South American-Round Up Leagues/2010 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 10:42 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
South American-Round Up Leagues/2010

Under 2 weeks for a new year..and brand new championships in S Am .....

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2009, 18:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Official: Roberto Carlos Signs For Corinthians

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2009, 20:04
Rising Star

Teams: Everton and VFL Bochum
When do the championships start? I'll guess March time?

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old January 6th, 2010, 11:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

bochum17, nope...way before..they all want to be done before the WC, even if not goinn...stay home and watch.. Chile and Argentina get goinn with their leagues in 2 weeks time ..

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2010, 10:15 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Chile - Apertura Day 1

January 23

FT U. San Felipe 3 - 2 Colo Colo

FT Everton CD 0 - 1 Union Espanola

January 24

FT Cobreloa 2 - 1 Santiago Wanderers

FT Huachipato 2 - 1 San Luis

FT Palestino 1 - 1 Univ. Conce

FT S. Morning 2 - 3 La Serena

FT Univ. de Chile 5 - 1 Cobresal

January 25

FT Audax Italiano 5 - 6 Atletico Nublense

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2010, 10:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Uruguay - Clausura
January 23

FT Atenas 3 - 1 Defensor Sporting

FT Cerrito 1 - 4 Liverpool FC

FT River Plate 0 - 1 Fenix

FT Nacional 3 - 1 Cerro Largo

January 24

FT Rampla Juniors 2 - 2 Cerro

FT Danubio 4 - 5 Tacuarembo FC

Postp. Racing ? - ? Central Espanol

FT Penarol 4 - 2 Montevideo Wanderers

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2010, 10:18 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Venezuela - Clausura
January 21

FT Tachira 2 - 0 Carabobo FC

January 23

FT Caracas 3 - 1 Trujillanos FC

FT Anzoategui 2 - 3 Real Esppor

January 24

FT El Vigia 1 - 1 Mineros De Guayana

FT Aragua FC 1 - 0 Monagas SC

FT Centro Italo 1 - 2 LLaneros Guanare

FT Yaracuyanos FC 2 - 0 Estudiantes Merida

FT Zulia 1 - 1 Dep. Italia

FT Zamora FC 1 - 1 Guaros de Lara

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2010, 11:29 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

South American roundup-Four sent off in Catolica match

BUENOS AIRES, Feb 1 (Reuters)

- Four players were sent off in Universidad Catolica’s 2-1 win over Palestino in the Chilean championship at the weekend.

CHILE

Four players were shown the red card in Universidad Catolica’s win over Palestino, two from each side, and their coaches Marco Antonio Figueroa and Jorge Aravena almost came to blows after the first dismissal.

Catolica midfielder Jorge Ormeno was the first to be sent off after half an hour for a dangerous tackle. Team mate David Henriquez and Palestino’s Nicolas Canales followed on the stroke of halftime for fighting. German Navea of the home side was dismissed seven minutes from time for a second booking.

Midfielder Milovan Mirosevic headed Catolica’s winning goal one minute from time.

Uruguayan striker Juan Manuel Olivera scored three times as Universidad de Chile won 4-2 at La Serena to take their goals tally to nine after two matches in the Apertura championship.

Champions Colo Colo, Universidad’s arch-rivals, bounced back from defeat last weekend to promoted Union San Felipe with a 3-1 win over Cobreloa.

“The U”, under new Uruguayan coach Gerardo Pelusso, were two up after five minutes with Olivera’s first, a header, and a free kick by midfielder Marco Estrada.

Olivera completed his hat-trick in the second half with a penalty followed by another header.

COLOMBIA

Striker Jorge Perlaza hit a hat-trick to hand Deportes Tolima a 3-1 home win over Deportivo Cali at the start of the Apertura championship.

Forward Fernando Uribe also struck three goals for Once Caldas in their 4-3 defeat at Real Cartagena.

Title holders Independiente Medellin were held 0-0 by Independiente Santa Fe.

URUGUAY

Champions Nacional were held to a 1-1 draw at Tacuarembo while arch-rivals Penarol won 2-1 away to Cerro.

Liverpool, with Penarol the only two teams to have taken maximum points from two matches, won 2-1 away to Atenas in San Carlos where the second half was played in torrential rain.

VENEZUELA

Real Esppor, surprise leaders after two matches, were toppled from the top of the Clausura standings at home in El Paraiso by Deportivo Tachira, winners of the Apertura championship in December, who beat them 2-1 away.

Tachira goalkeeper Manuel Sanhouse conceded his first goal after 596 minutes, while Esppor defender Luigi Erazo was sent off just past the hour.

Deportivo Italia beat Yaracuyanos 4-1 to go level with Tachira at the top, both one point ahead of Esppor after three matches.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2010, 10:33 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

South American Dispatch: Disorder Reigns At Both Boca And River

Goal.com

Ahead of River Plate’s clash with Colon, Ariel Ortega has broken his silence surrounding the incident which led to him being axed from the squad last weekend.

The 35-year-old midfielder admitted suffering a relapse of his alcoholism which led to him meeting up for the squad a day late. Ortega used a radio interview to beg the press to focus their attention on his problems and leave the footballer’s family alone.

“I’ve always had respect for journalists and the job that they do. There is one out there though who is following my family around to see if they are visiting me in hospital. I have never lost my temper with the press even though they often get things wrong about me. The thing that worries me more however is when I see them put the names of my family in the newspaper.”

The troubled former Argentina international has had a fraught relationship with the press as his problems with alcohol have provided many sensational stories.

“They have the right to say whatever they want but right now it is upsetting me. I’m a footballer and wish the stories would be about what I do on the pitch. I have personal problems which are very delicate and live with me 24 hours a day.”

The player’s latest lapse has greatly troubled his head coach Leonardo Astrada as a fit and happy Ortega can still make the difference for River. During the interview Ortega expressed deep regret for letting people down.

“I apologise to the fans and my team-mates, I don’t want my career at River to end like this. I look forward to playing for River again if I’m selected, I want to decide when to retire rather than have the decision taken for me. I have to work hard to improve myself and correct some areas of my life.”

Ortega also said that he is enjoying the coaching responsibilities he has been given at River and the work he is doing with the young striking pair of Rogelio Funes Mori and Daniel Villalba.

Ortega’s final point was to say that if the club’s management tell him his services are no longer required then there will be no hard feelings on his part.

“I know people who care about me at the club are hurt when I don’t show up for a game. I have shared many good times with these guys, most of my life I have been here. Even when you leave you stay in contact with the people at River. I know the affection these people have given me, so I’m grateful. If I’m asked to leave then I will be calm about it.”

Boca’s Coach Swinging The Axe

Boca Juniors head coach Abel Alves looks set to make wholesale changes to his starting line-up this weekend for the visit of Atletico Tucaman.

Slack defending last time out cost Boca three goals in the first 18 minutes of their game with Newell’s Old Boys. Boca went on to lose the game 4-2 after getting off to a nightmarish start.

Spies at Boca’s training facility, Casa Amarilla, have reported that two players looking certain to lose their places are veteran duo Roberto Abbondanzieri and Hugo Ibarra.

The form of both 37-year-old goalkeeper Abbondanzieri and 35-year-old defender Ibarra has been shaky in the earlier stages of the Clausura campaign. The probable replacements for the pair are Javier García between the sticks and Santiago Villafane coming into the backline.

On the morning of their latest training session Alves put the bibs on Abbondanzieri, Ibarra, Munoz, Morel, Krupoviesa, Mendez, Medel, Erbes; Riquelme, Mouche and Viatri.

Excluded from the day’s training where the players returning from midweek international duty. After playing in the 2-1 win over Jamaica, Martin Palermo, Luciano Monzon and Federico Insua are all fit for the weekend but the news is less encouraging for Nicolas Gaitan.

Spritely midfielder Gaitan is one of the few bright sparks at La Bombonera at the moment, but he is ruled out after straining a muscle in his leg whilst with the national team.

In the afternoon session at Casa Amarilla the team was switched around and this time featured Garcia, Villafane, Munoz, Barroso, Morel, Mendez, Medel, Chavez; Riquelme, Mouche and Viatri.

It is from these 11 plus Palermo, Monzon and Insua that Alves is expected to pick his team for Sunday’s game. Defender Habib Beye is also currently being assessed by Boca and the Senegalese international could well be signed in time for the visit of Tucaman.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2010, 15:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

South American roundup-Red cards fly in Uruguay, Ecuador

BUENOS AIRES, March 8 (Reuters)

- Four players were sent off in Racing’s 3-2 win over Danubio in Uruguay’s Clausura and three in Ecuador’s Quito derby, while Peruvian champions Universitario have been suspended in a sponsorship row.

Chile’s championship remains suspended in the wake of the massive earthquake last month.

URUGUAY

Four players were sent off, two from each team, as Uruguayan former Paraguay coach Sergio Markarian got off to a losing start in charge of Danubio, who lost 3-2 to Racing having taken a two-goal lead after half an hour.

Racing had defender Mathias Abero dismissed after 18 minutes for a foul as last man but Danubio striker Diego Ifran missed the penalty.

Danubio’s former Inter Milan and Uruguay forward Alvaro Recoba was shown a straight red card in the 55th and his team mate Pablo Caceres suffered the same fate 20 minutes from time. Racing striker Nicolas Lopez was sent off in the final minute.

Goals from midfielder Pablo Migues and Recoba, his first since returning home from Italy, had Danubio two up.

Midfielder Jorge Luis Cazulo pulled one back on the stroke of halftime and substitute Martin Cauteruccio and midfielder Santiago Ostolaza turned the result around in the last five minutes.

Antonio Pacheco scored a hat-trick as Penarol crushed Cerro Largo 5-0 to stretch their perfect run to seven matches in the Clausura. They lead by five points from second-placed Fenix and Pacheco is leading scorer with a tally of 10.

Gustavo Varela scored twice, one of his goals a penalty, to give champions Nacional a 2-1 win over Wanderers. Nacional are third eight points behind their arch-rivals Penarol.

ECUADOR

Nine-man LDU beat Deportivo Quito 1-0 at the Atahualpa stadium in the capital with a 15th-minute goal by Edison Mendez in one of the country’s two big derbies.

LDU had two players sent off in the first half but still managed to hold on for victory. Former Aston Villa, Reading and Ecuador defender Ulises de La Cruz went for a tackle with his studs up on Angel Escobar and international midfielder Neicer Reasco was dismissed for a second yellow card. Deportivo’s Isaac Mina was sent off in the second half.

Emelec, crushed 5-0 by LDU last weekend, bounced back to beat arch-rivals Barcelona 3-0 in the “Shipyard classic”, the big derby in the Pacific port city of Guayaquil.

Argentine striker Hernan Peirone was sent off a quarter of an hour from time, three minutes after scoring Emelec’s second goal, for a second bookable offence.

Unbeaten LDU lead with 13 points from five matches, two points more than Deportivo Cuenca and three ahead of Barcelona.

Champions Deportivo Quito are one from bottom after losing four of their five matches.

CHILE

The Chilean federation (ANFP) decided on Saturday to suspend this year’s two championships, the already-started Apertura and the Clausura as a result of the devastation caused by the massive earthquake that has claimed hundreds of lives.

It will stage a single championship with a starting date yet to be decided.

PERU

Champions Universitario, who have lost their three matches so far, did not play against Total Chalaco at the weekend after they were suspended in a sponsorship row.

The ADFP, a body that groups the 16 top flight clubs, suspended Universitario for favouring a different airline from that which sponsors the championship and provides teams with air travel to matches. Universitario are appealing.

Sporting Crustal are top with a maximum 12 points after a 1-0 win over Leon de Huanuco, one of four teams in second place with nine points after four matches.

BOLIVIA

The Apertura championship kicked of with a controversial goal giving The Strongest a 2-1 win over Aurora. The linesman, poorly placed to make a decision, ruled that Alejandro Chumacero’s 69th-minute winner had crossed the line - and received the referee’s backing—when video replays confirmed it had not.

PARAGUAY

Champions Nacional beat Guarani 1-0 to end their unbeaten run in the Apertura and join them in second place along with Olimpia, 4-0 winners against Sport Colombia.

The three are four points behind leaders Cerro Porteno, who have taken 18 points from seven matches after their 2-1 win away to Sol de America.

Midfielder Diego Alfonso scored a hat-trick in Tacuary’s 3-3 draw with Sportivo Luqueno.

COLOMBIA

Unbeaten Real Cartagena, held 1-1 at home by Envigado, lead the Apertura with 18 points after eight matches.

Independiente Medellin and Atletico Junior are joint second with 15 points after Medellin salvaged a 1-1 draw at home to Junior with a 90th-minute penalty by midfielder Luis Arias.

VENEZUELA

FC Caracas beat Aragua 1-0 away with a goal by Mexican Rodrigo Prieto to maintain a one-point lead in the Clausura championship over Real Esppor and Zamora after seven matches.

Deportivo Italia are two points behind with a game in hand and champions Deportivo Tachira four points off the pace with two matches in hand.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2010, 21:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

First games in Chile since quake

BUENOS AIRES, March 15 (Reuters)

- Chile’s championship resumed at the weekend after an interruption of more than two weeks following the massive earthquake that devastated parts of the country and left hundreds of people dead.

Penarol increased their perfect opening start to eight wins in Uruguay, while Peruvian champions Universitario won for the first time after three defeats.

CHILE

The Chilean championship resumed with a 3-3 draw between San Luis and Nublense, whose goalkeeper Jorge Deschamps was sent off in the 66th minute.

Midfielder Luis Flores gave Nublense a 2-1 halftime lead before Deschamps brought down Mario Pierani and the forward converted the penalty to put San Luis level at 2-2. Despite being a man short Nublense’s Red Devils went ahead again through Jose Luis Munoz.

Joel Soto secured a point for San Luis with his second goal of the match when he scored a last-minute equaliser after taking a fine long pass directly from goalkeeper Luciano Palos, racing though the middle unchallenged and rounding Deschamps’s reserve Maximiliano Scapparoni.

After only five matches were possible, Union Espanola lead with 15 points from seven games after a 1-1 draw with Santiago Morning. Universidad de Chile have 13 from six.

Sunday’s late match in which Audax Italiano led Deportes La Serena 2-1 was abandoned in the second half due to a power cut that affected many parts of the country.

URUGUAY

Sergio Blanco scored a hat-trick with two goals in the opening seven minutes and including two penalties while fellow striker Sebastian Balsas hit two as champions Nacional crushed 10-man Atenas 6-0. Defender Jose da Silva was sent off on the hour.

Penarol beat Central Espanol 2-0 to stretch their perfect run to eight wins, equalling the club record, and striker Tony Pacheco scored both goals to take his championship leading tally to 12.

Espanol keeper Ignacio de Leon was sent off shortly before halftime after conceding a penalty. Pacheco converted and then added his second goal two minutes later.

Penarol lead by five points from second-placed Fenix, while Nacional are eight points behind their arch-rivals.

PERU

Champions Universitario won 1-0 at home to Jose Galvez with a 77th minute goal by Piero Alva for their first points after three defeats, their worst start to a league championship this decade.

They have a match in hand after last weekend’s meeting with Total Chalaco was suspended due to a sponsorship row which the federation has sent to an arbitration panel.

Sporting Cristal lost their perfect record but are still unbeaten after a 0-0 draw with Alianza Atletico. They lead with 13 points from five matches.

BOLIVIA

Uruguayan striker William Ferreira scored a 12-minute hat-trick in the second half as Bolivar crushed 10-man Real Mamore 6-1.

Defender Ovidio Guatia, who had scored an own goal from a Charles da Silva free kick to put Bolivar 2-1 up, was sent off four minutes before halftime for a second yellow card offence.

PARAGUAY

Cerro Porteno lead with 21 points from eight matches after a 4-1 home win over Sport Colombia with two goals from substitute midfielder Julio dos Santos. His first goal two minutes after coming on in the 54th minute put Cerro 2-1 up.

ECUADOR

Unbeaten LDU, held 1-1 by Espoli who scored a stoppage-time equaliser through David Bone, lead with 14 points from six matches.

LDU are three points ahead of Deportivo Cuenca and four ahead of Barcelona, who are at home to struggling champions Deportivo Quito on Monday night.

VENEZUELA

Real Esppor went top of the Clausura championship with a 2-0 win over Deportivo Italia while Caracas FC, who did not play, are two points behind with a match in hand.

COLOMBIA

There was no football due to national elections.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2010, 12:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

River and Boca SLUMP even further in Argentina. Amazing !!!!

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old April 12th, 2010, 08:33 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Vagner Love leads Flamengo to Rio Cup final

Associated Press

SAO PAULO (AP)—Vagner Love scored a goal in each half Sunday to help Flamengo defeat Vasco da Gama 2-1 in the semifinals of the Rio Cup, the second stage of the Rio de Janeiro state championship.

Flamengo will play Botafogo, which beat Fluminense 3-2 in Saturday’s semifinal. Botafogo won the first stage, the Guanabara Cup, and can automatically secure the overall state title if it beats Flamengo in the Rio Cup next Sunday.

In Sao Paulo, defender Durval scored a 90th-minute winner to give Santos a 3-2 win over Sao Paulo in the first leg of the Sao Paulo state tournament semifinals. Gremio Prudente and Santo Andre will play the other semifinal later Sunday.

Flamengo beat Vasco despite playing without star striker Adriano, who is nursing a back muscle injury.

Love, in Brazil on a loan from CSKA Moscow, scored first at Maracana stadium after a breakaway in the 10th minute, dribbling past goalkeeper Fernando Prass inside the area before striking the ball into the far corner.

Vasco equalized with Thiago Martinelli’s firm header from near the penalty spot following a corner in the 31st, but Love sealed Flamengo’s victory by converting a penalty in the 72nd.

The referee saw a foul by Vasco right back Marcio Careca on defender Leo Moura on the edge of the area, and Love calmly struck the ball into the back of the net.

Flamengo had left back Juan sent off in the 79th, and Vasco’s Martinelli was dismissed in the 90th after fouling Love to receive a second yellow card.

Flamengo needs to beat Botafogo in next Sunday’s Rio Cup final to earn the right to face Botafogo again in a two-leg state final. The winners of each stage face off for the overall title, but Botafogo can clinch it automatically if it also wins the Rio Cup.

“Now it’s all or nothing for the title,” Love said. “Hopefully Adriano will be back on the squad to help us.”

Flamengo, the current Brazilian champion, won the previous three Rio titles in finals against Botafogo, which is trying to win its first state title since 2006.

Botafogo earned its spot in the Rio Cup final with a 3-2 win over Fluminense at Maracana on Saturday.

Uruguay striker Sebastian “El Loco” Abreu scored in the fourth minute to score first for Botafogo, but former Lyon striker Fred hit in the target in the 27th and 30th minutes to put Fluminense ahead. Fred had already missed a penalty in the ninth, hitting the crossbar.

Botafogo midfielder Fahel equalized in the 61st, and striker Caio scored the winner with a low shot from outside the area in the 71st. Fluminense players called for an offside by Argentine striker German Herrera, who was ahead of all defenders but let the ball go through his legs and into the goal.

In the Sao Paulo state tournament, Santos beat Sao Paulo with a late winner after relinquishing a 2-0 first-half lead at Morumbi stadium.

Durval scored with a header in the 90th minute, sealing Santos’ victory ahead of next Sunday’s second leg at Vila Belmiro stadium in Santos. The team made famous by Pele in the 1960s can advance to the final even if it loses by a single goal next weekend.

Santos scored first in the 25th after an own-goal by Sao Paulo left back Junior Cesar. Veteran Santos defender Leo crossed a low shot into the area and Cesar inadvertently deflected the ball into the net with his right foot.

Sao Paulo went a man down in the 35th after striker Marlos fouled Robinho to receive a second yellow card. The team’s chances of recovering appeared to take an even bigger hit when striker Andre added to Santos’ lead in the 40th with a first-time shot from close range after a nice through ball by striker Neymar.

But Sao Paulo came back strong in the second half in front of 35,000 fans at Morumbi stadium. Playmaker Hernanes scored with a low shot from the top of the area in the 53rd, and striker Dagoberto equalized with a header in the 67th after a cross from former AS Roma right back Cicinho.

Santos was able to retake control of the match in the final minutes, and it paid off when Durval headed in a free kick taken by midfielder Madson.

Santos is trying to win its first title since 2007, while Sao Paulo hasn’t won the traditional tournament since 2005. Corinthians, the defending champion, failed to reach the semifinals despite having striker Ronaldo and veteran left back Roberto Carlos in the team.

Santo Andre, which had the second-best campaign before the semifinals behind Santos, came from behind to beat Gremio Prudente 2-1 at Eduardo Jose Farah stadium.

Diego put Prudente ahead in the 41st, but Santo Andre rallied with goals by Branquinho in the 50th and Rodriguinho in the 58th.

Santo Andre, the 2004 Brazilian Cup winner, can advance to the final even if it loses the second match by a one-goal difference next Sunday at home.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2010, 11:15 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Argentinos moves into second spot, Boca gets win

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—

Argentinos Juniors moved into second place in the Argentine Clausura tournament after beating relegation-threatened Gimnasia La Plata 3-1 on Sunday.

Elsewhere, Juan Roman Riquelme returned from injury to inspire Boca Juniors to a 2-0 win at home against San Lorenzo, while Racing Club won 2-0 against Banfield and Atletico Tucuman was relegated after a 2-2 draw with Rosario Central.

Estudiantes tops the standings with 33 points after 16 games, one point ahead of Argentinos with three rounds remaining.

Nestor Ortigoza opened the scoring for Argentinos against Gimnasia with a penalty in the 28th minute.

Lucas Castro equalized after goalkeeper Nicolas Peric fumbled a long-range shot from Alvaro Ormeno in the 68th, but Argentinos regained the lead a minute later when Ismael Sosa tapped in Gonzalo Prosperi’s low cross.

The win was made safe when Santiago Raymonda rounded the goalkeeper for Argentinos’ third on the counter attack in the 87th minute.

The defeat means Gimnasia will almost certainly face a two-leg playoff with a team from the second division to decide whether it will stay in the top flight.

Matias Gimenez gave Boca the lead against San Lorenzo at home in the Bombonera stadium with a header from Riquelme’s corner in the fourth minute.

Riquelme was again the provider when Martin Palermo scored in the 71st minute and both players embraced in celebration despite the public feud between them.

The victory enables Boca to climb above fierce rival River Plate in the standings, though both clubs are enduring seasons to forget. Boca is now 15th, with River down in 17th in the 20-team league.

Luis Rodriguez twice gave Atletico Tucuman the lead with strikes in the 3rd and 52nd minutes against Rosario Central in a game the home side had to win to have a chance of avoiding relegation.

But Jose Zelaya equalized in the 22nd minute and Milton Caraglio pulled Central back level for the second time in the 59th.

Matias Martinez and Claudio Bieler* scored in the final 15 minutes as Racing Club beat defending champion Banfield in a clash between two teams in mid-table.

(* tHE turd IS BACK IN THE HOMELAND AGAIN !!!!)

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 11:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Latin American roundup-Uruguay’s Penarol set record

May 3, 11:27

BUENOS AIRES, May 3 (Reuters) - Uruguayan Clausura title winners Penarol finished the tournament unbeaten at the weekend having dropped only two points in 15 matches.

Morelia, Santos Laguna and Pachuca won their first legs of the Mexican Clausura quarter-finals while Toluca drew 2-2 away to America.

URUGUAY

Penarol, who had already clinched the Clausura title with three games to spare, finished the championship unbeaten with 14 wins and one draw, a record since the season was divided into two separate tournaments.

They had to come from behind twice to win their last match 3-2 against Atenas with a last-gasp goal by tireless midfielder Egidio Arevalo to top the table with 43 points, 14 ahead of joint second Cerro and Fenix.

Penarol will meet arch-rivals Nacional, the Apertura winners in the first half of the season who ended the Clausura with 27 points in fourth place, in the final to decide the overall champions.

PERU

San Martin crushed Alianza Atletico 4-0 with a hat-trick from Argentine striker Hebert Arriola to open a three-point lead in the standings. Second-placed Cesar Vallejo let slip a two-goal advantage and were held 2-2 way to Melgar.

BOLIVIA

The Strongest beat Blooming 2-1 at home in La Paz and caught San Jose, who lost 2-1 away to Aurora in Cochabamba, at the top of Group A.

Bolivar’s lead in Group B was cut to three points when they lost 3-1 away to Oriente Petrolero, whose striker Jorge Ramirez scored a hat-trick.

ECUADOR

Leaders Barcelona were held 0-0 by El Nacional, whose forward Edison Preciado missed a 15th-minute penalty, in the match between Ecuador’s two most titled teams.

LDU Quito climbed to within one point of Barcelona after a 2-0 win over Deportivo Cuenca with two goals from midfielder Edison Mendez.

CHILE

Champions Colo Colo beat Santiago Morning 2-0 in their first match under their Argentine coach Diego Cagna and lead the table with 29 points, one ahead of arch-rivals Universidad de Chile, who crushed San Luis 4-0.

COLOMBIA

The top-of-the-table clash between Tolima and title holders Independiente Medellin ended 1-1, allowing Santa Fe to edge within one point of the leaders with a 2-1 win over Once Caldas.

With two matches to go to the knockout phase, Tolima have 31 points, Medellin and Santa Fe 30 and Atletico Junior, who beat Cortulua 3-2.

PARAGUAY

Cerro Porteno’s lead was cut to two points as they were held 0-0 by arch-rivals Olimpia in the Asuncion derby at the Defensores del Chaco national stadium. Second-placed Guarani beat 3 de Febrero 2-1, their fifth win in a row.

VENEZUELA

Caracas FC beat Zamora 4-0 to go four points clear in the Clausura with two matches to go. They have 33 points and second-placed Deportivo Italia 29 after beating Aragua 2-0.

Apertura winners Deportivo Tachira cannot retain the title after a 0-0 draw with 10-man Trujillanos left them seven points behind the leaders. Home side Trujillanos had midfielder Robert Armua sent off after 24 minutes.

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2010, 21:28 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bravo Bichi !!!!!!!

Argentinos win 4-3 thriller, snatch lead from Estudiantes

BUENOS AIRES, May 9 (Reuters) -

Defender Matias Caruzzo scored a stoppage-time winner for Argentinos Juniors who came from 3-1 down to beat Independiente 4-3 and snatch the lead from Estudiantes in the Argentine Clausura championship on Sunday.

Argentinos have 38 points and Estudiantes 37 with one match to go. Independiente remained on 31 points in joint third place, equal with Godoy Cruz who are at home to Colon on Monday.

A penultimate round of matches that began with Estudiantes holding a one-point lead which would have enabled them to lift the title if they had won and Argentinos lost ended in high drama.

Estudiantes, down to 10 men for an hour after captain Juan Sebastian Veron was sent off for elbowing an opponent, were held 0-0 by Rosario Central after centre back Leandro Desabato shot over the bar in the dying seconds with the goal at his mercy.

A far more exciting clash was played at the same time across town at the Diego Armando Maradona ground, home of Argentinos Juniors, with the Argentina World Cup coach after whom it was named watching.

Nicolas Pavlovich, who scored twice, put Argentinos ahead in the 26th minute, steering home 39-year-old fellow forward Jose Calderon’s precise low cross from the left.

Independiente, who had led the standings for five weeks on a seven-game unbeaten run before taking a mere four points from their last five matches, hit back immediately.

‘OLYMPIC GOAL’

From the restart they won a corner on the left which striker Leonel Nunez took, curling the ball brilliantly over the keeper and into the top far corner for what is know in South America as an ‘Olympic goal’.

Nunez, a former Argentinos player, did not celebrate the goal and made a gesture as if to apologise to the home crowd. It was the same when he scored again in the second half.

Independiente went in front three minutes after the interval when midfielder Ignacio Piatti crossed from the left and striker Dario Gandin headed in at the far post.

Gandin laid on Independiente’s third in the 67th minute for Nunez whose low shot from the right beat reserve keeper Luis Ojeda, who had come on after 18 minutes for the injured Chilean Nicolas Peric.

Pavlovich headed Argentinos, coached by former Argentina striker Claudio Borghi, back into the match in the 73rd minute before the home side scored twice in the dying minutes.

Defender Juan Sabia equalised in the 89th minute before former Estudiantes veteran Calderon laid the ball off to Caruzzo in a goalmouth melee three minutes into stoppage time.

The centre-back’s shot was deflected out of keeper Adrian Gabbarini’s reach on its way into the net to the delirium of the home fans.

Argentinos visit Huracan next Sunday as title favourites with Estudiantes, chasing a double of Argentine and South American Libertadores Cup titles, away to Colon in Santa Fe province.

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2010, 10:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Los Bichos Rojos de la mano del "Bichi"

Argentinos Juniors on verge of title

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer
May 13, 2010

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—Argentinos Juniors is one victory away from winning its first Argentine league title for 25 years.

Known as the “Red Bugs,” Argentinos, which was the first professional club of Diego Maradona, on Sunday play at Huracan on the final day of the regular season.

Anything less than a victory and Estudiantes, which has 37 points—one less than Argentinos, can claim the title with a win at Colon.

There will be a one-game playoff next week to decide the title if both teams finish level on points.

“We know if we win we can clinch the title, but if we lose there will be no drama,” said Argentinos coach Claudio Borghi. “We are anxious about it but it’s only a football match.”

A title win would be an historic achievement for Borghi, who played with Maradona in Argentina’s World Cup-winning team in 1986 and was a member of the Argentinos side in 1985—the last time the club won the league. Borghi would become the first person at the club to win titles as both a player and a coach.

The strength of Argentinos is its midfield, led by Nestor Ortigoza and Juan Mercier. Both players are looking forward to the World Cup in South Africa— Ortigoza is in Paraguay’s preliminary 30-man list for the World Cup and Mercier is in Argentina’s enlarged squad.

Huracan trails Argentinos by 12 points in the standings and has little to lose.

“We don’t want them to run the victory lap at our stadium,” Huracan coach Hector Rivoira said. “So we’ll be playing very tough against them.”

Estudiantes is going for the double, having reached the quarterfinals of the Copa Libertadores, a tournament in which it is the defending champion. It faced Brazilian club Internacional on Thursday in the first-leg of the quarterfinals.

Estudiantes will on Sunday be without arguably its best player, Juan Sebastian Veron, who was sent off last week in a goalless draw with Rosario.

Argentina’s so-called “big clubs” have had seasons to forget. Independiente, which was the league leader for much of the season, has slipped to fourth place with 31 points. Others are even further behind—Racing (26), River Plate (22), Boca Juniors (20) and San Lorenzo (17).

Chacarita Juniors and Atletico Tucuman will be relegated to the second division, while Rosario Central and Gimnasia La Plata face a playoff with the No. 3 and No. 4 clubs in the second division.

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2010, 23:37 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Argentinos Juniors win first title in 25 years

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—Argentinos Juniors clinched its first league title in 25 years, beating Huracan 2-1 on Sunday after goals from Juan Mercier and Facudo Coria.

Mercier opened the scoring for Argentinos in the 24th minute with a close-range header, and Facundo Coria grabbed the team’s second on a header 12 minutes from time.

The Buenos Aires club—the first professional club of Diego Maradona— finished the 19-game Clausura season on 41 points, one more than Estudiantes, which defeated Colon 4-1. Mauro Boselli scored a hat trick for Estudiantes.

Argentinos had all the play in the first half with four clear chances in the first 10 minutes. The champions were less impressive in the second half, but finally broke through with a second goal. Huracan had two players sent off midway through the second half. Alan Sanchez scored for Huracan in the 88th with the club down to nine players.

The title is special for Argentinos Juniors’ popular coach, Claudio Borghi. Borghi played with Maradona in Argentina’s World Cup-winning team in 1986 and was a member of the Argentinos side in 1985—the last time the club won the league.

Borghi is the first person at the club to win titles as both a player and a coach.

“At first we came into the season trying not to be relegated,” Borghi said. “Now we are champions. We have to enjoy it all. I think all the players did an extraordinary job … I’m happy for the club, and today is a special day for me.”

This is the eighth different champion in the last eight seasons in Argentina. The two biggest clubs—Boca Juniors and River Plate—have each won once in that period.

The match was soiled at the end inside Huracan’s stadium when police needed to use a high-powered water hose to control angry young men, who attacked police and hurled objects at them and opposing players. At least one policeman was struck by his own nightstick after lost it in a run-in with hooligans.

Estudiantes played without its top player midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron, who was suspended for the match.

Estudiantes is still alive in the quarterfinals of the Copa Libertadores, the continental club champion. Estudiantes lost the first-leg quarterfinal last week 1-0 to Brazilian club Internacional. They play the second leg this week.

In other results in Argentina on Friday and Saturday in the final round of play: Arsenal 1, Godoy Cruz 2; San Lorenzo 2, Newell’s Old Boys 1; Banfield 3, Boca Juniors 0; Gimnasia 3, Atletico Tucuman 3; Chacarita 1, Racing Club 2; Independiente 1, Lanus 0; Rosario Central 0, Velez 0; River Plate 1, Tigre 5.

In Argentina, the two teams with the worst records over the last three years are demoted. River Plate will begin next season at the bottom of the relegation table and could face relegation at this time next season.

River, Boca Juniors and Independiente are the only three teams that have never been relegated to the second tier.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2010, 12:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Latin American roundup -Four off in Uruguay final 1st leg

May 17, 2010

BUENOS AIRES, May 17 (Reuters) - Four players were sent off, two from each side, as Penarol beat arch-rivals Nacional 1-0 in a tense first leg of the Uruguayan final, while Caracas FC won the Venezuelan Clausura championship at the weekend.

In Colombia, both team’s goalkeepers were sent off as Atletico Junior beat Envigado 2-0 to qualify for the Apertura semi-finals and the match between Boyaca Chico and America was suspended with eight minutes remaining because of crowd trouble.

URUGUAY

Forward Antonio Pacheco headed the only goal in the 22nd minute as Penarol beat Nacional in the first leg of the grand final of the Uruguayan season.

There were four red cards in the final half hour as tempers frayed in a tense encounter at the Centenario stadium in Montevideo.

Nacional had substitutes Maximiliano Calzada and Matias Cabrera shown the red card and their coach Eduardo Acevedo was sent to the stands. Penarol midfielder Jonathan Urretaviscaya and substitute Ruben Olivera were also dismissed. Cabrera had only been on the pitch four minutes and Olivera eight.

The second leg is on Tuesday.

VENEZUELA

Caracas were held 1-1 at home by Deportivo Anzoategui but lifted the Clausura crown on goal difference from Apertura title winners Deportivo Tachira, who beat Centro Italo 3-1. The new champions had a goal difference of plus 15 to Tachira’s plus 13.

COLOMBIA

Striker Carlos Bacca scored twice, his first goal a penalty, to give Atletico Junior a 2-0 win over Envigado and send them into a semi-final against title holders Independiente Medellin.

Envigado goalkeeper Andres Saldarriaga was dismissed in the 48th minute for bringing down Bacca. The striker put Junior 1-0 up by beating substitute keeper Victor Soto with the penalty and headed the second 15 minutes from time.

Junior keeper Didier Munoz had been sent off in the 17th minute.

The other semi-final of the Apertura championship will be between La Equidad and Deportes Tolima.

Boyaca Chico were leading 1-0 at home against America with eight minutes to go when fans of the visiting team from Cali caused trouble on the terraces. The match was suspended and the result stands.

MEXICO

Santos Laguna will meet Toluca in the Mexican Clausura championship final after a 7-1 rout of Morelia including a hat-trick by striker Oribe Peralta for a record aggregate of 10-4.

The 14 goals scored in the tie equalled the record set in the 1989-90 semi-finals when Puebla beat Pumas UNAM 8-6.

Toluca went through when a 1-0 win gave them a 3-2 aggregate victory over Pachuca.

The first leg is on Thursday and the second next Sunday.

PARAGUAY

Guarani beat Sport Colombia 1-0 and snatched the lead from Cerro Porteno, who lost 2-0 to Libertad.

Guarani have 43 points and Cerro Porteno 42 with a match in hand. Olimpia are third on 39 having lost ground with the 2-1 defeat by Sol de America.

PERU

Leaders San Martin were held to a 1-1 draw at home by champions Universitario whose striker Piero Alva scored a spectacular last-gasp equaliser with a scissors kick.

San Martin have 32 points, five more than Cesar Vallejo and Sporting Cristal after 14 matches.

BOLIVIA

Wilstermann beat San Jose 2-1 away and lead the six-team championship group for the Apertura title with seven points from three matches. They are two points ahead of Aurora and Bolivar who drew 2-2 in Cochabamba.

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2010, 11:37 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Most Leagues to be up and running this weekend of the 17th ... Great News for the best Futbol in the world !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in