Semifinal #1 Uruguay Vs Brasil - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 214 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2007, 23:27 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Semifinal #1 Uruguay Vs Brasil

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Uruguay plays JUST like Vs Venezuela in the 2nd half..and The Brazucas could be dead.....

And Havelange having coronaries in Leoz closet (That's where he normally hides !!!) :dielaugh:

Im sticking with Uruguay YET another notch....I dont dislike them as much as I do Brazil (And last nites result HAS nothing to do with my feelings, my dislike for the Brazilian Nats go all they way back that I can remember)

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2007, 23:37
Premier Player

Teams: SPAIN, VENEZUELA, REAL MADRID
The game will end up like 15-0, but could be either way, if this cup remains as strange as it is now.

Siete estrellas es más bonito.

.........................................:st ar:

............................................ ...

............................................ ......
post #3 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 01:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Waterpolo perhaps ????????

post #4 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 01:54
Premier Player

Teams: SPAIN, VENEZUELA, REAL MADRID
I think I will cheer the soretes just to piss off colocolo.

Siete estrellas es más bonito.

.........................................:st ar:

............................................ ...

............................................ ......
post #5 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 01:57
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Uruguay will have no chance in this,
I mean.. unless they are extremly solid and aggressive..
I see brazil a easy 3-0 victory.
post #6 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 09:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Time and date please ...... the game that is ...

post #7 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 14:17
WFA
Rei Brasileiro
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Brasil NT, Palmeiras
July 10 same time as usual...
I think Brasil will squeek something out of this game. If we score first, then we will win 3-0, kinda like against Chile when it was a "close 3-0 game". If Uruguay score first, then I expect us going to PKs to win it

Where were you when we lost 1-7?
post #8 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 15:45
Legend

Teams: Milan l'è on gran Milan
Both teams have been very inconsistent throughout so predicting a scoreline is even harder than usual.
So I will just go with a Brazil win.
post #9 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 19:31
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
I dont dislike them as much as I do Brazil (And last nites result HAS nothing to do with my feelings, my dislike for the Brazilian Nats go all they way back that I can remember)

we understand, getting ****ed constantly by Brasil must have left some deep scars through the years.
post #10 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 19:35
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit
we understand, getting ****ed constantly by Brasil must have left some deep scars through the years.
There was a time in which a statement like this by a brazilian fan would have never ever be heard, because it was simply superfluous.
Shows you how the rest of the world has almost managed to catch up to Brazil, and this can only be good for the sport.
post #11 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 19:39
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
Quote:
C'mon AxelFoley....get your swear words out...and start insulting this character .....

I only saw the game against venezuela and they were
outplayed constantly.

If they play anywhere near that standard,
It will be sad to watch.
post #12 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 20:09
Rising Star

Teams: Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudiu-
I only saw the game against venezuela and they were
outplayed constantly.

If they play anywhere near that standard,
It will be sad to watch.
Uh, whci game vs Venezuela? The one in 2001 or 2004? You can't possible mean any of the past 2 games.

1st game was hardly even a match, no one was playing good, no one was playing bad. It was just a "0-0 and we're in" game. If you're alking about the game in which we won 4-1, please I beg you, stop using those drugs. It's bad for you
post #13 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 21:27 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

7/9/2007

Copa América Semi-Final Preview: Uruguay - Brazil

What: Copa América Venezuela 2007 Semi-Final F1

Who: Uruguay (LWD, W), Brazil (LWW, W)

When: 10/07/2007 (Tuesday) 21:50 (Venezuela), 01:50 CET
(Wednesday 11/07/07)

Where: Jose Pachencho Romero Stadium, Maracaibo, Venezuela

The first semi-final of the Copa América Venezuela 2007 wil take place at the Estadio Jose Pachencho Romero between Uruguay and Brazil. Rated one of the best stadiums in Venezuela, the 1971 42,000 capacity venue (remodelled in 1998) for Tuesday’s semi-final will also be the scene for the Final which will determine this edition’s champs on Sunday.

Both nations are no strangers to success in the South American trophy, although, perhaps to the surprise of some readers, Uruguay have exactly doubled Brazil’s triumphs. The Celeste (Sky Blues) have won no les than 14 times (a feat only equalled by Argentina’s Albiceleste), whereas the Seleção have bagged seven trophies so far.

The Uruguayan Copa América record is impressive. As in World Cup terms Uruguay began harvesting the silverware earlier than Brazil by winning the first two editions and have only conspicuously struck out in one decade – the seventies. The last win came 12 years ago…against Brazil (Uruguayan Triumphs 1916, 1917, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1935, 1942, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1983, 1987, 1995).

Brazil have found themselves runners-up eleven times, hoisting the Copa just seven times, although the Seleção have had more modern success than a Uruguay who have, with few exceptions, petered out after the early golden years. The Canarinha (Little Canary) has flown high since 1989, winning four of their seven titles and being runners-up in 1991 and 1995 (to Uruguay).

The first Brazil triumphs date way back to 1919 and 1922 before a long drought ended in 1949, followed by an even longer sojourn in the wilderness that was only ended in 1989; the start of the recent streak of Seleção successes. Both nations have met three times in Finals, 1919 and 1995 seeing Brazil downed by Uruguay, but Brazil finally beating their nemesis in Paraguay eight years ago (1999).

As far as the present edition goes, Brazil have the better record with an initial draw being bettered by three straight wins. Uruguay had a rockier start with a defeat being balanced by a win and then a draw seeing the brakes screech before the quarter-final win over hosts Venezuela lifted the Celeste to face the Canarinha once more in a South American Classic.

BRAZIL

Dunga’s Brazil may have only suffered a single setback so far, but the team has only just started to get its act together after a shaky start. Few fans have been convinced by performances that relied more on the errors of opponents and the individual inspiration of Robinho right up until the quarter-final stage.

In part this has been due to the lack of time that the team has had to fuse together into a unit made up of players capable of real mutual understanding on the pitch. Strangely enough it’s been the last arrival – Robinho, turning up after helping Real Madrid bag La Liga in Spain – who’s been Dunga’s saviour rather than those who have been listening to the Coach for longer.

Coming to head the coaching staff in the wake of a total failure of his (over) cerebral 1994 boss Carlos Alberto Parreira, Dunga hasn’t managed to bring Brazil to the elite ‘special forces’ unit that he promised when taking up the post. His mission was to snap the ‘high heels’ off a side that had let club success and stratospheric club salaries overcome national pride. Ironically his neck has been saved by a star (Robinho) rather than the Brazil-based hopes he’d said he would bring in.

On the bright side, the last game saw others getting on the scoresheet. Juan – a solid performer throughout the Copa – culminated a Dunga fave: the corner-header combo that accounted for over half Brazil’s goal since the World Cup. São Paulo midfielder Josué – one of the few Brazil-based players to find a place on the pitch, Júlio Baptista – coming back after a so-so brace of post-Sevilla seasons – and Vágner Love getting their first goals.

Nevertheless it’s Robinho whose star is now set to shine ever-brighter at national level. The number 11 has now scored six goals in this Copa América – only two short of equalling Pelé’s Seleção record of eight strikes. The odds on him going even further than O Rei (The King) have now shortened significantly and many see this as his Copa.

Despite no less than nine of the goals being banged in against a Chile that was, frankly, as soft as baby excrement, Brazil can count on a whopping goal difference. Even though Mexico pumped two past the Seleção in their drab and panicky debut, a +8 goal difference is a commendable morale-boost for the Brazilians as they face their first real challenge after Mexico.

Dunga has replaced the weary look of one waiting for a CBF boot on his backside for a new feeling that he may be about to be vindicated despite the lack of enthusiasm in his work that most Brazilians still express. The Coach can see the pieces that he has painstakingly put together over the past year fall into place despite the conspicuous absence of Kaká and Ronaldinho.

"Our game is flowing more now. As the matches have gone on it has been clear than the synchronicity between the players has been growing and growing", explained Dunga, although he refused to confirm one particular line-up as a winning formula. "Every player is important, and every one will have his chance. We’re getting to find the ideal line-up bit-by-bit", he stressed.

Dunga also went on to defend the use of up to four holding midfielders at times, something that hasn’t gone down well back home in a Brazil that wants to see flair rather than a belt-and-braces (US suspenders) approach. Using Gilberto Silva, Josué, Mineiro and a more conservatively fielded Júlio Baptista (as per his São Paulo FC days) together has raised some hackles in Brazil.

Nevertheless the Coach was newly confident that he knows what he is doing. “A victory like this [against Chile] always brings confidence and the confirmation that just because some people are complaining we shouldn’t change our approach”, jabbed Dunga, a strong proponent of the view that in modern football there needs to be strong marking by all midfielders.

“People need to remember that football has evolved. It’s not the same as it was in 1970 and our team reflects a modern trend, not just this coaching staff’s opinion”, Dunga reminded his detractors. As to opponents Uruguay, Dunga described the Charrúa side as a "a team that comes from a long and proud tradition, a national side that always rises to the challenge in knockout tournaments."

Seleção assistant and fellow 1994 World Cup winner Jorginho also added that the current rise towards more convincing wins is the fruit of planning over the past year. “The key thing has been the physical side, partly because we haven’t had the time we’d like to go into the technical and tactical sides in more depth, but it’s been a clear evolution”, he explained.

He also put the anchors on any premature ‘Oba Oba’ (Brazilian euphoria) that may be a stumbling block. “We’re very happy but not getting carried away – and we mustn’t. There are still two high hurdles in our way and we must clear those first before even considering any celebrations”, Jorginho warned.

Jorginho commented on the opponents as well as the possibility that Juan and Gilberto Silva could miss out on a hypothetical Final if they see yellow on Tuesday. “Uruguay are a strong side and if we go onto the pitch worried about what may come later then things just won’t work. We just have to play calmly – as we usually aim to do.”

Maicon was praised by Seleção sawbones José Luís Runco and physiotherapist Odir de Souza for an attitude that reflects Dunga’s ‘warrior’ ideals. “With real sacrifice and dedication Maicon managed to get over his injury and play an important part in the win [over Chile]”, stressed the doctor.

The player is till in treatment to make sure that Dunga can count on his right-back of choice in the Celeste game on Tuesday. His attitude is seen as a positive yet silent message for the rest of the squad, and players are starting to really believe in their chances – despite the still lukewarm comments from press and public back in Brazil.

Júlio Baptista stood up for himself as not just the defensive player most Brazilians remember. “I think that people in Brazil only really remember me as a holding midfielder. My characteristics have changed since leaving Brazil [for Spain and then England]. I’m now more of an all-round midfielder”, underlined the player.

Robinho and Love are expecting to face a tough test against Uruguayan centre-back Diego Lugano in the match. The Charrúa Captain came to prominence as a key member of the São Paulo FC team that landed the 2005 Libertadores Cup (South America’s equivalent of the Champions League) as well as the FIFA CWC (Club World Cup) against Liverpool in Tokyo.

Brazilian number 9 Vágner Love, an ex-Palmeiras striker, is looking forward to meeting the ex-São Paulo idol for the first time. “I never actually played against him. The only time we could have met on the field [in Brazil] I was benched, but I think that it’s going to be a fierce duel with Lugano”, explained Vágner Love, joking that “I just hope he doesn’t pull my hair!”, flicking his tranças (cornrow dreads).

Robinho is conscious that the Seleção are facing a dangerous adversary at a critical time – when confirmation could so easily turn into failure. “Knockout rounds are really tricky and Uruguay is a far more complicated rival than Chile”, stressed the striker. “On the plus side we are starting to really feel like a team in our bones as we’ve now had the time that we lacked before the Copa started.”

Dunga was also alert to the increased challenge ahead. “We have to raise the bar from the performances we gave against Chile and show that we mean business from the second the game gets underway – although not by losing balance. That balance in all three lines [defence, midfield and attack] is critical to our final success”, explained the Coach.

URUGUAY

Uruguay have had a rocky ride through the Copa so far, 28 year-old Diego Forlán being the Celeste top scorer – although paling into comparison with Robinho in terms of effectiveness in front of goal. Nevertheless, the ex-Villarreal and Manchester United man has the ability to shoulder the burden of responsibility when it really counts…although can worrying disappear at times.

The recent Forlán brace was supplemented by a Pablo García goal and another from number 7 Cristian Rodríguez, turning Mallorca man Juan Arango’s goal into cold comfort for eliminated hosts Venezuela. Diego Forlán has been seen by Coach Oscar Tabárez as a more solid bet up front than Alvaro Recoba as the hugely talented (yet injury-prone) Inter man has lacked the sort of minutes that makes Forlán a keener blade up front.

Despite the fact that the 31 year-old Recoba has been a minor character at Inter Milan, many feel that Tabárez should give the axis with Forlán another starting chance (they both played in the first eleven in the rather anaemic showing against Bolivia) if damage is to be done to a more confident Brazil. All things point towards El Chino (now dyed blond after beating Venezuela) being given the chance against Brazil

Forlán’s recent partner in attack has been Deportivo La Coruña forward Fabián Estoyanoff (Monaco’s Vargas being his habitual sub), but he has hardly been a great foil for the Atlético Madrid man. Toluca man Sánchez (who scored the winner against Bolivia) and Danubio’s González are both potentially in the running for a place in the sun, although the European-based names have a better chance of getting a starting nod.

So far in the current Copa, keeper Carini and midfielders Rodriguez and Russo Perez (Monaco) have earned more applause than the front line. This is clearly a symptom that all is not well with the Celeste attack although it would be foolish to write off players of such high calibre – especially in a knockout round.

Other players who should come into their own – or face a damning tide of criticism – are in a rearguard that will probably be bombarded mercilessly by the Seleção. Fenerbahçe’s Diego Lugano and Real Madrid offcuts Carlos Diogo (Real Zaragoza) and Pablo García (on loan to minnows Murcia after being relegated with Celta) all have more to offer than they have been doing in Venezuela.

Players with such a high cache and experience of top-flight competition should rally against Brazil, although Carlos Diogo has shown a worrying tendency towards fisticuffs with Brazilians and Pablo García hasn’t recovered the great play that brought him a Merengue offer while at Osasuna. Lugano, however, has experience of Brazilian play and was crowned 2007 Turkish Super League Champion with Zico’s Fenerbahçe.

60 year-old Coach Oscar Tabárez is between a rock and a hard place as he faces Brazil, the man who coached Boca Juniors, Vélez Sársfield and AC Milan – as well as Uruguay in Italia 1990 – being criticised for making the Celeste play with a fusty outmoded air. Despite having a great line-up he’s keen on making Uruguay the rank outsiders…many feeling that he’s doing little but paving the way for an embarrassing defeat.

“Uruguay cannot be considered favourites to continue at the Copa América”, he began with perhaps a tad too much sincerity, “but what we do have is a great tradition in this tournament and I have a squad of capable men who can deal with adverse situations. There are no secrets in football and that’s why I ask my men to go out there and do their best”, Tabárez explained recently as elimination in the group phase rumbled ominously.

He seems to have gained succour from the win over Venezuela, stating to Montevideo daily El Pais that “Another Copa América begins now”, although that’s al the online edition puts…and almost at the bottom of the front page: a sign that an imminent elimination of the joint leading trophy winners is on the cards? The woefully poorly updated paper doesn’t say, beyond seeing Uruguay attacking with a 3-4-3 and defending with a 5-3-2 formation.

More ample news comes from Montevideo’s other large daily La Republica. After leaving San Cristóbal for Maracaibo, the Celeste had a light training session, the only injured absence being holding midfielder Diego Pérez, although he’s expected to recover in time to face Brazil. The players themselves seemed relaxed and reinvigorated – perhaps free of the pressure to win that may weigh the Seleção down.

The last time both met in the semi-finals of the Copa América was in Peru 2004, almost exactly three years ago, Brazil going through 5-3 after the 1-1 match went to spot kicks in Lima. More hope comes from remembering 1995, a 5-3 triumph (also on penalties) sealing the fourteenth Celeste triumph at a Copa América.

Diego Forlán feels a hell of a lot better after breaking his duck with the brace against Venezuela. "I’m a lot calmer now that I’ve beaten the ‘curse’ and scored twice. I just wish to carry on along the same lines with my team-mates and win the Copa América". Diego Lugano sees a growing stability in Uruguay that has come at the perfect moment.

"Our main virtue is concentration and we also applied pressure at just the right times without taking too many risks. We did make some mistakes, missing some good chances, but nobody can doubt that we deserved to win – and did so in style", emphasised the Captain.

Pablo García pooh-poohed those who say that the Celeste is outdated. "Uruguayan football is still great football and, although we respect our opponents [Brazil] they have to respect us as well."

First Elevens (Unconfirmed)

URUGUAY (3-4-3/5-3-2): Fabián Carini; Andrés Scotti, Diego Lugano and Darío Rodríguez; Maximiliano Pereira, Jorge Fucile, Diego Pérez, Pablo García and Cristhian Rodríguez; Diego Forlán and Alvaro Recoba (Estoyanoff)

Coach: Oscar Tabárez

BRAZIL (4-4-2): Doni; Maicon (Daniel Alves), Juan, Alex, Gilberto (Kléber); Gilberto Silva, Josué (Elano), Mineiro and Júlio Baptista; Robinho and Vágner Love

Coach: Dunga

Players To Watch

Following great reader response, instead of the habitual choice of one player for each team, Goal.com throws open the forum for readers to choose a player – for one side or one for either side – who they feel will make the difference in Tuesday’s clash…and why.

APM

post #14 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 21:30 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit
That HAS never been my reason...My reason goes back to the hey days of Havelange and how EVEN to this date HE makes Sure Blatter and all the Jester's in FIFA arrange it so that Brazil ALWAYS walks on feather pillows ............ !!!!!

That is where my dislike began .... The whole world knows it..Brazilians deny it !!!

post #15 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 21:55
Star Player

Quote:
That HAS never been my reason...My reason goes back to the hey days of Havelange and how EVEN to this date HE makes Sure Blatter and all the Jester's in FIFA arrange it so that Brazil ALWAYS walks on feather pillows ............ !!!!!

That is where my dislike began .... The whole world knows it..Brazilians deny it !!!

Havelange has always helped Brasil , that's why we have 5 world cups.
You know, since during his presidency (74 to 98) , We won a record 1 of 7 world cups. Argentina won 2 times, the so called Havelange enemy.

You hate so much Brasil, that you said COMMEBOL, FIFA, whatever, made sure Brasil and Argentina did not face untill the final of this Copa America. When reasonable fans know that Venezuela (Commebol) made the groups in order that Brasil would face Argentina in the semis, cause they expected Brasil and Argentina to top their groups. Since Brazil got second place, we can see a Brasil x Argentina final.

All this Havelange bull**** that you have is cause you are an Argentina *** kisser and that bull**** started with some Argies, because they could not accept Germany was just better than them in 1990 and Maradona used an illegal substance in 1994. Yep, It was all Havelange's fault.

Last edited by brasileiro; July 9th, 2007 at 22:30.
post #16 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 22:03
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmilan1
There was a time in which a statement like this by a brazilian fan would have never ever be heard, because it was simply superfluous.
Shows you how the rest of the world has almost managed to catch up to Brazil, and this can only be good for the sport.

Funny, knowing that we won 2 of the last 4 world cups (3 finals) , 3 of the last 4 copa Americas (the last won with a complete B team).
It's still superfluous, my friend. The teams who can challenge Brasil supermacy are the same ones who could decades ago : Italy, Germany, Argentina (greatest rival, they know it , we know it) , France (last 20 years ), Uruguay(always a tough game) and so on.

Before last world cup, we were gods. Threads like "Who can really stop Brasil?" and post like Brasil is too dominant, can make 5 teams that can win the World Cup. Now Brasil is declining, are not so great, average are the words we see here. All because we have a dumb coach, and we might even win this Copa America with such a crap coach ( I doubt it, I think we will lose to Uruguay or Argentina, cause of Dunga). Funny again.
post #17 of 214 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2007, 22:42
Rising Star

Teams: Uruguay
Quote:
7/9/2007

He seems to have gained succour from the win over Venezuela, stating to Montevideo daily El Pais that “Another Copa América begins now”, although that’s al the online edition puts…and almost at the bottom of the front page: a sign that an imminent elimination of the joint leading trophy winners is on the cards? The woefully poorly updated paper doesn’t say, beyond seeing Uruguay attacking with a 3-4-3 and defending with a 5-3-2 formation.

He said that after the TIE versus Venezuela. This article is poorly written, what a joke.
post #18 of 214 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 01:42
Star Player

uruguay will win.
post #19 of 214 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 02:12
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasileiro
Funny, knowing that we won 2 of the last 4 world cups (3 finals) , 3 of the last 4 copa Americas (the last won with a complete B team).
It's still superfluous, my friend. The teams who can challenge Brasil supermacy are the same ones who could decades ago : Italy, Germany, Argentina (greatest rival, they know it , we know it) , France (last 20 years ), Uruguay(always a tough game) and so on.

Before last world cup, we were gods. Threads like "Who can really stop Brasil?" and post like Brasil is too dominant, can make 5 teams that can win the World Cup. Now Brasil is declining, are not so great, average are the words we see here. All because we have a dumb coach, and we might even win this Copa America with such a crap coach ( I doubt it, I think we will lose to Uruguay or Argentina, cause of Dunga). Funny again.
You are proving EXACTLY my point.
There is no need for Brazil to go on a rant of how great they are while having to put other teams down at the same time. 5 WC wins and counting should be more than enough, the extra asshole touch to finish sentences off (not that you personally do this) is simply unnecessary.
Everyone knows that in football Brazil is the measuring stick.
Now, to relate a bit more to this topic, WC's per capita Uruguay simply rocks the hell out of everyone. (1WC per every 1.73 million people )
post #20 of 214 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2007, 03:40
BANNED!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Tricolor Paulista
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmilan1
the extra asshole touch to finish sentences off (not that you personally do this) is simply unnecessary.
when a chileno needs to use another NT to beat us its never unnecessary. And I make brasileiros words mine, saying our adversaries are closing in is as miope as never, even at our worst we still manage to go further than 99% of nations at their best,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in