LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2004, 12:05 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
South Americans playing...Elsewhere

Brazil stars turn on French champions Lyon

April 9, 2004

PARIS (AFP) - Lyon's Brazil stars Juninho and Edmilson claim the French champions have jeopardised their league chances by playing only one striker.

Midfielder Juninho and defender Edmilson told Le Parisien daily that compatriot Giovane Elber, bought from Bayern Munich for four million euros last summer, could not carry the team alone.

"We've only got Elber up front and he can't do everything himself," Edmilson said Friday. "We have no-one who can come in during the match to give us an extra option."

Juninho said Congo-born Peguy Luyindula and Sydney Govou had now fallen back to midfield roles.

"We need to do something about this."

Elber has already revealed he made an error in moving to France.

"It was a mistake to leave Germany," Elber told German pay-per-view channel Premiere last month.

The former VfB Stuttgart man was sold by Bayern after they recruited Dutchman Roy Makaay for 18.75 million euros from Deportivo La Coruna.

Lyon could only manage a 2-2 draw against FC Porto at home on Wednesday to go out of the European Champions League while French league leaders Monaco thrashed Real Madrid.

"Monaco started with (Fernando) Morientes and (Dado) Prso and finished with (Emmanuel) Adebayor and (Shabani) Nonda. It makes me jealous," said Juninho.

Lyon, a point behind Monaco, are away to Strasbourg on Sunday while Monaco travel to Lens on Saturday.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2004, 11:58 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Real Madrid's Ronaldo out up to two weeks with leg injury

April 12, 2004
MADRID, Spain (AP) -- World Cup star Ronaldo will be sidelined up to two weeks with a left leg injury, Real Madrid's team doctor said Monday.

The Spanish league's leading scorer was hurt during the first half of a 3-0 loss to Osasuna on Sunday.

Ronaldo will miss a key league game against rival Atletico de Madrid on Saturday, and he could be sidelined for Real Madrid's game against FC Barcelona on April 25.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2004, 17:09 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Real pair get rare Argentina call-up

BUENOS AIRES, April 13 (Reuters) - Real Madrid pair Esteban Cambiasso and Santiago Solari were both given rare call-ups by Argentina on Tuesday.
Midfielder Cambiassi and striker Solari, who are both on the fringes of the first choice Argentine squad, were named by coach Marcelo Bielsa for this month's friendly against Morocco in Casablanca.

Other players given a chance for the match on April 28 include Spanish-based goalkeeper Leonardo Franco and Real Zaragoza defender Gabriel Milito.

Bielsa did not include midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron, who last weekend made his comeback for English premier league Chelsea after a three-month injury lay-off.

The 18-man squad included 17 players from European clubs and Mexican-based striker Cesar Delgado.

The squad was announced in a statement released by the Argentina Football Association (AFA) and Bielsa was not available for comment.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 10:22 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

United set to drop South American flops

April 15, 2004

LONDON (AFP) - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has apparently decided to listen to offers for South American flops Diego Forlan and Kleberson as he begins rebuilding his squad.

Forlan has had two-and-a-half unconvincing seasons at United, while Kleberson has failed to settle following his 5 million pound move to Old Trafford last summer.

Brazil World Cup winner Kleberson has played 14 games this season and come nowhere near to satisfying Ferguson's pre-season expectations.

Forlan was hauled off after just 55 minutes of United's 1-0 win over Leicester on Tuesday and stormed straight down the tunnel.

It could well prove to be the 24-year-old's last appearance at the Theatre of Dreams, newspapers reported Thursday.

Spanish clubs Real Betis and Seville have made preliminary inquiries about Forlan, who would be allowed to leave for as little as 2.5 million pounds.

Fergie had not seen the Uruguayan play when he signed him from Independiente in January 2002 for 7.5 million pounds, relying on the advice of his brother Martin, who does the bulk of United's foreign scouting.

It took Forlan 19 games to score his first United goal and although he gained cult status with both strikes in last season's 2-1 win at arch-rivals Liverpool, he has scored just 17 times for the Reds.

With the depressed state of the transfer market, United are aware they are unlikely to receive more than half of the fee they paid for Forlan.

But getting the player's 35,000-pounds-a-week wages off the books will be an added financial bonus.

Ferguson hailed Kleberson as the man who won the World Cup for Brazil. But his family have failed to settle and that, coupled with injuries, made first season a disaster.

United skipper Roy Keane is in line to return for Saturday's trip to Portsmouth, with Ferguson hailing the midfielder's decision to return to international action with Ireland.

Keane ended his self-imposed exile by announcing his intention to play for his country again, a decision Fergie believes will keep him at the top level for another two years.

"I was happy with Roy's decision. It might be the thing that will drive him on for the next two years. There are only five competitive matches each year, and those are the ones Roy will be involved in," Ferguson said.

Keane could make his comeback in Ireland's friendly in Poland on April 28, but is more likely to feature in the opening World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland in September.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2004, 01:50
Premier Player

Edu's first Brazilian call-up

Edu is celebrating another milestone in a magnificent year after being called up to the Brazil squad for the first time.

The Arsenal midfielder will travel to Budapest for a friendly international with Hungary on April 28 after impressing coach Carlos Alberto Parreira with his midfield displays this season.

"I'm really pleased, as one of the objectives of my career was to reach the Brazil squad and today I've achieved that," said Edu on his personal website.

"Now I'm going to do whatever I can to seize this chance, as a continuation of the work I've been doing for Arsenal."

Edu is enjoying his best season at Highbury since arriving in London in January 2001, featuring reguarly in the first team and scoring seven goals, including three in the Champions League.

His Brazil call-up is yet more good news in a memorable 12 months for the 25-year-old. He got married last summer and his wife, Paula, recently gave birth to their first son, Luigi.

And if Arsenal win the Premiership, they could be parading the trophy at Highbury on May 15 - the final day of the season and Edu's 26th birthday.

"I've been in good form since the beginning of the season, with many things going favourably for me, on and off the pitch," added Edu.

"But I know I have to keep working hard for everything to get better still. Now I just have to enjoy this moment with my wife and son, waiting for the time I can pull on the Brazilian shirt."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2004, 01:59
Premier Player

Boro join Cavenaghi hunt

Middlesbrough are reported to have joined the race for River Plate striker Fernando Cavenaghi - one of the hottest properties in South America.
The Argentine starlet is being tipped to move on this summer, and River are already believed to have opened talks with Colon de Santa Fe for their star striker Cesar Carignano.

Moscow sides Lokomotiv, CSKA and Dinamo have all made contact in the last few days, while the likes of Juventus, Milan and Barcelona have long been admirers of his talents.

However, Boro - who are looking for at least one top quality striker - have been attracted by Cavenaghi and his goalscoring feats.

"In the last hours, the three most important teams from Russia, Lokomotiv, CSKA and Dinamo have asked about Cavenaghi," said the player's Argentine representative Nestor Sivori.

"They haven't spoken about how much they are going to offer to River for his transfer but they have called me a number of times and also to thee River's officials.

"If I have to choose where I would like the player to continue his career I would prefer another place.

"I have also been called from Middlesbrough, they wanted to know how much would River want for the player," added Sivori.

"Juventus, Milan and Torino have showed their interest in him for a long time."

Boro are obviously buoyed by their Carling Cup victory and will be aiming high in the transfer market this summer, and talk of a player such as Cavenaghi is sure to excite the Teesside faithful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am surprised that teams for Russia asked for Cavenaghi.I mean he has proved his value in the Argentine league and i can't see him anywhere but in a big european league's big club.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2004, 22:12 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Emerson treble in Reds romp

Brazilian striker Emerson scored a hat-trick as under-fire Urawa thrashed Oita Trinita 4-1 at home to go fourth in the J-League on Sunday.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2004, 23:46
Premier Player

In a great match for the Champion League,Hernan Crespo was the scorer for Chelsea but they lost 3-1 by Monaco,in France.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2004, 10:21 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Hernan Crespo...another S American headinn for S America veryyy soon ... His european travels are just about over with ...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2004, 21:56 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Is Rivaldo makkin the trip to England finally ??? or Not ???

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2004, 11:16 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Emerson puts Reds second in J-League

TOKYO, May 9 (Reuters) - Brazilian striker Emerson netted his second hat-trick in three weeks on Sunday to give Urawa Reds a 3-0 win at Albirex Niigata and second place in the J-League.
The 2003 J-League player of the year took advantage of poor defending from promoted Albirex, completing his hat-trick with a breakaway goal nine minutes from time in front of 41,000 in rain-drenched Niigata.

Urawa, managed by former German World Cup winner Guido Buchwald, improved to 17 points from nine first-stage matches but still trail leaders Jubilo Iwata by seven points.

'We are beginning to click as a team,' said Emerson, who has already scored 11 league goals this season. 'I'm just happy to have done my job, which was to keep us in the hunt for the title.'

Albirex, J-2 champions last year, dropped to the bottom of the table on six points.

Jubilo beat Gamba Osaka 2-0 at Expo Stadium thanks to second-half goals from forward Ryoichi Maeda and Brazilian Rodrigo Gral on his return from suspension.

Champions Yokohama F-Marinos won 3-1 at home to erratic Tokyo Verdy to go third behind Urawa on goal difference.

But Yokohama, who have a game in hand on the clubs above them, needed injury-time goals from substitute Yukihiko Sato and South Korea striker Ahn Jung-hwan at International Stadium.

Elsewhere, Cerezo Osaka climbed off the foot of the first division with a 2-1 victory at Shimizu S-Pulse in a bad-tempered match which included 13 yellow and two red cards -- both for Cerezo players.

JEF United Ichihara slipped to fourth on 15 points after being held 1-1 by visiting Nagoya Grampus Eight.

Japan midfielder Mitsuo Ogasawara scored twice as Kashima Antlers overpowered Kyushu club Oita Trinita 3-0 at home to go fifth on 14 points.

Elsewhere, Sanfrecce Hiroshima beat Vissel Kobe 2-0 at Big Arch Stadium while FC Tokyo edged struggling Kashiwa Reysol 2-1 at home.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2004, 00:03
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by colocolo
Is Rivaldo makkin the trip to England finally ??? or Not ???

His case could be a Brazilian series as well.Bolton were near to take him to Reebok Stadium but some days before manager Sam Alardaice said "we tried but we could not agree for a deal",

In the same time Glasgow Celtic tries to agree with him too,Bolton's chairman says he has a fax from Rivaldo that he prefer the English than the Scottish League when Rivaldo says "i got in contact with Giovanni,asking him some things",and the Greek newspapers remembered again that Rivaldo is still free and has a close friendship with Giovanni.

Complicative case,but IMO Rivaldo will prefer the trip to England finally...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2004, 01:44
Premier Player

Marcio Amoroso...

...an other Brazilian with great talent that rised and fell.He was transfered from Parma to Dortmund with a record fee for German standarts.Now...he tries to prove Glasgow Celtic's manager,O'Neill,that he deserves a place in the team.

A Brazilian international on trials...and O'Neill said "He needs very hard work to improve his fitness but i heard that money spent for this guy in the past were too much,so i want to keep trialing him"....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in