Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
In their owns words/Opinions-Interviews

Copa-Taking chances makes the difference, says Bielsa

Reuters

Wednesday July 14, 2004

By Brian Homewood

PIURA, Peru, July 13 (Reuters) - Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa said his team reaped the rewards for taking their chances in their 4-2 win against Uruguay on Tuesday while they paid the price for missing them in their 1-0 defeat by Mexico.

"The team was more effective compared to the game against Mexico," said Bielsa, whose side avoided a possible quarter-final against Brazil by beating their neighbours and finishing second in group B of the Copa America.

"We took most of the chances we had, our control of the ball was adequate," he said.

"There are no magic answers in football. Sometimes similar situations generate different consequences. This game was similar to the one against Mexico. The difference is that we scored in this one and we didn't against Mexico."

Bielsa has been under pressure because of recent lacklustre performances by his team and there is speculation he may not survive a poor Copa America.

He enjoyed a respite when his side hammered Ecuador 6-1 in their opening match but the heat was back on again after Saturday's loss to Mexico. His team now face hosts Peru in next Saturday's quarter-final in Chiclayo.

Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati, whose team played for 55 minutes with 10 men after defender Joe Bizera was sent off, was delighted with the improvement his side have shown in the competition.

His team have made the quarter-finals as one of the best third-placed teams and may have to play world champions Brazil depending on the final results in group C on Wednesday.

Fossati, who took over in April, lost his first two games in charge, both World Cup qualifiers, and his side conceded eight goals in the process.

"After playing (Argentina) in these circumstances, we can leave with our heads held high, be confident for the next stage and hope for a bit more luck with the refereeing," he said.

"We gave everything, just as a Uruguayan should when he's wearing his country's shirt, but without going over the top.

"I was happy with our attitude, tactical discipline and effectiveness in attack. Six goals scored in three games looks quite good to me."

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2004, 13:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Gomez to stay with Ecuador

Wednesday, 14 July 2004

Ecuadorian Football Federation president Luis Chiriboga has stated coach Hernan Dario Gomez will stay in his job despite an unimpressive Copa America campaign.
The country failed to land a single point in the competition that also included a 6-1 mauling at the hands of favourites Argentina.

Gomez was not too downhearted on his side as Ecuador also intended to use the tournament as an opportunity to strengthen their chances of qualifying for the next World Cup.

"The objective is to qualify for the World Cup Germany 2006 so Gomez will not be going anywhere, he will keep on working as the coach of Ecuador," said Chiriboga.

On the other hand Gomez said before leaving Peru: "The Copa America wasn't our priority, we are working for getting Ecuador qualified to the World Cup."

"The Copa America has been good as we have learned things that will help us work better in future. Now I know what kind of things I don't have to do."

Basically the same as Chiles philosophy !!!!

post #3 of 239 (permalink) Old July 16th, 2004, 10:50 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

COLUMN-Copa offers top-class football without the frills :thmbup:

Fri 16 July, 2004 10:30

By Brian Homewood

PIURA, Peru, July 16 (Reuters) - It is a long way from the futuristic Luz stadium in Lisbon to the Miguel Grau stadium in the Peruvian desert town of Piura.

The latter, with its modest 25,000 capacity, has no giant screens, no mini-theme parks outside with giant, inflatable trampolines and no stalls offering official merchandise.

It does not even have numbered plastic seats, most of the crowd instead sitting on concrete steps, and the only ways of getting there are walking, taking a creaking yellow taxi or a three-wheeled Peruvian-style tuk-tuk.

Yet the football played at the Miguel Grau in the Copa America, including Argentina's 4-2 win over Uruguay in a full-blooded River Plate derby, was arguably as good as anything served up in the more glamorous surroundings of Portugal at the European championship the month before.

In many ways, it is a relief to be spared the endless commercial propaganda and middle-of-the-road 80s hits blasted over the public address systems before games in Portugal.

The Copa America is the third continental championship this year, Africa having staged its Nations Cup in Tunisia in January and the European championship taking place last month.

In the Copa, the standard of play is similar to Europe but with a no-frills infrastructure. Its little eccentricities put it apart from the other two tournaments, seemingly taking away some of its appeal outside the region.

These include the double bill format, in which two matches from the same group are held in the same stadium on the same evening, the presence of two guest teams from outside the region -- this year Costa Rica and Mexico -- and the absence of a qualifying competition.

SAME CONTINENT

The Copa also has to compete against another competition in the same continent -- the World Cup qualifiers.

Here, the continent's 10 nations play each other home and away over two-and-a-half years, making it a genuine South American championship. As a result, some nations prefer to use the Copa to experiment.

World champions Brazil have decided to rest top players such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Roberto Carlos and Cafu while Paraguay have brought their under-23 team and are using it as a warm-up for next month's Olympics.

But the competition is anything but glorified practice sessions.

Most other teams have brought virtually full-strength line-ups, the standard of play has been high and there was not a single goalless draw in the 18 first stage matches.

At the same time, the siege mentality which dominates in Europe has been largely absent.

It is hard to imagine teams such as England following Mexico's example by allowing local schoolchildren to watch their training sessions and then sign autographs for them while simultaneously giving interviews to the media in the car park.

DELIGHTED FANS

The local organising committee's decision to spread the competition around six provincial cities in such a huge country has created a logistical nightmare for the media but has delighted local fans, who have never had the chance to see top-level international football before.

The matches in Piura attracted hundreds of curious onlookers outside the stadium who did not have tickets but simply wanted to get close to the big event. The inhabitants are proud of their newly-reformed and simple, but tidy, arena.

Peru has not offered the fancy wrapping that Portugal provided but the basics have all been there: decent playing surfaces, acceptable training facilities -- usually local private schools -- and comfortable hotels for the teams.

Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa said: "We've all had the feeling that the public here is friendly and the hosts have been generous."

Argentina defender Juan Pablo Sorin, who has ample experience in Europe, said: "The European championship has a fantastic infrastructure which we don't have.

"But I'm Argentine. I'm proud to be Latin American. I like to get to know the rest of the continent and these people are our brothers."

:thmbup:

post #4 of 239 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2004, 01:39 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Pinto suffers having to face homeland

TRUJILLO, Peru, July 16 (Reuters) - Costa Rica's Colombian coach Jorge Luis Pinto said on Friday that he was not looking forward to facing his own country in Saturday's Copa America quarter-final.

"Today, I'm with Costa Rica and I'm going to do everything necessary to beat Colombia, that's my duty," he said.

"It hurts because it's my country, but I have to do it all the same."

Pinto refuted the idea that the game was a personal battle between himself and Colombia coach Reinaldo Rueda.

"It's not a duel, it's a professional engagement," he said. "Colombia are a team who like to play good football and we're going to put on a good game."

Pinto took over only three weeks before the Copa, replacing former United States coach Steve Sampson who resigned after Costa Rica scraped past Cuba on away goals in a preliminary round World Cup qualifier.

Costa Rica went into the quarter-final as the second best third-placed team when they beat Chile 2-1 on Wednesday with a goal by Andy Herron in the fourth minute of injury time.

Pinto said that defenders Mauricio Wright and Leonardo Gonzalez would both face late fitness tests.

Wright, who scored the equaliser against Chile, had a bruised ankle and Gonzalez picked up a knock on his right knee, Pinto said.

post #5 of 239 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2004, 12:32 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Chevanton explains Monaco choice

Saturday, 17 July 2004

Javier Chevanton has stated he joined Championnat outfit Monaco due to the size of the club although Didier Deschamps was also a big lure.
The Uruguayan ace, who joined along with compatriot Diego Perez on Friday, is keen to land trophies and be successful with his new club in France.

Chevanton is particularly looking forward to playing in the UEFA Champions League with his new colleagues following a spell in Italy with Lecce.

"I chose Monaco because they are a great team, and they have a coach, Didier Deschamps, who has won everything you can win in football," explained Chevanton to L'Equipe.

"People said a lot of good things about Monaco, and two weeks ago, when I had the chance to have a phone call with Didier, I was completely convinced.

"I am proud of my choice and I came here to learn alongside him and my new team-mates. I want to improve. I want to win a league title.

"Also there is the Champions League. After knowing the Italian league, it is also interesting to discover another high level league."

post #6 of 239 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2004, 13:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bielsa: Tevez gamble paid off

Sunday, 18 July 2004

Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa has admitted he took a huge gamble by introducing matchwinner Carlos Tevez against Peru on Saturday.
Bielsa felt his side were on top when he took the decision to remove Andres D'Alessandro in the 58th minute, but the decision paid off as Tevez curled home a superb free kick just two minutes later to secure the quarter final win.

"When I made the change, I had my doubts," said Bielsa.

"I thought the team was in its best part of the game and I wasn't sure it was in our best interests - but I went ahead and did it anyway."

Bielsa has admitted his side were pushed all the way by Peru, but felt their greater class was the deciding factor.

"They were tackling harder than usual and they were very difficult to play against," Bielsa said.

"The first half hour was very static ... but in the end, the score was justified and we deserved to win."

Peru coach Victor Zegarra felt his side paid for their lack of a cutting edge, saying: "It was a game that either team could have won.

"We just couldn't score. We played as well as Argentina did the entire match."

post #7 of 239 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2004, 11:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Scolari keen to coach Brazil again

July 18, 2004

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) - Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari revealed that given the opportunity he would love to return to manage Brazil whom he lead to the 2002 World Cup title.

Scolari told the O Globo that for the moment he was concentrating on the task of leading Portugal to Olympic glory and the 2006 World Cup finals after their runners-up spot at Euro 2004.

But the call of his native Brazil, five time world champions, would be difficult to resist.

"When I was in Brazil, I didn't think about the national side. I thought that it would never be my turn. But after being with that side, to have worked with that group (of 2002), I think that if one day I got another chance, yes, I would return. But now I'm not working for that," said Scolari.

"If that happens one day, great. And if it does not happen, I think that I've already contributed to the side, and believe that the team have also given me something as well."

Despite Portugal's surprise 1-0 loss at home to outsiders Greece in the European championships Scolari believes they have a good chance of Olympic gold and advancing past the 2006 World Cup qualifiers.

"I think that the Portuguese team has a good future. The Olympic team has been reinforced with three over-23 players which have increased our chances a lot. I hope that Portugal get past the first rounds."

"Portugal obviously have a chance in 2006. But it's not because they reached the European finals that they can already be considered one of the best teams in the world.

"We can't become distracted from the qualifiers. Portugal are very good but you can't forget that everyone wants to qualify."

post #8 of 239 (permalink) Old July 20th, 2004, 12:46 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Paraguay coach critical of referee :eekani:

Monday, 19 July 2004

Paraguay coach Carlos Jara castigated the referee after his side crashed out of the Copa America quarter finals to Uruguay.
Jara's team were beaten 3-1 in Peru despite taking an early lead and they were ultimately sunk by a double from Dario Silva.

But Jara feels Paraguay were unjustly denied two penalties by Argentine official Hector Baldassi, who also sent off Uruguay's Gustavo Varela.

"The referee saw two clear penalties for Paraguay but he didn't award them," said Jara.

"There was a foul against Humberto Paredes and another one against Edgar Barreto and the referee didn't give us those penalties."

Despite the defeat, though, Jara was satisfied with his team's performance at the tournament which is serving as a preparation for next month's Olympic challenge.

He added: "I think that the performance of Paraguay in the Copa America is positive.

"We took advantage of our participation in this Copa America and we showed that we are in a good condition.

"My players gave their best and I feel very proud of them.

"We played face-to-face against Uruguay in the same way we did against Brazil. Unfortunately, two mistakes made us lose the match.

"Uruguay surprised us because they took advantage of the free spaces that we left for them."

post #9 of 239 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:37 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Copa-Uruguay rediscover identity at the Copa America

By Brian Homewood

LIMA, July 21 (Reuters) - Uruguay, who arrived at the Copa America discredited and dejected, won back their identity by reaching the semi-finals, coach Jorge Fossati said after the side's penalty shootout defeat by Brazil on Wednesday.

"We have rediscovered our identity, we have rediscovered our football and now we can be more optimistic with the (World Cup) qualifiers," Fossati said after his team drew 1-1 with Brazil over 90 minutes but lost 5-3 on penalties.

post #10 of 239 (permalink) Old July 22nd, 2004, 17:41 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Gonzalez wants belief in Argentina

LIMA, July 22 (Reuters) - Argentina forward Cristian Gonzalez is delighted to be in the Copa America final and hopes that their performances have finally won back public confidence in the team.
'What we really want is to be able to connect with our people again,' Gonzalez told reporters.

Argentina are still suffering the effects of their dismal performance at the last World Cup when they arrived as favourites and were knocked out in the first round.

Since then, they have played most home matches at a half-empty River Plate stadium and coach Marcelo Bielsa has been insulted and jeered by supporters.

Argentina's performance at the Copa, reaching the final with a 3-0 win over Colombia on Tuesday, has done much to restore their credibility.

They face arch-rivals Brazil in Sunday's final in Lima but they will have to wait until October for the acid test of their popularity - their next home game against Uruguay in a World Cup qualifier.

Argentina last won the Copa in 1993 but Gonzalez said he did not see winning the title as a means of making up for their experience at the World Cup.

'Obviously, it's not a good memory but it's there and life goes on,' he said.

'There are four or five players still left from that team, the coaching staff as well.. but we're not looking on this as our revenge.'

Although only 29, Gonzalez does not expect to play in another Copa America final.

'Maybe this is the last chance I'll have to play a final with Argentina, at least in the Copa America.

'This is one of the few opportunities that is left to me and I don't want to let it slip by,' he said.

'So I'll do anything I can to achieve it (the title).'

'The will to win, the determination that you have when you wear this shirt makes the pain and tiredness go away.'

He added: 'If I didn't see myself as a champion, I'd stay here in the hotel; it's not every day that you play a final wearing your country's shirt. I have full confidence in myself and in all my team-mates.'

post #11 of 239 (permalink) Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:48 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bielsa promises to attack Brazil in Copa final

By Javier Leira

LIMA, July 22 (Reuters) - Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa promised his side will attack Brazil in Sunday's Copa America final and said he was not worried about how his opponents would play.

"We're going to attack with six players as usual, which is convincing proof of our own style," Bielsa said.

"We will try to play in the opponents' half. I'm ignoring what Brazil are going to do but I'm very clear about the convictions of my own team."

However, Bielsa added that Argentina's performance would be built on the basis of a strong defence.

Argentina went through the quarter and semi-finals without conceding a goal and have only let in four in the whole tournament. At the other end, they have scored 14.

"The effectiveness of our defence has to be given some credit," he said.

"We've hardly had any chances created against us.

"Defending well pre-supposes tranquillity to go after the opponents' goal. Teams attack well once they defend well.

"If the defence is good, the forwards are not under so much pressure."

Bielsa rejected the idea that Argentina will start as favourites against a Brazil side who have rested several of their top players.

"Making a team favourite is a psychological tool which overloads the responsibilities of one side and lightens those of the other," he said.

post #12 of 239 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2004, 10:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Bielsa: We deserved to win

Monday, 26 July 2004

Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa says that his side outplayed Brazil in the Copa America final and deserved to win the match.
Argentina were twice pegged back in a dramatic 2-2 draw in Peru, but they lost out to their arch rivals as Brazil triumphed on a penalty shoot-out.

Bielsa thought that his side played the better of the two and did not deserve to lose.

"Argentina played better than Brazil in the first and second half and deserved to win the match and the title," said Bielsa.

"I am not going to say that it's not fair that Brazil won the cup because they did their job and performed better in the penalty kicks.

"But I think that Argentina deserved to win the final match because we created many more chances to score."

Asked if Argentina were unlucky after Brazil scored twice in injury time of both halves, Bielsa commented:

"After the match I talked it over with my players and we asked ourselves what else we could have done to avoid what finally happened.

"Sometimes there are some teams that turn over a result because they deserve it and some other times they do it in a fortunate way and this was one of those moments, everyone saw it."

post #13 of 239 (permalink) Old July 27th, 2004, 11:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Argentina Were Irritating Us - Parreira

7/26/2004 1

Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira was delighted after his side beat Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America.
"It’s not any team which gets a result like this, we never gave up, it was a lesson for everyone," he said.

"Nobody messes with Brazilian football, five-times champions of the world.

"It’s a game we will never forget -- nor will our opponents.

"There was some gamesmanship as usual and we were very happy with this young team’s powers of reaction.

"They were winning the game, there were five minutes to go ... they were tapping the ball around, deliberately trying to get fouls.

"It’s a technique which irritated us."

post #14 of 239 (permalink) Old August 4th, 2004, 11:07 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Newell's aim to pair Ortega with Jardel

Tuesday, 03 August 2004

Newell's Old Boys are hoping to follow up the capture of Brazilian striker Mario Jardel by landing Ariel Ortega.
Jardel completed a move to the Argentine side over the weekend after his contract expired with Bolton Wanderers.

The former Porto marksman struggled to adapt in The Premiership and also undertook a loan stint at Ancona in the second half of last season.

With Jardel on board, Newell's are now putting together a package to end Ortega's footballing misery.

Ortega is still in dispute with Turkish side Fenerbahce but Newell's are prepared to fork out a fee to bring the playmaker back to his homeland.

"I know that Ortega has already agreed his contract with Newell's," said the club's coach Americo Ruben Gallego.

"Now the only thing that we are waiting for is to let the president negotiate with Fenerbahce."

Ortega's agent Juan Berros confirmed the former River Plate star will sign for the Rosario side if his wrangle with Fenerbahce is resolved.

Berros said: "He has his personal contract with Newell's signed because he is a player out of contract.

"Newell's are going to ask for the international transfer and then will start to negotiate with Fenerbahce.

"The president of Newell's has told me that he is going to offer $6 million as part of the indemnity that Fenerbahce are claiming since Ortega left Turkey.

"If the problem is resolved Ortega will play for Newell's in the next season."

Jardel is hoping Newell's can tie up their move for Ortega as he is relishing the prospect of forming a partnership with the Argentine.

"I have been with Ortega in the hotel and to tell the truth I was surprised because he is a mega star in the world," said Jardel.

"I am very happy to have the chance to play with him because he is a player of great quality."

post #15 of 239 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2004, 10:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Forlan: I want to stay

Thursday August 05 2004

Manchester United forward Diego Forlan says he will only leave the Red Devils if manager Sir Alex Ferguson throws him out of Old Trafford.

Forlan has been involved in constant speculation with a move to various clubs in the last few weeks, with the latest rumour being that he was on his way to Spanish team Levante on a year-long loan.

Ferguson, however, dismissed this latest gossip linking the Uruguayan with a move away from Manchester on Wednesday.

The former Independiente player, who was also linked with Atletico Madrid while on Copa America duty last month, claims he is unperturbed by the gossip mongers.

"I read things or hear what people are saying but that doesn't mean it is true," he said.

"I am still here and I have two years left on my contract. I am a Manchester United player and I am happy to be here.

"Only one person will decide if I am going to leave or not and that is the manager. When he comes and tells me I have to go, I know I will be going. Until then I won't even think about it."

Forlan has scored 17 goals in 95 appearances since his Ł7million transfer two-and-a-half years ago, but is adamant that the United faithful have yet to see the best of him.

He claims a regular run in the first team in the same manner that was afforded him at his last club is sure to see him shine at the FA Cup champions.

"I get better when I play quite a few games on the trot," he said.

'Playing once in a while is not the same as playing every game. When I was at Independiente, I was playing in every match and that builds your confidence."

post #16 of 239 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2004, 11:49 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Maradona wants presidential help to flee clinic

BUENOS AIRES, Aug 6 (Reuters) - Desperate to return to Cuba after a major health scare, soccer great Diego Maradona wants Argentine President Nestor Kirchner to help free him from a psychiatric clinic where he is being held against his will for drug addiction.

"He wants to go to Cuba but the courts won't let him," his doctor Alfredo Cahe told Radio 10 on Friday. "He wants me to talk with the President so he sees the extent of his recovery and what he is capable of doing when asked."

Maradona's family forced him to enter a private clinic on the outskirts of Buenos Aires in May for cocaine addiction treatment after he was rushed to intensive care in April with a swollen heart and breathing problems.

Maradona, 43, has spent much of the past four years undergoing a drugs rehabilitation programme at a spa in Cuba, which he considers a second home. He is less enamoured with the Argentine clinic he is currently trapped in.

"In this clinic one person thinks they are Napoleon, another thinks he is (liberation hero) General San Martin ... And they don't believe I'm Maradona," the former World Cup winner told relatives during a recent visit, according to local sports daily Ole.

President Kirchner's office was non-committal, saying no formal request had yet been received from the former World Cup winner -- considered one of the most gifted players in the history of soccer.

post #17 of 239 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2004, 11:52 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Recoba Praises Inter's Transfer Market

8/8/2004

Alvaro Recoba of Inter had words of praise for his club's transfer market activites over the past weeks.
The Uruguay forward stated today: "The partnership with Adriano works because I move as a second striker while he plays as a first striker in front of me. We are all calm, the club worked well on the market; we know that there aren't any better players around than here. We have a team that can aim for the league and Champions League."

post #18 of 239 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2004, 12:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

AGAINST PARAGUAY A DRAW WILL BE ENOUGH,
BUT GENTILE WARNS:

"I WANT TO WIN"

Volos August 17, 2004
All they need is a draw to advance to the quarterfinals tomorrow evening against Paraguay at the Karaiskaki stadium in Athens (8:30 pm local time, 7:30 pm in Italy). But Claudio Gentile does not want to make any easy calculations and assures that his team will go out to win.
The coach of the Olympic team wants to finish first in the group standings and to do this the team has to beat Paraguay and then see what happens between Ghana and Japan.
Same lineup, same module, with the only doubt regarding Matteo Ferrari who has a problem with his left ankle. The decision will be made only at the last minute: his substitute could be Bovo but the coach would like to recover Ferrari and confirm the lineup of the first two matches. Against Paraguay, Gentile will count a lot on Pirlo: "He has to grow, we are expecting a lot from him because he is our fundamental point of reference".
And on Paraguay: "It is a technical team - said Gentile - but the pace will probably not be a fast one. Even if I like the Olympic village a lot, I want to win the round and go to Salonicco. It is a matter of prestige to finish first".

post #19 of 239 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2004, 12:14 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Scolari admits Brazil desire

by Francisco Acedo -

18 Aug 2004

Portugal Luiz Felipe Scolari has revealed he wants to resume as Brazil manager in 'four or five years'.

Scolari recently led Portugal to the final of Euro 2004 and insists he is still fully committed to the European nation.

However, the 55-year-old coach, who took Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002, admits the lure of leading his country once again is too strong to turn down.

"If I am selected, invited by the Brazilian national team, I will accept," he stated.

"But it will be some years from now, some four or five years from now."

Scolari is currently focused on qualifying Portugal for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany, and believes his team has a real chance of winning the tournament after their heroics earlier in the summer.

"Portugal's chances at the World Cup are excellent," he continued.

"After having reached the first final in their history at the European Championships, the Portuguese people began to believe in us. It was just what we needed.

"The crop of players is excellent, and I have gained morale for coaching as I wanted."

post #20 of 239 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2004, 08:55 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Wenger Blasts Brazil

8/20/2004

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has blasted Brazil for playing Edu and Gilberto in this weeks friendly with Haiti.
The Frenchman is furious having given Edu a three-week holiday in order for him to recover from the Copa America.

He was then due to return to London on Tuesday, but instead played 70 minutes of Brazil's friendly, which they won 6-0.

"Edu played for 70 minutes and I think that is disrespectful to the player and to the club," Wenger told The Evening Standard.

"Brazil have 200 players who could have played against Haiti - a match in which they were winning 6-0 after an hour! I try to help international managers and I try to understand as much as I can. I cannot understand this case."

"As for Gilberto playing, it is their judgment. He was genuinely injured at Everton and, at half time, I wanted him to come off but he wanted to carry on," he continued.

"They forced him to travel and, okay, that is a rule. They decided to play him and, as it was a friendly, I find it a bit surprising. But what they did with Edu was unprofessional."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in