2011 Copa América - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2011, 00:05 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

2011 Copa América

Don't think a thread has been created yet? I guess this would be the best place or maybe WFF is somebody thinks so...

Anyways, should be excellent considering it's in Argentina and the first time there since 1987. Big tournament for Messi and Argentina in front of their own people. Argentina go in as slight favorites ahead of Brazil with both heavily favored to meet in the final.

Here are the groups...

Group A
Argentina
Colombia
Costa Rica
Bolivia

Group B
Brazil
Paraguay
Ecuador
Venezuela

Group C
Uruguay
Chile
Mexico
Peru

Only Brazil and Colombia have named official squads as yet I believe.

Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2011, 00:18 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Brazil

Coach: Mano Menezes

Goalkeepers: Victor (Gremio), Julio Cesar (Inter)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Inter), Andre Santos (Fenerbahce), Adriano (Barcelona), Lucio (Inter), Thiago Silva (Milan), David Luiz (Chelsea) Luisao (Benfica)

Midfielders: Lucas Leiva (Liverpool), Ramires (Chelsea), Sandro (Tottenham), Jadson (Shakhtar Donetsk), Elias (Atletico Madrid), Elano (Santos), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Lucas Silva (Sao Paulo)

Forwards: Robinho (Milan), Alexandre Pato (Milan), Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Santos)

Colombia

Coach: Hernan Dario Gomez

Goalkeepers: David Ospina (Nice), Luis Martinez (Once Caldas)

Defenders: Mario Yepes (AC Milan), Aquivaldo Mosquera (America, Mexico), Luis Perea (Atletico Madrid), Cristian Zapata, Pablo Armero (both Udinese), Camilo Zuniga (Napoli), Yulian Anchico (Pachuca), Juan Valencia (Atletico Junior)

Midfielders: Juan Cuadrado (Udinese), Elkin Soto (Mainz), Abel Aguilar (Hercules), Fredy Guarin (Porto), Carlos Sanchez (Valenciennes), Gustavo Bolivar (Deportes Tolima)

Forwards: Hugo Rodallega (Wigan Athletic), Adrian Ramos (Hertha Berlin), Teofilo Gutierrez (Racing Club), Radamel Falcao Garcia (Porto), Jackson Martinez (Chiapas), Dayro Moreno (Once Caldas)

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2011, 00:21 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Colombia look solid, plus got a good draw and I expect a good showing, second round at least, possible semi-finalists with a bit of luck.

Look forward to seeing Neymar strut his stuff for Brazil, Ganso too.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2011, 00:43
Rising Star

Teams: FC Nantes, Chamois Niortais
Perfect, I was searching for this Thread to develop the (interesting) idea that Argentina has the right group-stage to ramp up. I think it could be more "physical" for Brazil.
Anyway, I hope I'll have the possibility to watch some matches. This Copa America is very interesting with this Argentina that could be the World Champion with some ifs, this new-brazilian side that prepares "its" World Cup and the others with some good players in the Chilean team or the Colombian one for exemple. Anyway, some players are expected.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2011, 17:49
orbis novus football
Rookie

Teams: South America is my team
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
Colombia look solid, plus got a good draw and I expect a good showing, second round at least, possible semi-finalists with a bit of luck.

Look forward to seeing Neymar strut his stuff for Brazil, Ganso too.
Pre injury Ganso was amazing, will he recover in time?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2011, 00:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

I make a thread and Wally creates an entire forum.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2011, 14:16
Star Player

A bit of a surprise - only one game in Buenos Aires.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2011, 12:49
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
A very interesting article on Copa América 2011 by the always worth reading Tim Vickery...

Historic Copa America is history in the making
BBC Sport, 27 June 2011

I am heading down to Argentina not looking forward to the intense winter cold - quite frankly, it is the kind of thing I crossed the Atlantic to avoid - but with a warm glow in anticipation of the 43rd Copa America, which kicks off on Friday.

The tournament has a double-edged beauty. It is a pilgrimage to a place where football history was made, and a fascinating opportunity to witness history in the making.

The world's oldest continental tournament, the Copa was first staged in Argentina in 1916. There are times during the competition's 95-year history that it can claim to have showcased some of the best football ever seen at that point.

Until the Wall Street crash of 1929, it was held annually (with the exceptions of 1918 and 28), on four of those occasions in Argentina. At a time when football in the continent's south cone was catching on at extraordinary speed, these regular confrontations did much to raise standards.

In this sense, the World Cup is a child of the Copa America. Uruguay changed football by winning the Olympics of 1924 and 28, creating curiosity for a new global competition open to professionals - the World Cup, which Uruguay staged and won in 1930. None of this would have happened had Uruguay not picked up momentum and experience in the early versions of the Copa.

Then there is the 1940s, the golden age of Argentine football, with Brazil making rapid progress after professionalism had opened up the game to players from all backgrounds. I would love to have been around for the 1946 Copa, staged in Argentina, when the hosts cruised to the title, conducted by one of their all-time greats, Adolfo Pedernera. That must have been something to see.

But there will be plenty to see this year, too. And in one sense, 2011 holds an advantage over the great tournaments of the past. In terms of the strength in depth of the South American national teams, this might be the most formidable Copa ever played.

The credit here goes not to the Copa, but to the marathon format of World Cup qualification, which is now used in South America. Since 1996, the continent's 10 countries play each other home and away, in one big league. It takes years - but remember that there are no qualifiers for the Copa America, unlike, for example, the European Championships. The South Americans are not playing any more qualifiers than the Europeans - it is just that they start the race for 2014 while Europe is still concerned with 2012.

In fact, the main consequence of the marathon format was to give the South Americans the kind of structure that European national teams take for granted. Previously, on this side of the Atlantic, there were huge gaps between competitive games - easy for the likes of Brazil and Argentina to fix up lucrative friendlies, much more difficult for the less-traditional nations.

But since 1996, these countries have been able to count on a calendar of regular competitive matches, with guaranteed income, and thus the chance to hire a top-quality coach, to keep a team together for the long term and also invest in youth development.

The difference has been amazing. Ecuador were a South American version of Luxembourg. In 2006, they made the world's last 16. Venezuela were a version of the Faroe Islands. They now have genuine hope of booking a place in 2014. Uruguay, it may be recalled, came fifth in the last set of qualifiers, and had to go through the play-offs to get to South Africa, where, of course, they reached the semi-finals.

Initially, this new format of World Cup qualification had a detrimental effect on the Copa America. After decades of disuse (coinciding with the reign of the military dictatorships), the Copa was resurrected in 1987, and was held every two years. After 1996, this meant that there was an excess of international fixtures, and the Copa paid the price. The tournament was greatly devalued, full of experimental line ups.

Now, though, the Copa has been shifted to a perfect time. Staged every four years, the tournament kicks off a new cycle of competitive matches.

Since the World Cup, the South American sides have been blooding new coaches and boosting their bank balances with friendlies. Now they have their sights on the coming set of World Cup qualifiers - and the Copa gives them a perfect opportunity to prepare. Of course, once the action kicks off in Argentina and the adrenalin kicks in, everyone will dream of lifting the trophy on 24 July. But the priority is to emerge from the competition with a battle-hardened squad ready to fight for a place in Brazil in three years' time. That is why everyone is at full strength in the Copa - or as near full strength as injuries allow.

That does not mean that there is nothing at stake over the next few weeks. Some coaches may be fatally undermined by what happens in this year's Copa, while others will have their prestige significantly boosted. And, of course, there is pressure on Argentina to end an 18-year wait for a senior title in front of their own fans. But the interest lies in the observation that the preparation is part of the process; some of the big storylines for 2014 start now.

And there is another aspect to the Copa. It is also an excellent opportunity for the host nation to invest in its football infrastructure. Argentina, like most recent hosts, is using the competition to combat the problem of excessive centralisation, the historic imbalance caused by the domination of Buenos Aires.

The capital will only stage the final. Everything else is in the provinces, from La Plata just down the road, to Santa Fe and Cordoba in the heartlands, Mendoza and San Juan near the border with Chile, and Salta and Jujuy to the north.

And the tournament comes at a fascinating moment, when teams from the provinces are beginning to raise their profile - a point emphatically proved by River Plate's relegation at the hands of Belgrano of Cordoba, Argentina's second city, which has always punched below its weight on the football field.

The 2011 Copa and its decentralising consequences count as history in the making - it will be worth putting on 20 layers of clothing to witness it at first hand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvicker..._is_histo.html

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 02:57
Star Player

Thanks! That was a great read.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 03:14
Rising Star

Teams: Argentina
very nice read
that tim vickery is gold .. Gotta love old School Brits
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 04:20
BANNED!
International

It all kicks off tomorrow.

Colombia is my pick.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 16:42
orbis novus football
Rookie

I am so excited, feels like i am 16 or 17 again!

Cant wait for tonight, the greatest tournament in the world is about to start.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 16:54
CULT OF PERSONALITY
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: MANCHESTER UNITED, Shillong Lajong FC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA HYPE View Post
I am so excited, feels like i am 16 or 17 again!

Cant wait for tonight, the greatest tournament in the world is about to start.
today is an exciting game. Argentina are clearly favorites but miracles do happen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
She told me again she loves me , and I said I love myself too
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:05
orbis novus football
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesmoina204 View Post
today is an exciting game. Argentina are clearly favorites but miracles do happen..
It is totaly different game tonight.

And Bolivia is very bad in away games.

Agree on miracle part though, we will see some crazy scores and above all we will see the most promising youth players in world football on one place under one flag.

Flag of South America.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:07
CULT OF PERSONALITY
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: MANCHESTER UNITED, Shillong Lajong FC.
Quote:
It is totaly different game tonight.

And Bolivia is very bad in away games.

Agree on miracle part though, we will see some crazy scores and above all we will see the most promising youth players in world football on one place under one flag.

Flag of South America.
whats your prediction Scoreline mine 3-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
She told me again she loves me , and I said I love myself too
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:24
Legend

Teams: ROMA
Can't wait for this tonight! Gonna have a drink or two and enjoy the games.

Do you even glory hunt?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:25
Rookie

Teams: Independiente de Medellín
Semi final:
Uruguay 2 vs Chile 3
Argentina 5 vs Brazil1 (goal by Neymar)

Brasik 1 vs Uruguay 5

final:
Argentina 5 vs Chile 1 (goal by Alexis Sanchez)

4 Brazil
3 Uruguay
2 Chile and
champion Argentina ha ha ha
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:32
orbis novus football
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesmoina204 View Post
whats your prediction Scoreline mine 3-1.
4-0 or 5-1.

Good luck to India, hope to see your team in Brasil 2014.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:33
orbis novus football
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR83 View Post
Can't wait for this tonight! Gonna have a drink or two and enjoy the games.
a drink or two?

Make it seven or eight.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2011, 17:35
Legend

Teams: ROMA
Quote:
a drink or two?

Make it seven or eight.
I do have work tomorrow morning though! Gotta try and keep it civil tonight.

Do you even glory hunt?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in