Should Australia go back to Oceania? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 00:01 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Celtic, Man U, Ireland NT
Should Australia go back to Oceania?

Australia are struggling big time against the like of Thailand and Saudi Arabia at present and this is putting their hopes of qualifying from Asia up in the air.

Would it be better to face a team more suited to their level like New Zealand and then have a play off game to the WC rather than the current set up?

The top Aussie teams are a thing of the past and "soccer" is on the decline in Australia.

Surely it's time to get them back in Oceania so they can allow their players develop at club level and give a chance to younger players against the likes Tahiti and Fiji while not risking success?

Another option would be to return to Oceania and instead of winning Oceania to play off against an Asian side that Australia could beat or at least not lose to on two legs.

Thoughts?

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::

A true Irishman has so much respect for the truth that he uses it only in emergencies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 00:21
Premier Player

Teams: PALIO PASOK! (to orthodoxo*), +Olympiacos, Greece
Literally no team can challenge them in Oceania, no point to wait 4 years just to watch 3-4 actual games. Current situation is much better Imo. At least they have some competition in the qualifiers and the Asian Cup.

Tha Seveste!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 00:46
Legend

Australia was in the international wilderness for 30 years because they were in such a weak confederation... a move back to Oceania would be a backward step

in Asia, they get stronger competition in World Cup qualifying which they have continued to do since 2006, they get to compete in the Asian Nations Cup which they have won in 2015, and Aussie clubs get to compete internationally in the Asian Champions League which the Wanderers won in 2014

in other words, it is better for the game to continue competing and even struggling in Asia than just dominating in Oceania

surprisingly though, the greater professionalism in the game and the move to Asia in 2006(?) hasn't actually translated to better development of players in Australia in comparison to the players developed prior to 2006

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 03:22 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Australia played Japan in a group match in 2006. They can't happen anymore. They were better off back then in my opinion..............and what about New Zealand??

Leaving them without opposition from Australia in their confederation does nothing for them nor for the likes of Tahiti or Fiji who are trying to improve.

Perhaps the winner of Oceania should play in South America? You cannot leave the Kiwis without opposition from Australia in my opinion.

Damaging to them and the Aussies who struggle against the Thais

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't seen the joke yet.

A true Irishman has so much respect for the truth that he uses it only in emergencies.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 03:41
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Teams: Bosnia_NT
I thought NZ do face South American opponents in the playoffs. NZ are absolutely doomed.

NZ as winners of Oceania can go to Confederations Cup. That should be more than enough for them. As for Australia, Asia is still too easy path for them IMO. Most European third pot teams would easily qualify to the finals through Asia.

"Ovaj pristup je možda dovoljan za mađarsku ligu, ali je ovo ipak evropska utakmica".- Thomas Doll (23.7.2015).

"Imam osjećaj da postoje ljudi koji stalno gledaju u sat kad će nestati Bosna i Hercegovina, to traje predugo. A ne znaju da oni imaju satove, a BiH ima vrijeme." - Haris Silajdžić (6.12.2017).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 11:09 Thread Starter
Premier Player

the play off rotate...they'd play conmebol every 3 world cups.

Don't understand how people think it is good for Australia but it is ok to leave NZ there.....They should have left Oceania as part of something else so NZ could have a chance and then later on maybe they could try to play in South America or Asia

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 13:00
Rising Star

Maybe merge Oceania with Asia? Likes of Papua New Guinea, Tahiti, Fiji etc. can get paired with the likes of India and Nepal in the early round of qualifying, and their clubs grouped in the AFC Cup, see how they fare against the champions of Tajikistan and Mongolia.

But I love the AFC, Asian Cup, Asian CL etc. is this a troll thread Mise?

Formerly Jeffrey, ILA etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2017, 13:17
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Current champions of Asia you stupid kunt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2017, 08:30 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico 10 View Post
Current champions of Asia you stupid kunt.
I never doubted their ability to beat bad teams at home.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2017, 22:31
Rookie

Teams: Olympiacos,Greece,Manly(NRL),Socceroos,Liverpool,WSW
I think Australian football should remain in Asia. If you some want Australia to return back to the Oceania confederation, then there will be no AFC Asian Champions' League, No Asian Cup.
Geographically, half of Australia is in Asia. The Western half is in Asia, and the Eastern half is in Oceania. It's a fine line to pick and make a decision that will suit better for Australian football. Can't go backwards like the NSL days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in