Xtratime Community banner

DERBY V Everton @ PPS 28.10.07

409 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Steel Neil 
#1 ·
Well another bloody Sunday game, just because Everton are too lazy to play 2 games in 3 days :D I can see me getting annoyed with game changes yet again this season. At least I will still be there for this one though, although I play myself Sunday morning, and have to drag my aching legs up too Pride Park and stand up for 90 minutes...something I haven't done since the 0-0 draw with Forest about 5 seasons ago...

I still have my unbeaten record as well, been too 3 games and not seen Derby lose (or win) I've seen a 0-0 draw, a 1-1 draw and a 2-2 draw, so it's obvious...

This one's got 3-3 written all over it :D

#2 ·
Injury concerns for Rams

By Steve Nicholson

Derby County face a waiting game to see if Claude Davis and Dean Leacock will be fit for this weekend.

Both defenders picked up groin/back problems during the goalless draw at Fulham and are doubts ahead of Everton's visit to Pride Park Stadium on Sunday.

Neither is likely to train in the early part of this week.

"We will see how they are towards the end of the week but, hopefully, the extra day before the Everton game will help," said manager Billy Davies.

Jay McEveley, a schoolboy player at Everton, is expected to be fit after falling heavily on his neck in the Fulham match.

"He fell awkwardly and it looked nasty but, thankfully, there is no serious damage," said Davies.

Everton will be without Tony Hibbert and Phil Neville on Sunday after both were red-carded in Saturday's Merseyside derby against Liverpool.

Hibbert walked after bringing down Steven Gerrard for Liverpool's first penalty and Neville was sent off when he handled on his own goal line.

Phil Jagielka could fill in at right back as a result.

#3 ·
Despite the silly Sunday kick off, the game is heading for a sell out, with only 500 tickets left :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Well we got our first away point, it should have been 3 but nevermind, this will be a dificult game, but at home we need to pick up something, we have another run of hard games coming up, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Newcastle and West Ham in the next couple of months.

#5 ·
Billy ready to unleash Barnes

By Steve Nicholson

Billy Davies is ready to unleash Giles Barnes as Derby County go in search of their second victory of the season.

Barnes, fit again after a foot injury, impressed as a substitute in Saturday's goalless draw at Craven Cottage.

The attacking midfielder replaced Claude Davis a minute before half-time and, in the second half, was twice denied a winning goal by the heroics of Fulham goalkeeper Antti Niemi.

Barnes was injured in the Championship play-off final at Wembley in May and has yet to start this season.

But appearances in each of the last four Premier League games has convinced Billy Davies he is ready for a recall.

"I was very tempted to start him at Fulham but I felt he was just one more game away - now he is ready," said the Rams manager.

"He's had enough minutes on the pitch and showed at Fulham he can provide pace, power and a goal threat.

"He's looking much more like himself. He came on against Fulham and almost scored with a header and then had a great strike from the edge of the box.

"Your eyes are your judge and he has been looking sharper and brighter in training.

"He's very much in my thoughts and can be a key player for us this season."

Barnes has played around 112 minutes as a sub in recent weeks and will chalk up his 50th start for Derby if he lines up against Everton at Pride Park Stadium on Sunday.

Davies says he can use the 19-year-old in a number of positions - up front, wide or pushing on from midfield.

He also sees the youngster helping the Rams to counter-attack with greater threat.

He will be unleashed :fero: :D He definately looks ready for a start, having him fully fit will make a massive diference, it's already been noticeable that teams fear his reputation, even though he's played barely any Premiership football, with teams already looking too man mark him, no-one's bothered to man mark any of our other players :howler: One thing this also does for us is, teams can get obsessed with Barnes and let our other players have loads of time and space.

#6 ·
Good luck against Everton. I will have a closer look on the game as we face them in two weeks time as well.

You really should have won the game in Fulham. Too bad you only got one point out of it. It looks tough already for you lot, but I'm crossing my fingers for you.

#7 ·
You get Billy Davies and Peter Gadsby and co giving it the, make Pride Park a fortress speech, we want the fans to make the atmosphere great etc...

and they they follow it up with this...

STANDING FANS RISK A PRIDE PARK BAN
Posted on: Fri 26 Oct 2007

Fans who ignore Derby County's continued pleas not to stand during games are risking an initial three-match ban.

The club is now warning it will take immediate action against any fans who flout stadium rules, which have been emphasised in notices around Pride Park and via a personal letter from manager Billy Davies.

Recently standing resulted in a young fan sustaining an injury when he fell after climbing onto a seat in an attempt to see over supporters who were standing in front of him.

This is not acceptable, especially as Derby County has been consistent for some time now in its message to fans not to stand during games.

Police and the stadium's security team now have no option but to increase vigilance and to place an immediate banning order on anyone who flouts stadium rules in this way.

The club has come to this decision reluctantly, but are left with no other option.

While thanking Rams fans for their superb support both home and away, the club is appealing to those responsible to respect their fellow fans.

Oh yeah, 30,000 people sat down clapping a bit is really intimidating for the opposition :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Well i'm going to be bored today :howler:

Looking at tomorrow though, you have too wonder what the team will be, Billy is the king of rotation anyway (Benitez is a rank amateur compared to our Billy) but with all the injuries at the back, who knows how we will line up back there.

There's 2 things I really do want to see though, Feilhaber in the starting line up, I just didn't get why he wasn't even in the squad last week, and Earnshaw on the pitch at some point at least.

#9 ·
After watching the Birmingham city game today at St Andrews.. I was thinking that a win tomorrow would take us out of the bottom 3 and get us moving in the right direction

I think the confidence of the players will be on an up...after getting a good result last week down at Fulham.. but obviously Everton are a much better team than Fulham and will be a very very difficult game. They have really decent attacking players such as Arteta and Osman but also Lescott at the back has become a pretty useful centre-half

I think if we are to win... we must be more ruthless infront of goal and make sure we are tight at the back for 90 mins

Im gonna tip for a 2-1 derby win.. with Miller gettin a brace :cool: :cool: :cool:

#11 ·
Well it's bloody pissing it down, I usually don't mind a spot of rain, but with me playing this morning and having to go straight from my game to Pride Park I really could do without it. Our home dressing room doesn't even have a shower or anything. So I will be soaking wet through, caked in mud and turning up at Pride Park :howler:

As for the game I fancy our chances, teams oten struggle after playing in europe, and Everton have lost both their 2 games following Uefa cup games this season. If we play with high energy at a high tempo we can cause them lots of problems. We'll do well too keep them out though, which means we will have to score 2 to win, something we haven't done since the opening day.

#12 ·
Everton will be a tough team to play, I've saw them play a couple of times and they could give Derby trouble but I just have this feeling Derby will scratch out a 1:0 victory

though we all remember the last time Everton came to Pride Park, it was a 4:3 thriller but one of the results which ultimiteley saw Derby relegated

#14 ·
Well, I'll be kind and say we were rubbish, once again we couldn't string 3 passes together and I'm doing my nut trying to understand why Feilhaber isn't playing, he got us passing against Reading, without him in the side all we're doing is hoofing it.

The only positive was Barnes looked bright again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.