European 'Cradle Robbers' Target 12-year-old Argentinian - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 15:14 Thread Starter
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
European 'Cradle Robbers' Target 12-year-old Argentinian

It's in today's Globo:

The European clubs' relentless search for talented foreigners to replace their domestic mediocrities respects no age limits. On the contrary: the younger the better, as is the case with Argentinian Martin Acevedo, a mere 12-year-old who is still climbing Boca Juniors' youth divisions. He participated in one match in Spain and now he's coveted by Atletico Madrid. Her already wore Atletico's shirt and announced that he'd like to play with his compatriot Sergio "Kun" Aguero.

To try and hold on to the Argentinian club's revelation, Boca's president Mauricio Macri went looking for the child's parents, who are tempted to trade Benos Aires for Madrid.
– I'm sad. The club works to form players, dreaming that they'll reach the First Division someday, but they leave long before they ever debut - lamented Macri, in an interview published by Argentinian newspaper "Clarin".

The club president mentioned that the kid's parents were offered "education, care and the chance to play for Boca, one of the biggest clubs in the world", but he didn't offer the parents jobs, as Atletico Madrid reportedly has.
– I understand the parents: suddenly a big club from a serious contry appears, wanting to take their son away and offering them jobs in exchange. It's interesting for the family - said Macri.

Martin Acevedo was taken to Spain by Alejandro Ruitiña, a friend of Sergio "Kun" Aguero. The boy participated in a mini-tournament involving the Catalunyan NT, Barcelona, Sevilla and Internazionale.

It's not the first case of premature transfer that Boca has to fight. The club faces a battle to make 19-year-old Oscar Trejo, who's already training with Mallorca, return to Argentina. He was selected for Boca's pre-season but decided to go to Europe.
– If things continue like this, the clubs that form players will disappear and I wonder where Europeans will get the players from – questioned Macri.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TWELVE f**kin' YEARS OLD?!?!? :thmbdown:

What's next? Offering contracts to kindergarten babies? Recruiting the sperm found in South Americans' condoms?!? And the pathethic thing is that later these shameless cradle-robbers will invite these kids to join their laughable National Teams, in a desperate attempt to raise those NTs above their usual mediocrity.

Really, it's becoming a joke. Signing professionals who are better than theirs is one thing, but this...! Something needs to be done to control this shameless plunder of younger-and-younger foreign talent that the Europeans are turning into a habit.

And in the end, Macri raises a good question. If the clubs that do form new talents stop doing so because all their investments are stolen by richer Yurp clubs, where WILL the Europeans get their players from?

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 15:47
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

This is something that has been going on for quite a while, and believe me, Europeans aren't all that happy about it either. Bringing in foreign talent reduces the opportunities for domestic youths in clubs, and that in turn creates an even greater need for players from abroad. So it becomes a vicious circle. Among the most vocal opponents of this practice are the likes of Cruijff and Beckenbauer, who believe in a strong national talent base and who see in this a possible (future) decline of the national teams.

Regardless of how laughable or mediocre they already are.

Clubs do it out of a desire to sign talent before someone else does, but they are not just competing against others, but against their own youth system as well. Yet, they don't seem to realize that.

Certainly for the youngsters themselves it often turns out to be a disappointing experience, when they find themselves far away from home and their friends and family. Especially at an early age that can be difficult to deal with.

There's a role for FIFA here to come up with a measure that would prevent similar practices in the future.

Mercedes bastard & Limburger-loving schmuck
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 16:18
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
So it becomes a vicious circle. Among the most vocal opponents of this practice are the likes of Cruijff and Beckenbauer, who believe in a strong national talent base and who see in this a possible (future) decline of the national teams.
But they are heading to nationalize them, or at least try: Messi, Forestieri, etc...which makes the picture even worse

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 16:27
Rising Star

Teams: River Plate & any team Ronaldo plays for
Make the age limit atleast 21-23. Makes transfers prices way higher because of more competition to sign them. More money for teams in South America. Better wages for South Americans, who knows, maybe they won't even have to go to europe in the future.
I'm sure if this could happen , our national teams would also be better.
I don't think Fifa should have to do anything, our south american teams must be smarter, what about conmebol?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 16:40 Thread Starter
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface
I don't think Fifa should have to do anything, our south american teams must be smarter, what about conmebol?
Forget FIFA - that organization always gives preferential treatment to European teams. Look at how they denied Romario's request to play for Vasco because it would've been his 3rd club this season, but they didn't deny Mascherano's request to play for Liverpool even though he was in the exact same situation.

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 17:44
Rising Star

Teams: River Plate & any team Ronaldo plays for
Oh ,no doubt. Also just look at how la Copa America is becoming just another mediocre tournament, it should be the most entertaining futbol in the world.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 20:09
Gracies, Turkiye!
Legend

Teams: Un Crit Valent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangio
But they are heading to nationalize them, or at least try: Messi, Forestieri, etc...which makes the picture even worse
Messi was a special case (which NT wouldn't try for him? p), Forestieri I'm not sure of but heard somewhere he is half-Italian though with his background in mind it would certainly make much more sence if he played for his childhood NT. These players want to look out for themselves and if they're native NT don't want them they'll look eslewhere. Anyway, thing is age isn't going to change much, Higuian is 20 soon and France still tried to cap him. The youth system of clubs is there to improve the first team and so are these 'cradle thefts' in the long run, atleast that's what the intention is. And now that Atleti are doing reasonably well, you Argies won't be rid of them now that they discovered the forumula of success p Or do you want Pernia back ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old February 1st, 2007, 20:12
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
disgraceful stuff from the Spanish teams, in England we are more responsible, we won't move a lad from home until he is 15.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:46
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Quote:
Messi was a special case (which NT wouldn't try for him? ), Forestieri I'm not sure of but heard somewhere he is half-Italian though with his background in mind it would certainly make much more sence if he played for his childhood NT. These players want to look out for themselves and if they're native NT don't want them they'll look eslewhere. Anyway, thing is age isn't going to change much, Higuian is 20 soon and France still tried to cap him. The youth system of clubs is there to improve the first team and so are these 'cradle thefts' in the long run, atleast that's what the intention is. And now that Atleti are doing reasonably well, you Argies won't be rid of them now that they discovered the forumula of success Or do you want Pernia back ?
Forestieri is half italian in Xtratime only, like Di stefano, Sivori, and if Diego wasn't a drug adict too, is like you seeing Messi as catalan, in that acse Remi is right that Guddy is even more Catalan...

Jokes apart? you really don't get the whole picture, and Messi is at least? some sort of rarity, and a bit of an oasis in the desert, and not only because of Euro clubs behaviour, Argie clubs too are acting irresponsible since long...there are kids, that ruined their lifes just for being pushed from one side to the other at a very early age, leaving aside even injuries that become cronic, etc...

And Boca in recent times loose Trejo, Garay (we had the option on him), Forestieri, and is said Insua (the kid, not the 20 sthg one)...from a long list, I hope doesn't join the pearl Boca has in Banegas.

And man argies might not be great many times as a team, but individually? from even a Camoranesi to a Trez, most of our players can grabe a place in any NT, and be sure the majority are seduced to join Euro NTs...in fact while Tocalli loose Forestieri, he saved two kids in Spain in Leganes and I don't recall which other team, that the spanniards were trying to nationalize.

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:21
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Higuain restates Argentina allegiance

AFP
February 2, 2007

MADRID (AFP) - Real Madrid's recent young recruit Gonzalo Higuain, the Argentinian striker who was called up by France, restated his allegiance to Argentina.

The 19-year-old Higuain, who holds French nationality, caused a stir in November when rejecting Raymond Domenech's call-up for a France friendly against Greece.

Higuain met up with Domenech in Madrid on January 26 and, during a press conference on Friday, reiterated his desire that his allegiance would remain with Argentina.

Higuain said of his meeting with Domenech: "We had a normal discussion, man to man. I told him how I felt and nothing more. The matter is closed. I haven't played games with anyone."

Explaining why he only wanted to play for Argentina, he added: "My life is over there. That's where my friends are. That does not mean I am not grateful towards France but it's an emotional thing that I want to play for Argentina."

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2007, 11:47
Xtratime Elite

Chelsea is after a 14 yrs old Bolivian too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:35
Xtratime Elite

Sporting of Lisbon signs 17 year old Paraguayan Luis Páez

27 / 03 / 2007

Sporting of Lisbon, has hired young 17 year old Paraguayan player Luis Páez, from Tacuary, according to information published today by sports journal "O Jogo". The newspaper says that Páez will arrive in Lisbon this week.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 21:21
Xtratime Elite

River president decries poaching of players

By Fiona Ortiz

BUENOS AIRES, May 25 (Reuters) - FIFA is not doing enough to prevent wealthy clubs from poaching young players from training schools in countries such as Argentina, the president of River Plate says.

Jose Maria Aguilar, a lawyer who has presided over River Plate for more than five years, said he and the Argentine Football Association had sent complaints and proposed changes to FIFA.

"The policy as it is doesn't go far enough, it should be much more severe," he told Reuters in an interview on Thursday.

Aguilar said FIFA's rule that players could not be transferred internationally until they reached the age of 18 was routinely being broken.

"The way it happens is a club from a Spanish city contracts a woman to cook and by coincidence she has a 14-year-old football genius son," he said. "They are stealing our players."

River invested huge amounts in training young players, he said.

Underneath the stands at River's Monumental Stadium in northern Buenos Aires, the club has a primary and secondary school, gymnasiums and a dining area. The club even has a hotel where potential future players from the provinces can live while training.

Aguilar said club trainers were looking at younger and younger boys, taking on children as young as eight in their schools.

DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME

Argentina is one of the richest sources of young players in the world and River are generally regarded as having one of the best youth development programmes in the country.

Javier Saviola, Pablo Aimar and Andres D'Alessandro are among the leading players River has sold to European teams.

Aguilar said he was staying put as River's president despite a dismal sequence of results that triggered a spate of fan violence, threats against his life and mountains of bad press.

The team have not won a championship for more than two years and were eliminated from the Libertadores Cup in the first round after humiliating home and away losses to Caracas FC of Venezuela.

The bad performances led coach Daniel Passarella to tell local reporters on Friday that he would step down in December if he did not turn things around.

"I'm undoubtedly going through my toughest moment as club president. But I'll recover when the club is back in order and we start to win a game," Aguilar said.

"It's not the right moment (to step down). I feel very backed up by the board of directors...in the fight against people who want my head."

The team's stadium has been closed for two games because of riots in the streets by angry fans after they lost to Estudiantes last weekend.

RIVAL GROUPS

It is the second suspension at the stadium this year due to violent clashes between rival groups within the club.

"River undoubtedly has a big problem. But we have the directors, the technical team, the players and we need to look to find out why we haven't reached our objectives," Aguilar said.

He said the club had spent $2 million to make the stadium more secure so that the courts would let them reopen.

River have spent a lot of money on luring players from other big teams but Aguilar said the team would now start prioritising bringing up players from lower divisions within Argentina.

He said the team would sell two or three players but gave no names.

"There are many conversations about different players in the club but concretely, today, there is no offer (from another club)," he said.

He said he wanted to keep midfielder Victor Zapata, whose contract is up at the end of June.

He also said Romanian club Steaua Bucharest had sent a fax saying they were interested in talented midfielder Fernando Belluschi and would send a representative.

(Additional reporting by Luis Ampuero)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in