Chile's Domestic League - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2000, 22:45
laroja

Do you think that now that Chile has gained international respect mainly due to the likes of Salas and Zamorano, that the domestic league is going to suffer? Margas, Rozental and I'm sure others who have left Chile have been openly critical of the way our league is run. I think what may happen is too many of our young players will be exploited in foreign lands (Italy, England, Portugal, France etc)and may hinder our domestic league's competitiveness. There has probably been more young players leaving now then ever and it seems that more players want to jump the band wagon. I understand that money is the main factor however, in order for our country to stay competitive internationally we would benefit more by having an excellent domestic league. I'm glad that the Chilean players are being looked upon as options now, however, I think that they should maybe not be allowed out until a certain age. Something should be done to ensure that the domestic league doesn't suffer too much. Let me know what you guys think. I though about this because I read an article in Don Balon (chile) about Santos where Pele played and it mentioned that if Europe had not started displacing so many young Brazilian players Santos may have still been a dominant team in the World.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2000, 23:01
Premier Player

It's good to have you also in this forum laroja...

This happens not only in the Chilean league but also in the Argentinian,Brazilian etc.European clubs have the money so they can buy.But having a good national team is more important than having a good league.The NT is the mirror of the nation's football.Salas,Zamorano and the others who play in Europe represent the nation successfully.About the league surely can't compete the european leagues.But i'm happy that South Americans come to play in Europe bacause we can see and admire these great players here.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2000, 23:09
laroja

Thanks SaZa for your comment.

Are you in Europe?

With reference to your reply, I agree that its nice to have a good NT however, without a strong domestic league our NT may become rather incohesive. In the past each country had very idiosyncratic styles of soccer. It seems that now with the modern soccer more teams are starting to look alike (I'm sure I'm wrong on this). Anyhow, if we only send strikers to Europe our midfielders and defenders will be liabilities. I realize that Margas and Reyes are in Europe but I can't think of any other defenders going to Europe soon? It would be nice to have a reincarnation of Elias Figueroa (Chile's best defender and some may argue best player in our history). What do you think of Pedro Gonsalez from la U? He hasn't been able to shine at the international level however he's the leading scorer in chile. (or was)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2000, 23:31
Premier Player

I am Greek but i love very much Chile.

...about Reyes and Margas they moved to Europe after good appearances in the World Cup.So maybe after WC 2002 Chile will have more defenders in Europe!!But not so many as strikers because european clubs know that South Americans' technical and scoring abilities are amazing.They can find very good defenders in Europe so they don't want to spare the foreigners' places with them.

South Americans can improve their skills in S.Am. as well.

About Pedro Gonzalez i know that he played for the previous Copa America in Paraguay and that he is a good goalscorer but with players such as Salas,Zamorano,Rozental,Tapia it's not easy to find a place in the NT.One is sure,that Chile will never have a lack of strikers!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2000, 23:58
laroja

Your Greek? Wow I would have never guessed that. You Know more about Chile's soccer than I could ever dream about. Did you live in Chile ever? Where in Greece do you live? Lastly, what do you think about el murci rojas (francisco? I guess he played well in the first half of the Brazil game but then collapsed in the second half. Also let me know your opinion on Acosta's defence for the upcoming game against Colombia.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2000, 05:08
I Need More Cowbell!
International

I'll give you another defender in Europe, Pablo Contreras (AS Monaco) Former Chilean defender of the year (98-99 Colo-Colo).

I like Francisco "El Murci" Rojas' style of play very much (kind of like Roberto Carlos) hes very fast and agile. He had a great World Cup where his absence was felt in the Brazil match.

I personaly dont like Acosta because he's too defensive. With a striking partnership like Za-Sa Chile shoud be scoring 3 or 4 goals each game. Acosta is very defensive minded and it was shown on the second half of the Brazil game. He started to defend 5 minutes into the 2nd half, that's ridiculous! too early!. I know Chile was up 2-0 but you never do that that quick.

Anyways, Saza, I could've never guessed that you were Greek, its cool though.

Aguante el futbol Chileno!

Hurrah for Paquador!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2000, 10:08
Star Player

Teams: Chile and Lazio
Mursi is the man!!!!!!!

I can't believe no-one tryed to buy him after the wc and I'm so happy that he's back in the line up

I though Gonzalez was transfered to Bari

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2000, 12:24
Premier Player

I'm not surprised with your surprise for me being a Greek!!I live in Larisa.I have never been on Chile but simply i love this country and especially,of course,their football.

I agree with both of you that Francisco Rojas is a very good defender.About Acosta he continues to play the classical 4-4-2.Chile and Peru must be the only S.A. teams that play this system right now.Surely Acosta prefers a defensive style of game with the two strikers sometimes being alone.That's why,i think,we had such a bad game against Uruguay but in the last games it seems that this system fits to Chile and i like this.I think we will play the same against Colombia.

Did you know that Marcelo Salas tried the previous season to take the Greek nationality and as a result to become EU player?Also PAOK Salonica tried this year to take Esteban Valencia but this transfer didn't go on.

[Edited by SaZa on 31-08-2000 at 13:28]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 09:05
Star Player

Hehehe we'll I knew about Salas trying to become a Greek citizen but it didn't end up working so Deki was on the stand a lot.

I also heard about Esteban Valencia.........what happened with that? Amo was asking questions about him

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 09:27
Mrz Nesta

I just wanted to add another player to the ones you think are good..

If many of you haven't noticed..right now there is a VERY good player in the Chilean National Team. He plays as a left winger, He's from La Universidad de Chile ( ), he is going to Sydney with the U-23 team, he is only 18 and Boca Juniors is after him. Of course I'm talking about RODRIGO TELLO.
He is extremly good and young too.

Murci Rojas is very good, but he is not getting any younger
Pablo Contreras was my neighborough when he lived in Chile...hehehe

SaZa...you are from Grece??!!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 10:23
Premier Player

Of course i have noticed Rodrigo Tello.When he has the ball i know that he is going to do something good!!

How could i forget his goal against Argentina from about 25 metres?

Yes,i'm Greek Mrz Nesta.

[Edited by SaZa on 01-09-2000 at 11:27]
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 11:31
Mrz Nesta

I'm that you noticed Tello...not many people have.
How come you are so interested in Chilean football?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 11:50
Premier Player

I loved Chile since WC'98.From then i haven't miss any official match of them despite the difference in hour.When Chile plays,here in Greece is 2:00am or 3:00am but i don't want to miss-for anything!!- these games!!My favourite player is JOSE MARCELO SALAS MELINAO.

You must be a Chilean Mrz Nesta?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 12:05
Mrz Nesta

Yes SaZa...I'm Chilean..and proud of it!!
But, un
I'm like you..I NEVER miss a game, even if it's not official. I've seen all the games that Chile's has played for the WC qualifier 2002, and of course tomorrow I'm gonna see the one against Colombia

I was at The World Cup 1998 and saw Chile's first three games. I've never had so much fun in my life!!
Where you there??
Salas is very good..but my heart belongs to Zamorano
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 12:18
Premier Player

Nope,i didn't go to France but,of course,i saw the matches from TV.France '98 must be an exciting expierience for you!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2000, 12:36
Mrz Nesta

Yeah...I had a great time! I met like a million chileans, some italians, and I was on TV every day. Specially in Chilean TV, but also on French, Japanese(?!), American and many others.. :P
I took over 300 pictures in France 98..

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2000, 02:20
Star Player

How cool
Did u talk to Pablo much when you lived next to him? How many years ago? I don't get to see much wc qualifiers here in Sydney which reall sux @ss, but I'm sure that maybe at half time you could tell me about the Colombia game a bit on ICQ hopefully....

Tello is great and for one I get to laugh at you guys because I get to see him in Sydney also BamBam, Reyes and both Tapias, Contreras, Maldonado and the rest

I love Mursi, he was my 3rd fav player at wc98

FORZALAZIO!

FORZALAZIO!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2000, 19:38
Mrz Nesta

HOla El Matador..
Well, Pablito move away when he got famous. But, my brother and his friends told me that they use to play football with him and his big brother, which amazing enough is better then Pablo!! But unlike Pablo, his brother started to drink and it all went down hill from that point
His dad is and alcoholic and if I'm not mistaken, Pablo doesn't have the best relationship with him.

Well, Murci is a really good player. I love him!
And you know what...I am a bit jealous that you're gonna see the U-23 team play, but not that much because I say the "BIG" Roja in France 98..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in