CM 01/02 Tactical Advice - Xtratime Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 22:32 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Teams: Bosnia NT
CM 01/02 Tactical Advice

I am currently Internazionale (Yeah I prefer saying the full name as on the game as opposed to Inter) on my first seasons. Basically trying to rewrite history and make this Inter side match its potential a couple of years before they did with Mancini/Mourinho at the helm.

* Signed Yepes to be a squad rotation center back (inter changes with Matterazi depending on opposition) and sold Farinos for slightly less of the amount I signed Yepes for.

* Currently 2nd in Serie A in November and into the 3rd Round of the then UEFA cup.

----

One problem I am having is facing the so called "big" sides. I have faced 4 out of the 5 so far drawing 4-4 with Parma, beating AC Milan 3-1, Losing 2-0 to Juve and drawing 1-1 with AS Roma. My main starting formation is 4-4-2 with right side full back and left sided midfield with arrows pointing up. Works great against small teams but against big sides not really effective.

I have come to notice a trend that against big sides whenever I change the formation to 4-3-3 and make team instruction to attacking the score. It's a risky tactic from the start but whenever I implement it after I am trailing it seems to work. However I hate using this tactic as I really want to be able to have a defensive sound team that can close out games. any advice?

Kapetan Gradascevic - Dragon of Bosnia - Never Forget

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_Uprising_(1831%E2%80%9332)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 22:55
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
4-4-2 was utter trash in this version.

what worked well were narrow midfield tactics: 4-1-3-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

the most successful tactics in fact were more like 2-7-1 tiki taka total football stuff...in a way this game predicted the future maybe...didn't like classical wingers or even 2 forwards. but one thing you definitely needed to do was to keep your central midfield zones strong.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 22:59
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

classic 4-3-3 definitely doesn't work either in there...of course the cool thing about this version as how much you could tinker with the exact positioning of your players in with/without the ball screens

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 23:08
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

bascially something like these were among the optimal formations in CM 01/02

----------ST

----AML------AMR

-------MC---MC

WBL-----DMC----WBR

------DC-----DC

or

-----------------FC

-----------AMC

------MC-----MC-----MC (all with arrows forward and other player-specific tinkering)

WBL-------DMC----------WBR

-------DC--------DC

there were also some really weird-looking Russian tactics which scored the best in tests...I usually didn't want to use other people's formations but the general idea behind these was the same...overpopulating the central midfield zones and using pressing.

BTW in one of my long saves where I had used these kinds of tactics for a long time the AI found some weird ways to counter it...around 2023 or so almost all the teams in the world used really defensive formations even when playing each other and not just vs my team...I think it was called 5-4-1 defensive v1 or something in the AI tactics folder...the result was that the global averages dropped to around 1 goals per game and the most common scores were 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1...2-1 was already a high-scoring match.

Last edited by Andy Christ; March 20th, 2016 at 23:13.
post #5 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 23:41 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
4-4-2 was utter trash in this version.

what worked well were narrow midfield tactics: 4-1-3-2, 4-2-3-1 etc.

the most successful tactics in fact were more like 2-7-1 tiki taka total football stuff...in a way this game predicted the future maybe...didn't like classical wingers or even 2 forwards. but one thing you definitely needed to do was to keep your central midfield zones strong.
Are u sure about 4-2-3-1 because I played with AC Milan a while back and did not find it to be consistent. For some wierd reason the 4-4-2 I use is doing okay for most games. I guess it is a good "safe" formation to use.

btw do you tinker with instructions such as forward runs, long shots and who runs with the ball, marking etc..

Quote:

BTW in one of my long saves where I had used these kinds of tactics for a long time the AI found some weird ways to counter it...around 2023 or so almost all the teams in the world used really defensive formations even when playing each other and not just vs my team...I think it was called 5-4-1 defensive v1 or something in the AI tactics folder...the result was that the global averages dropped to around 1 goals per game and the most common scores were 0-0, 1-0 and 1-1...2-1 was already a high-scoring match.
lol how do you increase effectiveness of Strikers? In my game Crespo , Schevchenko and Inzaghi score almost 1.5 goals a game average. my Inter team is more of a team effort. Ronaldo has only scored 3 goals this entire season for example whilst Vieri has only scored once despite starting every game

Last edited by Green Beret; March 20th, 2016 at 23:47.
post #6 of 262 (permalink) Old March 20th, 2016, 23:43 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Also switching to 4-3-3 is effective for me whenever I need that equilaser or important match winner.

But then again maybe the combined stats of Recoba, Ronaldo and Vieri up front will always garuntee me a goal no matter what.

I am thinking to switch to a diamond 4-4-2 or perhaps even a 3-6-1. what do you think?

post #7 of 262 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2016, 01:15
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I think you need to tinker a lot with individual instructions and with/without ball screens. 3-man defense line to my memory never worked too well in this version.

A very basic formation which should work well is 4-1-3-2 with all three midfielders having arrows forward. This should also fit well with R9 and Vieri as it would be hard to bench either one of them. (although ideally you'd want to use one-striker formations in the future)

BTW Roma is a total superclub in CM 01/02 their players are so overrated it's not even funny. It's actually kind of hard winning the Serie A in the first 5-6 seasons because of this.

post #8 of 262 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2016, 01:55 Thread Starter
World Class Player

So I tried using 3-6-1 formation and it worked pretty well.

First 3 games I won 3-0 against Boavista, Fiorentina and then Perugia. Got maximum effectiveness out of Vieri and Ronaldo

last game was a fvck up 3-0 loss against Atlanta because there is a glitch in the game where world cup playoff is on the same time as a Serie A match day so both Yepes and Cordoba were out. Meaning that I had no choice but to put Luigi Di Baggio as cb. Garuntee you thats why I lost because we had more mutch more chances alm:

btw is it me or do penalties get awarded at nearly every game?

post #9 of 262 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2016, 02:01 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
I think you need to tinker a lot with individual instructions and with/without ball screens. 3-man defense line to my memory never worked too well in this version.

A very basic formation which should work well is 4-1-3-2 with all three midfielders having arrows forward. This should also fit well with R9 and Vieri as it would be hard to bench either one of them. (although ideally you'd want to use one-striker formations in the future)

BTW Roma is a total superclub in CM 01/02 their players are so overrated it's not even funny. It's actually kind of hard winning the Serie A in the first 5-6 seasons because of this.
Just signed Figo for 18.5 million (Gonna arrive in January). Off loaded Hakan Suker for 5 mil.

Meaning I really got to use 4-1-3-2 now. Can't wait to have Figo, Vieri and R9 in the same starting XI

post #10 of 262 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2016, 02:39
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Beret View Post

btw is it me or do penalties get awarded at nearly every game?
also the amount of header goals is insane...

post #11 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:23 Thread Starter
World Class Player

It's Januray and Just sold vieri for 23 million

It might screw me up later on in the season but I don't mind. Literally had no more money for wages, board would not give me any and Vieri kept on demanding a new contract despite already being the highest paid player on the team. Besides Recoba and Ronaldo are a better duo upfront. Also Kallon and Ventola are very productive from the bench.

btw Where do you reckon a player like Figo is best used? I am thinking of playing him behind Ronaldo with arrow pointing up or in the lcm position in my 4-1-3-2 formation. Crazy game against Perugia last night had about 24 shots on target with only 2 going in. Figo missed alot of chances as well as striker.

post #12 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:25 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Also. I signed some Polack DM on a free transfer to replace L di Bagio. Which means I got cover for C zanneti and will probably sell Luigi in the summer and still go for another DM and sign either Van Bommel or Davids.

I hear that the DM position is the most important in the game..

my aim for this season is to finish 2nd and win the UEFA Cup. If I can do both hopefully I will have enough money to purchase a world class Striker, DM and backup goalie for next season.

post #13 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 14:14
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I actually started to play CM 01/02 again after many years, being inspired by this thread

Went with Lazio who I've never played with before. Their roster was pretty good and I found a nice tactic for them:

Bought Sorin for £7M from Cruzeiro (he joined Lazio IRL in 2002) and in winter break Riquelme for £20M (had to sell Stankovic to Juve and Poborsky to Roma to cover it).

During the first half of the season I only lost the CL opener to ManU...in Serie A an early goalless draw with Juve at home but then it took ages before I dropped points again, losing to Inter away. So I had 20 wins from the first 22 matches...later had three draws in a row but also some nice results like two 7-1 victories in a row. Now nearing the end of the season but the crazy thing is that Milan still isn't far behind.

A funny thing happened in the Coppa Italia first round vs Lecce...won the first leg away 3-1 but as I wasn't too crazy about this pointless competition, I decided for the 2nd leg to go with a regular 4-4-2 attacking and with B-lineup with all usual starters left out. Still dominated the match but somehow lost 0-3 yet again shows how much tactics mean in this game as with my regular tactic I would surely have won or at least drawn.

post #14 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 14:17
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
It's Januray and Just sold vieri for 23 million

It might screw me up later on in the season but I don't mind. Literally had no more money for wages, board would not give me any and Vieri kept on demanding a new contract despite already being the highest paid player on the team. Besides Recoba and Ronaldo are a better duo upfront. Also Kallon and Ventola are very productive from the bench.

btw Where do you reckon a player like Figo is best used? I am thinking of playing him behind Ronaldo with arrow pointing up or in the lcm position in my 4-1-3-2 formation. Crazy game against Perugia last night had about 24 shots on target with only 2 going in. Figo missed alot of chances as well as striker.
In my game Inter sold R9 to Real for £33.5M...

Figo could be used in 4-1-3-2 as a wide midfielder, although this might not be his best position. It's probably not an ideal formation for him.

post #15 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 21:58 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Quote:
I actually started to play CM 01/02 again after many years, being inspired by this thread

Went with Lazio who I've never played with before. Their roster was pretty good and I found a nice tactic for them:

Bought Sorin for £7M from Cruzeiro (he joined Lazio IRL in 2002) and in winter break Riquelme for £20M (had to sell Stankovic to Juve and Poborsky to Roma to cover it).

During the first half of the season I only lost the CL opener to ManU...in Serie A an early goalless draw with Juve at home but then it took ages before I dropped points again, losing to Inter away. So I had 20 wins from the first 22 matches...later had three draws in a row but also some nice results like two 7-1 victories in a row. Now nearing the end of the season but the crazy thing is that Milan still isn't far behind.

A funny thing happened in the Coppa Italia first round vs Lecce...won the first leg away 3-1 but as I wasn't too crazy about this pointless competition, I decided for the 2nd leg to go with a regular 4-4-2 attacking and with B-lineup with all usual starters left out. Still dominated the match but somehow lost 0-3 yet again shows how much tactics mean in this game as with my regular tactic I would surely have won or at least drawn.
Crespo is a beast in this game. How many goals has he scored for you so far?

post #16 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 22:09
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Sign the following players :

Tsigalko
Nikiforenko
Chiotis
N'diaye
Aghahowa
Okorowenko (or something like that at Shakhtar )
Pastazoglu (or something like that at Olimpiakos )

All of them are beasts. There are more gems but I can't think of any at the moment.

Play 4-1-3-2

Or you can download tactics at champman 01-02 (Google it). My favourite is 442baz. But they're kind of cheat tactics because you become invincible.

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #17 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 22:14
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Damned, you guys are forcing me to download it again as well and play it
post #18 of 262 (permalink) Old March 23rd, 2016, 22:28
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
I think I've played 9999 seasons of this game Still the best manager game out there

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #19 of 262 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2016, 10:18
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Quote:
I have got him to one goal short of 60 in the first season, winning the league, cup and CL with Lazio

post #20 of 262 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2016, 12:16
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

He had a pretty solid season although missed some of it with an injury and I also rested him in all meaningless matches.

I eventually won the CL in a real thriller final vs no other than Roma. The match itself was crap, 1-1 after xt but somehow won a penalty shootout.

The player I was the most impressed with was Simeone...not sure if I've had any DM playing such a season before. He and Crespo and JRR also went on to win the WC2002 as a starters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in