Conmebol Level/News-Stories 2009 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2009, 10:22 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Conmebol Level/News-Stories 2009

Oblitas banned from leaving Ecuador over unpaid tax

QUITO, Jan 14 - Former Peru forward and coach Juan Oblitas has been banned from leaving Ecuador after failing to pay his income tax, the country’s inland revenue service (SRI) said on Wednesday.

Oblitas, a gifted winger who played for Peru in the 1978 World Cup, was coach of LDU, the reigning South American champions, from 2004 to 2006.

He is in Ecuador for a pre-season friendly with Sporting Cristal, the Lima-based team he now coaches.

“The SRI has prohibited Juan Carlos Oblitas from leaving the country for not paying taxes,” said the SRI in a statement.

“Mr Oblitas has promised to pay the amount owed by today (Wednesday) but the SRI will keep in force this precautionary measure until he fulfils his obligations.”

The case comes in the middle of a clampdown on tax evasion by the Ecuadorean government.

Oblitas, who was also in Peru’s 1982 squad on the last occasion that they played in a World Cup, coached the national side from 1996 to 1999 when they enjoyed a relatively successful period.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2009, 22:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

1/16/2009

Estudiantes Ready To Face Corinthians

Estudiantes de La Plata coach, Leonardo Astrada, has practically confirmed his starting XI to face Corinthians at the Pacaembu stadium in Sao Paulo on Saturday...
Estudiantes de La Plata were invited to face Corinthians in a high-profile friendly match on Saturday, where Ronaldo was initially expected to make his Corinthians debut.

However, it is unknown whether the Brazilian superstar will take part in the match, because he has yet to reach full fitness.

Leonardo Astrada, the coach of Estudiantes, will confront the match with several reserve players, in order to keep great part of his first team fresh for the crucial Copa Libertadores preliminary playoff with Sporting Cristal of Peru. The first leg of the qualifier will be played on the 27th of January.

It was confirmed that Marcos Angeleri will be preserved for the match, due to a knock, while team captain Juan Sebastian Veron will be utilized in the midfield. Diego Galvan and Jose Luis Calderon will be given rare opportunities to start from the kick off.

Estudiantes, who have won the Copa Libertadores three times, are still likely to turn out with a strong squad.

Their starting XI could consist of the following players: Mariano Andujar, Agustin Alayes, Cristian Cellay, Leandro Desabato, Diego Galvan, Matias Sanchez, Leandro Benitez, Enzo Perez, Juan Sebastian Veron, Gaston Fernandez and Jose Luis Calderon.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old January 24th, 2009, 11:26 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

1/23/2009

Veron Receives South American Player Of The Year Award

Estudiantes de La Plata captain, Juan Sebastian Veron, expressed his satisfaction after being officially named South American Footballer of the Year for 2008...

Argentine midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron affirmed that he still has "lots of projects and objectives" in his career, after having received the award for being South American Footballer of the Year for 2008, in Montevideo on Thursday.

"This prize is a great honour, I'm very proud, because it is a recognition for all the dedication and love that I put into what I do," stated the Estudiantes de La Plata captain.

Veron is keen on finding more success in football, and he reaffirmed his intention to "win an international title with Estudiantes and to return to the Argentine national team."

Uruguayan newspaper El Pais, who has organized the event for the past 23 years, counted votes from all around the region, with Veron finishing in first place, beating Boca Juniors midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme by three votes.

Veron also commented about the South American World Cup qualifiers, stating that he believes Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay, will qualify for the World Cup, in that order. According to the player Chile will end up in fifth place.

"Paraguay are doing things very well, and they will surely be in the World Cup. Brazil and Argentina will follow them.

"Then it is difficult, but I think Uruguay can earn fourth spot and qualify directly to South Africa 2010, and Chile in fifth place, and they will take part in the playoff," concluded Veron.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2009, 22:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

El fútbol italiano está dispuesto a experimentar la "tarjeta naranja"

La medida permitirá expulsar a un jugador durante algunos minutos del terreno de juego.

El ex árbitro Pierlugi Collina confirmó que se analizará, además, la introducción del “doble árbitro" al fútbol.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

The Italian Calcio is ready to experiment-analyze the"Orange Card".

The ruling will allow the ref to send -off the pitch a player for a certain amount of minutes.

The Ex-Ref Pierlugi Collina ascertained also that the other theme being considered in Italy is the introduction of a 2nd ref in the pitch.

IMO, both great IDEAS and I hope to see them come to life and in South America SOON !!!!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2009, 22:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Uruguayan players strike over unpaid wages

MONTEVIDEO, March 3 (Reuters)

- Uruguayan players have gone on strike over unpaid wages and bonuses, forcing this week’s midweek league matches to be called off.

“The clubs are being given until Friday afternoon to pay the debt,” players union president Enrique Saravia said in a radio interview.

“If it’s paid the championship will restart at the weekend.”

The 2008-09 championship has already been suspended twice because of crowd violence and security problems.

Uruguayan media said Nacional, one of the country’s biggest clubs, owed around $160,000 to their players and arch-rivals Penarol owed around $50,000.

Villa Espanola were barred from playing in the second stage of the championship, which started 10 days ago, because they owed around $50,000 to players.

Uruguay was once a major power in international soccer, staging and winning the inaugural World Cup in 1930. The national team also won another World Cup in 1950 and the Olympic soccer tournament in 1924 and 1928.

In the last two decades the country has been hit by a mass exodus of players abroad and the 30 professional clubs struggle to survive on meagre incomes.

Many first division matches are played in front of only a couple of thousand fans in stadiums which resemble European non-league grounds.

In 2005 modest Rocha, who share their training ground with a herd of cattle, reached the final of the championship.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2009, 10:19 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Riquelme quits Argentina and blames Maradona

BUENOS AIRES, March 10 (Reuters) -

Playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme quit the Argentine national side for the second time in three years on Tuesday and blamed coach Diego Maradona for his decision.

“The national team is over for me,” the former Barcelona and Villarreal player, now with Boca Juniors, told the Canal 13 television station in an interview. “I’m going to watch the World Cup on the television.”

“We don’t think the same way. We don’t share the same codes of ethics. While he is the coach of the national team, we can’t work together.”

Maradona told the same television station: “I’m very sad that Riquelme does not want to play in my team but I’m not going to cry over spilt milk.”

It was the second major controversy since Maradona’s surprise appointment in October.

Less than two weeks after he took over, Maradona reportedly threatened to quit after the Argentine association refused to allow him to name Oscar Ruggeri as his assistant.

The enigmatic Riquelme, 30, previously retired after the 2006 World Cup. He backtracked less than a year later and led his side to the final of the Copa America with some inspired performances.

SPLIT OPINIONS

Riquelme, who is seen as a classic South American playmaker, has split opinions throughout his career.

Many admire his elegant, unhurried style, a rarity in the fast and physical modern game, and his ability to prise open defences with slide-rule passes.

But his critics say the whole team has to be built around him and when he underperforms he drags the side down. He also has a reputation for underperforming on the big occasion.

Argentine coaches have taken differing views.

Marcelo Bielsa gave him few chances and left him out of the squad for the 2002 World Cup. In 2006 in Germany, Jose Pekerman built the team around him as did his successor Alfio Basile.

At club level, Riquelme left Villarreal in 2007 after falling out with the coaching staff who complained he had too many privileges.

Riquelme, who returned to Boca Juniors for a third stint in November 2007 after falling out with the coaching staff at Villarreal, said he was angry at being left out of the squad for last month’s friendly in France and not being told first hand.

He was also upset with comments Maradona made about him in a television interview last week.

“I heard that I wasn’t playing against France from (general manager Carlos) Bilardo on the radio and then last week he (Maradona) made comments about my playing style on the television,” added Riquelme, who was in Argentina’s Olympic gold medal winning team last year as an overage player.

“I’d die to wear the shirt of the national team and it’s going to hurt me to watch the World Cup on the telly.”

“This hurts me a lot and I hope the team does well.”

Riquelme has made 50 appearances for Argentina scoring 17 goals. He has been left out of both Argentina’s games since Maradona took over because of club commitments.

Without him, Argentina beat Scotland and then France.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

No sign of deal for Mexican return to S.American Cups

NASSAU, June 1 (Reuters)

- Mexican teams are almost certain to remain outside South American competition next season with no signs of agreement over a return, a senior regional soccer official said on Monday.

Mexico, part of North and Central American Federation CONCACAF which also includes Caribbean nations, has featured as a guest in leading South American competitions.

However, Mexico withdrew its clubs and national team from all South American competitions last month in protest at the refusal of teams to play them due to the swine flu crisis.

“I don’t think there will be a quick solution,” said CONCACAF general secretary Chuck Blazer when asked if a swift return for the teams would be possible.

Blazer said CONCACAF supported Mexico’s stance and intended to look into the arrangements for ‘guest teams’ in South America at their meeting in November.

However, Blazer said he could well hold informal private meetings with his counterparts from the South American federation (CSF) during the FIFA congress this week in the Bahamas.

Mexico withdrew from South American games after players from Uruguayan and Brazilian teams refused to travel to Mexico for two scheduled games against Mexican teams San Luis and Guadalajara in the Libertadores Cup, a regional club competition.

In addition to the Libertadores Cup, the CSF organizes the Copa America for national teams and the Copa Sudamericana for clubs.

The Mexican national team first appeared in the Copa America in 1993, reaching the final where they lost to Argentina while Mexican clubs joined the Libertadores Cup five years later.

There have been over 5,000 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus in Mexico with 97 deaths.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

martes, 2 de junio de 2009

Una reunión provechosa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MÉXICO -- México reanudó el martes relaciones con la Conmebol, cortadas desde el pasado ocho de mayo por la polémica derivada del brote de gripe A en ese país, y volverá a la Copa Libertadores con cinco equipos, dos más de los que tiene ahora, afirmó el presidente de su Federación, Justino Compean.

Estoy "muy contento porque la reunión se llevó a cabo en un ambiente de amistad, comprensión y de disculpas, estuvo el doctor (Nicolás) Leoz (titular de la Confederación Sudamericana) y los 10 presidentes de las diferentes asociaciones de la Conmebol", explicó Compeán, quien se encuentra en Las Bahamas en el Congreso de la FIFA.

El acuerdo supone la entrada directa de las Chivas de Guadalajara y San Luis, que este año dejaron la Copa Libertadores porque sus rivales en octavos de final se negaron a jugar en México por temor al contagio de gripe A, más la participación de tres equipos más en la primera fase.

"Llegamos a un muy buen acuerdo, respetar lo que se había ganado, Chivas y San Luis entran desde octavos de final. Tenemos la oportunidad de tener a México 1, México 2 y el repechaje, es decir, podríamos tener a cinco equipos en Copa Libertadores", mencionó.

Hasta la edición de 2008, México clasificaba directamente a dos equipos a la fase de grupos de la Libertadores y un tercero competía por otro boleto en la primera fase del torneo continental.

"Lo importante era respetar lo que ya se había ganado en la cancha", apuntó Compean al comentar a la radio el acuerdo que la FMF tuvo con la Conmebol en el marco del congreso de la FIFA en Nassau.

El dirigente mexicano confirmó que el Monterrey y el Puebla competirán en la Copa Sudamericana y que él mismo asistirá al sorteo que la Conmebol celebrará en julio próximo.

Además que "Monterrey y Puebla están en Sudamericana, ya nos hicieron la invitación a Copa América de Argentina 2011 junto con Japón seremos los países invitados. El tres de julio será el sorteo de la Sudamericana en Argentina".

"Estamos contentos porque la reunión tuvo un ambiente muy agradable, de amistad, de comprensión, de disculpas", expresó el directivo.

Compeán señaló que también se platicó sobre cuestiones económicas, así como la posibilidad de que se celebre el partido de vuelta de una final, de Libertadores o Sudamericana, en suelo mexicano.

"Vamos a analizar en detalle la cuestión económica y lo de las finales en México, hay la mejor disposición de ellos, y que los árbitros mexicanos puedan aumentar la participación, tendremos frecuentes conversaciones con ellos", sentenció.

Reconoció que existió mucho interés por parte de los patrocinadores y de la televisora que transmite los torneos sudamericanos para que se resolviera esta situación.

"Obviamente patrocinadores y televisoras tenían que ver en un evento tan importante como la Copa Santander Libertadores, Sudamericana y América, es por ello que todos querían que este asunto se arreglara, la intención de todos sumó para que la reunión resultara muy positiva", estableció.

Finalmente, comentó que en el 2010 expira el contrato con Soccer United Marketing para seguir realizando el Torneo Interliga, a través del cual los equipos buscan su boleto a la Copa Libertadores.

"Para el 2010 terminamos ahí el contrato con Soccer United Marketing (SUM), tuvimos una reunión con ellos, analizamos los ocho años que llevamos con ellos, nos harán una propuesta para continuarlo, la cual analizaremos", concluyó.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Volverá a la Copa Libertadores con cinco equipos, dos más de los que tiene ahora, afirmó el presidente de su Federación, Justino Compean.
5 Mexican Teams in the Next Libertadores ?????? Is Leoz overdosing again ?????

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Confirman a Argentina como sede de la Copa América 2011

Argentina gets Copa America 2011 !!!!!!!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 21:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

June 3, 2009

FIFA nets $184M profit in 2008

The Associated Press

NASSAU, Bahamas -- The global economic downturn is not hurting soccer's governing body.

FIFA said Wednesday that it turned a $184 million profit in 2008, remaining 13 percent under its own budget and not losing any money on assets during the year. FIFA collected $957 million in revenue, mostly off additional television and marketing deals struck for the 2010 World Cup.

FIFA had $773 million in expenses, avoiding what deputy secretary general Markus Kattner called "extraordinary legal costs" such as the $90 million payout that credit card giant MasterCard was owed the previous year in a settlement regarding sponsorship of the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

FIFA currently lists about $1.6 billion in assets.

Later Wednesday, members of FIFA's Congress overwhelmingly approved the organization's 2010 budget, which includes about $1.1 billion in expenses, more than half related to operational costs for the World Cup in South Africa.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2009, 10:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Argentina strikes deal with govt to broadcast games

BUENOS AIRES, Aug 18 (Reuters) -

The Argentine soccer federation approved a deal with the government on Tuesday to broadcast games free on television, a week after it tore up a contract with a private cable TV provider.

The start of the country’s soccer season has been delayed due to a financial crisis that drove the Argentine Football Association (AFA) to scrap its previous multimillion dollar deal because the broadcaster refused to pay more for the television rights.

However, AFA said in a statement that its executive committee had approved a plan “for games to be broadcast free on non-cable television.” It said the details had yet to be defined, but that the season would begin at the weekend.

The agreement marks the latest in a string of government moves to increase state control of various economic sectors.

Media speculation of a deal between the AFA and President Cristina Fernandez in recent days has drawn criticism from the opposition, which says her foray into football smacks of populism and is politically motivated.

The previous broadcast contract was held by the TSC media group—a partnership between TyC sports broadcaster media conglomerate Clarin , whose daily newspaper has been increasingly critical of her government.

Argentina’s soccer season had been due to start on Aug. 14 but AFA chiefs halted it after the union representing footballers said clubs owed players about $8 million.

The global financial crisis has forced Argentine clubs to sell players to Europe for a fraction of years past, although fans accuse some clubs of bad management.

AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo said the first games of the season would now take place on Friday.

“The channels that will broadcast the games and the times that this will happen will be decided at a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday),” he told reporters.

Local media had reported the government would have to spend around $150 million to screen the games on state television, but Cherquis Bialo said the state would not have to put up any money.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:29
Legend

Peru takes steps to arrest its decline

http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/...es_288162.html
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2009, 16:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Boy., are they in trouble !!!!!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old December 17th, 2009, 10:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

South American Dispatch: Lionel Messi Pays Respect To Estudiantes

Tim Sturtridge, Goal.com

The first Argentine to win the Ballon d’Or was quick to point out that he does not expect Saturday’s Club World Cup final between Barcelona and Estudiantes to be an easy game.

Lionel Messi identified the quality of the Estudiantes’ team which booked their place in the final on Tuesday with a 2-1 win over Pohang Steelers of South Korea.

Speaking after his own team’s semi-final win over Mexican outfit Atlante the pint-sized striker revealed that he expects a very tight game when he lines up against Estudiantes at the weekend.

“It is not just Veron who has class, when we play Estudiantes we will face a great team with very good players.” Messi said.

Messi’s relationship with Veron on the pitch will be key to Argentina’s World Cup hopes next year and the two are also close friends off the pitch. Messi revealed that he will be sending Veron a good luck message in the build up to Saturday’s final.

The Barcelona man was also full of praise for Atlante, who provided a far sterner test for the Catalan outfit than may expected.

“We knew today was going to be a challenge we had to get through. Atlante are here for a reason, they have a very good team.” Messi added.

The Argentine striker complained of a little pain in his ankle after the game in which he returned from injury, coming off the bench to score. Messi said he was thankful that he now has three days to recover before facing Estudiantes in the final.

Palmeiras Snap Up Highly Rated Stopper Danilo Larangera

Palmeiras have signed up the young talented centre-back Danilo Larangera after the player impressed during a year-long loan from Atletico-PR.

The Verdao were forced to stump up the €1 million transfer fee to secure the player’s services for next year and have agreed to share 20% of any future transfer fee with Atletico-PR.

Although Danilo Larangera was on loan last season he was handed the captain’s armband by Mano Menezes after impressing with his displays at the back. The defender featured in 64 of Palmeiras’ 71 games last year and interest in the player has already been registered by Liverpool and Fiorentina.

Despite last season ending with Palmeiras missing out on a spot in next year’s Copa Libertadores, Danilo Larangera insisted he is over the moon after making his move to the Sao Paulo side a permanent one.

“Palmeiras is already my home. Even without winning titles this year and the problems the team has faced I have learned to love the club with all my body and soul.” Danilo Larangera said. “People know that I do not talk about these things before they happen but I really wanted these negotiations to be successful.”

Danilo Larangera and his Palmeiras team-mates will have to make do with battling for the Copa Sudamericana, Copa du Brasil and the league title next year after missing out on the Copa Libertadores.

“Palmeiras are a team who have a proud history of winning and the players want to carry on in this spirit next year.” Danilo Larangera added. “We do not enter competitions just to compete, we come always to win and that is how it will be in 2010.”

How Much Does That Brazilian Costa?

The paper talk surrounding Douglas Costa of Gremio and a move to Manchester United seems to have been a mere disguise for the real destination of the talented midfielder.

The firm interest in the player is from Shakhtar Donetsk of Ukraine and the negotiations, which started in early December, appear to be reaching a conclusion.

The fee is believed to be in the region of €7 million for half of the player’s registration with Gremio hopeful of a further windfall once the player does his magic in Europe.

“To be honest, I’m still not aware of the club president’s valuation of the player but I think he has told Shakhtar that the offer is not enough.” Costa’s agent Cezar Bottega said. “I believed an increased proposal could be on it’s way in the next few days.”

As well as Manchester United firm interest in the player appears to have come from Lille, Villarreal and Tigres of Mexico according to Gremio president Duda Koreff.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2010, 10:20 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Maradona planning TV, Internet channel

MEXICO CITY (AP)

—Diego Maradona is preparing to launch his own television and Internet channel.

A company identified as On & Off Holdings said Thursday the launch will take place next week, though it offered few details and did not say exactly where or when the channel could be viewed. It did not explain the format.

Maradona has been widely criticized as the coach of Argentina, which struggled to qualify for this year’s World Cup in South Africa. However, he is no stranger to television. In 2005 his Argentine talk show “La Noche del 10 (The Night of the No. 10)” soared to unexpected popularity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in