Xtratime Community banner

Baltic states players in Europe

19K views 172 replies 16 participants last post by  HajdukSplit 
#1 ·
I know we had this thread already, but it is old and not up to date. And a bit redundant with the transfers thread.

So i invite you to talk here about the main moves and players evolving and perform in decent (Yeah i know, define, decent) clubs and leagues, abroad.

Guess it will be pretty short.:neutral:

So for Latvija
Andris Vanins playing for FC Sion (Switzerland)
Deniss Ivanovs- Sivasspor (Turkey)
Kaspars Gorkšs - Queen's Park Rangers (England)
Māris Verpakovskis for Ergotelis (Greece )

#2 · (Edited)
Estonia:

Starters in decent clubs:

Joel Lindpere (New York Red Bulls)
Ragnar Klavan (AZ Alkmaar)
Sergei Pareiko (Wisla Krakow)
Raio Piiroja (Fredrikstad, Norwegian Premier League)
Sergei Zenjov (Karpaty Lviv, Ukraine Premier League)
Enar Jääger (Aalesunds FK, Norwegian Premier League)
Pavel Londak (Bucaspor, Turkish Premier League)

Backup players in decent clubs:

Tarmo Kink (Middlesborough)
Vjatšeslav Zahovaiko (Uniao de Leiria, Portuguese Premier League)
Sander Post (Aalesunds FK)

#3 ·
basically Lindpere is the only success story of Estonian football at club level, being selected Red Bulls MVP of last season ahead of players like Henry and Marquez.

Klavan can't complain too, he has been getting quite a lot of playing time at one of the strongest Eredivisie sides.

#4 ·
Hearts have lost most of their Lithuanians lately, Marius Žaliūkas is the captain though & they still have Evaldas Razulis on the books too. Later hasn't played since joining on loan in February, but Žaliūkas is an important player for the 3rd place SPL side.

#5 ·
That's quite extensive list of Baltic footballers in Polish League, if we consider this league as a decent.

Estonia:

Sergei Pareiko (Wisla Krakow)
Sander Puri (Korona Kielce)

Latvia:

Artjoms Rudnevs (Lech Poznan)
Sergejs Kozans (Lechia Gdansk)
Ivans Lukjanovs (Lechia Gdansk)
Aleksejs Visnakovs (Cracovia Krakow)
Jurijs Zigajevs (Widzew Lodz)
Deniss Rakels (Zaglebie Lubin)

Lithuania:

Andrius Skerla (Jagiellonia Bialystok)
Tadas Kijanskas (Jagiellonia Bialystok)
Vytautas Andriuskevicius (Lechia Gdansk)
Darvydas Sernas (Widzew Lodz)
Mindaugas Panka (Widzew Lodz)
Dominykas Galkevicius (Zaglebie Lubin)
Tadas Labukas (Arka Gdynia)

Especially Pareiko, Rudnevs, Skerla and Sernas are among the most distinctive footballers in this league on own positions.

#7 ·
Cauņa flourishing after landmark 2011
uefa.com
Latvian player of the year Aleksandrs Cauņa speaks to UEFA.com about a memorable first year at PFC CSKA Moskva, one he describes as the most successful of his career

At the beginning of 2011 Aleksandrs Cauņa's future was unclear.
Indeed the only thing of which the young winger was certain was that in order to develop as a player, he had to leave Skonto FC, the club where he had spent much of his fledgling career, and whom he had helped to the Latvian First Division title in 2010.

He took a risk by joining PFC CSKA Moskva on loan in February, but the gamble paid off and now the 23-year-old is reaping the rewards. As 2011 ebbs away, the recently named Latvian player of the year spoke to UEFA.com about a year in which he earned a permanent move to the 2005 UEFA Cup winners, equalled a Latvian record, and helped CSKA qualify for the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

"I have been comparing my current feelings to those I had when Latvia qualified for EURO 2004," the Daugavpils born player said of CSKA's progress through to the knockout stages of the Champions League. "I was watching those matches on TV and my emotions were unreal. Now I feel a part of them. This is my biggest success at club level and I would love to achieve something similar with the national team."

Cauņa attributes much of the emotion to the fact CSKA were heading out of Europe altogether before their final match against FC Internazionale Milano. "Before kick-off, we assumed that Lille or Trabzonspor would qualify and that we needed a win just to guarantee a place in the UEFA Europa League. I was presuming our campaign would end in disappointment," admitted Cauņa, whose 86th-minute corner provided CSKA's dramatic winner by Vasili Berezutski at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza. "In the end we made it to the knockout round, and I was on the pitch and provided an assist – so I think it was ideal."

It was a special moment for Cauņa, though such are the levels of expectation at CSKA that "only in Latvia have I realised that I did something special, as many people still congratulate me". In a nation as small as Latvia, people place value on every success, and in Cauņa, it seems, they have plenty to celebrate. The lively wide man was his country's top scorer in UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying with four goals, and his strike in October's 3-0 win against Trabzonspor AŞ made him only the second Latvian player to register in the UEFA Champions League. Such personal landmarks are nothing to be sniffed at, particularly at CSKA, where breaking into the team can be a daunting enough prospect.

While Cauņa has played in five UEFA Champions League matches, he has made 16 appearances in domestic competition and averaged only 28 minutes on the field per match. "My competitors are all internationals – Mark González from Chile, Zoran Tošić from Serbia – even Japan's Keisuke Honda can play left wing." However, Cauņa has played more often as the season has progressed, and is optimistic about his future in the Russian capital. "At our last meeting Leonid Slutski told us that those who do best in the winter training camps will start in the first XI. So I need to work hard, adapt more, and be more confident. I am yet to fully show my best at CSKA."

#8 ·
Valletta bring in goal-machine ČekulajevsPublished: Monday 27 February 2012, 9.24CET
Aleksandrs Čekulajevs, who scored 46 goals in Estonia last season, has signed for Maltese champions Valletta FC, saying: "I have come here with the sole ambition of winning trophies."

Latvian striker Aleksandrs Čekulajevs, who scored an extraordinary 46 goals in 2011 for Estonian side JK Trans Narva, has moved to Malta to join local champions Valletta FC.

The 26-year-old, who trails only Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in the ESM Golden Shoe rankings, was linked to clubs in Greece and Turkey in January, but has opted to go with Valletta, who are on target for a 21st domestic title this season. "I have come here with the ambition of winning trophies – the Premier League, the FA Trophy," said Čekulajevs. "Above all, I have come here to help Valletta advance further in the UEFA Champions League."

Always a powerhouse in Malta, Valletta have long been eager to prove their worth internationally, but have found it hard to battle their way through the qualifying stages of Europe's top club competition. At the turn of the year, they hired Naples-born former midfielder Antonio Esposito as their new technical director, with a special responsibility for foreign signings.

"I was very impressed with the professional set-up at Valletta," Esposito told UEFA.com. "I had talks with Valletta president Victor Sciriha and it was clear immediately that we could work together successfully."

Esposito and his assistant, countryman and former Pietà Hotspurs FC and Sliema Wanderers FC defender Mauro Di Lello, oversaw the move for Čekulajevs, with Sciriha telling UEFA.com: "Since we can field more foreign players in Europe [than we can in Malta], my focus is on getting high-ranked acquisitions for our main objective – advancing further in the most prestigious European competition: the UEFA Champions League."
@uefa.com

#20 ·
Henrik Ojamaa has been doing a terrific job at Motherwell this year, he's very popular with their fans. But it was rumoured last month that Lech Poznan were interested in signing him for €200,000

#26 ·
Wow that's bad defending at his last one. Nice to see he's still doing well, I remember Oper playing for Roda JC, he was quite a good striker for the Eredivisie back then.

I remember that game in 2001 too, was the first match in the new Tallinn stadium? You were really close to beat us back then, can't see it happen in March though.

I recently found out there's an Estonian player playing at the 3rd level in Belgium, Artjom Dmitrijev. That club he plays for (Turnhout) are bottom in the league and because of that their Egyptian over brought in about fifteen Egyptian players. In their last match there were ten Egyptians on the pitch, and one Estonian player :D.
You know him?

http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artjom_Dmitrijev

#27 ·
I remember that game in 2001 too, was the first match in the new Tallinn stadium? You were really close to beat us back then, can't see it happen in March though.
Yeah, its true. It was one of the most legendariest game. And half years later came our best victory until Serbia vs Estonia game 2010.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSU9-qCx4XI

But however I believe that our nowadays team are better than 2001 :)

Althrough I don`t remember you`d in last time lost or draw some our class team, so I don`t see any chance also. I am happy when we can score.

Yes, I know. I think I know all Estonia players who play in some foregin
country. Even Finland 3rd league players ;).

Btw one of the Estonia Nt top scorers in last year Gert Kams (scored against El Salvador and Oman) joined with Ykkonen club Seinajoeki.:wallbang::dontcare:

I am not shure but I think Dmitrijev also played in Lithuania A Lyga (guess it was Vilnius Vetra)

#28 ·
There has been great transfer window for Estonians until now.
Lately one of the biggest talents in Estonia Siim Luts finally got to abroad, when he joined with Sweden Higher League club Norrköping

Dmitri Kruglov, who last played in Rostov is on trial in Nižni Novgorodi Volga

Sergei Mošnikov who was Pogon bench man is on trial in other Poland Higher league club Gornik Zabrze.

Artur Kotenko is on trial in Belarus higher league

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.