The Future of the A-league - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2015, 02:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
The Future of the A-league

Despite the WSW being club champions of Asia and the Socceroos being AFC Asian Cup Champions there are still major issues surrounding the sustainability of professional football in Australia that have been covered up by the two aforementioned successes

Major problems include:
  • The massive problems (on and off-field) with Nathan Tinkler and the Newcastle Jets
  • The lack of ongoing support for the Mariners (fan base and financially)
  • That Wellington Phoenix (OFC) presence in the A-league pisses off the AFC
  • That the AFC wants/needs us to eventually put into place a relegation/promotion system

To a lesser extent that the WSW are doing bad in the A-league is bad for the game but it is not a major problem at this stage

The problems with the AFC personally worry me more. I think it would set the game back decades if we were to no longer be a part of the AFC.

Especially the last bit - having promotion/relegation system - is the most difficult as it's almost impossible without bringing the 'real' clubs back into Australian football (Melbourne Knights, Sydney United, Marconi Stallions, South Melbourne etc.) as has been proved by the success of the FFA Cup. So what was then the point of creating these new, 'fake' A-league clubs in the first place?

Discuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2015, 00:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

No one cares about the A-league then? ok
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2015, 12:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
WR, I've actually been watching more of the A-League this season than I ever have. Of course the standard isn't great, but I quite enjoy it, anyway.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to say about the matter regarding relegation/promotion. No idea how they're going to solve that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2015, 12:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
WR, I've actually been watching more of the A-League this season than I ever have. Of course the standard isn't great, but I quite enjoy it, anyway.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to say about the matter regarding relegation/promotion. No idea how they're going to solve that one.
Yeah, i watch quite a bit of it/read up on the main stories

What are your thoughts on the Newcastle and CCM situations?

Although i somewhat dislike the CCM they have produced/given a chance to some of the most talented Australian players since the golden generation e.g. Matt Ryan, Sainsbury, Jedinak, Rogić etc. I'm not sure why their fans aren't really turning out because football is the only sport that the region has a professional side in and at least they always have a few talented youngsters coming through. It would be a shame for Australian football to lose a club that encourages youth development

On the other hand, i have no real sympathy for Newcastle. The last time they made the finals was 4 seasons ago and this season they look destined to finish last. When Tinkler is involved, there is always trouble (Newcastle Knights). They have been fielding garbage teams for years now and although they have more members than CCM i think the fans are starting to turn their backs on the club recently.

There's talk of a new South Sydney side possibly being an option for expansion/replacement of teams and the other obvious option is Canberra (good crowds during the Asian Cup, successful W-league side, they have produced good footballers in the past, the FFA Centre of Excellence is there etc.)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2015, 12:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The future of the A-League would look brighter if we had better

Newcastle and CCM? Guess just keep them around and hope they get better Sorry, I'm not very smart; I have no great answers.

I agree it'd be nice to see a Canberra based franchise.

What about Hobart? I suppose that's unlikely.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; February 14th, 2015 at 12:41.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 02:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Well the refs aren't professional in Australia so that's a start in that aspect. First comes the quality/sustainability of the league though and then the refs. What's the point in having professional refs if the amount of teams reduces each season?

I have no idea what the state of football is in Tasmania (didn't know they played football in Tasmania ) The state has no professional teams apart from in cricket though so it must not be such an attractive venture for sport clubs

Most of the talk has been around a new Sydney team (South Sydney) so kind of similar to what St. George do in the NRL and integrate the Illawarra as well
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 09:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

My feeling/opinion on Ben Williams has sort of changed lately, I find it quite refreshing how he comes down hard on the playacting.

Regarding Tasmanian footy, I heard the South Hobart football club is the oldest of its sort in Australia, correct me if I'm wrong. But of course, they are not professional.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 10:29
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Outside of the major cities, there isn't much potential.

I visited Wollongong last week and the Central Coast this weekend, and neither is a "city". They are glorified suburbs or council regions. They have infrastructure, i.e., a stadium, but that's about it.

I'd much rather see third teams from Sydney and Melbourne than teams from these sorts of regions, because the population just isn't there to sustain a club. Just think, Wollongong would need to get almost 10% of the residents in the area to a football match to get 20,000+ crowds.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2015, 14:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I think the theory behind having a team in the Gosford, Wollongong and Newcastle is that it would serve the region and not merely the city

That hasn't proved to be too successful thus far though in terms of fan support so i agree that a 3rd Sydney team would be a better option

As i said the South Sydney team could play a few games in Wollongong just like the Dragons do in the NRL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2015, 03:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/artic...sian-expansion

Brisbane Roar boss talks of expanding the A-league into Asia when the A-league eventually expands to 12 teams by 2017

Interesting concept but i'm not sure if it's feasible for a number of reasons
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2015, 05:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

The National Youth League (NYL) is facing the axe for next season as Perth, Brisbane and Central Coast have already let the FFA know they want to withdraw from the competition and Adelaide United and the Newcastle Jets are considering doing the same

The cost of travel, accommodation etc. is the main reason behind pulling out and also that the respective NPL/s are competitive enough competitions without having to travel long distances
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2015, 09:11
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Newcastle Jets got their A-league license terminated.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2015, 13:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Average club run by a terrible owner

No real big loss for the A-league if they go defunct
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2015, 16:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Lee Ki-jee will be a very handy recruit for any A-League side.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in