Xtratime Community banner

New Manager: Nigel Clough

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Durkos 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It has been made official and Nigel Clough is the new manager of Derby County, signing a 3.5 year contract with the club today. He will not manage the team tomorrow against Manchester United in the Carling Cup, but neither will Chris Hutchings who has officially left the club. David Lowe will be in charge tomorrow, he is the head of the youth academy.

Your thoughts? Not too sure really, he has done well for Burton this year and obviusly the name sounds good, but this is a huge jump and surely no matter what his name is, when the results start going bad he will face the heat too. Also, I am not confident at all about tomorrow :D

#6 ·
slowly going nowhere with Burton? are you serious? the job he's done is remarkable, and every season has seen an improvement on the year before, they've never gone backwards. Finally leaving them 13 points clear at the top, as one of only 3 semi-pro sides in the conference, without Clough Burton wouldnt even be anywhere near the conference nevermind the verge of the football league.

A great appointment for me, brings optimism to the place, just look at last night, he will get the team passing, he wont stand for any hoofball, he's not Brian Clough, but he's not the total opposite, he's picked up some of his fathers traits, he's not so comfortable with a camera stuck in his face, but if he's not happy with the players he can rip into them just like his old man used too.

#3 ·
I hope you are being sarcastic at calling him Brian rather than Nigel...but thinking about this I see this appointment from only a positive point of view, people who are complaining to me are just looking for ways to have a moan and groan to be honest!

#7 ·
My comment wasn't meant as a knock on his record but felt him being there for what seemed like forever and not getting into the league more than likely to hinder the players confidence in his ability to do the job. The total opposite bit was just with regard to his demeanour compared to ol' big ead.

#8 ·
Again what are you talking about, its different in the lower leagues because you have to sign players on yearly contracts, but with Nigel he has kept faith with players such as Arron Webster and Darren Stride... and surely he has enhanced the players confidence with his loyalty and passion towards Burton

and I'm pretty sure you not complaining about Wenger if my mind serves me, he joined you in 1996 and Clough joined Burton in 1998...does that mean that it feels like Wenger has been at Aresenal forever!!!!!....sorry but it annoys me when supporters of the supposed 'big' clubs try to make points about things they really dont know anything about!!!

#9 ·
Apologies Durkos but the minor point i seemingly struggling to make was with regards to the Derby players, i can't imagine they blessed with the knowledge of yourself and Jimbo, more likely that of myself, fewer bad results/decisions causing confidence to go. I off to finish digging that hole.

#10 ·
:howler: we shall see how the Derby players take to him, i think they could take well, Clough is very much in the Harry Redknapp, go out and enjoy yourself and play football style of manager. I really dont think he will be bothered the big leap in management either, Nigel is a confident man, and his playing career far outshines any of our current players, in fact he can stick the boots on and still be better than most.

#11 ·
Well just after a month of his Clough's reign.... I can see us already making massive stride's forward which is obviously a very good thing considering our league, beating forest at the shity ground for the first time in my life time :happy: and defeating Plymouth 3-0 away, which was our biggest away win for nearly 7 years.

Apart from the results, the performances are starting to massively improve today as well...they is a cutting edge to our game, willingness to play the ball to feet rather than play 'hoof' ball all the time, which we suddenly became used to under previous managers. I read a comment today which i agreed with which said that last manager to play a similar style to Clough was Burley and I would definitely agree with that, as I've said for a long time he's the best footballing manager we have had since Jim Smith

I think we will be fine in terms of survival and to be honest I share nothing but optimism for the future!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.