How do Australians rate the A-League? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2009, 22:16 Thread Starter
Rookie

How do Australians rate the A-League?

I've been getting some mixed feedback on how Aussies view the A-league.
What I gather is this

a) Some think it's a crap league. Waste of time.
b) Some think it's an exciting league with a lot of potential.

Most seem to agree that the media does a poor job marketing it and usually tries to make it look bad to non soccer fans by comparing it unfairly to the likes of the Premier League.

I've organized to watch a few Brisbane Roar games, so I wanted to know what I was getting myself into

***moving to Australia in a month

Last edited by tedthebed; December 5th, 2009 at 22:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2009, 08:00
*the drum drum*
Xtratime Legend

It can be exciting to watch and is certainly competitive but the quality of the league does leave a bit to be desired.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:54
Forum Manager
Rising Star

Teams: South Melbourne
Marketing goes both ways since the FFA itself markets the game poorly IMO. Here in Melbourne you'll find it rare to get advertising for matches except against Sydney.

Quality of the games are what you would expect though, but the form swing is quite extreme. Unfortunately the league is losing its players to other leagues (sometimes to England lower leagues, some goes to China or Korea and for those who wants the money they go to the Middle East teams). A-League has a variety of players; the star foreigns like Carlos Hernandez and Robbie Fowler, the Socceroos like Jason Culina and Craig Moore, the youths like Kofi Danning (unfortunately out for the season), Tommy Oar, and Mate Dugandzic, and lots others. Mostly it's a hit and miss though. One week you find yourself watching a very awful team and the week after that they looked like they can beat anyone.

As for Brisbane you'll be watching a team in its rebuilding phase. Early this season they have been one of the basket cases and after they sacked Frank Farina, new coach Ange Postecoglou is starting to remove the supposed deadwoods and try to emphasise on youth in the team while salvaging a season to reach the finals. They're currently on a quite good run so you might get a good performance by the time you arrive here.

Because of the earlier mishaps (huge increase in ticket price, poor home form) the crowds went away and they might start to return. You might expect to find crowds in the high 9000 or low 10000 in a 50000 capacity stadium.

PS: Never bet on A-League matches it defies logic to the extreme.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:08
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gains View Post
PS: Never bet on A-League matches it defies logic to the extreme.
You got that right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2015, 06:35
Rookie

It's a nice thing by FFA to make the international week off for the league. I recall that last season because of it being played, the round became a very boring one with the internationals all away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in