Peru - a force to be reckoned with? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2004, 11:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Peru - a force to be reckoned with?

Guerrero, Claudio Pizarro, Nol Solano, Andres Mendoza and also Jefferson Farfan are the Peruvian players I heard of.

The attacking third of the team looks good for sure but what about the rest? who are your defenders and other midfielders ? anything to write home about?

If the rest of the team is as good as the attack, then I'm sure you folks will do well in the future!

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old December 13th, 2004, 20:27
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Mmmmm ... Just look at Peru's number's at the NT Level and that really is no indication they're a force to be reckoned with...
I mean numbers dont lie....and the DISTANCE between the S American players in Europe Vs Their respective National Teams gets BIGGER every day ... No thanks to Fifa and protectinn their Uefa (first of All) interests !!!!!!!!

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2004, 08:14
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Guerrero, Claudio Pizarro, Nol Solano, Andres Mendoza and also Jefferson Farfan are the Peruvian players I heard of.

The attacking third of the team looks good for sure but what about the rest? who are your defenders and other midfielders ? anything to write home about?

If the rest of the team is as good as the attack, then I'm sure you folks will do well in the future!
Mendoza has a problem with the fans, he is not very liked unfortunately, and it's not fair I might add. Guerrero still has everything to prove but looks like the goalscorer we've been missing for ages.
Farfán, Solano are class. So is Pizarro - the captain - but he doesn't score much for us. The #9 always have a problem scoring for the NT.

Our offensive midfielder is the legendary Roberto "Chorri" Palacios, capable of everything, extremely small guy and getting old though.
We have a very exciting prospect in Juan Cominges there, and also left sided Julio García, former Cienciano who plays for Morelia in Mexico, but he's too insconsistent.

Defensive midfielders are just average having as usual starters Juan José Jayo (ex Celta player) and Ciurlizza. Nothing really out of this world. One of their big problems is that they are really small. Other than that the option is Zegarra, a very intelligent but extremely slow player.

The fullbacks are a problem, but Juan Vargas has emerged on the left side, he is young, has good crossing and shooting and you'll probably see him in France next season. Defending is his problem, he could eventually become a left midfielder.
On the right usually Jorge Soto - avery good player that however has gotten old and lost his pace but still manages to score goals often.
Galliquio is the best option there, strong fast and marks well.

Central defenders have quality, with experienced Rebosio who was last year in Zaragoza as a fullback, and talented Acasiete (another former Cienciano) playing together in Almeria,a Spanish second division. But specially with two very hot prospects, Villlalta and Rodriguez from Sporting Cristal. You'll probably hear from them in the future. I specially like Villalta, he might solve our biggest problem: The Crosses.
His injuries are a big worry for his future though. If he gets over that, he'll become a class-act, European material without doubts.

The keeper is usually the very experienced Ibańez, a correct keeper who's also getting old and losing it. His replacement could be the talented Erick Delgado, but he is still mistake-prone.

The coach is brazilian Autuori, a very capable man who unofrtunately is on permanent war with the press, so they don't really let him work peacefully.

To make it short, the team has the potential. Pretty much same level than all the other South America teams, capable of beating anyone in a good day (look at last year's friendly in Spain, first half was mindblowing).

The problems are mainly from mental strenght. Perú usually concede goals early, lose big advantages, play great and then mess up next game... An this all across history. We lost WC 98 qualyfication for goal ratio
The sort of team that can make you dance the whole game, hit the crossbar three times, but lose 3 - 0in the last five minutes.

The team could well fight for a WC spot, and they're doing so till now, being helped because of the incredibly tight table on the South American qualyfiers... But won't accomplish anything unless the mentality changes, the relation between players, coach and press, the attitude in home games (bare vs. Chile) suck, booing the team as soon as they do something wrong.

The NT problems somehow reflect our society problems, specially in the mentality part, we are not accustomed to success, sometimes it seems like we can't handle it.

The organization of the federation and of the national tournaments and all that really really suck also. Plenty of corrupted people sucking blood form our already poor football. Players are not paid in a lot of teams, a lot of off field scandals.
For instance, the last Copa Amčrica this year had a great organization, and we have the U-17 World Cup coming. But we didn't use the Monumental, a spectacular stadium because the president of the team that owns it - a thug - refused to let the federation use ut.
The man resposnible for the success of Copa América, Arturo Woodman, was left out of the U-17 WC organization, despit being ideal for the job, cause he rfused to give the usual 5000!!! free tickets to politicians...

From that you might get an image of the way it works.
One thing we don't miss right now is young talent though.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; December 15th, 2004 at 08:32.

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old December 15th, 2004, 16:33 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
THanks for the great insight Van Great read ! and the PM was needed since I had forgotten I asked the question a few days ago you would have done work for nothing had you not reminded me.

I heard of Palacios, Zegarra and Ciurlizza thanks to championship manager but obviously as they're not in Europe, I had never seen them. Palacios sounds like Alex Aguinaga then, or the Erwin Sanchez of Peruvian football! but with him ageing I guess someone has to fill in his boots and with Cominges, you have someone waiting on the sideranks.

About Mendoza, I've seen him a bit at Brugge. I reckon he has a lot of natural talent and maybe even more than Pizarro but he shows it in spicks and spacks. He has a couple of good games then he falls away. In one friendly against PSV where Brugge won 4-0 a few years back, I remember him almost single handedly destroying them. I guess it must be an attitude problem or something with him. :undecide:

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Last edited by Jenas; December 15th, 2004 at 16:40.
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2004, 03:03
Premier Player

andres mendoza has a lot of natural ability if he had pizarro work rate he would be the better foward

peru's weakness comes in defence like van said

rebosio did not become the player he could have, im hoping the cristal trio leave peru quickly (rodriguez, villalta and delgado) so they can became our foundation at the back
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2004, 00:06
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
I agree cóndor, they should probably leave, but also the fact that they're playing together is very important, specially for the NT.

And also as a SC fan I don't want them to leave. We're the champions of clausura by the way, and very likely of the national championship, as "la U" won just won El Clásico 2 - 0 in Alianza stadium.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2004, 01:25
Xtratime Elite

History-making Ternero to leave Peru's Cienciano

By Monica Vargas

LIMA, Dec 23 (Reuters) -

Cienciano coach Freddy Ternero is leaving the club after an historic 18 months in which they became the first Peruvian club to win an international competition.

Ternero, who once made his players karate-chop blocks of wood with their bare hands to teach them the powers of positive thinking, led Cienciano to victory in the Copa Sudamericana, South America's equivalent of the UEFA Cup, last year.

This year the team from the former Inca capital of Cusco high in the Andes went on to beat Argentina's Boca Juniors to win the Recopa -- the annual showdown between the winners of the Sudamericana and the Copa Libertadores.

The 44-year-old, who spent time as a house painter, gardener and odd-job man in the United States two years ago after finding himself out of work, said he was leaving for personal reasons.

"My contract ends this Sunday... I'm not thinking of continuing at the institution," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"In any case, I've finished a cycle of work and it's normal for one to want to step aside."

Cienciano president Juvenal Silva said he was still deciding on a possible replacement.

"There are at least four candidates, including Peruvians and foreigners," he said. "Ternero had a wonderful spell with Cienciano but it's over."

Ternero, who spent most of his playing career with Lima's Universitario, coached four other minor first division clubs in Peru before putting Cienciano on the map.

Until he took over Cienciano had always been the poor relations of the Lima trio Sporting Cristal, Alianza Lima and Universitario, themselves well down the pecking order in south American football.

post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2006, 21:20
Xtratime Elite

1 1/2 yrs have gone since this was posted...and in Peru thinhs remain as obscure as then ... Uruguay, Colombia and Chile at least went on to play in Europe these last few days...but in the land of the Incas.....nothing much is happening today

Last edited by colocolo; June 7th, 2006 at 21:57.
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2006, 11:11
Xtratime Elite

2 more preparation matches for the Chilean Nats....October Vs Peru..... 7th and 11th...venues not yet specified.

post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2006, 10:45
Xtratime Elite

Peru organizes a four sided U-20 in Iquitos

12 / 07 / 2006

A four sided international U-20 youth football tournament will take place in the city of Iquitos, capital of the Loreto region, in the Peruvian Amazon, on the 19th, 21st and 23rd of July. National teams from Peru, Costa Rica, Chile and Ecuador will participate.

post #11 of 113 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2006, 15:34
Rising Star

Teams: Santos FC, Uruguay
i never disconsider any team of south american
the difference between south american and europe is that suddenly here can born a new pelé, cubillas, schiaffino, di stefano and the team become great again.
the problem is that our football(in general in south america) is ****ing desorganized and they do'nt give a **** to our youngstars or kids that someday will be a star.
pero mismo con esos problemas tenemos mucha suerte, ojala en el mundial 2010 sea la vez de Peru( pero uruguay primero claro jajaja)
post #12 of 113 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:14
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

ages in 3 years?

Last edited by Hartfield; August 3rd, 2006 at 06:39.
post #13 of 113 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:39
Rising Star

I heard Vargas from Colon has gone to Portsmouth FC.
post #14 of 113 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 02:54
Rising Star

Peru a force to be reckoned with?.......mmmmmmmmm no. I mean if it was a joke it was pretty lame if it was a statement then it was even worse.
post #15 of 113 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 03:08
Legend

Last night Panama hummilliated Peru in his own turf. 2-0

Certified thread killer - Best on the web.

No one ever says "It's only a game!" when their team is winning .

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -Kipling
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 11:31
Xtratime Elite

One thing that NEVER bothers me is negative results in friendlies-exhibition-preparation games but to lose against Panama ??? /\ ..thats goinn overboard in preparing bad .... almost as bad as Acosta's Chile ...

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2006, 23:45
Star Player

Teams: Colo Colo, Lazio, Chelsea, Besiktas
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
One thing that NEVER bothers me is negative results in friendlies-exhibition-preparation games but to lose against Panama ??? /\ ..thats goinn overboard in preparing bad .... almost as bad as Acosta's Chile ...
No almost ... as bad as our NT Colombia came with the B team and we played with the A team :rollani:

Colo Colo es lo más grande!!!

Alija, you will be for ever in our heart

http://laziofever.bigforumpro.com/index.htm
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2006, 00:28
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Peru is far from his 60's and 70's history, and is fagocitated by the attraction of Brazie and Argie league, whom bTW are fagocitated by every other league that puts two bucks on the table for their players...but anyway still don't see those monsters of those ages.

Still el Ñol the best palyer in last years, and a Ñol, whom I admire as hell, isn't precisly the type of player will lift a team to a better level.

In the meantime Paraguay is amking a silent good work in youngsters, no matter how bad they played in the WC, and ta leats thinking in terms of team, than waiting for a Cubillas or Melendez, those will come with good work in youngsters, sooner or later.

"De cada 10 personas que ven televisión...5 son la mitad"
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 18:51
Rising Star

No, Peru is definetly a weak force. They lost at home to Panama, and they tied with Ecuador's B team in neutral venue.
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2006, 21:42
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android 17
No, Peru is definetly a weak force. They lost at home to Panama, and they tied with Ecuador's B team in neutral venue.
You mean then if they Beat Chile..I should commit suicide ???? p Of course in this day and age.when Peru plays in Santiago is almost as if theyr were playing in Lima...

A good Chilean spot would have to be Punta Arenas !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in