Merconorte cup final is all-colombian again - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2000, 17:04 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Colombian sides Millonarios and Atletico Nacional have qualified to the Merconorte cup final making this the third consecutive final between Colombian teams in the same 3 editions of the tournament. This year even with the challenge of the Mexican teams the overall quality of colombian football has been stated and the cup will stay in Colombia for one more year. Thus, the regional superiority of Colombian has been proven one more time, and this situation doesn't appear to change.

Now the question is where in Colombia will the cup be?

Millonarios from Bogota, 13-time colombian champions are for the very first time finalists and under the guidance of newly appointed manager Diego Umana are in great form in both Colombian league and Merconorte cup.

Medellin rivals Atletico Nacional, only Colombian team to win a Libertadores cup in 1989 are struggling to get a place in the Colombian league playoffs but managed well to get to the finals in this tournament. There is a big rivalry between this two teams and precisely in the 89 cup Nacional kicked us out (i'm a Millonarios supporter, don't forget)from the semifinals with the aid of a very dubious referee. So this is time to pay back

GO MILLOS!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2000, 02:49
I Need More Cowbell!
International

Ofcourse its all Colombian! What did you expect? The Merconorte is a joke of a tournament, everybody knows that.

Let me tell you a little about the Merconorte. The CONMEBOL divided the region into 2 tournaments, The Mercosur was made for the great teams and the Merconorte was for the weak teams (all of this happened before Colombia became good) You cant compare teams from Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile to teams from Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela and Colombia. Why do you think Mexico was added? because it was the most boring cup on the face of the earth. Im not saying that Mexican teams are the best, but somebody had to give Colombia a run for their money.

Colombian teams in the Merconorte are like Mexico in the CONCACAF, they are expected to win every year.

PS - Colombian teams would not survive in the Mercosur.

Hurrah for Paquador!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2000, 16:47 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Is it natural for you to say this kind of garbage so often??

OF Course OUR TEAMS CAN SURVIVE IN MERCOSUR!!!. We have kicked Chilean, Paraguayan, Uruguayan and Even Argentinian asses in Libertadores Cup many times. We had a Champion in the Libertadores and many runner-ups. So, how can u say we can't match those teams, if we already done it??. Your beloved River Plate was smashed here 4-1 by Once Caldas A SMALL TEAM HERE!!! in the Libertadores two years ago with a superb demonstration by Edwin Congo, today playing in Portugal. Something similar happened with Velez. Chilean teams have NEVER won a Libertadores match here. A few were Uruguayans.

The distribution of the two tournaments is purely geographical. If the Colombian teams play at Mercosur I bet they can do better than those losers at Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay that could put no team in the second round. Our teams can match better with the Brazilian and Argentinan ruling than them.

For christ sake u realy know how to piss me off. I doubt if is just simple ignorance or u really want to provoke me.

[Edited by megapolemico on 28-10-2000 at 17:51]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2000, 17:26
supergeo

Loco_Poom: Colombian soccer's at a similar level to Chilean, Urugayan and Paraguayan soccer. That's why we are frequent finalists in the Libertadores cup, with great teams like America de Cali and Deportivo Cali reaching the finals, just to be beaten by Argentinean and Brazilian teams. Colombian soccer has improved over the last decade, making our domestic league one of South America's top 4.

Of course Colombian teams can survive in Mercosur!! WE have the players, the touch, and the latin magic. If you were to question COlombian soccer's level, then why is Colombia exporting so many players to leagues like Argentina's, Brazil's, Serie A, Spain, England, France, Portugal??

As for the final, let me tell you guys I'm a Millos supporter... Does that say enough?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old October 28th, 2000, 22:02
I Need More Cowbell!
International

C'mon! dont give me that garbage. Colombia (along with Colombian teams) were nothing before 1990. Colombia was seen like just another Ecuador or Venezuela. Before Valderrama and Higuita Colombians didnt give a hoot about soccer. Its true that Colombia is on a great level at the moment but 10+ years ago they were a laughingstock.

PS - No one cares about the Mercosur tournament much less the Merconorte.

Hurrah for Paquador!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in