). The rest have a shot at the title. I am still tipping Egypt to win it: new coach, home advantage, hopefully all the players are fit and with Mido in fine form, they will be very hard to beat.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 19:04
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
I think Ghana or Ivory Coast have the strongest squad, but i dont no if they are going to call up their full squad or use this tournament as a warm up for the world cup and therfore try out some new faces.

I do know Yakubu has turned down Nigeria , but until i see the squad selections i have no idea who will win the competition because i dont no if the likes of Essien and Drogba are going to turn up, as this tournament is played at a very time in the football season

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 19:28
International

I know Etoo is playing for Cameroon, he confirmed that I think I read somewhere. It is gonna be a good tournament and I will probably watch all off the big games on Eurosport. I think Ivory Coast will do well in this one, aswell s Egypt and Perhaps Tunisia. Nigeria and Cameroon will also be considered up there among the favourites and will try to revenge their failure for not qualifying to the World Cup. Does anyone have a full list of the teams that have qualified in the African Nations Cup?
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 22:06 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Group A:
Egypt
Morocco
Libya
Ivory Coast

Group B:
Cameroon
Togo
Angola
Congo

Group C:
Tunisia
South Africa
Zambia
Guinea

Group D:
Nigeria
Zimbabwe
Senegal
Ghana

No doubt, groups A and D are on fire. Some big games were gonna be watching.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2005, 22:09 Thread Starter
Premier Player

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 03:37
International

Group B will be interesting aswell. Togo and Angola, the two african teams that have qualified to the WC for the first time, will have to prove themselves against the giants Cameroon who did not manage to do it...

And yeah I have to concur with you on the fact that Group A and D looks like the hardest ones. Group C shoul be a piece of cake for the favourites...Another team that might do well in this tournament is Tunisia..
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 12:48
gOD
Legend

When are the teams expected to show their selection?
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 13:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Al Ahly | F.C. Internazionale | AZ
Senegal name Nations Cup squad

Senegal coaches Abdoulaye Sarr and Amara Traore have picked their final squad for next year's African Nations Cup finals.

Bolton midfielder Khalilou Fadiga and defender Salif Diao, on loan at Portsmouth from Liverpool, are the notable absentees from the squad.

Fadiga, who has not featured at the Nations Cup since 2002, missed the 2004 tournament as a result of health problems.

Senegalese Football Federation spokesman Mbacke Seck linked Fadiga's exclusion to his failure to secure a regular top-level spot with his English club.

Both Diao and Pape Malick Diop, with French second division side Lorient, were omitted due to injury.

Senegal, in Group D with Nigeria and Ghana, play their opening match against Zimbabwe on 23 January in Port Said.

Squad

Goalkeepers: Tony Mario Sylva (Lille, France), Pape Mamadou Diouf (Jeanne d'Arc), Cheikh Tidiane Ndiaye (Rennes, France)

Defenders: Ferdinand Coly (Parma, Italy), Lamine Diatta (Lyon, France), Souleymane Diawara (Sochaux, France), Habib Beye (Marseille, France), Omar Daf (Sochaux, France), Pape Malickou Diakhate (Nancy, France), Nguirane Ndaw (Sochaux, France) Boukhary Dramé (Paris Saint Germain, France)

Midfielders: Amdy Moustapha Faye (Newcastle, England), Abdoulaye Diagne Faye (Bolton, England), Pape Bouba Diop (Fulham, England), Dino Djiba (Metz, France), Issa Ba (Chateauroux, France)

Strikers: Diomansy Camara (West Bromwich Albion, England), Frederic Mendy (Saint Etienne, France), Rahmane Barry (Lorient, France), El Hadji Diouf (Bolton, England), Henri Camara (Wigan,England), Mamadou Niang (Marseille, France), Souleymane Camara (Nice, France)

bbc

ما أخذ بالقوة لا يسترد إلا بالقوة
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

now thats three rants lol

i love u bro. yr good people

Juventus were relegated to Serie B along with their reputation.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46733
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2005, 20:36 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Pierre Issa back for South Africa

South Africa's new coach Ted Dumitru dropped a bombshell on Thursday when naming his preliminary squad for the upcoming African Nations Cup.

30-year-old Pierre Issa was a surprise choice in a second list that Dumitru has named since he took over from Stuart Baxter last month.

The defender has not played any matches this season.

Dumitru cut his original selection and added Issa and the Kaizer Chiefs goalkeeper Emile Baron, whose last appearance for the country was in a 4-0 defeat by Nigeria at the last Nations Cup finals in Tunisia in 2004.

Baron has been in outstanding form for Kaizer Chiefs in recent weeks after spending much of the year sidelined with a shoulder injury.

But it was the inclusion of Issa which has dumbfounded observers as he has not played for South Africa since the 2002 World Cup finals.

He moved to Olympic Beirut in Lebanon after the tournament in South Korea on a free transfer from English club Watford and played at Ionikos in Greece for the first five months of this year.

He has since been transferred to OFI Crete but not featured for them this season.

Issa's inclusion comes at the expense of Nasief Morris, who is captain of the Greek side Panathinaikos and recently played in all of his side's UEFA Champions League matches.

Morris and the Borussia Dortmund winger Delron Buckley were the two notable omissions from the initial squad of 33 that Dumitru named late last month.

Dumitru will have to cut his squad to 23 players 10 days before the tournament starts on January 20.

South Africa play in Group C alongside defending champions Tunisia, Guinea and southern African rivals Zambia.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Emile Baron (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Ajax Cape Town), Calvin Marlin (SuperSport United), Avril Phadi (Jomo Cosmos)

Defenders: Tonic Chabalala (Orlando Pirates), Siboniso Gaxa (SuperSport United), Pierre Issa (OFI Crete, Greece), Ricardo Katza (SuperSport United), Mbulelo Mabizela (Valerenga, Norway), Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers, England), Jimmy Tau (Kaizer Chiefs)

Midfielders: Daine Klate (SuperSport United), Gift Leremi, Joseph Makhanya (both Orlando Pirates), Vuyo Mere, Benson Mhlongo (both Mamelodi Sundowns), Elrio Van Heerden (FC Copenhagen, Denmark), Benedict Vilakazi (Orlando Pirates), Papi Zothwane (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Sibusiso Zuma (Arminia Bielefeld, Germany)

Forwards: Benedict McCarthy (FC Porto, Portugal), Lebohang Mokoena (Orlando Pirates), Katlego Mphela (SuperSport United), Siyabonga Nomvete (Djurgardens, Sweden), Nkosinathi Nhleko (Viking Stavanger, Norway), Asanda Sishuba (Heusden-Zolder, Belgium)
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2005, 22:28
Rookie

Does anyone know if the BBC are going to have coverage as usual?
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2005, 07:09
International

I do not know about BBC, but Eurosport is sending from the tournament.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2006, 22:19
Premier Player

Teams: FC Thun 1898 - West Ham United FC
Does anyone know if Cameroon included Armand Deumi Tchani in their squad? If so I wish him good luck in the ANC!

Armand, le lion de Thoune!

Cheers
East Ender

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
- Confucius
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2006, 22:21 Thread Starter
Premier Player

I dont think Cameroon announced their final squad yet.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old January 4th, 2006, 15:53
Rising Star

Note to Mods:

Can you please sticky the schedule for the games for the ANC.

Please

This year's comp will be very interesting (you already knew that!!) and it'll be nice to see the sched up there ^^ rather than looking for it.

Thanks guys

Kwame...less than 100 posts but still being bossy!!
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2006, 18:52
Star Player

Teams: North London Reds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahlawy
Group A:
Egypt
Morocco
Libya
Ivory Coast

Group B:
Cameroon
Togo
Angola
Congo

Group C:
Tunisia
South Africa
Zambia
Guinea

Group D:
Nigeria
Zimbabwe
Senegal
Ghana

No doubt, groups A and D are on fire. Some big games were gonna be watching.
A I feel, is tighter than D I reckom its between Nigeria and Ghana, unfortunately I feel Senegal are going to be third placed :'( with Zimbabwe fourth.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2006, 16:46
World Class Player

Teams: FC Barcelona
Squad:

Goalkeepers:
1. Tarek Jarmouni
2. Nadir Lemyaghri
3. Mustapha Chadli

Defenders:
4. Noureddine Naybet
5. Abdeslam Ouaddou
6. Talal El Karkouri
7. Houcine Ouchla
8. Amine Erbati
9. Oualid Regragui
10. Badr El Kaddouri
11. Noureddine Kacemi

Midfielders:
12. Youssef Safri
13. Houssine Kharja
14. Hafid Abdessadek
15. Youssef Chippo
16. Mohamed Madih.
17. Mohammed El Yaggoubi
18. Jaouad Zairi

Attackers:
19. Marouane Chamakh
20. Hicham Aboucharouane
21. Ali Boussabon
22. Youssouf Hadji
23. Mohamed Armoumen

Hope we do well in this ANC
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2006, 17:54 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Egypt and Morocco qualifying from this group would be perfect.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2006, 06:25
Rising Star

Teams: Morocco!!! & Real Madrid!!!
Gooo Morocco!!!! Always Les Lion De L'atlas!!!!!!!!!!!
Marooooooooooc Marocc Hoooo Hhooooo!!!!

!!!!!
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2006, 07:56
Rising Star

games im looking forward to..
nigeria v senegal
SA v tunisia
Egypt v moroco
camaroon v togo

ill be heading down to my local pub pleading to keep on the football all day,shall be a great cup this year..great to see most big name players being released to!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in