post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2006, 10:12 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Brazil in Germany 06

Even experienced Brazilians anxious ahead of first World Cup match

By TALES AZZONI, Associated Press Writer
June 8, 2006

KOENIGSTEIN, Germany (AP) -- Even as favorites, players on an experienced Brazilian team confess feeling a bit of nervous anticipation -- this is, after all, the World Cup.

"Our biggest worry for the first match will be the anxiety," defender Roberto Carlos said Wednesday. "We'll need to find ways to control it."

Roberto Carlos will play in his third World Cup when Brazil begins its quest for a record sixth title Tuesday against Croatia before playing Australia and Japan.

Brazil arrived in Germany on Sunday, and has been training in the small town of Koenigstein, in the wooded Taunus hills outside Frankfurt. The defending champion spent 14 days in Switzerland before heading to Germany.

"We've been waiting four years for this," said defender Lucio, a 2002 World Cup veteran. "There is a lot of anxiety, I'm sure everyone here is feeling it."

Even Brazil's veteran coach Carlos Alberto Parreira acknowledged first-match jitters.

"I would be lying if I said I'm not anxious," said Parreira, 63, who led Brazil to the 1994 title in the United States. "We sleep a little less, eat a little less ... but it's part of it, and I think it's good."

One of Parreira's players in 1994 was defender Cafu, the current captain.

"I can't wait to get on the field," Cafu said last week. "There's a lot of expectation."

Cafu, who just turned 36 and has played a record 146 games for his country according to the Brazilian soccer federation, has said that the thought of lifting the World Cup trophy again has crossed his mind.

Among Brazil's starters, only defender Juan and striker Adriano will be playing their first World Cup. On the team's 23-man roster, nine players are World Cup first timers, including Real Madrid's Robinho.

"We want the tournament to start, we want to begin playing," the 22-year-old striker said.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2006, 21:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ronaldo misses practice because of fever

June 8, 2006

OFFENBACH, Germany (AP) -- Ronaldo missed Brazil's practice Thursday because of a respiratory infection.

The striker was expected to return to action on Friday, however.

"It's just an infection of his upper airways, with fever," Brazil doctor Serafim Borges said. "He's been treated and is recovering well, without any problems."

Borges said the Real Madrid player was expected to practice normally in the team's training session on Friday, and added the infection was not caused by the blisters that had been bothering Ronaldo earlier in the week.

"Anybody is subject to an infection," Borges said. "The blisters are gone ... The variations in temperature might have contributed to the outbreak of the infection."

Ronaldo was absent from Brazil's training session in Offenbach, which was held in front of more than 22,000 fans at a packed Bieberer Berg stadium, near Frankfurt.

"Ronaldo woke up with a little bit of fever and is being medicated," the Brazilian Soccer Confederation said on its Web site.

Ronaldo trained normally Wednesday after recovering from the blisters that forced him to leave Brazil's warmup against New Zealand at halftime last Sunday.

The Real Madrid striker's season has been marred by injuries. He was sidelined in April and May because of a muscle injury he picked up in the Spanish league, and had various injuries at the start of the year.

Many said Ronaldo was overweight when he first reported to Brazil's training camp, but the striker insisted such comments were coming from people who were "not well informed." Brazilian doctors have constantly said Ronaldo is in good physical condition.

"Of course Ronaldo will start in the opener," Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said. "The team is set, and Ronaldo is included."

The coach added that only another medical problem would keep him from playing.

Ronaldo has scored five goals in Brazil's three warmup matches since arriving in Europe on May 22 -- against Fluminense's under-20 squad, Swiss club FC Lucerne and New Zealand.

Brazil's training session in Offenbach was the only one open to the public. Brazil has been training in the nearby town of Koenigstein.

The defending champions will open their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 13 in Berlin. It will then face Australia and Japan in Group F.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2006, 20:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Well...the Brazucas hit the turf mañana tuesday the 13th...We'll see how they play against the Croats in their quest for yet another World Cup win..

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2006, 21:11 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil impressed with Australians

AFP
June 12, 2006

BERLIN (AFP) - Brazil said they were impressed with Group F rivals Australia's come-from-behind 3-1 win over Japan and will approach the Socceroos with caution when they meet Sunday in Munich.

Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said the Aussies had already served up a warning of their capabilities by beating Uruguay in the play offs.

"The team that wins the opening game always takes a big step towards securing qualification from the group," Parreira told reporters.

"I'm not going to say their result was a big surprise as Australia eliminated Uruguay.

"I know the Australian team. They have players playing with success in Europe and are a very strong team. technically they have a number of very interesting players," Parreira observed.

"What was really surprising was the way it happened with Japan ahead until the final few minutes of the second half and we hoped the most they'd get out of it would be a draw," Parreira, nicknamed 'The Professor,' said.

"That the Australians should have run out 3-1 winners is stupendous. How was it that Japan managed to let it slip away in the final few minutes?"

Star midfielder Ronaldinho said Australia's win showed that "every game we play can be more than complicated.

"But we are only thinking about our own results."

Emerson agreed that "there are no easy matches at a World Cup but I'm a bit surprised by this Japan result. I thought they'd win their opener, though that's no disrespect to Australia."

AC Milan's young star Kaka said he'd watched the first half and expected that Japan would either go further ahead or else Australia would peg it back for a draw.

"So for me it was a very big surprise the way it turned out."

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2006, 21:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Final Score ... BOOOOOOOORING ass game !!!!

Brazucas 1 Croatia 0

Boooooring piece of crap game !!!!!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2006, 01:51 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ronaldinho expects more of himself for second match

KOENIGSTEIN, Germany (AP) -- Ronaldinho knows he can do better.

The two-time FIFA player of year admitted on Friday he was only average on Brazil's 1-0 opening World Cup win over Croatia, and said he needs to pick up his play for the team's second match on Sunday against Australia.

"My beginning was neither good nor bad, it was regular," Ronaldinho said. "I had to stay at midfield holding the ball and trying to create plays for the rest of the team. It was OK for the debut, but I'm aware I need to perform much better."

Ronaldinho participated in several plays against the Croats in Berlin on Tuesday, but didn't create many scoring opportunities for the defending champions.

He had a great chance in the second half, but his close-range header off a cross from Cafu was saved by Croatia goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa. In another missed opportunity, he fired a first-half free kick into the defensive wall from just outside the penalty area.

"They marked very well, it was complicated," Ronaldinho said.

The midfielder added that the "magic quartet," which also includes Kaka, Adriano and Ronaldo, all need to sharpen their play against Australia.

"We'll need to try to move around more to create more scoring chances," he said. "We'll have to play closer together."

Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira agreed, saying earlier in the week that "Ronaldinho and Kaka will have to try to find more spaces" to help the "quartet" work.

Ronaldinho also expressed support for striker Ronaldo, who had a dismal performance against Croatia and was substituted for in the 69th minute.

"Personally, I'm happy that this is all happening now," Ronaldinho said. "It's going to motivate him."

Ronaldo has been dealing with distractions such as a weight controversy and minor health problems since arriving for Brazil's training camp three weeks ago.

Ronaldinho, who has 29 goals in 67 matches for Brazil, was a member of the squad that won Brazil's fifth title at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea. The FC Barcelona star played five matches and scored two goals, including a spectacular free kick against England in the quarterfinals.

He led Brazil to titles in the 1999 Copa America and the 2000 pre-Olympic tournament, as well as in last year's Confederations Cup in Germany.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2006, 10:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil can answer critics in game with Australia

By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports Writer
June 17, 2006

BERLIN (AP) -- So much is expected of them that an ordinary 1-0 victory appears shoddy. So when the World Cup favorite Brazilians take the field in Munich on Sunday against Australia, they might be looking to put on a real show.

The five-time world champions admitted they weren't their sharpest in the win over Croatia. And with the Aussies already having a victory in Group F against Japan, Brazil will take to its task quite seriously.

"We have everything to win the match, but we will need to play very seriously," coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said.

"All of us will need to work a little bit more," added Kaka, who scored the goal against Croatia.

That includes two-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldinho and 2002 World Cup star Ronaldo. Ronaldinho has been somewhat overshadowed this month by the troubles plaguing Ronaldo.

But Ronaldo is expected to start against the Aussies four days after being examined at a hospital for dizziness. He also has been bothered by a respiratory infection, blisters and, some say, too much girth.

Ronaldo has promised good things are in store for him and his team. His teammates simply want to switch the spotlight back to soccer.

"We need to stop talking about Ronaldo. That's a problem that's in the past, just as the match against Croatia is," Brazil captain Cafu said. "We need to focus on our main goal now, which is the match against Australia."

It figures to be a physical match. The Socceroos, in their first trip to the World Cup since 1974, can be a bruising bunch. They also are resilient, having come from behind to beat Japan 3-1, scoring three goals in the final six minutes, plus injury time.

"There's a work ethic there. Very, very hard training sessions," captain Mark Viduka said. "The last two weeks before we came here, I think everyone thought we were going to war or something, because the amount of training we were doing was unbelievable. But it pays off.

"First of all, physically we're fit. And also the way we play. We play the ball around a lot more than in previous years. And we can match up with the best."

Which is precisely what they must do Sunday.

The other games will be Japan vs. Croatia at Nuremberg, and France against South Korea at Leipzig.

After giving Brazil all it could handle, Croatia rides a wave of confidence into the match. It also has a significant height advantage it hopes to use in front of the net, something it didn't do well against the Brazilians.

"We are bigger, heavier and probably stronger. That's where we will look for our chances," Croatia coach Zlatko Kranjcar said.

"We played well against Brazil and it is a boost before we take on Japan," Croatian defender Josip Simunic added. "They have a different style, a different mentality and that's why we will play a different tactic."

One tactic Japan must master is how to shut down an opponent late in a match. The Japanese defense fell apart against Australia.

Japan also can't allow the disappointment of that defeat to linger.

"We had a chance to win," said Hidetoshi Nakata, Japan's most recognizable player. "If we took advantage of our chances and scored another goal in the second half we could have won. Both teams were tired near the end of the match, so that's no excuse."

France can make all the excuses it wants about its scoring drought, but the time to find the net certainly has come. The French won the 1998 title at home, were blanked in three games in their first-round exit in 2002, and played a 0-0 draw with Switzerland to open this event.

Now they play the Koreans, World Cup regulars who won their first tournament game outside of their country with a 2-1 victory against Togo.

"It's human to think about bad things that happened to you," France defender Willy Sagnol said. "You don't want history to repeat itself, so you are apprehensive, and this saps a lot of your energy and strength."

Anything less than their best could be damaging for the French. South Korea is no slouch.

"You can expect a France that is very up for this game," South Korea coach Dick Advocaat said. "If we can pressure them a little bit and make life a bit hard like Switzerland did, maybe we can surprise them."

My take on this game........Look for Brazil 2 be NO less than Argentina's 6 Vs Serbia...Poor Aussies...They'll be bombarded today !!!!!!!:dielaugh:

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2006, 21:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Another tasteless 3 points for Brasil...That 2 this point they havent shown the World a thing...yet !!!!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 02:27
Star Player

i hope ghana give them a footballing lesson.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 22:25 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Ghana ???? You mean the ones from the Rising Sun instead ????

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 22:28
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Another tasteless 3 points for Brasil...That 2 this point they havent shown the World a thing...yet !!!!
Yeah, we only wish we were playing tasty football, like England and France...

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 22:31 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrincha
Yeah, we only wish we were playing tasty football, like England and France...

Argentina brother........dont be blindfolded....!!!!!!! And its TRUE...they havent SHOWN a frikken thing yet ....... :dielaugh:

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 22:42
Cachorro
Legend

Teams: Botafogo, Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Argentina brother........dont be blindfolded....!!!!!!! And its TRUE...they havent SHOWN a frikken thing yet ....... :dielaugh:
I'm not blindfolded, I've seen Argentina... and I agree, they're the best thing since sliced bread. The greatest favorites in the history of World Cups. Messi is like Cruyff, Maradona, Michael Jordan and Spider-Man all rolled into one. :eekani: Argentina has the mightiest defensive line that's ever existed. Their attack is faster than light, and their midfielders cover an area bigger than all the oceans combined! Yes, I've seen Argentina playing, and to look at them is to look into the face of fear itself (or maybe I was looking at Tevez).

"Only in the darkness can you see the stars."
~Martin Luther King Jr.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old June 20th, 2006, 22:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

One frikken confussed Brazuca !!!!!!!!! Just like his national team !!!!!

:dielaugh:

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2006, 12:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil v Ghana

June 25 (Reuters) - Brazil meet Ghana in Dortmund on Tuesday in the second round of the World Cup.

Where: Westfalenstadion, Dortmund

World Cup capacity: 65,000

When: Tuesday June 27, 1700 local (1500 GMT)

Referee: TBA

Teams: Likely formation; shirt numbers; name, caps, goals, coach:

Brazil (4-4-2):

1-Dida (89-0); 2-Cafu (147-0), 3-Lucio (53-2), 4-Juan (41-2), 6-Roberto Carlos (129-10); 17-Gilberto Silva (41-3), 19-Juninho Pernambucano (40-4), 8-Kaka (37-10), 10-Ronaldinho (69-30); 9-Ronaldo (101-64), 23-Robinho (21-5)

Coach: Carlos Alberto Parreira

Ghana (4-4-2):

22-Richard Kingston (36-0); 15-John Paintsil (24-0), 13-Habib Mohammed (3-0), 5-John Mensah (36-0), 7-Shilla Illiasu (5-0); 9-Derek Boateng (13-3), 10-Stephen Appiah (44-12), 20-Otto Addo (15-1), 11-Sulley Muntari (18-6); 14-Matthew Amoah (19-7), Asamoah Gyan (15-9)

Coach: Ratomir Dujkovic

Team News:

Brazil finished top of Group F with maximum points, though their performances against Croatia and Australia were below par.

Coach Parreira made five changes for the final group match against Japan, when qualification was already assured, and was rewarded with a 4-1 win and their best performance so far.

Ghana, making their World Cup debut, say they are under no pressure and are looking forward to playing the holders.

Having opened their campaign with a disappointing 2-0 defeat by Italy, they have since brushed aside the highly-rated Czech Republic and United States and will not be easy to beat.

Suspended: None for Brazil. The West Africans have to play without powerhouse midfielder Michael Essien who is banned. However, they welcome back striker Asamoah Gyan and midfielder Sulley Muntari who were suspended for the U.S. match.

Injured: Brazil's squad are all fit while Ghana's Razak Pimpong bruised his ribs against the U.S. but should be fit enough to come off the bench at some stage.

Key quotes:

Brazil coach Parreira: "Ghana have been a beautiful surprise and they deserved to qualify. They have good technique and play with great speed."

Midfielder Juninho Pernambucano: "It will be a very dangerous game and we have to take care."

Ghana coach Dujkovic: "It's very difficult to stop them. If you stop Ronaldhino, there is Ronaldo. If you stop Ronaldo there is Roberto Carlos. If you stop (him) there is Cafu so it will be very difficult, very tough.

"They have excellent individuality. But as a team they are not playing so well as before."

Key Stats:

Brazil are unbeaten in 13 internationals, their last defeat coming against Mexico at last year's Confederations Cup.

Brazil have won a record 10 successive matches at World Cup finals going back to a 2-1 win over Turkey in their opening match at the 2002 finals. Their last defeat was 3-0 against France in the 1998 final.

They have a 100 percent record and have yet to concede a goal against African opposition at the World Cup. They have beaten Zaire (1974), Algeria (1986), Cameroon (1994) and Morocco (1998).

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old June 26th, 2006, 21:23 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil give no clues over line-up for Ghana

By Brian Homewood

BERGISCH GLADBACH, Germany, June 26 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira would not give any clues over his line-up to face Ghana in Tuesday's World Cup second-round match in Dortmund.

The world champions lumbered through their first two matches against Croatia and Australia, winning 1-0 and 2-0, with what is widely regarded as their first-choice 11.

Having qualified with a game to spare, Parreira then made five changes for the final group game against Japan and his team finally lived up to their billing as they came from behind to win 4-1.

Veteran full backs Cafu and Roberto Carlos were replaced by Cicinho and Gilberto, while Gilberto Silva and Juninho Pernambucano came in for Emerson and Ze Roberto in midfield. Robinho, instead of Adriano, partnered Ronaldo in attack.

Since then, there has been widespread intrigue over what the coach will do next, with many hoping he will keep the players who came in against Japan.

However, the coach is widely expected to bring back the two first-choice full backs, in particular Cafu who is the team captain.

GOOD INDIVIDUALS

Parreira has repeatedly denied that he has a dilemma on his hands.

"I have don't have any problems, I have 23 solutions," he said, referring to the 23 players in the squad.

"Only 11 can play but we mustn't forget that it's not individuals who win the World Cup, it's the team. It helps if you have good individuals but if you don't have the base of a team, you're not going to get anywhere."

Parreira has already lost one of his options, with Robinho ruled out because of a minor injury to his right thigh.

However, that does not necessarily mean that Adriano could regain his place in attack.

The coach could instead reshuffle his team, moving Ronaldinho into attack -- which would be closer to the role he plays for Barcelona -- and bringing Juninho Pernambucano into the midfield alongside Kaka, Ze Roberto and either Emerson or Gilberto Silva.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2006, 20:43 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil...running on 3 cylinders...instead of 8...destroys Ghana.....Running on 4 they will kill either France or Spain too ......

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 10:59 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil's Ronaldo most popular player in team - poll

BRASILIA, June 30 (Reuters) - Brazilians think striker Ronaldo has been their best player at the World Cup so far, an opinion poll showed on Friday.

The strong show of support is a boost for Ronaldo who has struggled with health problems and suggestions he was overweight.

Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva had exasperated Ronaldo earlier this month when he asked coach Carlos Alberto Parreira about Ronaldo's weight on national television.

The Datafolha survey published in Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper on Friday showed 27 percent of those polled thought Ronaldo was the team's best player. Kaka followed with 14 percent and Ronaldinho with 12 percent.

Eighty-three percent of those polled believe five times world champions Brazil will win the World Cup and 64 percent support Parreira. Brazil face France on Saturday in the quarter-finals.

Ronaldo's preparations had been interrupted by blisters on his feet and a sinus infection.

He also complained of dizziness on the day after the 1-0 win over Croatia and was taken for a medical check-up, reviving memories of his dazed performance at the 1998 World Cup final when Brazil lost 3-0 to France.

Ronaldo began the World Cup with two lumbering performances against Croatia and Australia, which had the critics calling for him to be dropped, but then scored two goals against Japan and one against Ghana, breaking a World Cup record with his 15th finals goal.

The goal eclipsed Gerd Mueller's mark of 14 set during West Germany's World Cup win of 1974.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 20:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

1st half is over.....the game has to be on Frances side till now..I mean its 0x0 , but its them who have held the ball and the action on this first half....

If Brasil hopes to advance...they HAVE a tough second half and xtratimes ahead...France wants to advance...and they probably will...if Brasil doesnt make a BIG change in the 2nd half !!

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2006, 21:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

11 min 2nd half...Justice is served ...France 1 Brasil 0

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in