LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:37 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Coaches come & go !!!!!

Gallego Says No To Lazio

12/22/2004

Former Newell’s Old Boys boss Americo Gallego has rejected an offer to become Lazio’s new coach, reports Argentine daily ‘El Clarin’.
The Roman club’s financial problems and its poor league standing appear behind the fresh Argentine champion’s refusal.

Two weeks ago Gallego won the Argentine Apertura title with Newell’s Old Boys, after which he immediately handed in his regisnations.

“I need some months to rest after a year of very hard work. Then I will decide what to do,” he said.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2004, 01:24 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

History-making Ternero to leave Peru's Cienciano

By Monica Vargas

LIMA, Dec 23 (Reuters) -

Cienciano coach Freddy Ternero is leaving the club after an historic 18 months in which they became the first Peruvian club to win an international competition.

Ternero, who once made his players karate-chop blocks of wood with their bare hands to teach them the powers of positive thinking, led Cienciano to victory in the Copa Sudamericana, South America's equivalent of the UEFA Cup, last year.

This year the team from the former Inca capital of Cusco high in the Andes went on to beat Argentina's Boca Juniors to win the Recopa -- the annual showdown between the winners of the Sudamericana and the Copa Libertadores.

The 44-year-old, who spent time as a house painter, gardener and odd-job man in the United States two years ago after finding himself out of work, said he was leaving for personal reasons.

"My contract ends this Sunday... I'm not thinking of continuing at the institution," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"In any case, I've finished a cycle of work and it's normal for one to want to step aside."

Cienciano president Juvenal Silva said he was still deciding on a possible replacement.

"There are at least four candidates, including Peruvians and foreigners," he said. "Ternero had a wonderful spell with Cienciano but it's over."

Ternero, who spent most of his playing career with Lima's Universitario, coached four other minor first division clubs in Peru before putting Cienciano on the map.

Until he took over Cienciano had always been the poor relations of the Lima trio Sporting Cristal, Alianza Lima and Universitario, themselves well down the pecking order in south American football.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2004, 12:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Brazil 'dance of coaches' continues

RIO DE JANEIRO, Dec 23 (Reuters) - Four Brazilian clubs named new coaches on Thursday as the 'Dance of the Coaches' continued following the end of the league last Sunday.
Pericles Chamusca, who left Sao Caetano the day before, took over at Goias while former Brazil goalkeeper Zetti, who led Fortaleza out of the second division, was immediately named as Chamusca's replacement at Sao Caetano.

Figueirense named Paulo Comelli as their new coach and Agnaldo de Jesus took over at Paysandu, replacing Vagner Benazzi who had decided not to renew his contract.

On Wednesday, Levir Culpi, who led Atletico Paranaense to the runners-up spot, took over at 2003 champions Cruzeiro for the third time.

Cruzeiro finished a modest 13th this year as they paid the price for dismantling their title-winning team.

Ten of this year's 24 first division clubs -- Cruzeiro, Atletico Paranaense, Figueirense, Goias, Criciuma, Sao Caetano, Fluminense, Paysandu, Vitoria and Gremio -- have parted company with their coaches since Sunday.

The championship itself produced 42 coaching victims in 46 rounds of matches.

Relegated Guarani were the most volatile club, using five coaches in Joel Santana, Zetti, Lori Sandri, Agnaldo Liz and Jair Picerni.

They were followed by Atletico Mineiro, Gremio and Flamengo, who used four each.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 19:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Real Madrid to name Luxemburgo as coach - :thmbup: reports

By Adrian Croft

MADRID, Dec 30 (Reuters) - Real Madrid are set to name Vanderlei Luxemburgo, coach of Brazilian champions Santos, as their third coach this season in a bid to reignite their fading league campaign, Spanish media reports said on Thursday.

Former Brazil coach Luxemburgo was travelling to Madrid on Thursday and will replace Mariano Garcia Remon on the Madrid bench, the web sites of sports daily Marca and of newspaper El Mundo said.

A Real Madrid official would neither confirm nor deny the news but said the club was holding a board meeting later on Thursday which would be followed by a news conference.

Brazilian media quoted Santos Vice President Norberto Moreira da Silva as saying: "He (Luxemburgo) told us he had an offer he could not refuse and asked to be freed from his commitment to Santos. It was his dream so we thought it best to let him go."

The reported arrival of Luxemburgo, after short spells at the helm by Garcia Remon and Jose Antonio Camacho, underlines Real Madrid's hunger for success and its impatience with any coach that does not bring them top honours.

Real are the most successful club in history of European football with a record nine European Cups and 29 domestic league titles. But they ended last season fourth in the Primera Liga and have slipped to fifth this season, 13 points behind pace-setters and arch rivals Barcelona.

Luxemburgo has an excellent track record, having won the Brazilian championship a record five times with four different clubs: Palmeiras in 1993 and 1994, Corinthians in 1998, Cruzeiro in 2003 and Santos this year.

He took over Santos in May this year after being fired by Cruzeiro in February following a clash with directors.

He was Brazil coach from 1998 to 2000, winning the Copa America in 1999 but was fired following the Sydney Olympics after poor results.

Shortly afterwards, the Brazilian Congress launched an investigation into financial problems in Brazilian football and Luxemburgo was publicly grilled over his tax returns.

He also admitted to police that he had used a fake birth certificate throughout his career which made him three years younger than he really was.

HEAVY PRESSURE

Garcia Remon, Real Madrid coach for just three months, has been under heavy pressure after the star-studded team's recent poor performances.

He was named Real Madrid coach in September when Jose Antonio Camacho resigned four months after taking up the post, saying he felt incapable of getting the most out of the club's expensively assembled squad.

His predecessor, Carlos Queiroz, lasted less than a year.

Real Madrid, whose roster of players includes Ronaldo, Raul, Zinedine Zidane, Figo, David Beckham and Michael Owen, closed a miserable year with a 1-0 defeat at home to Sevilla last week.

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas said after that loss that another slip-up would end the former European champions' hopes of winning the Spanish league title.

Real recently appointed former AC Milan and Italy coach Arrigo Sacchi as director of football. Only last week, Sacchi gave his backing to Garcia Remon, saying "we have full confidence in him".

In an interview with Real Madrid's web site on Thursday, president Florentino Perez said the club had had a very poor end to last season and had suffered a "block", perhaps due to pressure, although things were now slowly improving.

"My wish for 2005 is that we will definitively emerge from that situation and we will once again play the 'show' football that has made us admired throughout the world," he added. (Additional reporting by Brian Homewood and Nicholas Winning)

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old December 30th, 2004, 19:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Peru's Cienciano sign Valencia as new coach

LIMA, Peru, Dec 30 (Reuters) - Peru's Cienciano, who last year became the first club from the country to win an international competition, have named Wilmar Valencia as their new coach.

"We decided to go for Valencia because he's young and he showed his ability when he was at Sporting Cristal and they won the Apertura championship in 2003," Cienciano President Juvenal Silva said.

Valencia is currently youth team coach at Alianza Lima.

Freddy Ternero, who made history last year as he led the club to the Copa Sudamericana title, is leaving the club for personal reasons.

Cienciano, based in the ancient Inca capital of Cuzco and dubbed the "red fury," also beat Argentina's Boca Juniors on penalties this year to win the South American Recopa the playoff between the Sudamericana and Libertadores winners.

Cienciano finished third in this year's league championship.

Last edited by colocolo; January 5th, 2005 at 21:13.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old January 2nd, 2005, 15:38 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Roberto Carlos Welcomes Luxemburgo

12/31/2004

Roberto Carlos has welcomed that appointment of Wandlerley Luxemburgo as the new coach of Real Madrid and believes he can turn things around at the club.
The Brazilian international could not hide his delight after his former trainer and national and club level took over Mariano García Remón during this week.

"I have known him for around 12 years now," Carlos explained. "I played under him at Palmeiras and with the Brazilian national team.

"I could spend a lot of time talking about everything that he won and achieved in his career, but you will tell me I speak too much if I do.

"He has his own style of doing things and likes his teams to be happy when they play. He is a winner and I am sure he will make us into champions.

"In Brazil everyone is accustomed to training twice a day and he will do that, starting next week when we are due to work in the morning and afternoon. The team will improve physically and tactically."

The former Inter wing-back then praised Madrid for keeping the move for a new coach under wraps to avoid the publicity throng that usually surrounds new appointments.

"The club has done very well," he continued. "They have waited and thought about the decision up until the last minute.

"Everybody thought that they would not do this, but finally something happened within the club and nobody found out. It has been a rational decision and you have to applaud that.

"They have given him an 18-month contract, but he will be here three or four years at least and will make Madrid play great football again. The fans will love him."

Carlos was reported to have asked for a transfer in the January window after Remón dropped him for the recent game at Racing Santander, although he later denied it.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old January 3rd, 2005, 21:36 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

De Oliveira is new Santos coach

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Oswaldo de Oliveira took over as coach of Santos on Monday, replacing Vanderlei Luxemburgo after he left the Brazilian champions to join Real Madrid last week.
Oliveira, who was Luxemburgo's assistant earlier in his career, had been out of a job since he was fired by Vitoria in August.

'I'm very happy to be back at work with a victorious team,' Oliveira told reporters.

'I also hope to get back on the path to victory as my six-year career has seen more of them than defeats.

'I'm not worrying about being compared to Vanderlei, after all I've already shown my potential.'

Oliveira won the Brazilian championship with Corinthians in 1999 and was also in charge of the team which won the FIFA world club championship held in Brazil the following year.

But last year was unsuccessful for Oliveira and he was sacked by both Corinthians and Vitoria during the Brazilian championship.

Having returned to Corinthians at the start of last year, he was fired in May following a 5-0 home defeat by Atletico Paranaense.

He took over at Vitoria less then one month later but was sacked after only 14 games in charge.

Santos became the 12th of the 24 teams in last year's Brazilian championship first division to change coaches since the competition ended two years ago.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2005, 21:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Luxemburgo gets off to winning start at Real Madrid :dielaugh:

January 5, 2005

MADRID (AFP) - Real Madrid and Real Sociedad managed to finish their match almost a month after they started, and the hosts made the most of their second chance by grabbing a late winner for a 2-1 victory.

Goals from Ronaldo and Nihat Kahveci had left both sides level pegging when the match had to be suspended on December 12, but a Zinedine Zidane penalty gave Madrid coach Wanderley Luxemburgo a winning start at his new club.

The two teams played out the final 2mins 40secs of regulation time and another four minutes of injury time on Wednesday after referee Vicente Lizondo Cortes had no choice but to call a halt first time around after an apparent bomb threat from the Basque nationalist group ETA.

"We showed complete concentration and great motivation," said Luxemburgo after the bizarre finale, which saw Real Sociedad make a round trip of 700 miles for just a few minutes of football and only to return empty-handed.

Luxemburgo decided to unnerve the visitors and throw everything at the San Sebastian side from the outset, in a game started by a goal kick from Real Sociedad goalkeeper Asier Riesgo.

"But don't expect every game to be like this. The next game will not be like this," added Luxemburgo, whose team face Atletico Madrid in the local derby on Sunday.

"However, as a team, we are playing well together and my philosophy is always to win," added the former Brazilian national coach, who only joined Real Madrid on Thursday.

Luxemburgo opted to start with Fernando Morientes alongside Ronaldo rather than England striker Michael Owen.

It looked like an inspired decision when the unsettled Spanish international, who had not started a game all season, had the first Real chance after barely two minutes.

Riesgo managed to save his side on that occasion but the constant pressure forced Sociedad defender Mikel Labaka to bundle Ronaldo to the ground a minute into injury time, and Zidane stepped up to convert from the spot.

"The way we played here, we could win the league, the Champions League and the cup," bragged Luxemburgo.

"Real Madrid created their chances and we couldn't have done anymore. I had the feeling we were going to be struck by an avalanche," conceded Real Sociedad coach Jose Maria Amorrotu.

Real Madrid climb two places to third and now have 32 points from 17 games ahead of their local derby against Atletico on Sunday.

However, the 29-times Spanish champions are still 10 points behind their arch rivals and runaway league leaders Barcelona.

The match was played out in front of 15,000 curious spectators, who had been let in for free, in contrast to the 70,000 that had packed the Bernabeu for the original game.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2005, 22:45 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Villarreal 3 Barcelona 0 :dielaugh:

Pellegrini...One Coach NOT going anywhere but UP in La Liga this Season !!!!

Viva Pelle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2005, 11:53 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Paranaense name new coach

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Brazilian championship runners-up Atletico Paranaense have named Casemiro Mior, currently in charge of Portugal's Nacional, as their new coach.
Mior, 47, led Nacional to fourth place in last year's Portuguese championship, the best finish in their history. He replaces Levir Culpi, who resigned last month.

'I'm very proud to be going back to my homeland to coach an important team such as Atletico,' he told the club's official website.

Mior's first big challenge will be the Libertadores Cup, the South American equivalent of the Champions League.

Paranaense face Colombia's Medellin, Paraguay's Libertad and the winners of the first round tie between Mineros de Guayana (Venezuela) and America (Colombia) in second round Group One action.

Twelve of the 24 teams in the Brazilian first division last year have changed coaches since the competition finished on December 19 with Paranaense second to champions Santos.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2005, 10:26 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Not from Conmebol, but close enough to post it !!!

Sanchez: I'll coach Mexico at World Cup

MEXICO CITY, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Outspoken UNAM coach Hugo Sanchez has predicted he will be given the job of leading Mexico at the 2006 World Cup in Germany once they have qualified.

'The directors are just waiting for the right moment, I know it suits them and interests them,' the former Real Madrid and Mexico striker told Mexican media.

'There are publicity contracts to think about, there is the commercial side, there's a lot of money involved and when you go to the World Cup, it's not the same having Hugo Sanchez as having the other one,' he said, referring to current Mexico coach Ricardo La Volpe, his bitter personal rival.

'But if they (the Mexican federation) wait too long, maybe I'll have gone to Europe, so I'm telling them to make the most of me with the national team. Let them qualify and then bring me in, I'm not demanding it, I'm suggesting it.'

Sanchez, who has led the Pumas to two successive Mexican championship titles, has often said he is the ideal man to coach the national side.

He has been at odds with La Volpe, reserve goalkeeper in Argentina's 1978 World Cup-winning squad, since they were on opposite sides as players in Mexican club football.

Sanchez has also made it clear that his other ambition is to coach Real Madrid.

Ruben Omar Romano, coach of UNAM's local rivals Cruz Azul, called on Sanchez to tone down his attacks.

'Now that he's on top, he could be a little more modest and stop talking,' the Argentine told the Notimex news agency.

'His declarations are breaking the harmony, they divide the press and they don't do Mexican football any good.'

Mexico kick off the final round of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers with a difficult fixture away to Costa Rica on the Saprissa stadium's artificial pitch on February 8 or 9.

They are expected to qualify comfortably from the six-team group, from which the top three go direct to Germany and the fourth plays off against an Asian team over two legs.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2005, 08:54 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Brazil's 1990 coach demands water investigation

By Brian Homewood

RIO DE JANEIRO, Jan 20 (Reuters)

- Former Brazil coach Sebastiao Lazaroni has demanded a FIFA investigation into allegations that full back Branco was offered contaminated water by Argentina during a second round tie in the 1990 World Cup.

Following the match Branco complained he felt dizzy and weak after drinking from a bottle offered by the Argentine players during an injury stoppage in the second half.

Argentina won 1-0 with a late Claudio Caniggia goal after Brazil had dominated from start to finish. They went on to reach the final where they lost 1-0 to West Germany.

One of the greatest World Cup mysteries resurfaced on Wednesday when Argentine magazine Veintitres published an interview with former Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo, who said: "I'm not saying it didn't happen."

Bilardo, famous for his gamesmanship, later said he knew nothing about any deliberate ploy to contaminate the water bottle.

"They've called me from Italy, Spain, England, Brazil ... it's a misunderstanding," said the man known as Big Nose (Narigon).

However, Lazaroni has still called for an investigation.

"If it's true, it's lamentable," Lazaroni told Reuters television in an interview.

"FIFA should investigate and, if it is confirmed, hand out exemplary punishment to those involved.

"It doesn't matter if it happened 14 days, 14 months or 14 years ago," added Lazaroni, who last year coached the Jamaican national team.

"Sport should be based on transparency and fair play and matches should be won by the team which has the best technical qualities," he added.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old February 2nd, 2005, 21:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Villarreal extend coach Pellegrini's contract

MADRID, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Villarreal have extended Manuel Pellegrini's contract as coach until the end of next season following the team's impressive form over the last few months, the Primera Liga side said on Wednesday.

The 51-year-old chilean former River Plate coach took charge at the start of the season and has steered his side into sixth place in the Spanish table and into the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

With Argentine Juan Roman Riquelme orchestrating the midfield and ex-Manchester United striker Diego Forlan in prolific form up front Villarreal have put together an eight match unbeaten run which has included emphatic victories over Barcelona, Valencia and Real Sociedad.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old February 4th, 2005, 20:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Thursday, February 3, 2005

New coach for struggling Flamengo

RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 3 (Reuters) - Flamengo, who claim to be Brazil's most popular club, named Cuca as their new coach on Thursday, 12 hours after sacking Julio Cesar Leal who had been in charge for four games.
Flamengo director Gerson Biscotto said Cuca would take over in time for Saturday's 'Fla-Flu' derby against Fluminense, which has been rendered meaningless as both sides have already been knocked out of the Carioca championship's first stage.

Cuca last year led Sao Paulo to the semifinals of the South American Libertadores Cup, was later fired and had a brief spell in charge of Gremio.

The club also unveiled a new shirt to use in the rest of the Carioca championship, which serves as a prelude to the Brazilian championship.

It is the same red and black hooped design as the original but the colours have been inverted, with black sleeves instead of red ones.

Leal was fired after Flamengo suffered three humiliating defeats against unrated Olaria, Cabofriense and Americano, none of whom play in the Brazilian first division.

The once great club have struggled in recent years following chaotic administration, which included the impeachment of one club president, and severe financial difficulties.

Flamengo used four coaches last year as they narrowly avoided relegation.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old February 6th, 2005, 13:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Messa to lead Bolivia qualifying bid

LA PAZ, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Former international Ovidio Messa became Bolivia's third coach of their 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign on Tuesday when he was named as the replacement for Ramiro Blacut, who resigned last month.
Messa, who is currently working with the municipal government of Alicante in Spain where he runs a soccer school for teenagers, takes over a team who are bottom of the 10-nation South American group.

'I'll return to La Paz in the middle of this month to co-ordinate my job, which will begin in March,' Messa told ATB television in an interview.

'The president of the Bolivian Football Federation (FBF) told me today that the executive committee had decided I should coach Bolivia in the future.'

Bolivia's next qualifier is at home to Argentina in La Paz on March 26 or 27.

Bolivia, who depend heavily on the home advantage of playing in high-altitude La Paz, have 10 points from 11 games, having already dropped five home points and lost all their away games.

The top four teams qualify directly for the finals in Germany in 2006.

Bolivia began the campaign in September 2003 under former Chile coach Nelson Acosta, who resigned last April after a turbulent spell in which he repeatedly criticised the standard of Bolivian football.

Veteran Blacut then took over for his third stint in charge. But he walked out in January, complaining of in-fighting between the FBF, the professional clubs and the football league.

Messa, 51, played for Bolivia during the 1970s. He has a long history of coaching at youth level and has also been in charge of local first division clubs San Jose, Wilstermann, The Strongest and Blooming.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old February 9th, 2005, 09:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Chile striker Pinilla buries hatchet with coach

SANTIAGO, Feb 8 (Reuters) -

Chile striker Mauricio Pinilla says he has buried the hatchet with coach Juvenal Olmos in time for Wednesday's friendly at home to Ecuador.

Pinilla said last month that he would in future think twice about playing for his country after originally being left out of the squad.

The Sporting Lisbon player, however, said on Tuesday that he was happy to be included as a last-minute replacement for the injured Marcelo Salas.

"I had some problems (with the coach) but that has been cleared up," Pinilla told reporters.

"I have a special affection for the red shirt. If I have to make sacrifices for the national team, I'm ready."

Last year, Olmos briefly fell out with midfielder David Pizarro. The Udinese playmaker was dropped for the World Cup qualifiers in October against Ecuador and Argentina because of indiscipline before being recalled to face Peru in November.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2005, 21:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Peru's Cienciano hire back old coach Jurado

LIMA, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Uruguayan Daniel Jurado is back as coach of Cienciano in place of Carlos Sevilla who was sacked after the Peruvian club's first round elimination from the Libertadores Cup this week.

Jurado will arrive in Cuzco on Sunday "and he'll take charge of the team immediately," managing director Angel Ramirez, whose club is based in the former Inca capital 3,000 metres above sea level, said on Friday.

Cienciano made history in 2003 by winning the Copa Sudamericana, the first Peruvian team to lift an international trophy, and Jurado is regarded as having sown the seeds of that success during his first spell at the club in 2001-02.

Ecuadorean Sevilla had only been in charge for two games when he was fired after Cienciano's humiliating 5-1 home defeat by Mexican club Guadalajara on Wednesday. They lost the Libertadores Cup first round tie 8-2 on aggregate.

Freddy Ternero, who was coach of the "red fury" when they won the Copa Sudamericana, quit in December.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old February 14th, 2005, 20:35 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Luxemburgo hails Real Madrid fighting spirit

MADRID, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Real Madrid coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo says his team showed the stuff of champions in grinding out a 2-1 win over Osasuna at the weekend.

The pressure was on Real after Primera Liga leaders Barcelona thumped Real Zaragoza 4-1 away on Saturday to open a seven-point gap at the top. Real recovered from a goal down in a rain-lashed El Sadar on Sunday to cut the deficit back to four.

"I am very pleased with the result. We have shown the spirit of champions in overcoming a really motivated opponent," Luxemburgo said.

"We are still only second but we have kept our chances of winning the league alive. If we want to top the table we have to be prepared to fight and that's what we have done."

Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas proved to be the difference between the two sides, making some crucial interventions before and after Pierre Webo had given Osasuna the lead.

Real punished Osasuna keeper Ricardo Sanzol twice in the space of three minutes near the end. With 13 minutes left he failed to hold Roberto Carlos' fierce free kick, which allowed Michael Owen to level, and then fumbled David Beckham's free kick to gift Ivan Helguera the winner.

"With 15 minutes to go I still believed we could win. You always have a lot of free kicks on small grounds like this, and with this kind of weather, we had the chances," Luxemburgo said. The Brazilian coach brought on Owen after 73 minutes and was rewarded with the equaliser just three minutes later, as the England striker once again proved his value to the club.

"I don't mind coming off the bench, the important thing is to help the team. My goal...may prove to be vital come the end of the season," said the England striker.

"On a personal level it has given me a boost in confidence and this victory has strengthened the team's resolve."

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2005, 20:13 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Palmeiras fire coach following seven-minute substitution

RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 16 (Reuters) -

Palmeiras have fired coach Estevam Soares, three days after a bizarre incident in which he brought a player on as a substitute only to replace him seven minutes later.

Soares had been in charge of the Sao Paulo-based club for nine months, during which he surpassed expectations by helping them qualify for the Libertadores Cup in their first season back in the Brazilian first division.

But Palmeiras made an indifferent start to the 2005 season and the fans had become increasingly frustrated at what they saw as Soares's overcautious tactics.

"The decision was taken because of the latest results," said the club on its official website.

The pressure increased after his much-criticised quickfire replacement of midfielder Diego Souza during Sunday's 2-2 draw at Uniao Sao Joao in the season-opening Paulista championship.

Souza gesticulated angrily at his coach as he left the field, insulted him on live television and stormed back to Sao Paulo on his own.

The club issued a statement denying the Souza incident had caused its decision to fire Soares and adding that the player had been suspended indefinitely.

Soares felt the controversy had been the final straw.

"There was pressure from the directors and the supporters but the episode with Diego Souza complicated the situation," he told the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2005, 20:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bolivia's new coach plans on a long stay

LA PAZ, Feb 17 (Reuters) -

Bolivia's new coach Ovidio Messa says he plans on a long stay in a job where most incumbents last only a few months.

"We've still got a chance in the World Cup qualifiers," Messa, Bolivia's third coach of the qualifying campaign, told local media on Thursday after officially taking charge.

"The target and the dream is to stay for a long time," said Messa who takes over with Bolivia bottom of the 10-nation South American World Cup qualifying group.

"I have a long and ambitious project," added Messa, the ninth man to coach Bolivia since 2000. "I think that, given time, we can form a good team. Anyone who thinks Bolivia are eliminated is being pessimistic."

Messa replaces Ramiro Blacut, who blamed a lack of co-operation from the clubs when he resigned in January after only nine months.

Blacut's predecessor, former Chile coach Nelson Acosta who took over in July 2003, also lasted nine months.

Bolivia used three coaches, Carlos Aragones, Jorge Habbeger and Carlos Trucco during the qualifiers for the 2002 World Cup.

Trucco and Vladimir Soria were used on an interim basis for friendly matches in 2002.

At the start of 2003, Trucco was appointed on a permanent basis before he resigned two months later without a game under his command.

Walter Roque and Dalcio Giovangoli then took it in turns to lead the team for matches against Mexico and Colombia before Acosta took over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in