Xtratime Community banner

Derby sign Villa

831 views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  jimbo jones 
#1 ·
Looks like Derby County will make their first signing of the winter break, 25 year old Argentinean striker Emanuel Villa, who currently plays for UAG Tecos in the Mexican league, where he is their top scorer. I am not expert on the Mexican league, but I do watch it at times, and I knew that Tecos was in the bottom half of the table.

Basically the deal is done, he needs to fly to Derby to complete a medical though and he should be signed after that.

Hopefully we can catch some magic with this player, we always seem to find these unknown strikers who do well for a couple of seasons, then of course we sell them :howler:

See less See more
#2 ·
from a Spanish speaking source...

he will arrive at Derby on Wednesday to complete his medical and he is already a Derby County player unless something "wrong" happens (and knowing Derby that's not rare :pp )

He is pleased that he is going to Europe, especially the Premiership but he knows the club is not in the greatest of situations. He says that he wants to make an impact immediately, he cannot make mistakes and he feels the club is ambitious although dead last in the EPL

#4 ·
:eek:

#7 ·
An interesting one, the sort of player we need to have a gamble on, and hope it works out.

#8 ·
An interesting signing.. I am actually a bit suprised were getting a argnetinian striker, but then again I wud much rather take a chance and hit the jack pot, than jus loan an has been striker who has been playing in England

Would we have signed this chap under Billy Davies????

#9 ·
Probably had the knock-back on Beckford and went for something cheaper and not as good.

In all honesty, Do you really think this guy is going to be any good ? If he was, Do you not think the big teams of Europe would have not only Scouted,Trialed and probably signed this guy ?

He will take time to adjust to English football and by the time he does, he will be getting kicked around the pitch in the Championship.Something on cold,rainy december visiting a place like Leeds, nobody would enjoy..least of all a mexican.

#10 ·
Villa's expected to cost £2 million, so how much are you expecting to get for a striker who's only done it at 3rd tier level so far?

I would like Beckford though, he is the sort of player we could do with, this Villa looks like a completely diferent type of player than Beckford would be so, so getting both in will do ;)

#12 ·
jimbo jones said:
Villa's expected to cost £2 million, so how much are you expecting to get for a striker who's only done it at 3rd tier level so far?

I would like Beckford though, he is the sort of player we could do with, this Villa looks like a completely diferent type of player than Beckford would be so, so getting both in will do ;)
The guy makes a good point above, in all honesty.. id expect between 2million and 3.Yes he has only done it at the 3rd tier but he is the kind of player you want at your club, he did his stint in the non-league and has got valuable experience in hte loewr leagues, lest we forget, he does has some limited experience in the championship,but experience it is.

He reminds me of Ian Wright, the way he has and is going to rise up to the top, hopefully with us.

Beckford has pace and an absolute quality finish on him, anyone who has seen his goals this year and last prooves that.

Goals cost these days, for a long time, leeds have been done by low transfer fees and been absolutely skanked.Lennon is the stand-out example of that.Its about time we made teams pay.

Plus, i hope/think he wouldnt go to you, in the short term, it would be good for him, playing in the premiership, but if Wise spent his transfer money wisely (excuse the pun) as he ussually does, wed probably be joining you in hte championship and Beckford wouldnt have achieved much in reality.

#15 ·
Villa's in Derby now, and has signed. Just waiting on international clearance. Apparently he holds an EU passport, which is why he doesn't need a work permit....got Esteban Fuetres written all over it :howler:

#17 ·
He has also got his international clearance this morning, so will be in the squad for saturday :)

#18 ·
TITO ASKED FOR PETACO'S VIEWS
Posted on: Tue 08 Jan 2008

Tito Villa consulted a former Derby fans' favourite as he considered a £2m move to the Premier League with Derby County.

The 25-year-old was once a team-mate of Horacio Carbonari - the Rams' then-record signing in 1998 - when the pair were together at Rosario Central in 2005.

And he got the views of the man known as Petaco - or bazooka in English - before making his mind up on a switch to Pride Park.

Speaking to www.dcfc.co.uk through his interpreter, Santiago Sluzewski, Tito said: "When I was in Argentina I played at Rosario Central with Horacio.

"He said many good things about the club so that is one of the reasons why I decided to come here."

Tito put pen to paper last week on a three-and-a-half-year deal after agreeing terms on his move from Mexican side UAG Tecos.

His international clearance arrived on Tuesday morning and he was unveiled to the media later in the day.

The hit-man is available for Saturday's clash with Wigan Athletic and admits he would happily play tomorrow, such is his excitement about the switch.

And he has no concerns about arriving at a club deep in relegation trouble.

"I will fight until the last minute of the last match, and if we go to the Championship I will still be fighting to get back next year," he said.

"If I thought that the club was already relegated I wouldn't have come - there is always a chance."

Tito - Santiago compares him, in the way he plays the game, to Alan Shearer - says he has experience of relegation battles.

"I am not worried, I am focused, my football life hasn't always been easy so I know what this is all about," he added.

"I have been with teams in the same situation and some have got through, but some haven't.

"I am pleased to be here in the Premier League at a huge club where everyone has been very friendly since the first day.

#19 ·
well he has had one BAD (and I mean BAD) season in Mexico playing with Atlas and one semi good with tecos.

To tell yo the truth I don't see him as improvement over either Miller or Ernshaw.

when he was playing for Atlas he missed sitters almost regularly. In tecos he had a good run, but I seriously doubt he will do much for you when he couldn't cut it in the Mexican league.

He might improve but you could of found hundreds of better Argentinian forwards better then him playing in Mexico or Argentina.

#20 ·
Nesty said:
He might improve but you could of found hundreds of better Argentinian forwards better then him playing in Mexico or Argentina.
How many would have an EU passport though? Without one a work permit would be impossible for such players.

#21 ·
I think what would have been good, is if Graham Richards will still commentating on the radio............ ITTTSSS INNNNNNN, VILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA from TECSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO has scored :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler:

#22 ·
jimbo jones said:
How many would have an EU passport though? Without one a work permit would be impossible for such players.
well i think most players from Argentina have one seens most have italian blood or something like that.

But i'm telling you he is championship standar from what i have seen on him in Mexico league.

But i hope for Derby sake he improves.

#23 ·
I have been looking into this player and I've found and watched some footage on him. I have to say I think jewel may have picked up something special.

He seems perfect for the English game. Fast, big, a real athlete. He is very strong in the air and seems to move well in the box to get those little tap ins.

He has many weakspots don't get me wrong but if Jewel can get him in that box and offer service I can see him scoring goals here.

#25 ·
Nesty said:
trust me is gonna need a lot of service to score and thats gonna be difficult to get.
In the Premiership maybe, but next year we won't be in the Premiership, we'll be in the Championship and I can see him putting a few away there. He has the attributes to do well in the Championship, he's a tireless worker as well which you need to be down there.

We've only really created one chance for him so far, and he tucked it away, but the player who crossed it was offside :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.