Xtratime Community banner

Scrap the cap???

463 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  COUTO 5 
#1 ·
Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on the evil salary cap. Can anyone justify Freemantle being on the same salary cap as let's say Essendond when Freo only won 2 games compared with 17 wins?

#3 ·
I think the salary cap is a good idea. The only thing that needs to be changed is the 95% rule. That is why we have got so many Freo players being way over-paid for their services (COUTO knows what im on about ;) ). If you compare the quality of players between Essendon and Fremantle, then Freo by rights should be using only 50% of their cap (well, on last seasons list anyway).

#4 ·
PEOPLES !!! I wanna ask you's something here !! It is called big business & salary cap :)
NOW !!! If you were a big Owner of a big multi millionare company & you were a major sponsor of an AFL team !! & you demanded Top performances averyweek & you wanted all the best players !! No matter what the wage demands were !!

What can the AFL do if any particular club sponsor decided instead of giving a club a half million a season to pay a player that through there own companies books ?? to play for that club ??? What could the AFL do ???

Example !!
Essendon declare Mathew Lloyd only earns $30,000 next season. But he got $600,000 from Orange !!! for doing nothing but train & play with Essendon !! The AFL couldnt do nothing !!!

#5 ·
rules are rules
rules are there for a reason

#7 ·
Youre right Couto, Orange would have to pay Lloyd that amount of money because the Essendon football Club cant pay their players the money they DESERVE! That's why we were forced to trade Hardwick and recruit a bloody 37 year old. We need the salary cap, dont get me wrong because if it was abolished, you can say goodbye to at least 3 to 4 Victorian clubs. But if it wasnt for teams like the western bulldogs, the kangaroos, geelong and st kilda (who were the clubs that opposed an increase in the salary cap the most) we might be able to officially pay our players the money they should be getting, not taking a pay cut! And no one has explained how a team that has won 3 games in two years (freo) has the same cap compared to a team that has won 38 in two years (the bombers).

#8 ·
I think all this is rubbish. This isnt doing what its labeled. To keep the difference between the good clubs and the bad close. For heavens sake them dikheads in Brisbane have a great list, and Port adelaide are benefiting from essendon, weak and strong :wth:

#9 ·
no the cap is good, otherwise the rich clubs would destroy the competition

but this 95% rule has to go, how can a club like freo be forced to pay so much money to so many ratbags? not fair on their admin! clubs should pay what they feel is the market value for the player not what the afl tell them to, this is the silliest rule Ive ever seen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.