LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2008, 11:46 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Conmebol Level/News-Stories 2008

2/16/2008 9:29 AM

Corinthians Fans Vote Tévez As Their Best Ever Striker

Supporters of Brazilian side Corinthians have come out in force to vote Carlos Tévez as the best striker in the club's history by a landslide margin.

Corinthians are closing in on their 5,000th competitive game and as part of their coverage of this momentous occasion, Brazil sports paper Lance! ran a poll on their website, asking for supporters to vote for the best striker ever to play for the club.

The results were surprising, with Tévez taking a massive 41.24% of the vote, ahead of greats such as Viola and Casagrande. The club's all-time top goalscorer Cláudio only received a very small percentage of the vote.

Although the results are clearly swayed by the likely youth of those who voted in the online-only poll, it is nevertheless significant that an Argentine has come out on top considering the fierce rivalry between the two countries.

The supporters' love for Tévez comes from his excellent performances in the MSI-funded team that won the Brazilian championship in 2005. He won the Brazilian League's player of the year award, becoming the first foreign player since 1976 to do so.

Corinthians living-legend Sócrates predicted that Tévez would go on to be considered as one of the greats of the club and his prophecy now looks to have come true.

"He can surely become one of the historical ídols of the club," he said in 2005.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old February 29th, 2008, 14:21 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Real Madrid accused of approach to 15-year-old Brazilian

45 minutes ago

RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 29 (Reuters) - Brazilian club Vasco da Gama have accused Real Madrid of making an offer to 15-year-old player Philippe Coutinho and say they are reporting the matter to world soccer’s governing body FIFA.

“Real Madrid went to the player’s family and made very tempting but illegal offers,” Vasco president Eurico Miranda told reporters.

“We have reported Real Madrid to FIFA and the CBF (Brazilian Football Confederation) for their approach to Philippe Coutinho.”

“Coutinho is only 15 and the FIFA rules are clear, transfers abroad are only allowed for 18-year-olds.”

Miranda said Real had offered a job to the player’s father and the chance to live abroad.

“They try to get around the law by taking those responsible for the player to live and work abroad. They offer a job to the father and take the player. But they’re not doing that here at Vasco,” he said.

Real were not immediately available for comment on Miranda’s statements.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2008, 10:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Conmebol says its ok for games OTHER than National Teams, to play in the HIGHER Altitudes ....

So....Libertadores remains the SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2008, 10:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Maradona scuffles with TV reporters

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—

Former soccer star Diego Maradona threw a wild punch and some insults at a crush of television reporters who crowded him Wednesday as he left a courthouse following an arbitration hearing with his former manager.

Maradona and Guillermo Coppola, who have been enmeshed in a legal dispute over past business dealings, were summoned to appear at a hearing. But chaos ensued when Maradona left and local photographers and journalists chased him.

Live television showed Maradona and his former wife, Claudia Villafane, as they tried to escape through a crowd of journalists. Maradona was heard to shout: “Don’t push Claudia.”

With camera crews and reporters surrounding him, Maradona was seen throwing a punch that apparently missed. There were no reports of injuries, but Maradona can be heard on video complaining: “They hit me with a camera!”

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 13:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

30 / 05 / 2008

La CONMEBOL aprobó un cambio de fecha en el partido de revancha de la Recopa VISA Sudamericana 2008 que protagonizarán los equipos argentinos Arsenal y Boca Juniors. Los juegos serán el 13 y el 27 de agosto.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Boca furious :frustrat:as 20-year-old leaves after one match

BUENOS AIRES, July 1 (Reuters)

- Boca Juniors midfielder Sebastian Nayar’s decision to leave after playing only one game to negotiate a deal with a European club has provoked an angry reaction from the Argentine club.

The news has stoked the controversy over the export of young South American players to European clubs and Boca president Pedro Pompilio said he would protest to soccer’s governing body FIFA.

“We will present the contract which runs until 2012 and is registered with AFA (the Argentina Football Association),” he told the TyC Sports channel on Tuesday.

Argentine media said that Nayar, whose played for just over one hour against Racing Club in his only professional appearance in May, was negotiating with Spanish club Recreativo Huelva.

“I would like to have stayed and shown the public that I could have been the team’s number five,” the 20-year-old Nayar told the same channel.

“I’ve taken the decision because I have an important opportunity. The train only passes once and when it comes along, you have to get on.

“In January, I had a chance to leave and Boca did not let me.

“Then, an offer came up from the Netherlands and Boca put a $6 million price tag on me. It’s too much for a player who has played only one senior game.”

South American soccer suffers from a huge talent drain and nearly all of the continent’s top players are based in Europe.

Last year, River Plate president Jose Maria Aguilar said FIFA’s rule that players could not be transferred internationally until they reached the age of 18 was routinely being broken.

“The way it happens is a club from a Spanish city contracts a woman to cook and by coincidence she has a 14-year-old football genius son,” he told Reuters in an interview.

“They are stealing our players.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in