Advertisement

post #122 of 135 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2013, 22:33
Xtratime Legend

No.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #123 of 135 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 11:02 Thread Starter
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

A year later and another grand final loss.

Tony Popovic has to be the single most predictable manager in the league, which begs the question - how did he manage two straight grand finals in the first place?

You can imagine his pre-match discussions, "I'll start with Santalab up front and then after 70 minutes Juric will enter. And after 70-75 minutes, Ono will enter the match", to which Milicic replies "Ono's starting today, bro". Popovic corrects himself, "oh, in that case Ono will come off after 70-75 minutes".

Milicic asks, "what will we do if we go 1-0 up?", Popovic replies "we'll treat the ball like a hot potato cuz, don't want nothing to do with it".

There aren't many teams who can capitalise on pure ineptitude. Brisbane can, and did, and are worthy winners in a season they dominated.

I spent the whole match shaking my head at players like Polenz, Poljak, La Rocca and D'Apuzzo, as I do most Wanderers matches I watch. However today I have a sore neck from the head shaking because of all the praise heaped on La Rocca for the entire 120 minutes. So I did feel vindicated that the single worst footballer on the pitch was beaten to a header by a player 3 feet shorter than himself (Henrique), and that it was that moment that decided the match.

post #124 of 135 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 11:18
Xtratime Legend

Why doesn't Mooy start anymore?

*Didn't watch the game but I'm sure I'd agree with you and yes, Brisbane play the best football.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #125 of 135 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2014, 11:36 Thread Starter
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

It's either Mooy or Ono, in Popa's book.

He went sentimental and started Ono this time, and both were amongst the better (read only) footballers for the Wanderers today.

I'm hardly Ono's biggest fan, but he adds spark to the match and it's his last match so you know he'll put it all on the line. He played well and after 1-0 where the rest of his team went into the bunker to hide for 40 minutes, he was still adding a touch of class and making things happen.

Topor-Stanley got injured, so Mooy entered for him, and La Rocca moved into defence. Now he had two players trying to make things happen, and I guess it was too much to handle, so Ono (who had just taken the captains armband!) was taken off a little later.

Meanwhile, and injured and invisible Bridge played the entire 120 minutes, not to mention the aforementioned La Rocca, Poljak, Polenz and D'Apuzzo.

It's a solid and consistent team, but with this manager and the four buffoons who start the majority of matches, a runners up medal is the best they can expect.
post #126 of 135 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2014, 01:37
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Has anyone been watching their ACL campaign?

I can't believe they have got to the final with a squad of such average players.

Popa deserves a lot of credit
post #127 of 135 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2014, 01:42
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
I've seen some of their matches, yeah. And yes, against Seoul they got an early goal and for the most part defended their lead resiliently. Seoul had all the possession but they just couldn't break them down. I'm sure it was like that against Guangzhou, too. And it'll be that way against Al Hilal As they have some fine talent - Thiago Neves who cost a pretty penny, and the Romanian Pintilii, the fans here were so pissed he chased the dollar to Saudi Arabia. Their coach too is formerly of Steaua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #128 of 135 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2014, 05:18
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Yeah, they had to do even more defending vs Guangzhou (who were better than Seoul) and they had some luck in refereeing decisions.

I'm an FC fan but i wish they them well in the final. It would be good for Aussie football and i like Popa as a coach.
post #129 of 135 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2014, 11:53 Thread Starter
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Very negative, survival based football to get this far.

But it has worked a treat.
post #130 of 135 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2015, 11:47 Thread Starter
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Western Sydney Wanderers has signed Japanese fullback Yusuke Tanaka for its upcoming AFC Asian Champions League campaign.

Source: AAP
11 JAN 2015 - 7:03 PM UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

The defending champion has penned a short-term deal with the 28-year-old, covering the group stage and potentially round-of-16 matches.

Tanaka joins the A-League club from J-League outfit Kawasaki Frontale, with whom he played 39 games in the 2014 season - including two ACL games against the Wanderers.

He previously played for Yokohama F Marinos between 2005 and 2010.

"Yusuke is a fantastic addition to our squad and brings a great deal of experience to the Wanderers," chief executive John Tsatsimas said on Sunday.

"He is a talented and capable defender who can play either side of defence and having seen first-hand his work rate we feel that he will fit into both our style of play and our team culture very well."

------------

Seemingly, he'll only play the ACL matches.
post #131 of 135 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2015, 01:46
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Forgot to mention this a few days ago but WSW have signed Kerem Bulut (Zico -you happy? ) and Sam Gallagher from the Jets

It looks like Jurić will be off sooner or later but apparently it won't be to Asia as Ange has convinced him to go back to Europe
post #132 of 135 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2015, 01:56
International

Teams: Liverpool, Srbija,
He's not good enough for Europe unfortunately
post #133 of 135 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2015, 03:56
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Well not for a top European league but guys like Troisi and Oar have gone over to sub-top European league and done well
post #134 of 135 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2015, 05:49 Thread Starter
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

Wonder if this means Bulut will link up with the Brotherhood again and get into trouble.
post #135 of 135 (permalink) Old February 5th, 2015, 22:33
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Very unrealistic, but the Hajduk Split board want to hire Tony Popovic as manager. Very slim chance it will happen but his name has been thrown around. He can probably get a better job with his connections in England

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in