LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2004, 10:37 Thread Starter
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
Greece Olympics 04/Football Notes

Nicolás Burdisso, Argentina’s Olympic talisman

(FIFA.com) 23 Mar 2004

The Olympic Games remains the only major tournament not to feature in Argentina’s otherwise replete honours list. Most recent reversals include a runners up spot in 1996, when the Albiceleste fell foul of a last minute goal by Nigeria; followed by a dismal failure last time out when a star-studded line-up floundered at the qualifying stage for Sydney 2000. This time around, with U-23 captain Nicolás Burdisso marshalling play, Marcelo Bielsa’s cohorts will be out to snatch the only big trophy which has eluded them.
With five months to go till the kick off in Athens, FIFA.com talked exclusively to the Boca Juniors defender, who despite his tender years (22), has already picked up no less than nine major honours. Burdisso, like his team-mates and countrymen, dreams of bringing Olympic gold back to Argentina.

FIFA.com: It is now two months since you won the South American Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Chile. Looking back, how would you sum up the team’s performance?
Nicolás Burdisso: It was extremely encouraging, not just qualifying - which was our objective – but also winning the title. Now that we have got past that hurdle, we have our sights firmly set on the only major honour still eluding Argentina. To win gold however, we must arrive in Athens in the best possible shape. The Olympic qualifying tournament was extremely demanding; you had to play every couple of days and there was so little time to recover between games. That’s where teamwork was important, with everyone pulling together from the team doctors to the kit man.

Missing out on qualification for Sydney 2000 was a huge disappointment for Argentinians. Did that weigh heavily on the players’ minds this time around?
No, not especially, but we were conscious of the fact that they had been a great team with big name stars yet had still failed to qualify. Luckily for us, we had a savvy group of players and fantastic team spirit, we just got better as the tournament wore on. Having said that the team never got complacent or rested on its laurels and in the end, I think that showed.

Were you surprised to see Paraguay qualify?
No, I wasn’t. When we came up against them in the final phase you could see how much they had grown from their earlier games. Along with Brazil they gave us our toughest test. They could well have beaten us if we had not stamped out our errors and turned the game round in the second half. They were definitely one of the teams of the tournament.

Was it particularly sweet knocking Brazil out along the way?
There’s no denying the rivalry between the countries but I would not go that far. It’s certainly nice to know that one of our main rivals for the gold medal will not be in Athens but I think what we achieved was remarkable irrespective of what happened with Brazil.

In Bielsa’s teams, it is the players who choose the captain. How did it feel to be selected by your teammates?
I felt immensely proud and flattered. I can’t deny it. My team-mates chose me to captain them and I tried to do that as best I could on the pitch. What responsibility and what an honour!

What new options will the inclusion of the overseas players and the over 23’s give to the squad?
We know that there will be changes to the squad that played in the qualifiers to accommodate the arrival of the overseas players in Athens. It’s up to us though to continue to perform for our teams to make the squad for the games. The most important thing is for Argentina to have a huge pool of talent to choose from.

Your manager Bielsa does not give exclusive interviews. How would you describe him as a coach.
He is passionate about the game and has very particular ideas on how it should be played. His training methods are novel and extremely intense, for example, working separately with the backs, the wide men and those up front and always trying to recreate match-day situations on the training field. He’s a straight talker and has a great feel for the game, something he is able to impart to those around him.

What are you aiming to achieve in Athens?
We have to bring home the gold, it really is that simple. Our tradition demands it and Argentina demands it. When I say this, I mean no disrespect for the other teams who will be there. Personally, I hope to keep my place in the national team, which for me is the greatest honour that can be bestowed on any footballer.

You are only 22, yet you have already won 9 major honours including the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Intercontinental with Boca Juniors and the FIFA World Youth Championship with Argentina. What’s your secret?
There’s no magic formula. You have to understand that every time Boca or Argentina take to the field, we are expected to win, it is demanded of us. Of course a lot also depends on your coach. I am fortunate to have played under some of the best.

Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero

Last edited by colocolo; March 31st, 2004 at 15:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2004, 13:02 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Barcelona's Marquez to reinforce Mexican Olympic team

MEXICO CITY, April 5 (Reuters) - Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez will be one of the over-age players in Mexico's team at the Athens Olympics in August.

"Marquez is the first reinforcement, there are two more to go," Mexico coach Ricardo Lavolpe told reporters on Monday.

Strikers Cuauhtemoc Blanco and Jared Borgetti, and midfielder Gerardo Torardo, who all played for Mexico at the 2002 World Cup, are among the favourites to take the other places.

The Olympic soccer tournament is restricted to under-23 teams but each side can field up to three over-age players.

Lavolpe, reserve goalkeeper in Argentina's victorious 1978 World Cup squad, is coach of both the senior and Olympic teams.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2004, 18:42 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

International Friendly Match

The Hellenic Football Federation (E.P.O.) will organise in Thessaloniki the International Friendly match between the Men Olympic Teams of Greece and Germany on 27 April. The match will be played in the Kaftanzoglio Stadium where games will be played during the Olympic Tournament in August 2004.
As part of the preparation for the Olympic Games 2004, the Organising Committee for the Olympic Games ATHENS 2004 will test the technology, the field of play and the human workforce.

The Friendly match between the Men Olympic Teams of Greece and Germany will be played according to the official rules of International Federation of Football (FIFA).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 02:25
Premier Player

Why such laughing Carlos?

Greece,without the 3 overaged players have already a very competent team.Abaris (Iraklis) Vallas,Taralidis (Olympiakos) Moras (AEK) , Vydra (Panathinaikos) Salpiggidis (PAOK) Amanatidis (Eintrect) are very good players.Although last month's home 0-0 against Australia was not the best result.Greece have to work on that team (i mean the coaches as the rest of Greeks have obviously our eyes in Portugal) and we can do very well in the Omympic tournament.Esecially with possible call ups of overaged players like Zikos (Monaco) Stoltidis (Olympiakos) who are not in the senior squad.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2004, 10:20 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

it was due to the status of the game ... friendly ....my ..... no such thing in soccer .... exhibition game mayb ... but friendly ??? Never .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in