Thread where we laugh @ Brazil's Olympic preparations until JCam closes it - Xtratime Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 12:45 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Exclamation Thread where we laugh @ Brazil's Olympic preparations until JCam closes it

Sounds like a legit disaster area so far:

VISITORS to this summer's Rio Olympic Games in Brazil have been warned not to get ill during their stay because the country "has no hospitals".

Fans flocking to the sporting extravaganza in Rio de Janeiro were greeted by a sign at the city's airport saying "welcome to hell" and warning them emergency services are understaffed and underpaid.

The shocking development is just the latest blow to hit the beleaguered Olympic Games, which has been dogged by accusations of incompetence, corruption and fears Brazil is not fully ready to stage the event.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 12:46 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Rio Olympics could be financial disaster - Rio Olympic 2016 - CBC

The metro line that was meant to ferry tourists to the main Olympic venue in western Rio is still not ready. And Dornelles has warned that there's only enough gas money to continue police patrols through the end of this week. Dornelles is quoted as saying, "without security and without the metro there will be difficulties."

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 12:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Rio mayor: State doing 'terrible' job ahead of Olympics - CNN.com

Rio de Janeiro (CNN)A month before Rio welcomes thousands of visitors for the 2016 Olympic Games, the city's major has lashed out at state officials over the policing of violent crime.

"This is the most serious issue in Rio and the state is doing a terrible, horrible job," Eduardo Paes told CNN, during an interview in his downtown office.

"It's completely failing at its work of policing and taking care of people."Rio has been rocked by a spate of negative headlines in recent weeks, including an Australian Paralympic athlete who was robbed at gunpoint, reports of 20 armed men breaking into a municipal hospital to free a drug kingpin, and a doctor killed by random gunfire on the main artery connecting the airport to the city.

Several international TV crews, including two German broadcasters, which had a truck with more than US$400,000 worth of equipment hijacked at gunpoint, have also been robbed.

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 12:51 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Rio welcomes tourists more fresh meat

post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 12:57 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-study-reveals
Quote:
Athletes in next year’s Summer Olympics will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.

An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues – results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.
Rio Olympics organisers face pollution ‘challenges’, says IOC president
Read more

It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.

Brazilian officials have insisted that the water will be safe for the Olympic athletes and the medical director of the International Olympic Committee said all was on track for providing safe competing venues. But neither the government nor the IOC tests for viruses, relying on bacteria testing only.

Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where the majority of sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.

As a result, Olympic athletes are almost certain to come into contact with disease-causing viruses that in some tests measured up to 1.7m times the level of what would be considered hazardous on a Southern California beach.
good lord, it's worse than I thought

post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 14:44
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Atletico-MG
There is an usual exageration about those news, but the thing is, Brazil is living a cup, the governament that is rulling us is incompetent as hell. They are nowhere like the governament that was able to give stability to the World Cup. So maybe those news are not looking the right angle here and the possibility of problems are huge. You just do not organize big events without some sort of commitment and this commitment does not exist right now at the federal/state level.
Firdaus likes this.

Kat: "JCam, you may quote me now, but you are quite wise".

Kat: "JCam knows, we do not doubt in him".
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 14:51 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

so what will happen? is Brazilian media predicting chaos and disaster during the games?

post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:04
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

The brazilian media is behind the cup, exagerating the protests in 2013-2014 and now they are smothering the critics in name of a "truce" to fix things. So, they are nowhere as vicious as before. They will probally be happy to let things go and if anything fails, blame the previous governament. The thing is, the current president have budget to release and this can attend Rio's demands. But he wants to negociate, since his position in power if feeble and he have to please other states, hence the attitude of Rio governament to try to use a possible failure at Olympics to blackmail the President to get this budgets for themselves.

This budget may mean a cake without a cherry on top or without. Also, except right wing imbeciles, I do not see a lot of talking about the security during the games. We often are careless about terrorism, the idea we are too far off the geographical map, everyone loves samba, parties and half-naked women to attack here, etc, but I am not sure about this. And despite the absence of Media incentive, there may be protests again and the our cops still violent as hell and this governament is exactly formed by the scumbags from São Paulo who triggered the violent protests in 2013 with violent action by the cops.

So, unlike the World Cup, with engament from governament, the will to prove we could do it right and a willing crowd, the olympics is happening more inside a bubble and we have a scenary of complete chaos in the political arena. A Castle of card, so this time, a breeze may cause a lot of damage.

post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:12 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

ok, this sounds pretty bad

how are the ticket sales so far?

post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:18 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

the articles from April and May said there was little interest in tickets and even people from neighboring countries planned to stay away

post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:22
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Last time I heard, 2/3 of the tickets already sold, they do not expect to to achive the initial number, but overall they think it is fine. Lots of football tickets avaliable yet and since it is one of the events with more tickets, there is some expectation to see more sales after group stages. There is little engagement from brazilians, but it is normal, considering the price of tickets and a good number of events with sports no brazilian care about or will be part.

post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:29
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
the articles from April and May said there was little interest in tickets and even people from neighboring countries planned to stay away

Well, but in which sports those countries would compete for a medal here? It is not the world cup, the latin american countries have little interest here (and it is more expensive, because to argies for example, the world cup trip was a matter of hours, the olympic could take a day)...

post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:34
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
i dont have statistics but who do u think attends olympic games? regardless of where they take place?

likely US citizens, germans, japanese...and so on...either because of the price of the tickets (huge role here) but also how seriously its taken in their countries

from a personal point of view, the olympics for me are athletics and gymnastics...all the rest are free riders...and i dont really care about them (free riders) , find most of the event a big bore festival

even the sports i enjoy watching in world cups, european cups, clubs cups ( like footy, or volleyball), pay no attention to thme whne at the olympics

and regarding athletics, the shadow of dopping is so wide, thats has made me lose much of the interest i used to have

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:36
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, it is a very elitist event. Anyways, so far, the only info i saw is that there will be a japanese invasion here.

post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2016, 15:43
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post
Yeah, it is a very elitist event. Anyways, so far, the only info i saw is that there will be a japanese invasion here.
yep, makes sense

post #16 of 148 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2016, 19:24
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Two news this week: the organization said they used the number of London (84% of tickets sold) as their target. According to them, they are optmistic to break this number, since the sales are very good so far.

And a site for Hotels made a list of the countries that are searching for hotels during olympics:

Turistas argentinos são os que mais procuram o Rio no período da Olimpíada, aponta estudo - Olimpíada 2016: calendário, notícias e ranking - ZH Esportes - Esportes: Futebol, Volei, Basquete e Mais - Zero Hora

post #17 of 148 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2016, 19:28
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

oh no...argies are gonna invade brasil

post #18 of 148 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2016, 19:37
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

You should know by now, we are not xenophobic just because we are better.

post #19 of 148 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2016, 19:44
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

and argie $ is just as good as any other, let thme come

post #20 of 148 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2016, 18:41
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Romania,Real Madrid,Universitatea Craiova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
Rio welcomes tourists more fresh meat

Jeezaz , I might even say they're worse than gipsyes , if that was even possible.
Krle likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
Athletic ability to spare, genius level mathematicians, invented the internet, invented russian language, incredibly attractive people, master carpenters, cultural richness to rival any country, musical artistry unsurpassed in Europe....

I'm not kidding here, and I've said it before, if you look deep down in your soul you'll realize that Romanians are master race.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in